• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catching is a gimme, and I'll go with ya on Lillibridge as the Util. However, I'm gonna go with KK as the RH bat, and Aducci as the 4th OF.

It's gonna get interesting now for sure guys. But the one guy I'm ignoring is Chirinos, and he's playing lights out right now.

I can't take Aducci seriously, but that's bc I childishly call him badussy

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This in from Jim Bowden; make of it what you will.

• Ian Kinsler has still not returned any of GM Jon Daniels’ phone calls because he heard about the trade via the media, not directly from Daniels. However, don't blame Daniels; he was on a plane and the deal leaked before he could call Kinsler. I've been in that position, and in this day and age of social media this isn’t the last time something like this will happen, so players must develop some tougher skin.

Michael Choice is expected to make the team and will see playing time in all three outfield spots as well as DH. He’ll be used like Jurickson Profar was last year with the idea that he will eventually replace Alex Rios when Rios’ contract is up.

If they get a reasonable rotation going to get Choice in there pretty frequently, it MIGHT make sense, but going off of Wash's history, don't count on it

But his play in ST is making it very difficult to start him in AAA

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• Ian Kinsler has still not returned any of GM Jon Daniels’ phone calls because he heard about the trade via the media, not directly from Daniels. However, don't blame Daniels; he was on a plane and the deal leaked before he could call Kinsler. I've been in that position, and in this day and age of social media this isn’t the last time something like this will happen, so players must develop some tougher skin.

Michael Choice is expected to make the team and will see playing time in all three outfield spots as well as DH. He’ll be used like Jurickson Profar was last year with the idea that he will eventually replace Alex Rios when Rios’ contract is up.

All three OF spots? Wow. So does that mean Beltre is out of the 4th OF fold?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd feel more comfortable with Scheppers as the closer than I would Feliz. I agree about Tanner. They should stop messing around with him.

I don't think too much into it, maybe the have an idea that RPs should be able to pitch more than 1 inning especially if they are on a roll

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said a week or so ago that it was going to be hard to keep Choice off the ML roster, and he could spell Martin in CF against LF pitchers, and had quite a few people disagree with me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys are Insider subs on ESPN, then go to his blog and check it out.

He's got some absolutely horrid views - for us Ranger fans - on what's happening in Oakland.

If you want (gulp) I'll post some of it? But man, if he's right, the shit train is going to drive and deposit in Arlington Texas this season.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said a week or so ago that it was going to be hard to keep Choice off the ML roster, and he could spell Martin in CF against LF pitchers, and had quite a few people disagree with me.

I still disagree that its the right move, but it is going to be hard to keep him off the roster, I think you risk stunting his development if he doesn't get regular ABs which could happen if Wash gets stuck in his ways again

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get a reasonable rotation going to get Choice in there pretty frequently, it MIGHT make sense, but going off of Wash's history, don't count on it

But his play in ST is making it very difficult to start him in AAA

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, Wash is listening - as in "you will do this" from the FO - to his new bench coach and he's gonna relinquish some of that "gut" managing style.

Have I gone pie-in-the-sky again?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK....I'll stand up and say I was one of them.

As of right now, Martin is making me nervous and Choice is player like a guy who wants a position. Gotta love it; well, at least half of it.

I was hoping, still am actually, that Martin will come around and be the everyday CF. But with Choice playing the way he has, it should make Martin take note, and also serve notice to Rios/MM that a player who plays his way on, is ON and perhaps you are the man OUT.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still disagree that its the right move, but it is going to be hard to keep him off the roster, I think you risk stunting his development if he doesn't get regular ABs which could happen if Wash gets stuck in his ways again

I was and still am on the fence about it. I agree it could stunt his development. I hated it with Profar last year, but I also agree with Broseidon (I think) who wants the best players on the ML roster. Adduci is outplaying them all, but I don't see them starting the year with him. Beltre certainly doesn't deserve it right now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was and still am on the fence about it. I agree it could stunt his development. I hated it with Profar last year, but I also agree with Broseidon (I think) who wants the best players on the ML roster. Adduci is outplaying them all, but I don't see them starting the year with him. Beltre certainly doesn't deserve it right now.

Best players should be fairly restricted to the starting positions, players that make the most sense in the bench spots, while there should be a fair amount of overlap in that, the best players shouldn't always be sitting on the bench, especially ones like Profar and Choice that needed and need regular ABs to develop

Adduci/Beltre might not be the best players compared to Choice but they certainly might make a heck of a lot more sense given other factors

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Each young player is different. Now there's some revolutionary news right?

What I mean is, Profar is much younger than Choice, had/has a much higher rating-therefore-much higher expectations, and don't discount this......he's from a Dutch colony. So, his adjustment could be very different from a Dallas kid, who's primary position is in the OF as opposed to being an INF.

Plus, I think the organization learned a thing or two from last year and hopes not to duplicate.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The games are going to be televised starting Thursday. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm tired of listening to the other teams radio broadcast.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The games are going to be televised starting Thursday. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm tired of listening to the other teams radio broadcast.
Something we can all agree on and I for one am ready.

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is off topic, but any of you Rangerettes see Frank Howard play at Arlington Stadium? The mgr back then was a no name................

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can understand your point with Profar last year but it was his first year and they had him playing multiple IF positions plus LF a couple of times. I think it is easier for a guy to platoon in the OF at a younger age than a young IF being asked to be a utility player.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If choice is in the lineup at least 4 days a week, that's the only way I see this working.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand your point with Profar last year but it was his first year and they had him playing multiple IF positions plus LF a couple of times. I think it is easier for a guy to platoon in the OF at a younger age than a young IF being asked to be a utility player.

I wasn't referring to the positions he played, just the amount of ABs and time on the bench he had to endure.