• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Trade Rumors in regards to Out of Options players:

Rangers: Engel Beltre, Pedro Figueroa, Adam Rosales, Michael Kirkman
In a roster projection from Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News today, he included both Beltre and Michael Choice, noting that the team doesn't want to lose Beltre. Keeping both Beltre and Choice might mean sending catcher Robinson Chirinos to Triple-A despite an impressive spring. Grant sees Rosales as the team's best backup infield option over Brent Lillibridge and Kevin Kouzmanoff, because Rosales can play second base, shortstop, and third base.
Kirkman is part of Grant's projected seven-man bullpen, while Figueroa is not. As a lefty who throws 95 miles per hour, Figueroa was intriguing enough to the Rangers for the club to claim him off waivers from the Rays in late January. It seems the Rangers will be forced to choose one of the two, barring a trade or injury.

This club sure has a lot of hope in Beltre growing into a major league player although he continues to show he isn't. At least today he isn't.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the latest from Keith Law:

4Texas Rangers
AL WEST FPR RANK: 1
The bar graphs reflect the average points given by the voters for each category.

The Overview
The Rangers' streak of three straight playoff appearances was broken last year, but the team that finished first in the first two versions of the Future Power Rankings is still in great shape. GM Jon Daniels opened up a spot for wunderkind Jurickson Profar this winter by trading Ian Kinsler for Prince Fielder, and coupled with the addition of Shin-Soo Choo, the Rangers will have a much more dynamic lineup for years to come. -- Buster Olney

The Dilemma
The Rangers rebuilt their lineup to one of the best in the league, and if and when their pitching staff finally gets healthy, they should return to the postseason. However, they still don't have a long-term solution at catcher. They had interest in Brian McCann before he signed with the Yankees and now have set their sights on Matt Wieters and Miguel Montero, both of whom could become available via trade soon. -- Jim Bowden

Make-or-break year (Law's top 10 Rangers prospects)
Both Joey Gallo and Lewis Brinson, high picks in the 2012 draft, have huge offensive tools but posted enormous strikeout totals in low Class A Hickory last season; they'll move up to pitcher-friendly Myrtle Beach this year, where the challenge will be improving their contact rates while facing tougher competition. -- Keith Law

It will be real interesting to see how they do at Myrtle Beach. Just not sure if Brinson will pan out.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This club sure has a lot of hope in Beltre growing into a major league player although he continues to show he isn't. At least today he isn't.

Keep in mind....he's only 24.

His defense/arm is ML ready. His maturity & bat are the tools holding him back... (though the bat is close)

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

His defense/arm is ML ready. His maturity & bat are the tools holding him back... (though the bat is close)

BUZZZZZZ ... that was the "out of options" alarm sounding. Reason he is out of options is because he spent parts of three seasons in Frisco. He spent enough time in Collin County to run for office.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I know. But I'm wondering if it's maturity or stupidity? I'm not trying to call this guy a moron, b/c I honestly don't know. But I do know he's still doing the same dumbshit stuff (base running, throwing to wrong base, etc) at 24 that he was doing at 20.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I know. But I'm wondering if it's maturity or stupidity? I'm not trying to call this guy a moron, b/c I honestly don't know. But I do know he's still doing the same dumbshit stuff (base running, throwing to wrong base, etc) at 24 that he was doing at 20.

There's a youtube video of him doing stupid stuff while hitting a walkoff.... (think its on the huffington post)
Plus there's that incident of him throwing a trash can at fans...

yeah... he's not the brightest.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From first impressions of both of their games I know I like Choice quite a bit more than Beltre. I just don't see Beltre as more than a 4th OF in the majors.

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BUZZZZZZ ... that was the "out of options" alarm sounding. Reason he is out of options is because he spent parts of three seasons in Frisco. He spent enough time in Collin County to run for office.

True... but you also can't deny what he's been able to accomplish the last 1.5-2 years.. He has gotten significantly better in AA/AAA.

He has just unfortunately ran out of development time in the minors....

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Should get a glimpse tonight...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The removal of the wisdom tooth thing should just give the shoulder a few days rest. The shoulder issue may be more of a problem, of him not being ready for opening day. Even if the removal of the teeth has him out 3-5 days, if he came back by say the 20th, that leaves 9 games to prepare. Seems like enough, though I would have loved to see him get much more work at 2nd this ST.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a youtube video of him doing stupid stuff while hitting a walkoff.... (think its on the huffington post)
Plus there's that incident of him throwing a trash can at fans...

yeah... he's not the brightest.

So there is some evidence. That's funny about the trash can; didn't know this one.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The removal of the wisdom tooth thing should just give the shoulder a few days rest. The shoulder issue may be more of a problem, of him not being ready for opening day. Even if the removal of the teeth has him out 3-5 days, if he came back by say the 20th, that leaves 9 games to prepare. Seems like enough, though I would have loved to see him get much more work at 2nd this ST.

Sometimes blessings come in strange packages and this just might be one of them.

Those teeth may keep him down for 3 days plus, and this may be what the doctor, kind of-sort of, ordered.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3