• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next year - Offseason Discussion

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do any of you expect any more moves before camp? I sure would like to see Drury get a contract or atleast a try out.

What do u think about Wellwood?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do any of you expect any more moves before camp? I sure would like to see Drury get a contract or atleast a try out.

What do u think about Wellwood?

I'm still expecting a move for a 3rd liner. Hopefully without giving up a dman. Other than that re-signing Couture is about the only thing Wilson has left to do.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sheppard could end up helping the Sharks this season if everything works out. Still lots of question marks though. I like the trade though, at this point anyway.

49ers suck! Go Seahawks!

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:heh:

Would love a solid 3rd line player also, but I just dont see it happening.

Unless Doug does something unthinkable.....

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, apparently their phones only dial out to one number, lol.

How so? Do you mean they've had a hard time developing superstar forwards? If that's the case I agree with you, but the Sharks have done an excellent job developing goaltenders, and an average job of developing defenseman (2nd - 3rd pairings) and forwards (2 - 4th lines). In general, they typically in the upper echelon as far as employing lineups of homegrown talent. Whether that's drafting talent or actual development is up for debate.

I may have not differentiated properly between scouting and development. That the Sharks find solid players in the later rounds I feel speaks towards their development. That the Sharks rarely find superstar gems speaks towards their scouting (and bad luck). Players who I feel have developed well in the A are: Cheechoo, Demers, Ehrhoff, Clowe -- Braun is (TBD). Players who I think developed mostly in SJ or college are DMurray and Pavelski .

Guys like Bernier, Michalek, Seto, all spent very little time in the A or none at all (Vlasic). I fault scouting for Bernier. I fault development for Lukas Kaspar. Disclaimer, this is just opinion as there are always back stories to why a player does or does not reach their full potential.

Did Marcel Goc not develop well or was he is what he is regardless? Same question goes for Jillson who I think was a bad pick since he's been to other orgs and still hasn't sniffed much NHL success.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Nabby, Kipper, Vesa, and our lord Nola Schaffer

Right. And Johan Hedberg too. When Warren was with us, the Sharks were a goalie factory. The goalies were for sure development more so than scouting.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right. And Johan Hedberg too. When Warren was with us, the Sharks were a goalie factory. The goalies were for sure development more so than scouting.

Yeah Hedberg developed in Philly he got traded to SJ either that off season or close to mid season before getting called up and sent to pitt. So thats on the flyers

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I may have not differentiated properly between scouting and development. That the Sharks find solid players in the later rounds I feel speaks towards their development. That the Sharks rarely find superstar gems speaks towards their scouting (and bad luck). Players who I feel have developed well in the A are: Cheechoo, Demers, Ehrhoff, Clowe -- Braun is (TBD). Players who I think developed mostly in SJ or college are DMurray and Pavelski .

Guys like Bernier, Michalek, Seto, all spent very little time in the A or none at all (Vlasic). I fault scouting for Bernier. I fault development for Lukas Kaspar. Disclaimer, this is just opinion as there are always back stories to why a player does or does not reach their full potential.

Did Marcel Goc not develop well or was he is what he is regardless? Same question goes for Jillson who I think was a bad pick since he's been to other orgs and still hasn't sniffed much NHL success.
Goc became what he was projected to be a solid 3rd line center, Jillison was all the sharks fault they shouldve let him develop his game in the A. They ruined that kid no other way of saying it.

I'm sure his attitude didnt help either

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
by the way, what is the scouting report on sgarbossa? Is there a chance he could make the club?

Same questions for viedensky?

Both guys seemed to be pretty dominant in jr's, and sgarbossa had the impressive hat trick last training camp. He kinda reminded me of marty st louis with his undersized frame but lightning speed and quickness. Be nice to have a guy like him make the team and make an impact.

Cmon, you usually know best, so fill me in...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
by the way, what is the scouting report on sgarbossa? Is there a chance he could make the club?

Same questions for viedensky?

Both guys seemed to be pretty dominant in jr's, and sgarbossa had the impressive hat trick last training camp. He kinda reminded me of marty st louis with his undersized frame but lightning speed and quickness. Be nice to have a guy like him make the team and make an impact.

Cmon, you usually know best, so fill me in...

Sgarbossa is a Steve Ott type player. An aggitator with a good nose for the net. He needs to learn to keep his cool in certain situations and stay away from the bad penalties. He also needs some polish to his defensive game. He's still a bit of a project so IMO he's a very long shot to make the NHL roster.

Viedensky is a carbon copy of Martin Hanzal. He has the potential to be a solid 3rd line shutdown center while still potting 10-15 goals and 35-40 points with linemates of the same ability level. It's possible he beats out Desjardins for the 4th line center spot but I think the organization will want him to get some experience at the AHL. It's possible he'll be one of the primary guys on the Worcester Shuttle this year.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andrei Kostitsyn anyone? After his receintly reported comments about Martin his stay in Monteal may be coming to an end.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrei Kostitsyn anyone? After his receintly reported comments about Martin his stay in Monteal may be coming to an end.

He complained about being on the 3rd line. He may not be happy here either.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He complained about being on the 3rd line. He may not be happy here either.

Perhaps, but I'm not sold on view that if a scoring line/3rd line winger is aquired that they'll automatically be on the 3rd line. IMO there is a good chance that if that winger is aquired the 3rd line is going to be Mitchell - Handzus - Pavelski.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but I'm not sold on view that if a scoring line/3rd line winger is aquired that they'll automatically be on the 3rd line. IMO there is a good chance that if that winger is aquired the 3rd line is going to be Mitchell - Handzus - Pavelski.

Agreed. He can easily fit in on the top two lines here and there throughout the course of the year. But what does it say about the player if Todd cannot place Kostitsyn next to Handzus without Kostitsyn acting up? He's a talent for sure. MTL may be in a hurry to trade him. I think a 2nd rounder and a mid level prospect can get the job done.

2nd rounder + Ferrio (sp)?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. He can easily fit in on the top two lines here and there throughout the course of the year. But what does it say about the player if Todd cannot place Kostitsyn next to Handzus without Kostitsyn acting up? He's a talent for sure. MTL may be in a hurry to trade him. I think a 2nd rounder and a mid level prospect can get the job done.

2nd rounder + Ferrio (sp)?

Is Kostitsyn unhappy because he had to play on the 3rd line or is he unhappy because Martin wouldn't explain to him why he was put on the 3rd/4th line? The article is a bit vague but it sounds more like he's upset with Martin for not talking to him about the situation rather than acutally being put on the 3rd line.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It would make the season exciting you know, russian mafia, gambling, complaining sure that sounds like a great idea lol