• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he throwing a slow curve last year? I remember him only being a 3 pitch pitcher. They also said he threw at least 1 change-up.

No clue. He had his FB, Slider, and Change. I don't remember any curves.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando is just working on some things. He had some awful spring training appearances last year.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando is just working on some things. He had some awful spring training appearances last year.

I largely find ST results irrelevant. I just want guys to get through healthy and ready for actual games.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I largely find ST results irrelevant. I just want guys to get through healthy and ready for actual games.

The only guys I usually pay any attention to are young guys, and fringe guys.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only guys I usually pay any attention to are young guys, and fringe guys.

It's nice to see the everyday guys having their timing and stuff though. Guys that feel they have stuff to prove are very fun, and so is watching Profar hit homers here and there.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to see the everyday guys having their timing and stuff though. Guys that feel they have stuff to prove are very fun, and so is watching Profar hit homers here and there.
Don't get the big head but tis good to see you a little more active. :nod:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know that this is a great example, but I thought your question was interesting enough that I found this piece on the A's, written in March of 2013:

Anthony Castrovince: 'King of platoons' Bob Melvin back at it in Oakland | MLB.com: News

Excerpt (written about the 2012 A's):

"At year's end, the A's had platoon situations at no fewer than four of the nine positions on the diamond -- catcher, first base, second base and designated hitter. It was how they made the most out of their $55 million payroll. Guys like Jonny Gomes, Seth Smith, Chris Carter and George Kottaras bought into the benefits of the practice, not because they were content with a limited role but because they recognized that it worked. A's batters faced a pitcher of the same handedness 2,151 times last season -- the second-lowest such mark in the AL. Only the Indians, who did not have an all-right-handed-hitting regular in their lineup last year, had fewer plate appearances in this scenario.
"We found out," said right fielder Josh Reddick, "that Bob is the king of platoons.""

Thanks TD's ... was right in front of me and even though I knew OAK ran a bunch of platoons in 2013 didn't dawn on myself to answer that question as simply as you did.

What OAK has done is take marginal guys and put them into platoon situations to get the best marginal performance possible. Keeps everyone working ... and last two seasons has paid benefits getting them to the post season. At least those guys knew what position they would be playing when they were in the lineup.

I don't see TEX use of the platoon is even close to what OAK does. Using Profar to play three positions and DH and calling it a platoon isn't what I consider a platoon. Ditto Choice if Wash is going to use him all over the place in 2014.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get too freaked out about ST either as I am with you all on just keeping everyone healthy and our pitchers getting plenty of work in to get ready for the season. But I would have liked to have seen better results than this. From our pitching and our bats.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It's certainly not fair to just ignore the Rangers' great overall record over the last 4 years when judging Wash as a manager. But at the same time, I don't think it's fair to just ignore the fact that the Rangers have had by far and away the best collection of overall talent they've ever had over the last 4 years either. Too many people take the simplistic view that Rangers best record ever = Wash is the Rangers' best manager ever. That's like saying that Erik Spoelstra is the Heat's best coach ever because they've won more titles under him than anyone else. But is that true? Umm, hell no. They had a guy named Pat Riley coach them before, and I'm pretty sure he's a better coach than Spoelstra.

Ya'all keep talking about it ... we are going to have a relapse. All this careful talk.

I agree with the overall basis of Will's original post ... and want to draw attention to what he wrote above ...

"I don't think it's fair to just ignore the fact that the Rangers have had by far and away the best collection of overall talent they've ever had over the last 4 years either. Too many people take the simplistic view that Rangers best record ever = Wash is the Rangers' best manager ever."

Fact is the TEX FO, system instruction and field management is responsible for fielding and managing a team that won an average of 75 games a year from 2000 - 2009 (excluding 2004) ... and from 2010 - 2013 has won an average of of 91.4 games. Wash became manager in 2006 so his positive and negative contributions apply to both the "75 win average" teams and the "91.4 win average" teams.

