• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm down with those percentages. I actually went into 2011 thinking 80% chance. This year it's about 45% Giants, 45% Dbacks, 10% dark horse.

Phils do have Pence, Dom Brown, Victorino etc. Not all old guys.

Who's your pick for 'whoa how'd THEY get in there?' (Dbacks 2011, Reds 2010, etc)

I didn't post it, but I was not shocked by the Snakes. Their HUGE hole in '10 was their pen, and the completely rebuilt that in the 10/11 off season. I never quite understood all the 'hate' for the team going in.

I think the 'prime-est' team for '12 is the Nats, but that is not exactly a risky pick. I think the main thing against them is their division, with the Fish, Bravos and Philth there, they could finish anywhere from 1st to last, though I think the Mutts will probably be in the cellar.

The Doggies have some potential for a bounce-back as well. They have a solid pitching staff and one of the best players in the game. They also have Ethier, who is solid, Uribe, who SHOULD show SOME improvement, and JHJ just joined the team this off season. They, also, are in a tough division, though, so it is a tough road for them. The Pads are a lost cause.

In the Central, the 'Stros will be too distracted to compete, and they suck anyway. The Bucs could surprise some people, but I just don't see it. They do not know HOW to win, even though they may actually have the talent. I think it is the Crew and Legs battling for the top.

In summary, I think the Nats are the top dark horse, followed by the Dogs and Pirates, in that order.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder (or other big moves) could change this, though...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't post it, but I was not shocked by the Snakes. Their HUGE hole in '10 was their pen, and the completely rebuilt that in the 10/11 off season. I never quite understood all the 'hate' for the team going in.

I think the 'prime-est' team for '12 is the Nats, but that is not exactly a risky pick. I think the main thing against them is their division, with the Fish, Bravos and Philth there, they could finish anywhere from 1st to last, though I think the Mutts will probably be in the cellar.

The Doggies have some potential for a bounce-back as well. They have a solid pitching staff and one of the best players in the game. They also have Ethier, who is solid, Uribe, who SHOULD show SOME improvement, and JHJ just joined the team this off season. They, also, are in a tough division, though, so it is a tough road for them. The Pads are a lost cause.

In the Central, the 'Stros will be too distracted to compete, and they suck anyway. The Bucs could surprise some people, but I just don't see it. They do not know HOW to win, even though they may actually have the talent. I think it is the Crew and Legs battling for the top.

In summary, I think the Nats are the top dark horse, followed by the Dogs and Pirates, in that order.

Good analysis, I agree with most of it.

I too think the Dodgers or Nats will contend as the 'surprising' teams for the reasons you stated. Agreed the NL East is stacked. The Phillies won a million games last year, I don't think a couple of guys getting older is enough to bring them to earth with that pitching. The pitchers aren't old.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder (or other big moves) could change this, though...

Agreed. If he's a Cub, they don't have the pitching to compete. If he's a Cardinal, they immediately become the NL faves. Who else might get him? I can't think of any other likely spots even in the AL. Minnesota? Not enough $. Seattle? Too pitchery of a park. Tampa, no $ again. Toronto maybe?

Basically, Cubs or Cards...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm down with those percentages. I actually went into 2011 thinking 80% chance. This year it's about 45% Giants, 45% Dbacks, 10% dark horse.

Who's your pick for 'whoa how'd THEY get in there?' (Dbacks 2011, Reds 2010, etc)

Royals, Nats.

In the AL Central, the only big challenge should be the Tigers, but if the Royals get an infusion of some of that minor league talent in the rotation, they could challenge them.

The Nats need another starter to step up besides Strasburg and Zimmerman, but they can at least make things interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This discussion is the primary reason why the 2012 season could be really rough on us. I do believe that it will be between us and the DBacks for the NL West title ....... and deep down in I also believe that the WC will come from the NL East. That division is so stacked I just can't see the WC coming from anywhere else.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This discussion is the primary reason why the 2012 season could be really rough on us. I do believe that it will be between us and the DBacks for the NL West title ....... and deep down in I also believe that the WC will come from the NL East. That division is so stacked I just can't see the WC coming from anywhere else.

Conversely, the unbalanced schedule means the stacked East has to beat up on each other all year, maybe the Giants and Dbacks get fat beating up on SD and potentially Col or LA.

Agreed 2012 will be no picnic, yet another reason 2011 was such a shame. The division wasn't very strong, we'd have won it easily if we had normal injuries not Battle of Shiloh stuff.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That seems just about right.

.....until we sneakily sign CarBel. I've got a FEVER....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Nats are going to end up with Tubagoo, so they'll be a factor. That division is outrageous. Might be BOTH WCs come from there. Also, I wouldn't count out the World Champs in the Central. They've got Wains coming back.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. If he's a Cub, they don't have the pitching to compete. If he's a Cardinal, they immediately become the NL faves. Who else might get him? I can't think of any other likely spots even in the AL. Minnesota? Not enough $. Seattle? Too pitchery of a park. Tampa, no $ again. Toronto maybe?

Basically, Cubs or Cards...

Nats brother. He's gonna be a Nat.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two WCs starting in 2012, no?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nats brother. He's gonna be a Nat.

Yeah, didn't think of them. Deep pockets and holes to fill. It'll be one of those 3.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conversely, the unbalanced schedule means the stacked East has to beat up on each other all year, maybe the Giants and Dbacks get fat beating up on SD and potentially Col or LA.

Agreed 2012 will be no picnic, yet another reason 2011 was such a shame. The division wasn't very strong, we'd have won it easily if we had normal injuries not Battle of Shiloh stuff.

This.

I was going to post almost the exact same thing. Thanks for saving my fingers from having to post it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and Billy Weed signs a one year/one mill deal to return as the mop up guy in the best bullpen in baseball.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3