• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Raiders

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw some tings I liked out there early though the results are slightly skewed since the Raiders didn't play their ones on offense and defense and the 49ers did, but I liked what I saw from Mostert and Sermon, Garoppolo looked sharp with his receivers and it was nice to see Hurd in action again. Looks like he could be a weapon if he makes the team. I also saw enough from Lance to make me think he can contribute if Garoppolo goes down to injury which , in my opinion, is a real possibility given his history.
Pass rush and D line in general looked good, again not playing against the Raider ones might skew that a little. Hufanga showed me that he is definitely making the team with his nose for the ball and great tackling.
For the life of me though, I can't see what they see in Sudfield. Might as well have kept Mullins.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More dropped passes tonight. That is becoming a consistent problem and nothing kills a drive quicker than that. Than again, it's not all the WRs' fault--Lance has to take something off of his fastball. That's where that football phrase "he throws a very catchable ball" comes in. Lance's ball isn't "very catchable."

Yes, Hurd played, but considering his history of getting and staying hurt and history of zero production, we just about have to cut him.

Well, the running game looked pretty good. Our top 2 Rbs got somewhere around 5ypa. That's nuts. Sure, the Raiders didn't have a lto of their defensive starters in, but it looked like we could've run Mostert and Simon on just about every play and never had to pass.

Big difference with Mack at center. We gotta pray he stays healthy.

The defense, particularly the pass defense, has looked better than I thought it would last night and basically all preseason. Ambry has been outplayed by Lenoir and Ward has not only played, but stayed healthy...weird.

Not sure what we're gonna do at S. Tartt came back and looked good, but how long will he be healthy? Whos is gonna be the backup there? Clinton Dix or Wilson? Dix can't cover, but he seems to be near the ball a lot.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like a solid tune up game. Garoppolo was sharp. Few more drops for Lance, and a few areas of indecision on his part.

I remember when Young took over for Montana. For the first few weeks at the beginning of the season folks were asking whether the receivers were comfortable with the rotation coming from a left-handed QB because there were several drops. Then everyone got used to it and you never heard about it again. Lance will settle down a bit and his receivers will get used to it. I care way more about his decisiveness. When he's decisive, his accuracy is solid.

Fun to see the starting Oline get out there and dominate.

Sherfield is a beast. Seeing his size and that #81 flying around takes me back to the Anquan Boldin days. I see a lot of 3rd down conversions in his future. Hurd's size and skills suggest a higher ceiling than others on the depth chart, and clearly the coaches have seen flashes from him, but I'm not sure he did enough to get a spot. Can he stay healthy and get into a rhythm? I dunno... I'd probably take Benjamin for the deep threat, speed and punt return upside.

Wouldn't Hufanga have a legit shot to get some starts at safety? Tartt looked hobbled after that last hit... and turf toe just never seems to go away.

That was the best our special teams have played in a looooong time. I was pleasantly surprised. Coverage was outstanding (especially on KO's). Return game was solid. Gould made all his kicks. Wishnowsky got off a 65yd punt, for christ's sake! Hope they didn't peak too early, lol.

On to the regular season, ladies and gents!!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More dropped passes tonight. That is becoming a consistent problem and nothing kills a drive quicker than that. Than again, it's not all the WRs' fault--Lance has to take something off of his fastball. That's where that football phrase "he throws a very catchable ball" comes in. Lance's ball isn't "very catchable."

Yes, Hurd played, but considering his history of getting and staying hurt and history of zero production, we just about have to cut him.

Well, the running game looked pretty good. Our top 2 Rbs got somewhere around 5ypa. That's nuts. Sure, the Raiders didn't have a lto of their defensive starters in, but it looked like we could've run Mostert and Simon on just about every play and never had to pass.

Big difference with Mack at center. We gotta pray he stays healthy.

The defense, particularly the pass defense, has looked better than I thought it would last night and basically all preseason. Ambry has been outplayed by Lenoir and Ward has not only played, but stayed healthy...weird.

