• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly don't understand what is going on here. How does giving up any of the outfielders on the roster plus prospects for Gray help the team this year? Sure you add much needed pitching but giving up Gamel or Haniger leaves a hole. How does giving up anything for Duda help? I'm just confused on the direction of the team.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly don't understand what is going on here. How does giving up any of the outfielders on the roster plus prospects for Gray help the team this year? Sure you add much needed pitching but giving up Gamel or Haniger leaves a hole. How does giving up anything for Duda help? I'm just confused on the direction of the team.

If he gives up either of those two outfielders I'm sooo done with this team!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brent Stecker‏ @BrentStecker 23m23 minutes ago

Jerry Dipoto tells @DDMon710 a call-up for Marco Gonzales to the @Mariners is "coming up shortly ... whether it's five days or 15 days."

Jessamyn McIntyre‏Verified account @JessamynMcIntyr 8m8 minutes ago

Dipoto on trades: "We'd love to add something more to help this team out...the likelihood is that would still be on the pitching staff." Jerry Dipoto says he feels Tyler O'Neill and Marco Gonzales are on the same prospective value level. Gonzales fits #Mariners needs better

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brent Stecker‏ @BrentStecker 23m23 minutes ago

Jerry Dipoto tells @DDMon710 a call-up for Marco Gonzales to the @Mariners is "coming up shortly ... whether it's five days or 15 days."

Jessamyn McIntyre‏Verified account @JessamynMcIntyr 8m8 minutes ago

Dipoto on trades: "We'd love to add something more to help this team out...the likelihood is that would still be on the pitching staff." Jerry Dipoto says he feels Tyler O'Neill and Marco Gonzales are on the same prospective value level. Gonzales fits #Mariners needs better

A 4th starter is that valuable? Isn't that an incitement on how he has done on the job? He's made how many trades and one of his top prospects was essentially garbage? Sorry guys, I'm out on Dipoto. I know it doesn't matter but he came in with all this hype about being so smart and he has essentially landed us in the same purgatory we have been in. I know Smyly getting hurt sucked but damn, we are never good enough or bad enough and him giving up on O'Neill before he took 1 AB in the bigs for another Danny Hultzen really bothers me.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Head scratcher part 2: Via Jon Heyman

12. Yonder Alonso, A’s 1B.

The decision: They’d trade him if they can find a market.

The smart money: They could try to re-sign him if he’d do something reasonable by Oakland standards, but they probably need to take the best deal they can find.

Teams linked: Yankees, Mariners

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another:

20. Clayton Richard, Padres SP.

The decision: The Padres did pretty well with their $1.75-million starters, and Richard is drawing interest, as well as Jhoulys Chacin. (Trevor Cahill is already gone, to the Royals.)

The smart money: They find a taker.

Teams linked: None yet.

Best bets: 1. Pirates. 2. Mariners. 3. Royals.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another head scratcher:

Jon Heyman‏Verified account @JonHeyman 39m39 minutes ago

mariners, yanks appear to be main teams on lucas duda, who's a free agent after year. dominic smith waiting in the wings.

I recall seeing that the Mariners were really into Lucas Duda. That I really, really, really don't get. Valencia has been solid at 1B. Could we use an upgrade? Sure. But why expend prospects for a rental who doesn't improve the team that much?

This, and the interest in Asdrubal Cabrera are two of the bigger head scratchers for me. The only plausible explanation for interest in Cabrera or Duda is if JD were to trade for them, then flip them to someone else who has pitching and likes those guys. I honestly don't know. That's the only explanation I can conjure up.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A name to consider is Ervin Santana. Word is the Twins may be open to selling.

Santana is due I believe $15m this year and next. He has been very consistent. Given his age and contract, I can't imagine it would take a top prospect to land him.

Also it's kind of interesting that Darvish hasn't come up. I know the whole inter-divisional rivals thing, plus the fact that Darvish is a rental, but it doesn't seem as if JD is shying away from rentals at this point. I would personally rather try to sign him in the offseason to some disgusting contract and not give up prospects, but food for thought.

Also the Marlins are considering moving Dan Straily. He's 28, doesn't hit free agency until 2021, had a 3.76 ERA in 31 starts last year and a 3.84 ERA this year. Would've much rather sent O'Neill for Straily...

Also unsure what Straily's ground ball rate is, but it appears his biggest issue is the longball, which makes me assume he's a fly-ball pitcher. I'm too lazy to look at fangraphs and confirm that, but as a fly-ball pitcher he'd be a great fit in Safeco with our rangey outfielders.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find Dipoto's strategy very bizarre. In the off season it seemed to have brought in some good players but also create new wholes. One step forward one step back kind of a thing.
What annoys me about his approach during the deadline is it feels like panicked chaos. I fear Dipoto making an irrational decision and break the back of the farm for something that won't help right now.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find Dipoto's strategy very bizarre. In the off season it seemed to have brought in some good players but also create new wholes. One step forward one step back kind of a thing.
What annoys me about his approach during the deadline is it feels like panicked chaos. I fear Dipoto making an irrational decision and break the back of the farm for something that won't help right now.

It's one thing if he made an irrational decision to improve a position of need (SP), but looking at guys like Yonder Alonso, Lucas Duda and Cabrera really make me scratch my head.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here I'm hoping we re-sign Valencia and for some dumbass reason we are connected to multiple first baseman :gaah:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here I'm hoping we re-sign Valencia and for some dumbass reason we are connected to multiple first baseman :gaah:

In a way they kind of have to re sign him since Jerry's big trade of getting one of the Cubs top prospects backfired, there isn't really one. I really don't think DJ is ready to play everyday and Valencia at least proved viable after April.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure O'Neill will be an all star in a couple years. Since I've become a secondary MLB fan of the Cubs, I'll report back after he's destroying the Cubs...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The weird thing is that the 1B we are connected to are all guys who are free agents at the end of the season. Mariners could ride Valencia through the end of the year, and if they like Alonso or Duda so much, they can go after them in free agency.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even get the interest in Alonso.

In over 300 games between 2014-2016, Alonso had 19 home runs.

In 91 games this year he has 21 home runs. He's poor defensively and from 2014-2016 didn't hit well enough to compensate for his poor defense. I don't expect that these power numbers are going to be sustained. Either way, I'd still take Valencia over Alonso. Valencia also offers us value because he can play 3B and OF.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weird thing is that the 1B we are connected to are all guys who are free agents at the end of the season. Mariners could ride Valencia through the end of the year, and if they like Alonso or Duda so much, they can go after them in free agency.

Which makes this entire rumor sound like BS because JeDi said plain as day that any deal made would be for both now and the future.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which makes this entire rumor sound like BS because JeDi said plain as day that any deal made would be for both now and the future.

Which is where my venom for this Gray trade talk is coming from. He just traded their top OF prospect that is major league ready (or close) then these rumors come with him going after Gray (who would be under team control) but adding Gamel or Haniger. Adding by subtracting made sense if you called up O'Neill. Otherwise you're riding Motter or Martin as part of your starting rotation in the OF during the dog days of August. Literally nothing adds up logically.