• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean shit, we gave up one of our top prospects for Gonzales and Gonzales is major league ready. Not sure why they would pick Erasmo over Gonzales.
Gonzalez had a solid start tonight pitching solid 6 innings and earning a 4-3 win. He'll get the call-up soon enough.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Rays/Yanks got me thinking that the Smyly trade may have cost us two SP's. Getting Smyly and him getting hurt cost us one while the guy we traded for him (Smith) may have been a center piece to getting Gray. If it weren't for bad luck...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Rays/Yanks got me thinking that the Smyly trade may have cost us two SP's. Getting Smyly and him getting hurt cost us one while the guy we traded for him (Smith) may have been a center piece to getting Gray. If it weren't for bad luck...

Or we could have Luiz Gohara back, who is currently ranked the #76 prospect in baseball by Baseball America. Recently got the call up to AAA at 20, with a 2.60 ERA in 11 starts in AA.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or we could have Luiz Gohara back, who is currently ranked the #76 prospect in baseball by Baseball America. Recently got the call up to AAA at 20, with a 2.60 ERA in 11 starts in AA.

Ya, but we had to trade him to get Shae Simmons...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, don't understand how Jerry with a straight face and say he is building up the farm system or really building for the future, unless he knows something we don't about ownership willing to open up the wallet for starters. I get Jack Z went and nuked the farm system a couple of times after Bavasi but he also got back impact players.

Jerry has jettisoned basically every top prospect outside of Petersen since he took the job. For the future he has set up a rotation of Paxton and bunch of 4's (not sure about Felix) then he has set up a lineup who will be lucky to top 100 hr's.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent Pitching:

Starting pitching

Jake Arrieta, the 2015 National League Cy Young Award winner, is the most accomplished name here, though it will be interesting to see how he bounces back from his '16 statistical regression (his ERA+ dropped from 215 to 129) or, for that matter, if the Cubs wind up extending him. Arrieta will be entering his age-32 season when he reaches free-agent eligibility.

Yu Darvish is the other headliner. He'll be entering his age-31 season, and he might have his best seasons ahead of him now that he's two years removed from Tommy John surgery. Darvish pitched just 100 1/3 innings last year.

The wild cards are Johnny Cueto and Masahiro Tanaka, both of whom have opt-out clauses in their deals. Cueto's free-agent value last offseason was difficult to discern after his rocky tenure with the Royals, but he delivered in Year 1 for the Giants with an 18-5 record, a 2.79 ERA and a 147 ERA+ in 219 2/3 innings. Tanaka has a partial tear in his ulnar collateral ligament, but that hasn't stopped him from logging a 3.26 ERA and a 130 ERA+ for the Yankees over the past two seasons.

Wei-Yin Chen also has an opt-out clause with the Marlins, but his first year in Miami was a rough one. Ian Kennedy can opt out of the three years and $43 million remaining on his Royals contract, but that seems iffy.

Chris Tillman will be an attractive option, entering his age-30 season. Over the past four years, he's been a bit better than league average (105 ERA+) and averaged 190 innings in a tough division. Marco Estrada, having backed up his 2015 breakout with a 124 ERA+ in '16, could be positioning himself for a better deal than the two years and $26 million he got from Toronto a year ago. Clay Buchholz's move to Philadelphia will merit monitoring, as he was good for the Red Sox down the stretch last season. Some of the other names of note will include John Lackey, Alex Cobb, Jeremy Hellickson, Michael Pineda, Francisco Liriano and a presumably healthy Tyson Ross. CC Sabathia's gigantic Yankees contract will have expired, too, for whatever that's worth.

Grade: B+ (we'll push it to an A if Cueto and Tanaka have good enough years to opt out)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agent Pitching:

Starting pitching

Jake Arrieta, the 2015 National League Cy Young Award winner, is the most accomplished name here, though it will be interesting to see how he bounces back from his '16 statistical regression (his ERA+ dropped from 215 to 129) or, for that matter, if the Cubs wind up extending him. Arrieta will be entering his age-32 season when he reaches free-agent eligibility.

Yu Darvish is the other headliner. He'll be entering his age-31 season, and he might have his best seasons ahead of him now that he's two years removed from Tommy John surgery. Darvish pitched just 100 1/3 innings last year.

The wild cards are Johnny Cueto and Masahiro Tanaka, both of whom have opt-out clauses in their deals. Cueto's free-agent value last offseason was difficult to discern after his rocky tenure with the Royals, but he delivered in Year 1 for the Giants with an 18-5 record, a 2.79 ERA and a 147 ERA+ in 219 2/3 innings. Tanaka has a partial tear in his ulnar collateral ligament, but that hasn't stopped him from logging a 3.26 ERA and a 130 ERA+ for the Yankees over the past two seasons.

Wei-Yin Chen also has an opt-out clause with the Marlins, but his first year in Miami was a rough one. Ian Kennedy can opt out of the three years and $43 million remaining on his Royals contract, but that seems iffy.

Chris Tillman will be an attractive option, entering his age-30 season. Over the past four years, he's been a bit better than league average (105 ERA+) and averaged 190 innings in a tough division. Marco Estrada, having backed up his 2015 breakout with a 124 ERA+ in '16, could be positioning himself for a better deal than the two years and $26 million he got from Toronto a year ago. Clay Buchholz's move to Philadelphia will merit monitoring, as he was good for the Red Sox down the stretch last season. Some of the other names of note will include John Lackey, Alex Cobb, Jeremy Hellickson, Michael Pineda, Francisco Liriano and a presumably healthy Tyson Ross. CC Sabathia's gigantic Yankees contract will have expired, too, for whatever that's worth.

Grade: B+ (we'll push it to an A if Cueto and Tanaka have good enough years to opt out)

For me, M's have to go all in on Darvish. He is the best out there and a huge upgrade. Then they need to add one more from the list which for me the first of the group would be Cobb. Tanaka might be worth the risk as well as Cueto. M's are in no position to be picky. They have to go for it high risk and all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, M's have to go all in on Darvish. He is the best out there and a huge upgrade. Then they need to add one more from the list which for me the first of the group would be Cobb. Tanaka might be worth the risk as well as Cueto. M's are in no position to be picky. They have to go for it high risk and all.

I heard on the radio that Darvish is really close with that Japanese star who is suppose to be coming to the US. And supposedly the rules are different now with Asian players coming over.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio that Darvish is really close with that Japanese star who is suppose to be coming to the US. And supposedly the rules are different now with Asian players coming over.

He has been hurt most of the year in Japan. He is the kid that pitches and plays the field very well. Take them both.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been hurt most of the year in Japan. He is the kid that pitches and plays the field very well. Take them both.

Ya, I really have no clue about him. I've just heard he's amazing, and I don't follow Japanese baseball so didn't know he was hurt..but getting a guy who is injury prone is right up Jerry's alley.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Non Mariners Trade:

Yankees get Jaime Garcia from Twins who just got him from Braves. Yanks got him for two minor leaguers with one being the guy we traded them for Pazos.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, don't understand how Jerry with a straight face and say he is building up the farm system or really building for the future, unless he knows something we don't about ownership willing to open up the wallet for starters. I get Jack Z went and nuked the farm system a couple of times after Bavasi but he also got back impact players.

Jerry has jettisoned basically every top prospect outside of Petersen since he took the job. For the future he has set up a rotation of Paxton and bunch of 4's (not sure about Felix) then he has set up a lineup who will be lucky to top 100 hr's.

Well........

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well........

None of those trades have done anything for the farm system except make it worse and outside of Haniger and Segura haven't done anything for the big club. Making trades just to be making trades isn't ideal IMO for a GM.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3