• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you think Wash "did something" that others couldn't speaks volumes. That Wash was dealt a far better hand and was given a better team than any other manager in team history somehow escapes you. It's that type of simple-minded analysis which puts incompetent people in charge in the first place.[/QUOTE

Few people think of Jon Daniels as incompetent.

I never said he was. I said taking a very narrow and simplistic view of a manager's abilities is often how incompetent people get put in charge. What part of that statement led you to believe I was referring to Jon Daniels? I was referring to how incompetent managers (both in baseball and in other occupations) can get hired/retained if the one doing the hiring takes too simplistic of a view of what makes a good manager. I highly doubt Jon Daniels takes your simple methodology of W-L as the best way to judge a manager

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What article are you referring to? I cant find one that is of the caliber that you speak...

Sorry.....I just now saw your question. It was an Insider Report yesterday from Jim Bowden.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do any research on this for ya, but hope you can find it. He sure was high on the A's chances for 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. It's certainly not fair to just ignore the Rangers' great overall record over the last 4 years when judging Wash as a manager. But at the same time, I don't think it's fair to just ignore the fact that the Rangers have had by far and away the best collection of overall talent they've ever had over the last 4 years either. Too many people take the simplistic view that Rangers best record ever = Wash is the Rangers' best manager ever. That's like saying that Erik Spoelstra is the Heat's best coach ever because they've won more titles under him than anyone else. But is that true? Umm, hell no. They had a guy named Pat Riley coach them before, and I'm pretty sure he's a better coach than Spoelstra.

Washington was the first manager in major league history (1876-2012) to increase his team's win total in 4 straight years after his initial season with a club. That includes 2007, 2008, 2009 (non playoff years) and part of 2010 when the team was owned by Tom Hicks and MLB. It also bears mentioning that Wash should be given credit for his part in holding the team together during a gut wrenching courtroom bidding process for team ownership in 2010,..their first year ever to win a playoff series.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington was the first manager in major league history (1876-2012) to increase his team's win total in 4 straight years after his initial season with a club. That includes 2007, 2008, 2009 (non playoff years) and part of 2010 when the team was owned by Tom Hicks and MLB. It also bears mentioning that Wash should be given credit for his part in holding the team together during a gut wrenching courtroom bidding process for team ownership in 2010,..their first year ever to win a playoff series.

We get it. You love Ron Washington. Good for you.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry.....I just now saw your question. It was an Insider Report yesterday from Jim Bowden.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to do any research on this for ya, but hope you can find it. He sure was high on the A's chances for 2014.

So this one then... ok. :suds:

Oakland Athletics
• The A's are not going to let Super Two status stand in the way of promoting shortstop Addison Russell. Whenever he's ready, they'll do it. Though it won’t be Opening Day, don't be surprised if he's promoted shortly after if he tears up Double-A. He is really standing out in spring training and as manager Bob Melvin told me, instead of looking like a 20-year-old kid, he got the poise of a 25-year-old veteran.

• Billy Beane made a lot of lopsided trades in his favor this offseason, but the one that scouts are talking about the most is the one that sent Jerry Blevins to the Washington Nationals for outfielder Billy Burns. Burns is doing so well that two GMs compared him to Brett Gardner without the pop. Scouts say Billy Hamilton might be the only player faster than Burns, who has incredible range in center field. His arm is also playable there, too. The best part about Burns is he understands his role. He’ll slap the ball or bunt, anything to put the ball in play. He walks more than he strikes out, and he's a basestealer, not just a speedster. He can outrun left-handers and gets good reads and jumps and really studies pitchers. Coco Crisp has taken him under his wing this spring and teaching the nuances of baserunning.

• One of the big stories coming out of A's camp is that both oufielders Josh Reddick and Yoenis Cespedes are healthy for the first time in two years. Both battled injuries last year but played through them, which is why their numbers were down. The way they are swinging tells me they are poised for big years.

• Melvin is trying to figure out where to put his only lefty -- Scott Kazmir -- in a rotation that will have Jarrod Parker, Sonny Gray, A.J. Griffin and Dan Straily. Tommy Milone will be considered their sixth starter and the backup in case of injury.

• Expect the A's to readily use their challenges, as their analytics department is convinced on average only one replay will be needed in the first six innings of any game.

• Josh Donaldson is quietly developing into one of the best all-around third basemen. His intensity, focus and work ethic should allow him to repeat last season’s career numbers.

-----------------------------------

Texas Rangers
• Ian Kinsler has still not returned any of GM Jon Daniels’ phone calls because he heard about the trade via the media, not directly from Daniels. However, don't blame Daniels; he was on a plane and the deal leaked before he could call Kinsler. I've been in that position, and in this day and age of social media this isn’t the last time something like this will happen, so players must develop some tougher skin.

• Shin-Soo Choo is relieved to get out of center field. He never wanted to play it in the first place but did it for the team in Cincinnati. He says he's really much more comfortable in the corners, and he'll be the everyday left fielder.

• Seattle Seahawks quarterback and Rangers farmhand Russell Wilson impressed everyone when he was in camp, so much so that Daniels thinks if he decided to play baseball Wilson would make it at least as a utility infielder. (Though the signed autographed football Daniels got might have something to do with that ... just kidding.) Wilson did impress everyone he touched in their camp. Martin Perez was one of the few who didn't make it to dinner with Wilson because he was too busy taking minor league pitchers to dinner. That's a sign of maturity for one of the game’s best left-handed starting pitchers.

• The Rangers rotation will consist of Yu Darvish, Perez, Alexi Ogando, Joe Saunders and one of Tanner Scheppers, Robby Ross or Colby Lewis as they wait for Derek Holland and Matt Harrison to get healthy.

