• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the bottom of that article it says that Hanson was hitting 94 MPH yesterday. That's good news because I believe he needs the velocity to have a chance. I still think it will be hard for me to feel comfortable with him or Saunders taking the mound. Maddux has worked miracles before though.

I have no statistical evidence to back this up, but I see at least one of these guys being a success at the back end of our rotation. If Hanson it's indeed hitting 94, that's a very good sign.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no statistical evidence to back this up, but I see at least one of these guys being a success at the back end of our rotation. If Hanson it's indeed hitting 94, that's a very good sign.

I'm sure you've been around the game a long time. You don't always need stats. Sometimes I just have feelings about some things, whether right or wrong it's fun to try and predict. I know the Rangers hope one of them fills a spot. I've never liked either of them really. Hanson's delivery gets on my nerves, and I just don't think Saunders is very good. I hope your prediction is right. We need all the help we can get.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you've been around the game a long time. You don't always need stats. Sometimes I just have feelings about some things, whether right or wrong it's fun to try and predict. I know the Rangers hope one of them fills a spot. I've never liked either of them really. Hanson's delivery gets on my nerves, and I just don't think Saunders is very good. I hope your prediction is right. We need all the help we can get.

I shuttle clarify my statement. Honestly, all I expect from my #5 pitcher is to eat innings and keep us within striking distance of the game most of the time.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shuttle clarify my statement. Honestly, all I expect from my #5 pitcher is to eat innings and keep us within striking distance of the game most of the time.

I consider that success from the #5 spot as well. 5.76 or whatever his ERA was last year isn't going to cut it. Not even close.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider that success from the #5 spot as well. 5.76 or whatever his ERA was last year isn't going to cut it. Not even close.

Not going from a major pitchers park to Arlington. High fours is fine with me.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I hope that isn't the bourbon talking, but this Elijah Craig Barrel Proof bourbon is kicking my ass.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see cheerio get a fair shake with Soto out.

I agree ride the hot bat and his defense seems to be avg., I would like to see him get some opportunity if he continues to earn it in ST

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am cutting the guy some slack. Two years ago it was physical and last year mental and I really have bought into that. I think when he said at the beginning that he is feeling good physically and mentally for the first time in years I just had this feeling that he may have turned the corner and we could see some good things from him.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good news here, but I hope they don't push them to come back too soon. Wonder what the hell kind of beds they have these guys sleeping on? This back stiffness stuff is getting out of hand, they need to get their sleep number's right or move to a facility with Tempur-Pedic beds.

Wasn't it Berkman last ST? Was somebody ... maybe Yu?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am cutting the guy some slack. Two years ago it was physical and last year mental and I really have bought into that. I think when he said at the beginning that he is feeling good physically and mentally for the first time in years I just had this feeling that he may have turned the corner and we could see some good things from him.

Wastin I think you're talking about Hanson and Justin was talking about Saunders with the 5.76 ERA or whatever it was. Hanson with the Braves before injury has some opportunity at Globe to be decent. I don't have much faith in Saunders though we struggled to figure him out when facing him some times

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it Berkman last ST? Was somebody ... maybe Yu?

Think it was a couple different guys last year and Matt (probably expected some) and now Rios and I think I heard about someone else the other day this year with back stiffness. Matt blamed it on the bed and said he slept on the floor and it was better. Ive had back issues most of my adult life but if you got to sleep on the floor to get "right" something is way wrong.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Think it was a couple different guys last year and Matt (probably expected some) and now Rios and I think I heard about someone else the other day this year with back stiffness. Matt blamed it on the bed and said he slept on the floor and it was better. Ive had back issues most of my adult life but if you got to sleep on the floor to get "right" something is way wrong.

Yea ... you spend the season on the DL.

