• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say a lot more power and roughly equivalent speed. I don't believe Bloomquist hit more than 20 career HRs and he had a pretty long career.

I'm not sure if it is true but I heard Willie holds the MLB record for most consecutive hits without an extra base hit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if it is true but I heard Willie holds the MLB record for most consecutive hits without an extra base hit.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I recall hearing something like that myself, couldn't remember if it was an extra base hit or home run.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I recall hearing something like that myself, couldn't remember if it was an extra base hit or home run.

Probably was a homerun, I really don't know. I vaguely remember hearing something about it when he re-signed with the Mariners a few years back.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say a lot more power and roughly equivalent speed. I don't believe Bloomquist hit more than 20 career HRs and he had a pretty long career.

He has hit 2 home runs since May 1st (140 AB's). He has some power, but not a lot vs anyone even Willie IMO. And I have never just counted home runs as a power rating. Balls in the gap or over OF's heads is also a mark for me.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has hit 2 home runs since May 1st (140 AB's). He has some power, but not a lot vs anyone even Willie IMO. And I have never just counted home runs as a power rating. Balls in the gap or over OF's heads is also a mark for me.

Was mostly using his 9 MLB HRs and his minor league track record as an indication. Motter seems like a guy who could hit 10-15 a year.

His doubles numbers don't look great in his brief time at the majors, but for what it's worth he hit 43 doubles with 14 HRs in 127 games with Tampa's AAA affiliate back in 2015.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was mostly using his 9 MLB HRs and his minor league track record as an indication. Motter seems like a guy who could hit 10-15 a year.

Ya I am not a 'could' guy. Ackley could have won a batting title in MLB with his college pedigree.

His doubles numbers don't look great in his brief time at the majors, but for what it's worth he hit 43 doubles with 14 HRs in 127 games with Tampa's AAA affiliate back in 2015.

Not a MiLB stat fan either. I get your points and not trying to argue just for the sake of argument, but I have learned long ago to not evaluate or rate based on projections.

:suds:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Non Mariners Trade:

Evan Drellich‏Verified account @EvanDrellich 5m5 minutes ago

Red Sox announce the trade: Eduardo Nunez from Giants for minor league RHPs Shaun Anderson and Gregory Santos.
If the Mariners make this trade: Kyle Lewis, Nick Neidert, Evan White, Andrew Moore, Dan Vogelbach, Thyago Vieira and they get to pick any 4 players they want from the major league roster. And it wouldn't be for Nunez a guy that has been in the majors and hitting over .300 it would be for CJ Hinojosa.

Then Dipstick would tell us: "Obviously CJ has great baseball character, fits into our uniform and smells like a rose garden during bloom. Oh and he is under team control forever. This was a no brainer. The guys we gave up would have been blocked for centuries because our current roster is the best thing on earth."

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hoping they either go all in or all out. No more mediocrity.

If buyers, would love to trade Kyle Lewis+ for a young SP like Gray or whoever else available+a cheaper guy(assuming) like Mat Harvey, keeping in mind they can use Gallardo's and possibly Iwakuma's cancelled salary this off season to re sign him/them under the Mariners budget plans, whatever that may be.

Felix, Paxton, Gray, Harvey, Iwakuma (if healthy) would be a nice scenario. :)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hoping they either go all in or all out. No more mediocrity.

If buyers, would love to trade Kyle Lewis+ for a young SP like Gray or whoever else available+a cheaper guy(assuming) like Mat Harvey, keeping in mind they can use Gallardo's and possibly Iwakuma's cancelled salary this off season to re sign him/them under the Mariners budget plans, whatever that may be.

Felix, Paxton, Gray, Harvey, Iwakuma (if healthy) would be a nice scenario. :)

I recall seeing something on MLBTR that indicated that the Mariners FO doesn't seem very optimistic that Kuma will pitch again this year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal
2 hrs ·
The rumblings persist, mostly from rival clubs.

Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto is going to make another trade, perhaps his biggest yet.

Jerry Dipoto is going to get Sonny Gray.

At the moment, there appears to be little basis to the rumblings — the Mariners and Athletics have not spoken in about a week, according to one major-league source.

In addition, there also is significant doubt whether the Mariners possess enough young talent to land Gray, with one rival exec saying, “I don’t see them as a threat at all.”

Well, the non-waiver deadline isn’t until Monday at 4 p.m. ET. And Dipoto has proven that he is a deal-maker, a kindred spirit to his Athletics counterpart, Billy Beane.

Before getting to the larger question (Would a Gray trade be the right thing for the Mariners?), let’s start with the more pressing one (Is such a deal even possible?)

In February, Baseball America ranked the Mariners’ farm system 23rd in the majors — and that was before the team’s recent trade of its No. 2 prospect, outfielder Tyler O’Neill, for left-hander Marco Gonzales.

The Athletics, according to sources, liked O’Neill, viewed him as a player they would want in a package for Gray. Without him, the Mariners almost certainly would need to include a major-league outfielder — perhaps Mitch Haniger — along with their top prospect, outfielder Kyle Lewis, the No. 11 pick in the 2016 draft, who last month returned from major knee surgery. And more.

Even then, any offer from the Mariners might fail to meet the minimum baseline the Athletics will require to move Gray — a baseline that prospect-rich teams such as the Yankees and Braves more easily could reach, if willing.