Not sure what we're gonna do at S. Tartt came back and looked good, but how long will he be healthy? Whos is gonna be the backup there? Clinton Dix or Wilson? Dix can't cover, but he seems to be near the ball a lot.
Hurd also dropped two passes right in his hands and Ambry is gone. He's terrible. Hufanga can fill in for Tartt. he's another Palomalu

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like a solid tune up game. Garoppolo was sharp. Few more drops for Lance, and a few areas of indecision on his part.

I remember when Young took over for Montana. For the first few weeks at the beginning of the season folks were asking whether the receivers were comfortable with the rotation coming from a left-handed QB because there were several drops. Then everyone got used to it and you never heard about it again. Lance will settle down a bit and his receivers will get used to it. I care way more about his decisiveness. When he's decisive, his accuracy is solid.

Fun to see the starting Oline get out there and dominate.

Sherfield is a beast. Seeing his size and that #81 flying around takes me back to the Anquan Boldin days. I see a lot of 3rd down conversions in his future. Hurd's size and skills suggest a higher ceiling than others on the depth chart, and clearly the coaches have seen flashes from him, but I'm not sure he did enough to get a spot. Can he stay healthy and get into a rhythm? I dunno... I'd probably take Benjamin for the deep threat, speed and punt return upside.

Wouldn't Hufanga have a legit shot to get some starts at safety? Tartt looked hobbled after that last hit... and turf toe just never seems to go away.

That was the best our special teams have played in a looooong time. I was pleasantly surprised. Coverage was outstanding (especially on KO's). Return game was solid. Gould made all his kicks. Wishnowsky got off a 65yd punt, for christ's sake! Hope they didn't peak too early, lol.

On to the regular season, ladies and gents!!
Sherfield is the surprise of camp. I like that guy. I hate to give up on Hurd but he's gotta show something. I would not be surprised to see him get cut and assigned to the practice squad.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurd also dropped two passes right in his hands and Ambry is gone. He's terrible. Hufanga can fill in for Tartt. he's another Palomalu
No way Ambry gets cut. We just spent a 3rd rounder on him 3 months ago. For now Hufanga is going to play ST b/c he's too much of a liability in coverage to get much PT, but if he can improve his reaction and route recognition, he could be the surprise of our draft.

Sherfield is the surprise of camp. I like that guy. I hate to give up on Hurd but he's gotta show something. I would not be surprised to see him get cut and assigned to the practice squad.
I agree. Sherfield has come from nowhere. Out of Vanderbilt, the guy played for 3 years in AZ, where he was mostly used on ST. They let him walk and we signed him on a 1 year, 900k deal to, ideally, play ST and be a bottom of the rotation WR. So far, he's been our 3rd best WR and has shown good chemistry with Lance. He's been a great pickup.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Ambry gets cut. We just spent a 3rd rounder on him 3 months ago. For now Hufanga is going to play ST b/c he's too much of a liability in coverage to get much PT, but if he can improve his reaction and route recognition, he could be the surprise of our draft.

I agree. Sherfield has come from nowhere. Out of Vanderbilt, the guy played for 3 years in AZ, where he was mostly used on ST. They let him walk and we signed him on a 1 year, 900k deal to, ideally, play ST and be a bottom of the rotation WR. So far, he's been our 3rd best WR and has shown good chemistry with Lance. He's been a great pickup.
Agree... no way Ambry gets cut. Some dudes need more time to develop, and he's definitely got physical skills. He'll see some time on ST, though. I imagine Mitchell and Hufanga will see quality time on ST as well. Hufanga has decent football IQ and field awareness for a rookie... I could see him getting some playing time depending on the situation.