Back stiffness and sore shoulders, arms by position players. I'm not a PT guy but sounds to me like some guys aren't getting lose and/or are over-stressing for their stage of readiness. Pitchers I might understand ... but position players I don't. But I am not a PT expert like someone here is.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant may not be too highly thought of by some here. But he is echoing exactly what I was saying a few days ago. Not sure if this makes me look like him or him like me. hahaha

2. Colby Lewis has been nothing short of a medical miracle to get this far after hip surgery with no issues, but I still think he either opens the season in the minors (he’s on a minor league contract) or on the DL. Lewis not only has to build up innings, but he’s got to show the Rangers he can go five or six innings and then recover well enough to pitch five or six innings again five days later. I think the only way to accomplish that is with a couple of starts in the minors. That would also more easily allow the club to keep Tommy Hanson and/or Joe Saunders to start the season as insurance policies until Lewis is healthy. If the Rangers commit to Lewis and he can’t recover, they will most assuredly lose either Hanson or Saunders (or both) and then have nowhere to turn. Always better to be more cautious early in the season.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wastin I think you're talking about Hanson and Justin was talking about Saunders with the 5.76 ERA or whatever it was. Hanson with the Braves before injury has some opportunity at Globe to be decent. I don't have much faith in Saunders though we struggled to figure him out when facing him some times

Actually I meant to reply to Romeo's Hanson hitting 94 mph so I was messed up all the way around. I do hope that we see Hanson back in form.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant may not be too highly thought of by some here. But he is echoing exactly what I was saying a few days ago. Not sure if this makes me look like him or him like me. hahaha

2. Colby Lewis has been nothing short of a medical miracle to get this far after hip surgery with no issues, but I still think he either opens the season in the minors (he’s on a minor league contract) or on the DL. Lewis not only has to build up innings, but he’s got to show the Rangers he can go five or six innings and then recover well enough to pitch five or six innings again five days later. I think the only way to accomplish that is with a couple of starts in the minors. That would also more easily allow the club to keep Tommy Hanson and/or Joe Saunders to start the season as insurance policies until Lewis is healthy. If the Rangers commit to Lewis and he can’t recover, they will most assuredly lose either Hanson or Saunders (or both) and then have nowhere to turn. Always better to be more cautious early in the season.

I agree with this as it makes sense. And I hope the winner is Hanson.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As much as I want Colby to break camp with the rangers, I think this makes a lot of sense.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I hope that isn't the bourbon talking, but this Elijah Craig Barrel Proof bourbon is kicking my ass.
Be careful with that red jacket. Hard to clean. lol

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the latest from Keith Law:

4Texas Rangers
AL WEST FPR RANK: 1
The bar graphs reflect the average points given by the voters for each category.

The Overview
The Rangers' streak of three straight playoff appearances was broken last year, but the team that finished first in the first two versions of the Future Power Rankings is still in great shape. GM Jon Daniels opened up a spot for wunderkind Jurickson Profar this winter by trading Ian Kinsler for Prince Fielder, and coupled with the addition of Shin-Soo Choo, the Rangers will have a much more dynamic lineup for years to come. -- Buster Olney

The Dilemma
The Rangers rebuilt their lineup to one of the best in the league, and if and when their pitching staff finally gets healthy, they should return to the postseason. However, they still don't have a long-term solution at catcher. They had interest in Brian McCann before he signed with the Yankees and now have set their sights on Matt Wieters and Miguel Montero, both of whom could become available via trade soon. -- Jim Bowden

Make-or-break year (Law's top 10 Rangers prospects)
Both Joey Gallo and Lewis Brinson, high picks in the 2012 draft, have huge offensive tools but posted enormous strikeout totals in low Class A Hickory last season; they'll move up to pitcher-friendly Myrtle Beach this year, where the challenge will be improving their contact rates while facing tougher competition. -- Keith Law

Last edited by a moderator:

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB Trade Rumors in regards to Out of Options players:

Rangers: Engel Beltre, Pedro Figueroa, Adam Rosales, Michael Kirkman
In a roster projection from Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News today, he included both Beltre and Michael Choice, noting that the team doesn't want to lose Beltre. Keeping both Beltre and Choice might mean sending catcher Robinson Chirinos to Triple-A despite an impressive spring. Grant sees Rosales as the team's best backup infield option over Brent Lillibridge and Kevin Kouzmanoff, because Rosales can play second base, shortstop, and third base.
Kirkman is part of Grant's projected seven-man bullpen, while Figueroa is not. As a lefty who throws 95 miles per hour, Figueroa was intriguing enough to the Rangers for the club to claim him off waivers from the Rays in late January. It seems the Rangers will be forced to choose one of the two, barring a trade or injury.