Dipoto, if he figured out a way to get Gray, would need to replace any major leaguer he traded, be it Haniger or someone else (Haniger has slumped since returning from a strained right oblique, batting .200 with a .600 OPS in 147 plate appearances).

The GM, though, could fill such a hole by taking advantage of a buyer’s market for outfielders and landing a potential free agent such as the Mets’ Jay Bruce or Curtis Granderson, at the cost of yet another prospect.

When does it end?

Dipoto, in his 22 months as Mariners GM, has traded like it’s 1999 and the world will end on Y2K.

“I’ve never gotten it,” one rival executive says. “It feels like he has made 348 trades to turn a .500 team into a .500 team.”

Actually, the Mariners improved from 76 wins in 2015 to 86 in ’16, their first full season under Dipoto. They currently are 51-52, yet only 3-1/2 games out of a wild-card berth.

Fool’s gold.

Fangraphs projects that the M’s stand a 17.5 percent of reaching the one-game wild-card playoff and a 0.4 percent chance of reaching the World Series.

So, why even bother with Gray?

For one thing, the Mariners’ 15-year postseason drought is the longest in the majors. For another, time is running out for a club built around three aging stars that Dipoto inherited — designated hitter Nelson Cruz, 37; second baseman Robinson Cano, 34; and right-hander Felix Hernandez, 31.

The danger is that the Mariners will crash once their window shuts, forcing a massive rebuild. (Cruz is signed through 2018, Hernandez ’19 and Cano ’23.) Dipoto left behind a poor farm system with the Angels, in part due to reasons that were beyond his control. He is risking the same with the Mariners.

Some in the game, though, believe he has no choice.

One rival executive, when informed of the criticism that Dipoto is torching the Mariners’ farm system, responded, “I don’t think he’s burning it to the ground. I think he knows it’s already on fire and is trying to do what he can with the assets he has.”

Dipoto, in an interview earlier this season, refuted the idea that “we had blown up the farm system,” pointing out that he had in many cases simply traded players at the lower levels for those at the upper levels. The team’s roster reflects the influx of upper-level talent — the Mariners have used 19 rookies this season.

Neither of Dipoto’s most recent trades qualifies as a “sell-the-farm” move — O’Neill brought back Gonzales, a 25-year-old starting pitcher under six years of control, and while the acquisition of setup man David Phelps through 2018 cost the Mariners four prospects, the centerpiece was a 19-year-old outfielder, Brayan Hernandez.

The acquisition of Gray would cost the Mariners additional pieces — pieces more likely to haunt them in the future. But under Dipoto’s blueprint, it actually would be the logical next step. What’s the point of being a .500 club with a poor farm system and aging roster?

The Mariners are bound to crash. They might as well go all-out for Gray before experiencing full impact.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two issues I would have trading Lewis for Gray

1. Lewis is all that the farm system has in case a big trade is possible in the off-season. (Selling the future for a one game playoff seems silly to me)

2. Gray is an injury waiting to happen with his frame.

To me, it is better to ride this year then either buy a pitcher in the off season or make a deal then.

I wanted Verlander because it wouldn't have taken the farm to get him if they are the contract and he fits the window of the stars of the team. They have a nucleus to build on once Cruz and Felix's contracts are either gone or resigned cheaper.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two issues I would have trading Lewis for Gray

1. Lewis is all that the farm system has in case a big trade is possible in the off-season. (Selling the future for a one game playoff seems silly to me)

2. Gray is an injury waiting to happen with his frame.

To me, it is better to ride this year then either buy a pitcher in the off season or make a deal then.

I wanted Verlander because it wouldn't have taken the farm to get him if they are the contract and he fits the window of the stars of the team. They have a nucleus to build on once Cruz and Felix's contracts are either gone or resigned cheaper.

Gray scares me as well, but so does Lewis for that matter. I would trade him in the right deal, not 100% Gray is the right deal. I am 100% that whoever we get right now won't help this team this year. We are the same team we were under Jack and that is a teaser team. Not good enough to play with the big boys, and not bad enough to get a stud draft pick. The hardest thing in sports is getting out of the middle.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray scares me as well, but so does Lewis for that matter. I would trade him in the right deal, not 100% Gray is the right deal. I am 100% that whoever we get right now won't help this team this year. We are the same team we were under Jack and that is a teaser team. Not good enough to play with the big boys, and not bad enough to get a stud draft pick. The hardest thing in sports is getting out of the middle.

The Lewis part scares me to which is why I was so against the O'Neill trade. Ya, he's not a CF but the M's have Heredia or Haniger who can play CF. I almost am pissed in a way because Jerry has essentially made Lewis unreadable which no prospect should be if the deal is right. The Mariners nor any major league team should ever not have at least one top 100 prospect

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time believing Gray is the answer right now. I think even if you add Gray this team would still need to rely on the guys that are already on the current roster to play better than they are right now. Either way the current Mariners need to be better and more consistent. That being said if the price is right then I am ok with a Gray trade, however the price will not be right and Dip will likely overpay yet again.

Dipoto is in a position right now where he could end up with only a few drops left in the prospect bucket and its already very thin.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall seeing something on MLBTR that indicated that the Mariners FO doesn't seem very optimistic that Kuma will pitch again this year.
:burt:

The Athletics, according to sources, liked O’Neill, viewed him as a player they would want in a package for Gray. Without him, the Mariners almost certainly would need to include a major-league outfielder — perhaps Mitch Haniger — along with their top prospect, outfielder Kyle Lewis
:burt:

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3