• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next year - Offseason Discussion

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of like this trade. I may look like an idiot on this one, but James Sheppard impressed me his first year in the league. A 3rd round pick is pretty expensive for a project (like cmon alluded to), but he has top 6 potential if he can put it all together.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I kind of like this trade. I may look like an idiot on this one, but James Sheppard impressed me his first year in the league. A 3rd round pick is pretty expensive for a project (like cmon alluded to), but he has top 6 potential if he can put it all together.

Obviously dwill has made a career out of selecting well in the later rounds, but sheppard could be a diamond in the rough. Going to a team with actuall forward depth could do wonders for his career
If not its just a 3rd rounder

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like this trade... Obviously sheppard has struggled early in his career but its pretty hard to be a 19 year old stud. Now, barely 23 is far from old and the talent is clearly there as a top 10 pick. It's a deal with a high potential upside for a pick 2 years from now. there are tons of top 10 talent that dont really start performing well until their mid 20's. (stephen weiss, 4th overall, didnt do much until 5 years after his draft. Mikko Koivu too was picked 6th overall in '01, but didnt put up solid numbers until 2006-7). The next two years would be the do-or-die years for sheppard, but he could become pretty good.

Of course, wonky knees are often career enders particularly for guys who rely on speed, so who knows.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Depending on how much value you put on the 3rd round pick there really isn't any risk to this trade. My guess is Sheppard was a player Wilson wanted to draft and he feels the Wild butchered his developement by bringing him straight to the NHL from the "Q". It probably didn't help that he and Lemaire clashed from the get go and Lemaire's style of game didn't mesh well with Sheppard's best attributes.

It's either that or Fletcher called him and said, "You want Jay Sheppard?" and Dougie, who was looking for this years reclamation project, heard, "You want Ray Sheppard?" and he jumped all over it.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like this trade... Obviously sheppard has struggled early in his career but its pretty hard to be a 19 year old stud. Now, barely 23 is far from old and the talent is clearly there as a top 10 pick. It's a deal with a high potential upside for a pick 2 years from now. there are tons of top 10 talent that dont really start performing well until their mid 20's. (stephen weiss, 4th overall, didnt do much until 5 years after his draft. Mikko Koivu too was picked 6th overall in '01, but didnt put up solid numbers until 2006-7). The next two years would be the do-or-die years for sheppard, but he could become pretty good.

Of course, wonky knees are often career enders particularly for guys who rely on speed, so who knows.

Sheppard's game doesn't rely on speed, mainly because he doesn't have much. He's a good skater in the sence that he is agile with good balance but speed wise I'd put him middle of the pack. He showed great on ice vision and a good nose for the net in juniors but so far both those have failed to translate to the NHL level.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Depending on how much value you put on the 3rd round pick there really isn't any risk to this trade. My guess is Sheppard was a player Wilson wanted to draft and he feels the Wild butchered his developement by bringing him straight to the NHL from the "Q". It probably didn't help that he and Lemaire clashed from the get go and Lemaire's style of game didn't mesh well with Sheppard's best attributes.

It's either that or Fletcher called him and said, "You want Jay Sheppard?" and Dougie, who was looking for this years reclamation project, heard, "You want Ray Sheppard?" and he jumped all over it.

I agree that the jump from the Q was probably a huge mistake by the wild. My understanding is that the Q isn't nearly the league it used to be so that may have also been a factor

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that the jump from the Q was probably a huge mistake by the wild. My understanding is that the Q isn't nearly the league it used to be so that may have also been a factor

From about 1997 to 2007 or '08 the Q was all offense. There were absolutely no fundimentals taught. It's gotten significantly better in the last few years though.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sheppard's game doesn't rely on speed, mainly because he doesn't have much. He's a good skater in the sence that he is agile with good balance but speed wise I'd put him middle of the pack. He showed great on ice vision and a good nose for the net in juniors but so far both those have failed to translate to the NHL level.

ahh, my apologies... I was just reading more about it and goofed...

