• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Franchise in London

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually like to see the NFL get into contract negotiations to purchase the CFL outright.

Buy it, merge the leagues, then you already have the established infrastructure of stadiums, etc. They'd have to make some significant changes due to the CFL fields being larger and getting the CFL teams on board with NFL rules (if they NFL buys the CFL, they're playing by NFL rules).

The NFL should definitely have the money needed to make a deal like that happen.

Wow..... Like Harold, Id never thought of that before. I honestly like the CFL. And Canadians like their football. If something could be done to conserve some its history, that might actually be an option.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather see one in a city that has never had one before.

San Antonio comes to mind.

So does Vegas.

I can see the Bills moving to Canada.

Im sure San Antonio would be an excellent NFL city. But idk about Vegas. The NFL is already tied to gambling more than any sport outside boxing(if we still consider boxing a sport). Slippery slope for any major sport to move there. Without Mr. Wilson you might be right on the Bills.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL should work on places like Los Angeles and possibly expand to new markets like Vegas, Louisville, Tidewater, or Omaha.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sure San Antonio would be an excellent NFL city. But idk about Vegas. The NFL is already tied to gambling more than any sport outside boxing(if we still consider boxing a sport). Slippery slope for any major sport to move there. Without Mr. Wilson you might be right on the Bills.

Oh yeah, San Antonio. Forgot about them.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just a Seattle problem but team's on the west coast problem in general.

The top 5 in mileage last season where all WC teams

1. San Francisco 32,948 miles (London)
2. San Diego 26,932
3. Oakland 26,240
4. Seattle 23,914
5. Arizona 20,620

Top 5 this upcoming season

1. Raiders: 36,106 miles (London)
2. Seahawks: 26,144
3. Cowboys: 24,746 (London)
4. Dolphins: 24,546 (London)
5. Jaguars: 22,230 (London)

6 and 7 were the Chargers and 9ers who probably would've been in the top 5 if 3-5 weren't playing in London.

So Seattle did get hammered in miles this season but most of that is from being on the WC and part of that is having a champions schedule. But if any team has a gripe it's the Raiders who would've logged in some serious mileage even if they weren't playing in London.

Thanks for doing the legwork for me jikkle.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding one team screws up the equality of each division. It doesn't make sense unless you move a team. Still, I don't like the idea because of travel.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cover those miles at a clip of 500 of per hour. They get a couple extra hours extra than a centrally located team. Considering they have a day off before the game and when they return it's day off as well. I don't think much of travel for teams other than an excuse. I've flown all over the world, hoped off planes and climbed mountains. Surely an NFL team can travel 2-3 extra hours and still play a game after a days rest. It's not like they fly in on sunday morning and catch a cab to the field.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how prospects who got drafted to a team in London would feel about moving, or living for the most part, out the U.S. of A. . Would the team just be players from Europe? If so it's game over before it even starts. They don't know this type of football.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of issues with a team in London.

British law is one of them

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7YCYBA&usg=AFQjCNEwbQ2muF4zJ_skEg9u5-oPxFLE6w

I just think the legal hurdles will be 2 big but the NFL might be able to skirt them with a team "legally" set in America that plays X number of its games in London with the rest of the season package going just like now with 4 games over there to sell the fans on.

2 many moving pieces for me. I don't think it would work

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They cover those miles at a clip of 500 of per hour. They get a couple extra hours extra than a centrally located team. Considering they have a day off before the game and when they return it's day off as well. I don't think much of travel for teams other than an excuse. I've flown all over the world, hoped off planes and climbed mountains. Surely an NFL team can travel 2-3 extra hours and still play a game after a days rest. It's not like they fly in on sunday morning and catch a cab to the field.

Says a fan of a team who doesn't lead the league in travel miles every year.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, does it bother you I don't find travel miles to be anything more than an excuse? They seriously fly 500 MHP. They average maybe 2 -4 hours round trip more than a couple other teams 8 games or less per year. Completely Brutal LOL

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of issues with a team in London.

British law is one of them

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7YCYBA&usg=AFQjCNEwbQ2muF4zJ_skEg9u5-oPxFLE6w

I just think the legal hurdles will be 2 big but the NFL might be able to skirt them with a team "legally" set in America that plays X number of its games in London with the rest of the season package going just like now with 4 games over there to sell the fans on.

2 many moving pieces for me. I don't think it would work

Given enough lobbying (presumably trying to convince government that an NFL team would be a benefit to the local economy) most of the legal issues could probably be worked around with a specific law to allow exemptions (or attached to a budget bill, I guess).

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given enough lobbying (presumably trying to convince government that an NFL team would be a benefit to the local economy) most of the legal issues could probably be worked around with a specific law to allow exemptions (or attached to a budget bill, I guess).

There's no way they'd get some kind of of tax exemption. Everyone in the EPL would be screaming bloody murder over it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell's saying it's 5-10 years away, which basically means that even though he's been pushing this lame-brain idea of football in Europe for some time it's still nowhere near a reality. A franchise over there would be a complete disaster and once the novelty wore off there would be tons of problems. The people there don't grow up with the sport, don't understand the rules, and probably wouldn't really feel like falling behind the red-headed stepchild of an American sports league.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way they'd get some kind of of tax exemption. Everyone in the EPL would be screaming bloody murder over it.

True. I doubt they could get a blanket exemption, but they could probably get some form of agreement. I'm guessing the EPL could too if they tried hard enough.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no reason to talk in circles. It simply will never happen.

today was supposed to be some interesting news about LA though....?