• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a point of note, it really wasn’t a “return”. It was a brand new franchise from the jump. The franchise that you’re saying “returned” is now in Baltimore and they’ve won 2 Super Bowls since shaking the stink of Cleveland off their franchise.
cool story.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s two different conversations. Legally the naming and licensing rights for the title “Cleveland Browns” stayed with the city. However, the franchise that was right there with Denver in the 1980s and won a shit ton of titles in the 50s picked up and moved to Baltimore where they also took on a different name. No matter what you want to name it or call it the reality is that the old Browns franchise that actually had a track record for success left. The current iteration of the franchise was an expansion franchise that has been an unmitigated abortion since it’s inception save a year or two.
It's not just legally, it's factually.

In most other cases the team had reason to move. Not enough fan support, for instance. Not the case here as was evidenced by the fans taking it to the NFL and getting what we deserved (which no other team ever did).....a guarantee of a new team here AND the name, records, etc before the old one was even out the door.

I do feel for those other cities that lost teams as even knowing ours would be back in a few years sucked. Cannot imagine how bad it would have been for those who had no idea if/when they might see a team again.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh hell since their return in '99 they're the blue print of what not to do.

Saw the other day the Haslam's might buy a share of the Bucks. If that happens Giannis should demand a trade.
why? The Haslams have proven IF they have a FO they trust they will let them do their work AND they are not shy about spending even in a small market.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know as it's necessarily about blaming the Browns if they don't get a deal done as it is pointing out how much more difficult his contract has made negotiations for other teams. Especially for teams with elite level QB's.

If the Ravens don't re-sign him. that's still mainly on them because it's ultimately up to them to pay up or not.

However, some of that is on the Browns because without their deal with Wastson, it's unlikely that Jackson is demanding a fully guaranteed deal.

The Browns aren't as much to blame as many will try to say they are because ultimately, they did what they thought was best for their franchise which is what they're supposed to do.

But they did set the market with a pretty unprecedented deal, so they do have to own that.
That last part is true....though because of what you said before it I doubt they care and nor should they.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In most other cases the team had reason to move. Not enough fan support, for instance. Not the case here as was evidenced by the fans taking it to the NFL and getting what we deserved (which no other team ever did).....a guarantee of a new team here AND the name, records, etc before the old one was even out the door.

I do feel for those other cities that lost teams as even knowing ours would be back in a few years sucked. Cannot imagine how bad it would have been for those who had no idea if/when they might see a team again.
Well, I mean the Rams came running back here. And the current Texans franchise was originally gonna come here as well if they woulda worked things out back then...

L.A. was simply too big of a market NOT to have the NFL here. And hell, when the Rams AND the Raiders boned outta here in '94 I knew it was only a matter of time...:D

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand for baseball, but now college football all worried about reducing game times. You ever watched any college football game and thought this is just too long? They think they are going to get fans they are never going to really get.
I've thought it but it's never stopped me from watching. Those 8pm night games that take 4 hours can be brutal.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball been trying this strategy for 20 years without success, other than actually succeeding in alienating some die hards like me. I hardly watch anymore and it was my favorite sport.
what did baseball change that was the last straw for you?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and as an addendum to my last post, I think the Chargers coming here was a big mistake. Just my opinion, but I think in the end it could bite the Spanos family in the ass. We'll see...

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what did baseball change that was the last straw for you?
When you have a 90 ft hole in the infield and guys won’t even try to hit the ball there it blows my mind. All the strikeouts is the main thing for me though, no pride. And baseball has let it happen.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno about him, but the steroid scandal did it for me...
Ehh I guess that was part of it because once baseball, and the players union, let that happen I’m sure they didn’t think they could go back to small ball so they started trying to invent ways for more offense to get more fans. It didn’t work, not for me anyway.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things have gotten so stupid
Much as I've complained about my team not spending in past I've never had an issue not handing out these megadeals that teams almost always seem to regret at some point (and often not that long).

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but THIS regime has avoided it and been 26-24 so far.....without a franchise level QB for most of those games.
Hopefully that effect can fade away

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have a 90 ft hole in the infield and guys won’t even try to hit the ball there it blows my mind. All the strikeouts is the main thing for me though, no pride. And baseball has let it happen.
Good points, but hard to fathom just not watching at all....if you really liked it that much. But that's me.

I kind of hoped last work stoppage they'd shot it down until the owners could get what they wanted to make it a little more equitable to all teams...if it took 3 years so be it. But I say this as someone who cannot watch the sport unless I care who wins.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was this iteration of the Cleveland Browns an expansion franchise that started in 1999? Have they done anything of note in that time?