Anyways, still, knees are particularly tough to recover fully from. Sure would be nice if he can become a regular contributor in the top 9 by the end of this year, or even next year.

whats the timetable on him being able to play? I read that it he would be able to play around the start of the season after camp... It would be nice if he could start the season in worcester and get some time down there to re-develop, and provie if he might be ready to come up mid-year.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ahh, my apologies... I was just reading more about it and goofed...

Anyways, still, knees are particularly tough to recover fully from. Sure would be nice if he can become a regular contributor in the top 9 by the end of this year, or even next year.

whats the timetable on him being able to play? I read that it he would be able to play around the start of the season after camp... It would be nice if he could start the season in worcester and get some time down there to re-develop, and provie if he might be ready to come up mid-year.

Haven't seen anything on when he might be back on the ice. The only info I've seen is that he won't be ready for camp.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so who's next on the trade list???

How about letendresse and harding for niitymaki, petrecki, and minny's 2nd rounder next year? hahaha...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From about 1997 to 2007 or '08 the Q was all offense. There were absolutely no fundimentals taught. It's gotten significantly better in the last few years though.

That would explain why so many good goalies have come out of the Q. Didn't Roy blame Guy Boucher for ruining the Q

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up with these two GMs trading with one another. Going back to the Staubitz for a 5th rounder, then now these three trades this off season.

I think this is a waste of a third rounder. The Sharks do not develop well so I see no reason to believe that Sheppard will see the light with the Sharks' coaching in the AHL. Hope I'm wrong.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's up with these two GMs trading with one another. Going back to the Staubitz for a 5th rounder, then now these three trades this off season.

I think this is a waste of a third rounder. The Sharks do not develop well so I see no reason to believe that Sheppard will see the light with the Sharks' coaching in the AHL. Hope I'm wrong.

REAlly?!?!? So your saying Couture, Clowe, Demers and Pavelski aren't well developed

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
REAlly?!?!? So your saying Couture, Clowe, Demers and Pavelski aren't well developed

The only one of those players I'd give any credit to Sommers and Cunniff for their developement is Demers. Both Couture and Pavelski weren't there long enough and Clowe developed much more at the NHL level than he did in the A.

As an organization they've done much better with developing prospects now that Ricci and Marchment are doing most of the heavy lifting. However, if Wilson just thinks Sheppard needs a change of scenery and expects Sommers/Cunniff to get Sheppard straightened out then he's in for a rude awakening.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know, apparently their phones only dial out to one number, lol.

How so? Do you mean they've had a hard time developing superstar forwards? If that's the case I agree with you, but the Sharks have done an excellent job developing goaltenders, and an average job of developing defenseman (2nd - 3rd pairings) and forwards (2 - 4th lines). In general, they typically in the upper echelon as far as employing lineups of homegrown talent. Whether that's drafting talent or actual development is up for debate.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pavs: played 16 games in the A. I'd say his game was developed in college and with the SJ Sharks.

Couture: played one season. The A did him well but I'm inclined to say he would have made a nice impact with SJ regardless of time in the A.

Clowe: developed well in the A.

Demers developed well in the A.

Ehrhoff developed well in the A.

I'd like to take back that statement.

Doh, it's not the first time i talked out my butt.

:brick:

Even if Sheppard becomes a third line grinder, it's still good value for that 3rd rounder.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know, apparently their phones only dial out to one number, lol.

How so? Do you mean they've had a hard time developing superstar forwards? If that's the case I agree with you, but the Sharks have done an excellent job developing goaltenders, and an average job of developing defenseman (2nd - 3rd pairings) and forwards (2 - 4th lines). In general, they typically in the upper echelon as far as employing lineups of homegrown talent. Whether that's drafting talent or actual development is up for debate.

No thier phone is 2 cups with very long piece of string attached to them

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pavs: played 16 games in the A. I'd say his game was developed in college and with the SJ Sharks.

Couture: played one season. The A did him well but I'm inclined to say he would have made a nice impact with SJ regardless of time in the A.

Clowe: developed well in the A.

Demers developed well in the A.

Ehrhoff developed well in the A.

I'd like to take back that statement.

Doh, it's not the first time i talked out my butt.

:brick:

Even if Sheppard becomes a third line grinder, it's still good value for that 3rd rounder.

Don't forget Nabby, Kipper, Vesa, and our lord Nola Schaffer