• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Raiders

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aiyuk doesn't have an on-going issue like Kinlaw, thats what i meant about Aiyuk not being injury prone. So i wasn't clear when i wrote it. Ok, we don't know just yet if Aiyuk is injury prone or not? No coubt we hope NOT.

Getting back to last year's draft class being more important.........................In the big picture we need Kinlaw to pan out more key than Aiyuk. There is nothing like a disruptive force at DT, which is harder to obtain. But Kinlaw has a knee issue which may be the indicator of being 'injury prone'.
Agreed. For the life of me I cannot understand why they chose to keep Armstead over Buckner

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. For the life of me I cannot understand why they chose to keep Armstead over Buckner
The choice wasn't an easy either/or. If that had been the case, we'd have kept Buckner.

AA's deal
5 year, 85M
40M guaranteed
17M/year
Cap hits, First 3 yrs: 6, 12.4, 20 (38.4M total, 12.8M/yr avg)

Buckner's deal
4 year, 84M,
44.4M guaranteed
21M/yr
Cap hits, First 3 yrs: 23.4, 17, 16 (56.4M total, 18.8M/yr avg)

Buckner was paid A LOT more than what Armstead cost us. Buckner wanted to be paid just under Aaron Donald and he wasn't worth that much and the team was reportedly eyeing the extra cap space saved for new top of the market deals for Kittle and Warner.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The choice wasn't an easy either/or. If that had been the case, we'd have kept Buckner.

AA's deal
5 year, 85M
40M guaranteed
17M/year

Buckner's deal
4 year, 84M,
44.4M guaranteed
21M/yr

Buckner was paid A LOT more than what Armstead cost us. Buckner wanted to be paid just under Aaron Donald and he wasn't worth that much and the team was reportedly eyeing the extra cap space saved for new top of the market deals for Kittle and Warner.
Agreed... it was all about cap space. We couldn't have had the "successful" offseason we did signing free agents if we had Buckner's contract to contend with.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

AA's deal
5 year, 85M
40M guaranteed
17M/year

Buckner's deal
4 year, 84M,
44.4M guaranteed
21M/yr

Buckner is from Hawaii so HUGE fan, but looking at what we faced then, had to agree with that trade. Buckner deserved a BIG pay day no doubt in my mind, but the trade looked better for the 49ers. Everyone knows that trade depends on how well the pick pans out, so this is the season we find out.

We just overpaid Armstead as opposed to choosing him over Buckner, but it made sense to keep Armstead AFTER trading Buckner, plus his career season. It is unfortunate Armstead isn't even close to his career season, but now Ford/Bosa are back, we'll see?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AA's deal
5 year, 85M
40M guaranteed
17M/year

Buckner's deal
4 year, 84M,
44.4M guaranteed
21M/yr

Well Buckner is A LOT better than Armstead. Armstead was only productive because he had Buckner on one side of him and Bosa on the other. He got dominated last season without those guys.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Buckner is A LOT better than Armstead. Armstead was only productive because he had Buckner on one side of him and Bosa on the other. He got dominated last season without those guys.
I don't think anyone would disagree. That doesn't change the financial reality that we weren't gonna pay Buckner close to Aaron Donald money b/c he's not close to Aaron Donald production. Not paying Buckner was the right move, but DID overpay for Armstead. Maybe we'll see something more from him this year with Bosa back and a deeper DL.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone would disagree. That doesn't change the financial reality that we weren't gonna pay Buckner close to Aaron Donald money b/c he's not close to Aaron Donald production. Not paying Buckner was the right move, but DID overpay for Armstead. Maybe we'll see something more from him this year with Bosa back and a deeper DL.
Agreed. If Kinlaw shows up and Bosa is back to good form, Armstead will be the beneficiary