• Michael Choice is expected to make the team and will see playing time in all three outfield spots as well as DH. He’ll be used like Jurickson Profar was last year with the idea that he will eventually replace Alex Rios when Rios’ contract is up.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he was. I said taking a very narrow and simplistic view of a manager's abilities is often how incompetent people get put in charge. What part of that statement led you to believe I was referring to Jon Daniels? I was referring to how incompetent managers (both in baseball and in other occupations) can get hired/retained if the one doing the hiring takes too simplistic of a view of what makes a good manager. I highly doubt Jon Daniels takes your simple methodology of W-L as the best way to judge a manager

I prefer to judge managers and GM's on their W-L record because that's generally, not always, but generally, the criteria that they have been judged by since the first baseball was put in play. When guys are fired for reasons other than the bottom line then old timers like your friend in the dugout get put out to pasture and the message tends to become biased.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teheran for 32M over the next 6 years is a steal (potentially 7/44), now if he could only get that GB% higher

Agree on that. You see where their heads at when they decided not to pay the big bucks in a bidding war on resigning McCann and instead renegotiating/extending with players under contract. Have to keep an eye on this team down the road.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oakland Athletics
• The A's are not going to let Super Two status stand in the way of promoting shortstop Addison Russell. Whenever he's ready, they'll do it. Though it won’t be Opening Day, don't be surprised if he's promoted shortly after if he tears up Double-A. He is really standing out in spring training and as manager Bob Melvin told me, instead of looking like a 20-year-old kid, he got the poise of a 25-year-old veteran.

• Billy Beane made a lot of lopsided trades in his favor this offseason, but the one that scouts are talking about the most is the one that sent Jerry Blevins to the Washington Nationals for outfielder Billy Burns. Burns is doing so well that two GMs compared him to Brett Gardner without the pop. Scouts say Billy Hamilton might be the only player faster than Burns, who has incredible range in center field. His arm is also playable there, too. The best part about Burns is he understands his role. He’ll slap the ball or bunt, anything to put the ball in play. He walks more than he strikes out, and he's a basestealer, not just a speedster. He can outrun left-handers and gets good reads and jumps and really studies pitchers. Coco Crisp has taken him under his wing this spring and teaching the nuances of baserunning.

• One of the big stories coming out of A's camp is that both oufielders Josh Reddick and Yoenis Cespedes are healthy for the first time in two years. Both battled injuries last year but played through them, which is why their numbers were down. The way they are swinging tells me they are poised for big years.

• Melvin is trying to figure out where to put his only lefty -- Scott Kazmir -- in a rotation that will have Jarrod Parker, Sonny Gray, A.J. Griffin and Dan Straily. Tommy Milone will be considered their sixth starter and the backup in case of injury.

• Expect the A's to readily use their challenges, as their analytics department is convinced on average only one replay will be needed in the first six innings of any game.

• Josh Donaldson is quietly developing into one of the best all-around third basemen. His intensity, focus and work ethic should allow him to repeat last season’s career numbers.

Texas Rangers
• Ian Kinsler has still not returned any of GM Jon Daniels’ phone calls because he heard about the trade via the media, not directly from Daniels. However, don't blame Daniels; he was on a plane and the deal leaked before he could call Kinsler. I've been in that position, and in this day and age of social media this isn’t the last time something like this will happen, so players must develop some tougher skin.

• Shin-Soo Choo is relieved to get out of center field. He never wanted to play it in the first place but did it for the team in Cincinnati. He says he's really much more comfortable in the corners, and he'll be the everyday left fielder.

• Seattle Seahawks quarterback and Rangers farmhand Russell Wilson impressed everyone when he was in camp, so much so that Daniels thinks if he decided to play baseball Wilson would make it at least as a utility infielder. (Though the signed autographed football Daniels got might have something to do with that ... just kidding.) Wilson did impress everyone he touched in their camp. Martin Perez was one of the few who didn't make it to dinner with Wilson because he was too busy taking minor league pitchers to dinner. That's a sign of maturity for one of the game’s best left-handed starting pitchers.

• The Rangers rotation will consist of Yu Darvish, Perez, Alexi Ogando, Joe Saunders and one of Tanner Scheppers, Robby Ross or Colby Lewis as they wait for Derek Holland and Matt Harrison to get healthy.

• Michael Choice is expected to make the team and will see playing time in all three outfield spots as well as DH. He’ll be used like Jurickson Profar was last year with the idea that he will eventually replace Alex Rios when Rios’ contract is up.

Makes you wonder if Gentry may not get much playing time unless they rotate OFs and DH.

Don't see that starting rotation for the Rangers just yet.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oakland Athletics

Texas Rangers

This is the one. Man, is he ever high on the A's or what? I get it, but it didn't make me feel any better.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes you wonder if Gentry may not get much playing time unless they rotate OFs and DH.

Don't see that starting rotation for the Rangers just yet.

Ya know, I didn't even think about Gentry when reading all their "good news." I thought they got Gentry to be insurance for injuries, give rest to the starters when needed and pinch run/hit when necessary.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did want to ask if anyone caught what Bowden said about Martin Perez?

Martin Perez was one of the few who didn't make it to dinner with Wilson because he was too busy taking minor league pitchers to dinner. [B]That's a sign of maturity for one of the game’s best left-handed starting pitchers.[/B]

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Occasionally Evan Grant says something humorous...

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando seems to be throwing a lot of breaking balls. Cowgill is going to be a thorn in our side for years to come.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ogando having a dumpster fire of a second inning. 5-0 after leaving the ball up and not very fast.