• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went after the fans, told the media he didn't have to explain anything to them...this was the day after he avoided the post game presser which is also a bit of a no-no for someone who's supposed to be a team leader.

Came off with arrogance that he hasn't earned.
also held himself accountable for the loss and explained why he didn't talk after the game (mostly blaming himself). Said he only cares what his teammates think (which are the guys he is supposed to be leading). I doubt they care if he pisses off the media as I'm sure they'd like to do the same at times. Now, pissing them off might not be the wisest move but that will affect him. Not his teammates.

Went after some fans and he wasn't exactly wrong. Screaming when your own team has the ball isn't very smart.

All that said, better to talk after the game......but his explanation why he didn't was fine.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t think it means much in terms of Tenn, that’s just the NFL from week to week it seems.
No disagreement there as I've been saying that every week (league is so unpredictable this season).....but excusing TN for losing because TT played is kooky talk. It's a bad loss like many of the others we've seen.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also held himself accountable for the loss and explained why he didn't talk after the game (mostly blaming himself). Said he only cares what his teammates think (which are the guys he is supposed to be leading). I doubt they care if he pisses off the media as I'm sure they'd like to do the same at times. Now, pissing them off might not be the wisest move but that will affect him. Not his teammates.

When your quarterback/leader has a contentious relationship with the media, it effects his teammates because he's a distraction. That's why, with the exception of Aaron Rogers, most high end QB's try to stay friendly with the press.

Mark Sanchez told a good story about that yesterday...he said that after a bad game when he was with the Jets, he didn't want to talk to the media after the game, told someone within the organization (don't remember if it was a coach or a PR person) that he wasn't talking to the media, he was going home. They all but begged him not to do that...so he said "Fine, I'll write out a prepared statement, read that and then I'm out"...again, they begged him not to do that. So, he finally relented, went out and "took the slings and arrows'', blamed himself for the loss and ended up being glad he did because of what it did for him in the locker room.

Went after some fans and he wasn't exactly wrong. Screaming when your own team has the ball isn't very smart.

It may not be, but it's also not very smart to go after the very people you're counting on to support you and your team. It came across as him blaming the fans for his own failures in those situations.

All that said, better to talk after the game......but his explanation why he didn't was fine.

Not according to the former QB's and former players that I heard talking about it, it isn't. They all basically said that if he had played well, he'd have talked after the game. So, he has to do the same when he plays poorly. They said it was a great opportunity to make the fact that they won, all about his teammates and instead, by not talking, he made it about himself.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your quarterback/leader has a contentious relationship with the media, it effects his teammates because he's a distraction. That's why, with the exception of Aaron Rogers, most high end QB's try to stay friendly with the press.

Mark Sanchez told a good story about that yesterday...he said that after a bad game when he was with the Jets, he didn't want to talk to the media after the game, told someone within the organization (don't remember if it was a coach or a PR person) that he wasn't talking to the media, he was going home. They all but begged him not to do that...so he said "Fine, I'll write out a prepared statement, read that and then I'm out"...again, they begged him not to do that. So, he finally relented, went out and "took the slings and arrows'', blamed himself for the loss and ended up being glad he did because of what it did for him in the locker room.

It may not be, but it's also not very smart to go after the very people you're counting on to support you and your team. It came across as him blaming the fans for his own failures in those situations.

Not according to the former QB's and former players that I heard talking about it, it isn't. They all basically said that if he had played well, he'd have talked after the game. So, he has to do the same when he plays poorly. They said it was a great opportunity to make the fact that they won, all about his teammates and instead, by not talking, he made it about himself.
There are some who think what he said was fine, some who didn't. IMO, his actions after the game were not fine, but I was OK with his explanation/comments the next day.

Seems like your bringing up ex players and what they think are more in line with my thoughts as they seem to think his actions after the game were the issue. Not his explanation.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some who think what he said was fine, some who didn't. IMO, his actions after the game were not fine, but I was OK with his explanation/comments the next day.

Seems like your bringing up ex players and what they think are more in line with my thoughts as they seem to think his actions after the game were the issue. Not his explanation.

Of course!

Surely he had a legit reason in his head as to why he didn’t talk to the press. I don’t know what those are and honestly not sure it matters.

However, leaders need to be able to be their best selves in the face of adversity.

IMO, players who are too salty to take to the media after a poor performance are also probably less likely to handle adverse situations on the field.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course!

Surely he had a legit reason in his head as to why he didn’t talk to the press. I don’t know what those are and honestly not sure it matters.

However, leaders need to be able to be their best selves in the face of adversity.

IMO, players who are too salty to take to the media after a poor performance are also probably less likely to handle adverse situations on the field.
Not sure about the latter based off of one after game situation but agree he handled it wrong...which was why I said he handled it wrong (not talking after game).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about the latter based off of one after game situation but agree he handled it wrong...which was why I said he handled it wrong (not talking after game).

