• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners' Cap Situation

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
49ers Mailbag: A look at team's future cap

Nothing groundbreaking, but an interesting read. Apparently we already have more money tied up in 2013 contracts than we do capspace. Easy to trim that, but probably not going to be a big FA year.

A few thoughts on guys who will be on the hot seat next offseason (as in, leading up to the 2013 season):

Jonathan Goodwin - Scheduled to make something around $5 million. He's not worth that today IMO. Hopefully Kilgore (or Slowey) makes strides at center and can replace him.

Parys Haralson - His contract in 2013 isn't terrible at less than $3 million, but that's a lot to pay a backup who doesn't offer much on STs.

Michael Crabtree - I don't think it's likely, but he's scheduled to make over $6 million in 2013. His performance will have to improve to justify that kind of money, especially if Williams and Jenkins play well this year.

David Akers - Not terribly likely, but a possibility. He's due $3.6 million in 2013. Not entirely sure how that stacks up agaist other kickers, but Akers wasn't as accurate as you'd think given his huge number of FGs and points. He was completely clutch in the 4th quarter, though, going a perfect 8/8, and was 16/17 in the second half in general. If only he could bump up his 61% first quarter numbers....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing groundbreaking, but an interesting read. Apparently we already have more money tied up in 2013 contracts than we do capspace. Easy to trim that, but probably not going to be a big FA year.

A few thoughts on guys who will be on the hot seat next offseason (as in, leading up to the 2013 season):

Jonathan Goodwin - Scheduled to make something around $5 million. He's not worth that today IMO. Hopefully Kilgore (or Slowey) makes strides at center and can replace him.

Parys Haralson - His contract in 2013 isn't terrible at less than $3 million, but that's a lot to pay a backup who doesn't offer much on STs.

Michael Crabtree - I don't think it's likely, but he's scheduled to make over $6 million in 2013. His performance will have to improve to justify that kind of money, especially if Williams and Jenkins play well this year.

David Akers - Not terribly likely, but a possibility. He's due $3.6 million in 2013. Not entirely sure how that stacks up agaist other kickers, but Akers wasn't as accurate as you'd think given his huge number of FGs and points. He was completely clutch in the 4th quarter, though, going a perfect 8/8, and was 16/17 in the second half in general. If only he could bump up his 61% first quarter numbers....

Alex is always in the hot seat, in my opinion. Depending on how he does this year and how Kaep progresses, that contract he signed is easily cuttable, but if not cut, costs the cap a bit. I don't think we're in terrible shape cap wise that we'd cut Alex if he did moderately well, but if he regresses that would be an attractive chunk of change, depending on why we failed on offense (under the situation that Alex is cut, I assume something went wrong).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How great is it that we got PW's 17 million this year when we are under the cap without too many glaring holes? The 3.6 next year of course is now low enough we have some space for next year, or at least we don't need to cut too many if this year's roster proves to be what we need going forward (generally speaking, of course). Our FO knows what they're doing (PW's structure was set pre-Baalke, but it's only getting better for the whole team, IMO).

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Goodwin - agree

Haralson - agree his number is high is you consider him a pure back-up, but not so sure he's on the hot seat? we don't have enough OLB's and unfortunately, Darious Fleming got hurt. so next season we will again have limited options? if we go out and sign a FA, we'll likely pay as much as Haralson?

Crabtree - agree, but another option (if he doesn't play up to $6M worth) is to re-do his contract? cause he might play up to $2M, or $3M?

Akers - agree with 'possibility', we have to keep an eye out for a younger kicker anyway.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex is always in the hot seat, in my opinion. Depending on how he does this year and how Kaep progresses, that contract he signed is easily cuttable, but if not cut, costs the cap a bit. I don't think we're in terrible shape cap wise that we'd cut Alex if he did moderately well, but if he regresses that would be an attractive chunk of change, depending on why we failed on offense (under the situation that Alex is cut, I assume something went wrong).

Yeah, that's fair enough. I wouldn't expect it, but he could be a cap casualty. In theory, same could be said for Anthony Davis, but I expect him to improve fairly dramatically with a full offseason. My only major concern there is that Boone is new to the position, and Davis has needed someone to help him in the past. The biggest problem with Chilo last year was that he and Davis next to each other was a disaster. It was as if they couldn't understand the concept of a stunt. Snyder was individually bad, but worth it because Davis was so much better (relatively speaking) with him in there.

Having said that, I do think Davis was markedy better as they year progressed.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodwin - agree

Haralson - agree his number is high is you consider him a pure back-up, but not so sure he's on the hot seat? we don't have enough OLB's and unfortunately, Darious Fleming got hurt. so next season we will again have limited options? if we go out and sign a FA, we'll likely pay as much as Haralson?

Crabtree - agree, but another option (if he doesn't play up to $6M worth) is to re-do his contract? cause he might play up to $2M, or $3M?

Akers - agree with 'possibility', we have to keep an eye out for a younger kicker anyway.

Crabtree doesn't strike me as the kind of player who will restructure his contract. I think he just accepted that he'd have to play his first few years with the 49ers before he got a chance to play for the Cowboys or Texans.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabtree doesn't strike me as the kind of player who will restructure his contract. I think he just accepted that he'd have to play his first few years with the 49ers before he got a chance to play for the Cowboys or Texans.

this makes more sense, cause why would Crabtree reduce his contract? he's young enough where another team would talk to him. so IF he gets cut, he'll go elsewhere.

so restructuring is still an option, just not very likely.