• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be alone in this thought, but I prefer Erasmus over Moore at this point. Plus, I don't mind allowing Cishek to not blow late leads this late in the season. I think we get a little better with this deal, but by a small margin.

You can obtain 100 Moore like pitchers but in the end you still have a Moore like pitcher. I rate this trade as FAIL.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you told me we got those three guys for O'Neill alone, or we got those three guys for everyone in the "Gone" list except O'Neill I would feel a lot better. When you combine all of those guys and include O'Neill it's a little gut wrenching. As some of you know, I'm not necessarily as high on O'Neill as some on these boards, but I do feel we could have fetched much more than we did.

I think this is a great way of putting it. Agree 100%

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can obtain 100 Moore like pitchers but in the end you still have a Moore like pitcher. I rate this trade as FAIL.

Where does Erasmo fall in the scheme of things?

Will he be a starter or relief?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does Erasmo fall in the scheme of things?

Will he be a starter or relief?

As a starter he is a Moore type starter, and as a reliever he is worse than Cishek. This is why I don't see the advantage for this deal other than Ramirez can pitch in long relief but if you need long relief often you aren't making the playoffs anyways.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NWinAZ & unlvmariners, I need you guys to step back and take a deep breath........nothing to worry about.

Why you ask?

Training camp starts Sunday and this will all be a distant headache :lol:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cishek always scares me when he comes in so this one isn't so bad. Plus, Ramirez is an upgrade over Moore at the current moment.

Agreed... But this isn't that exciting to me anyways... This team doesn't have the horses to make a legit run, especially since Felix is just a major shell of his former self...

At least mgmt is trying to put a winning product out on the field...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad that this organization waited until Felix was pretty much done before legitimately trying to put a competitive, winning product out on the field... Now SP is our weakness, which includes Felix... This org seemed happy and content to collect the revenue generated from the fans when Felix pitched during his prime... Sold out games, even though the team wasn't that good... This org has made bank due to Felix and they didn't really try to put a winning product on the field that would compete for a WS... Just shows what kind of character Felix has, since he's never really ripped mgmt. for not getting better talent on the field... Opposite of what LeBron has done...

All in all, it's just sad to see Felix's career end like this w/out any postseason games under his belt...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck... lmao, it just keeps getting better. :doh:

Cischek >> Ramirez as reliever
Moore = Ramirez as starter. Might give a slight nod to Moore.

Another fail trade. :pound:

Oh not to mention the trade happen between 2 teams LOOKING FOR EXACT SAME THING. TB got better in the bullpen from this one. Good one Dip.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move in a way I understand. This is an instance where the word controllable makes sense. But on the same note this move is kind of throwing in the towel too. Tampa is ahead of the Mariners and this move strengthens Tampa alot more than Ramirez helps the rotation or pen IMO.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that this trade is a fail if the idea is to make Rameriz a starter. In reviewing his stats as a starter, he is not an upgrade over Moore nor Gallardo. If he is going to actually be Cishek's replacement as a mid/late inning reliever, then I see the trade as a pretty big win.

8 starts, 38.2 IPs: 6.05 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 7 HR
18 Relief appearances, 30.2 IP: 3.22 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 3 HR.

I especially like that 0.85 WHIP and homerun-to-IP rate. Our bullpen (Including Cishek) has been allowing way too many hitters to go to Dong Town on them.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stottlemyre has to go home every night after a one of these trades and drinks the night away.....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the fuck we traded Cishek for Erasmo Ramirez? is this fake news this can't be real. Why? I can't keep doing this
I agree that this trade is a fail if the idea is to make Rameriz a starter. In reviewing his stats as a starter, he is not an upgrade over Moore nor Gallardo. If he is going to actually be Cishek's replacement as a mid/late inning reliever, then I see the trade as a pretty big win.

8 starts, 38.2 IPs: 6.05 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 7 HR
18 Relief appearances, 30.2 IP: 3.22 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 3 HR.

I especially like that 0.85 WHIP and homerun-to-IP rate. Our bullpen (Including Cishek) has been allowing way too many hitters to go to Dong Town on them.

I expect that the move was to put Ramirez in the rotation. Phelps is capable of long relief, and is a much better pitcher.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stat is pretty startling, if not surprising:

How much have the injuries to Drew Smyly and Hisashi Iwakuma hurt the Mariners? James Paxton, Ariel Miranda and Felix Hernandez are 22-11 with a 3.73 ERA while the other 10 starters are 11-25 with a 5.72 ERA. They just acquired versatile Erasmo Ramirez from the Rays for Steve Cishek, and while Ramirez has been better in relief, he may get a chance to start.

Hell, even a 4.50 ERA combined from Ramirez and Gonzales would be a vast improvement for the Mariners. Could be the logic behind JD making moves for guys without a high ceiling. Who knows?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect that the move was to put Ramirez in the rotation. Phelps is capable of long relief, and is a much better pitcher.
I'm very confident the trade is to Ramirez start, it's a downgrade to put him in the pen. I think he'll end up taking Moore's or Gallardo's spot, which sad to say but at its current state, is an upgrade as proven by your later post.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stat is pretty startling, if not surprising:

How much have the injuries to Drew Smyly and Hisashi Iwakuma hurt the Mariners? James Paxton, Ariel Miranda and Felix Hernandez are 22-11 with a 3.73 ERA while the other 10 starters are 11-25 with a 5.72 ERA. They just acquired versatile Erasmo Ramirez from the Rays for Steve Cishek, and while Ramirez has been better in relief, he may get a chance to start.

Hell, even a 4.50 ERA combined from Ramirez and Gonzales would be a vast improvement for the Mariners. Could be the logic behind JD making moves for guys without a high ceiling. Who knows?

I think that ERA can be deceiving because of Bergmann. He actually pitched great except two starts where his ERA ballooned.

This move is just odd if they want him starting because this is a move he should've made once he found out Kuma had his first set back then when Smyly was done. I'm not against it, it's just frustrating that this is yet another deal Jerry has made that doesn't help them now or in the future. Depth of number 5 starters isn't exactly how I would build a starting rotation but I'm also not a GM.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that ERA can be deceiving because of Bergmann. He actually pitched great except two starts where his ERA ballooned.

This move is just odd if they want him starting because this is a move he should've made once he found out Kuma had his first set back then when Smyly was done.
I'm not against it, it's just frustrating that this is yet another deal Jerry has made that doesn't help them now or in the future. Depth of number 5 starters isn't exactly how I would build a starting rotation but I'm also not a GM.

Greg Johns‏Verified account @GregJohnsMLB 1h1 hour ago

Erasmo Ramirez will move into rotation and start a Tuesday in Texas.