But I agree with Will ... managers of all teams can be found to be tagged with responsibility for more losses than wins. The better the roster ... the more vulnerable the manager is for making tactical errors that affect an outcome. Back in 2000 - 2008 ... you'd never notice. Since 2009 ... you notice.

We got to stop talking about this though ...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But I agree with Will ... managers of all teams can be found to be tagged with responsibility for more losses than wins. The better the roster ... the more vulnerable the manager is for making tactical errors that affect an outcome. Back in 2000 - 2008 ... you'd never notice. Since 2009 ... you notice. "

I'm good with agree to disagree on the topic. I don't think the talent is worlds better now. I think the talent has been developed better in Washington's time. Nolan changed the culture with regards to free agency. Bout the only difference in acquired players is we don't have to be the highest bidder to get talent to look at Texas.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"But I agree with Will ... managers of all teams can be found to be tagged with responsibility for more losses than wins. The better the roster ... the more vulnerable the manager is for making tactical errors that affect an outcome. Back in 2000 - 2008 ... you'd never notice. Since 2009 ... you notice. "

I'm good with agree to disagree on the topic. I don't think the talent is worlds better now. I think the talent has been developed better in Washington's time. Nolan changed the culture with regards to free agency. Bout the only difference in acquired players is we don't have to be the highest bidder to get talent to look at Texas.

The difference in the quality of our pitching is night and day in my opinion. I do feel wash has done an excellent job changing the culture and developing young players with regards to defense. Specifically the younger players.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get too freaked out about ST either as I am with you all on just keeping everyone healthy and our pitchers getting plenty of work in to get ready for the season. But I would have liked to have seen better results than this. From our pitching and our bats.

I hate losing to the freaking Angels almost as much as Oakland, even in ST. I agree that there will be days like this even during the regular season but to get beat by this margin is ugly. I have little doubt Ogando will be fine, but getting 1 hit and 5 strikeouts off Blanton is tough to stomach. Oh well it is good I don't have much expectation about ST W-L record, as coaches are basically just evaluating the talent and situational results. Will be happy for some televised games starting tomorrow anyhow. Good to see Profar, Adduci, Choice, KK still hitting today. It would be nice to see JPA pick it up a little with the bat.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate losing to the freaking Angels almost as much as Oakland, even in ST. I agree that there will be days like this even during the regular season but to get beat by this margin is ugly. I have little doubt Ogando will be fine, but getting 1 hit and 5 strikeouts off Blanton is tough to stomach. Oh well it is good I don't have much expectation about ST W-L record, as coaches are basically just evaluating the talent and situational results. Will be happy for some televised games starting tomorrow anyhow. Good to see Profar, Adduci, Choice, KK still hitting today. It would be nice to see JPA pick it up a little with the bat.

It would be nice, but I wouldn't expect it from JPA. He's just not a good hitter. He will hit us the occasional bomb though.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully Blanton's good outing will be enough to keep him in the Angels rotation to start the year. That'd be considered a big win

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Blanton's good outing will be enough to keep him in the Angels rotation to start the year. That'd be considered a big win

Yeah his first 2 spring appearances were pretty bad

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice, but I wouldn't expect it from JPA. He's just not a good hitter. He will hit us the occasional bomb though.

Yeah it will just be hard to watch him bat .150 as the starter for the first few weeks until Soto gets back. Who knows maybe he will get hot the last week of ST and stay that way to start the season, means he might hit .220. You're right though expecting anything more than a few bombs now and then will be asking for more than he really can offer

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it will just be hard to watch him bat .150 as the starter for the first few weeks until Soto gets back. Who knows maybe he will get hot the last week of ST and stay that way to start the season, means he might hit .220. You're right though expecting anything more than a few bombs now and then will be asking for more than he really can offer

Would like to see cheerio get a fair shake with Soto out.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the bottom of that article it says that Hanson was hitting 94 MPH yesterday. That's good news because I believe he needs the velocity to have a chance. I still think it will be hard for me to feel comfortable with him or Saunders taking the mound. Maddux has worked miracles before though.