Sherfield may end up being an upgrade over Bourne given the physicality. That would be friggin awesome.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he even go to the practice squad after two years on the roster? If they do cut him, I think it's done-done. I'm not saying I hope he gets cut - someone with his raw skill and size would be immensely valuable, but my lord... he's a glass cannon.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he even go to the practice squad after two years on the roster? If they do cut him, I think it's done-done. I'm not saying I hope he gets cut - someone with his raw skill and size would be immensely valuable, but my lord... he's a glass cannon.
I could see us putting Hurd on the PS just to see if he can stay healthy there without us losing a roster spot. OTOH, I don't think he'd clear waivers to make it onto a PS--I think some team will take a flyer on him as the last WR on their roster.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about your assessment of Hufanga. PAC 12 defensive player of the year and a turnover machine at SC. I don't think he's forgotten how to play.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see us putting Hurd on the PS just to see if he can stay healthy there without us losing a roster spot. OTOH, I don't think he'd clear waivers to make it onto a PS--I think some team will take a flyer on him as the last WR on their roster.
Yeah, I believe you are right

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The comments on Hurd conjures up how some of the higher picks have 'busted'?!

Solomon Thomas
Reuben Foster [traded up for]
Dante Pettis [traded up for]
Jalen Hurd
CJ Beathard [traded up for]
Ahkellow Witherspoon
Tarvarious Moore
Aaron Banks?????
Ambry Thomas?????

McGlinchey is struggling as a #9 overall pick.

I know you don't get a 100% hit rate when drafting but these are higher round picks, you'd expect a better percentage. You shouldn't have 5th round picks holding you up (Kittle, Greenlaw, Lenoir?, Hufanga?)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments on Hurd conjures up how some of the higher picks have 'busted'?!

Solomon Thomas
Reuben Foster [traded up for]
Dante Pettis [traded up for]
Jalen Hurd
CJ Beathard [traded up for]
Ahkellow Witherspoon
Tarvarious Moore
Aaron Banks?????
Ambry Thomas?????

McGlinchey is struggling as a #9 overall pick.

I know you don't get a 100% hit rate when drafting but these are higher round picks, you'd expect a better percentage. You shouldn't have 5th round picks holding you up (Kittle, Greenlaw, Lenoir?, Hufanga?)
yeah, Shanahan and Lynch have not exactly been good with their draft picks. This year's draft will make or break them

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, Shanahan and Lynch have not exactly been good with their draft picks. This year's draft will make or break them
I wouldn't go this far but i get the gist. Teams NEED draft classes to pan out, else the cap will get you FAST.

As in all new seasons, the previous draft class should make more of a difference, this means mainly Kinlaw and Aiyuk.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go this far but i get the gist. Teams NEED draft classes to pan out, else the cap will get you FAST.

As in all new seasons, the previous draft class should make more of a difference, this means mainly Kinlaw and Aiyuk.
We are all expecting big things out of those two and I know the 49ers are counting on them. But, can they stay healthy?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are all expecting big things out of those two and I know the 49ers are counting on them. But, can they stay healthy?
Aiyuk doesn't appear to be 'injury prone', whereas Kinlaw already had a knee issue. I would expect Kinlaw not playing all 17 games.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aiyuk doesn't appear to be 'injury prone', whereas Kinlaw already had a knee issue. I would expect Kinlaw not playing all 17 games.
Didn't Aiyuk only play about half the season last year?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't play the entire season, thats right.
Let's hope that's not an indicator of being injury prone. That goes for Samuel too

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's hope that's not an indicator of being injury prone. That goes for Samuel too
Aiyuk doesn't have an on-going issue like Kinlaw, thats what i meant about Aiyuk not being injury prone. So i wasn't clear when i wrote it. Ok, we don't know just yet if Aiyuk is injury prone or not? No coubt we hope NOT.

Getting back to last year's draft class being more important.........................In the big picture we need Kinlaw to pan out more key than Aiyuk. There is nothing like a disruptive force at DT, which is harder to obtain. But Kinlaw has a knee issue which may be the indicator of being 'injury prone'.