If it is a well established QB with a rep for performing when the chips are down then I agree it wouldn’t matter.

But when in Baker’s situation playing for his first big contract and playing to be the future of the franchise, EVERYTHING matters.

Situations like this are opportunities to send a message to the fans, the organization and teammates that he is the leader they can count on.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when he explained why he didn't talk after the game? I heard it. what was the problem?

What was the problem? From dawgpound-daily-.com- Baker Mayfield calls out fans who booed him Sunday. He said he doesn't care what the fans think. Fuck him. He plays badly, he deserves to be booed.

Then his stupid wife went to the social medias and questioned the entire teams toughness. I never have been a 100% Mayfield fan. After this nonsense not sure I can support that massive douchebag anymore.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the problem? From dawgpound-daily-.com- Baker Mayfield calls out fans who booed him Sunday. He said he doesn't care what the fans think. Fuck him. He plays badly, he deserves to be booed.

Then his stupid wife went to the social medias and questioned the entire teams toughness. I never have been a 100% Mayfield fan. After this nonsense not sure I can support that massive douchebag anymore.
Bad move there...

Guess he hasn't grown up as much as you'd hoped...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he did...which helps further make my point. Even though he led the league in passing the Texans were still 4-12. Meaning with Taylor they are even worse.....and Tennessee just lost to them.

I was talking vs Davis Mills, not Watson. Last year is so.......last year? Losing to a Davis Mills led Texans team is much worse than a Tyrod led team.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad move there...

Guess he hasn't grown up as much as you'd hoped...

A player should never badmouth a loyal fanbase like that. But Mayfield's ego (and I knew this already) is bigger than the state of Ohio.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement there as I've been saying that every week (league is so unpredictable this season).....but excusing TN for losing because TT played is kooky talk. It's a bad loss like many of the others we've seen.

Straw-man argument there. I wasn't defending TN losing whatsoever, just pointing out that the Tyrod is a far better leader and QB than Mills.

The only team close to clean (no bad losses) would be the Cards, and only because they have been without Kyler and Hopkins for weeks now. Take away the injury excuse and the whole league is varying levels of mediocre....other than the Lions.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy even thinks he owns the stadium, lol....

Well can't say I'd be too upset if he gets locked out the stadium. Taking a shot at the Browns loyal fan base really pissed me off. Mayfield's a schmuck in cleats.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, Cleveland fans have been more than fair to him, imo. When you consider what they've been through over the decades...if there is one fanbase in all of the NFL that has earned the right to boo...it's Browns fans.

Meh, she shouldn't be doing that and Baker needs to make sure she understands that...but it's hard to blame a wife sticking up for her husband. Even Giselle has gone to social media to defend Brady...so Bakers wife gets a pass for that one. Can't really do it again though. lol

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well can't say I'd be too upset if he gets locked out the stadium. Taking a shot at the Browns loyal fan base really pissed me off. Mayfield's a schmuck in cleats.

I haven't been a fan either, but his good games already exceeded my expectations for him. That said, this year has clearly been a regression and injuries have been a part of that. It's tough to see him securing the bag from the Browns unless he lights it up next season. Do they draft a QB this spring?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, she shouldn't be doing that and Baker needs to make sure she understands that...but it's hard to blame a wife sticking up for her husband. Even Giselle has gone to social media to defend Brady...so Bakers wife gets a pass for that one. Can't really do it again though. lol
At least Baker doesn't wear Uggs

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Cleveland fans have been more than fair to him, imo. When you consider what they've been through over the decades...if there is one fanbase in all of the NFL that has earned the right to boo...it's Browns fans.

The Browns used to be the reason I drank on Sunday's. Sometimes I still wanna drink on Sunday's because of them. Mayfield should have just said he's struggling through injuries this season instead of taking a very unnecessary shot at the only people that support him.

And I forget about Mrs. TB12. She's another that should have just kept quite.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been a fan either, but his good games already exceeded my expectations for him. That said, this year has clearly been a regression and injuries have been a part of that. It's tough to see him securing the bag from the Browns unless he lights it up next season. Do they draft a QB this spring?

Not sure the Browns will be in a position on draft day to get a QB that could make a difference. If I remember correctly they have BM (so pissed at him at the moment gonna call him bowel movement for a while) under contract through next season.

So basically he's gotta get healthy for next season then prove he's worth the kinda money true franchise QB's get. Because right now he's not worth that kinda money.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure the Browns will be in a position on draft day to get a QB that could make a difference. If I remember correctly they have BM (so pissed at him at the moment gonna call him bowel movement for a while) under contract through next season.

So basically he's gotta get healthy for next season then prove he's worth the kinda money true franchise QB's get. Because right now he's not worth that kinda money.

Well, next year's QB crop isn't top of the draft quality and likely needs to development, so maybe that plays into Cleveland's situation a bit. A CBS mock I just looked at only had 1 QB picked before the Browns' current slot (Corral #4 to Houston). Lots of time for that to change of course.