• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only delusional one here is you. Sorry, but those are the facts if you honestly believe that nobody here could do a better job of in-game strategical management than Ron Washington. It's not an issue of ego or pomposity. It's just that to anyone who has ever played baseball at a high school level or higher, Ron Washington's gaffes are blatantly obvious. This isn't post game armchair quarterback stuff either. This is stuff people call him out on as he's doing it and, sure enough, it fails. Some of the mistakes he makes don't even take a hardcore baseball fan to spot either. It's the equivalent of choosing Shaq to shoot technical free throws or benching Tom Brady in favor of some undrafted spare. Wash's tactical mistakes are just that bad. This isn't some egotistical opinion held just on this board either. Analysts from far and wide, including former players, have called Wash out as being quite poor at in-game management (particularly his handling of the pitching staff). Heck, Wash himself has even admitted before that he's still learning.

I guarantee you that Jon Daniels recognizes this too. But he keeps Wash around because he feels that what Wash gets out of his players outweighs his tactical mistakes. Players are, after all, the ones who primarily determine the outcome and can often overcome poor decisions by their manager.

And lastly, before you retort with some childish nonsense about how I should go interview with JD, please try to recognize two simple yet important facts:

1) Only former players or lifelong coaches get hired as managers, and

2) Just because someone holds a managerial position (regardless of occupation) it doesn't mean he is the best qualified for the job or that someone better could easily unseat him.

Seriously, have you never worked somewhere with an incompetent boss or manager? If not, you are definitely the exception to the rule. Just because you have a boss who is bad at his job doesn't mean you can just go to his boss and say "hey, I'm better, fire him and hire me". It doesn't work that way.

If you went to upper management complaining about the job your incompetent manager was doing after your manager had done what the previous 18 had failed to do over the past 38 years you'd probably be looking for another job at the end of the day.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's really going to come down to who is a better hitter between Rosales and Brent. They are both good defenders. Neither have hit well in their career, but I would say Brent has the edge right now.

Don't be kicking Kouzmanoff to the curb just yet.

But to me, as it stands today, Rosales is 3rd of these 3 right now.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's really going to come down to who is a better hitter between Rosales and Brent. They are both good defenders. Neither have hit well in their career, but I would say Brent has the edge right now.

If their fielding ability is equal, I agree. Otherwise, I'd rather have the better defensive player as my utility infielder just as a general rule.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus Kouz has some pop in his bat. But BL has played many positions which could come in handy.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you went to upper management complaining about the job your incompetent manager was doing after your manager had done what the previous 18 had failed to do over the past 38 years you'd probably be looking for another job at the end of the day.

Touche' old boy......well played.

Gotta admit, you two guys have made some really compelling arguments. Well stated, rational-reasonable.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their fielding ability is equal, I agree. Otherwise, I'd rather have the better defensive player as my utility infielder just as a general rule.

:agree:......when in doubt, your utility INF has to have glove first.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I don't consider Kouz as a utility inf, I think he's a 1B/3B guy. But, he's been surprising this spring

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KK doesn't play MIF. I'm pretty sure it will be Rosales or Brent, and then KK might also make the team.

edit: Didn't see the above post

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't consider Kouz as a utility inf, I think he's a 1B/3B guy. But, he's been surprising this spring

Yeah, I stand corrected on this one.

So....it's cuttin time.....who's our 4 man bench right now?

Based on "proven" ability to handle the demands of backup INF, Rosales seems to lead the way. But Lillibridge is a 2nd baseman/SS so surely he can handle 3rd base on occasion.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that you think Wash "did something" that others couldn't speaks volumes. That Wash was dealt a far better hand and was given a better team than any other manager in team history somehow escapes you. It's that type of simple-minded analysis which puts incompetent people in charge in the first place.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After today, you sure you want to get it started again? I don't.:omg:

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you think Wash "did something" that others couldn't speaks volumes. That Wash was dealt a far better hand and was given a better team than any other manager in team history somehow escapes you. It's that type of simple-minded analysis which puts incompetent people in charge in the first place.

Oates managed some really talented teams too

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KK doesn't play MIF. I'm pretty sure it will be Rosales or Brent, and then KK might also make the team.

edit: Didn't see the above post

Certainly no worries about "didn't see the above post."

But read on and tell me who our bench is - as of right now - if you had to make the decision please.

It's getting closer than some think as to making these decisions for real ya know?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After today, you sure you want to get it started again? I don't.:omg:

:noidea:.....it takes a life all of it's own sometimes. Ya know?

And it all started with, "why not?"

Last edited by a moderator:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When did Johnny Oates ever have the starting rotation or complete bullpen that Wash had? I'm pretty sure Johnny Oates never had a Cliff Lee or even a CJ Wilson or Colby Lewis for that matter. John Burkett, Ken Hill, and Rick Helling don't even compare. Plus, Johnny Oates had the pleasure of facing off against the late-90's dynasty Yankees in the playoffs.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I stand corrected on this one.

So....it's cuttin time.....who's our 4 man bench right now?

Based on "proven" ability to handle the demands of backup INF, Rosales seems to lead the way. But Lillibridge is a 2nd baseman/SS so surely he can handle 3rd base on occasion.

I think Lillibridge could definitely play 3B.

My bench prediction would be

C- JPA
4th OF- E. Beltre
Util - Lillibridge
RH bat - Choice

I think the club would love for Kouz to be the RH half of our DH platoon though.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They has zero pitching. It was almost all offense. And the Yankees were very dominant back then.

Sorry Will - missed the above post

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lillibridge could definitely play 3B.

My bench prediction would be

C- JPA
4th OF- E. Beltre
Util - Lillibridge
RH bat - Choice

I think the club would love for Kouz to be the RH half of our DH platoon though.

Those all sound logical. Some tough decisions coming up with our bench and 4-5 starters and I hate to say the word but closer.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about? I am calm, and didn't take anything personal. I don't know why you assumed otherwise. Maybe you need evaluate your attitude because you seem to get on a lot of peoples nerves.

You quoted my "one day does not an experiment make" with the response, "Who said anything about one day" :L

That's pretty much the definition of taking my comment personal :bawling:

My attitude is fine, most the people who's nerves I get on are the ones who can't take different opinions and viewpoints, thanks for playing :lame:

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did Johnny Oates ever have the starting rotation or complete bullpen that Wash had? I'm pretty sure Johnny Oates never had a Cliff Lee or even a CJ Wilson or Colby Lewis for that matter. John Burkett, Ken Hill, and Rick Helling don't even compare. Plus, Johnny Oates had the pleasure of facing off against the late-90's dynasty Yankees in the playoffs.

I was just saying its not like this franchise has been devoid of talent prior to 2007. All I was getting at.

And, nothing wrong with John Burkett. Dude was a fine pitcher and one hell of a bowler.