• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He only has a year left though
beat me too it...and not exactly young at 30. No doubt they will be trying to improve at CB...how much depends on what they think they can count on from Greedy (talent and health). If not much faith I could see spending big $$ there. But need to factor in a big deal for Ward kicking in possibly for the 2023 season (and 5th year in 2022 not exactly chump change).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'd be a nice insurance option on Ward (and probably a better corner anyway arguably) considering Wards injury history
Man I don't know about that. I think Ward is better and not like he misses a ton of games...never more than 4 (and 2 last year were Covid). Cannot say I've watched a lot of Lattimore, but thought I read PFF ranked Ward a lot higher last season.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decided to look, and not so young. He's 30. Not exactly sure how his contract works for a team who acquired him. Base is $7 mil, but says total and cap hit around $15 mil. Last year of deal, which also makes compensation less as either need to pay a decling player big bucks or risk losing him. I think you might be able to get him for a 3rd (we have an extra), but who knows?

I would prefer Marshon of the two I think.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beat me too it...and not exactly young at 30. No doubt they will be trying to improve at CB...how much depends on what they think they can count on from Greedy (talent and health). If not much faith I could see spending big $$ there. But need to factor in a big deal for Ward kicking in possibly for the 2023 season (and 5th year in 2022 not exactly chump change).

They'd have to stay cheap on safety obviously and not sign a high priced LB. Get a Vernon priced DE and put the rest away to sign Ward, chubb, and Baker. Dump either Hooper or Njoku. Most likely Njoku.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd have to stay cheap on safety obviously and not sign a high priced LB. Get a Vernon priced DE and put the rest away to sign Ward, chubb, and Baker. Dump either Hooper or Njoku. Most likely Njoku.
If Delpit healthy they can stay cheap there with him and Harrison (and redwine). Maybe bring back Joseph or someone like that. I think they don't think LB is a big money position based on last offseason, but wonder if that would change if a gamewrecker was available they liked. I'd like to see M. smith and Goodson back on team friendly deals.

Guess good thing is Ward and Baker extensions (if they get them) don't kick in until 2023 season (nice raises in 5th year of 2022, but less than 2023 would be). Hard to know what to do with baker/extension. I suspect only gets one this offseason if he'd take a lot less than he could get on open market. Otherwise, might as well see what he does next year. would it really be so terrible if they had to pay him a lot more because he proved he was an elite level QB? Nice "problem" to have.

Chubb also interesting. Need a decision sooner as next year is his final year. seems easy to say just pay him, but not sure many teams have paid RBs big money lately and been thrilled about the deal by the middle of it (or sooner).

I wont be surprised at all if Njoku has a solid season and Hooper goes. But, yeah, one will.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fabulous....but he's not required to show up anywhere for a few more months. So there's that.

and if more than 1 team want him, offers get better. Not worse.

There are more possibilities before the draft.

The longer they wait, the fewer teams are interested. And trading a pick is a lot easier than trading a player.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Delpit healthy they can stay cheap there with him and Harrison (and redwine). Maybe bring back Joseph or someone like that. I think they don't think LB is a big money position based on last offseason, but wonder if that would change if a gamewrecker was available they liked. I'd like to see M. smith and Goodson back on team friendly deals.

Guess good thing is Ward and Baker extensions (if they get them) don't kick in until 2023 season (nice raises in 5th year of 2022, but less than 2023 would be). Hard to know what to do with baker/extension. I suspect only gets one this offseason if he'd take a lot less than he could get on open market. Otherwise, might as well see what he does next year. would it really be so terrible if they had to pay him a lot more because he proved he was an elite level QB? Nice "problem" to have.

Chubb also interesting. Need a decision sooner as next year is his final year. seems easy to say just pay him, but not sure many teams have paid RBs big money lately and been thrilled about the deal by the middle of it (or sooner).

I wont be surprised at all if Njoku has a solid season and Hooper goes. But, yeah, one will.

The real question comes down to Chubb or Teller I think. Chances are they franchise him imo since he doesn't have the option year Ward and Baker has. Then they extend Ward and wait on Baker possibly. Obviously the Goff and Wentz horror stories have them a tad apprehensive

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are more possibilities before the draft.

The longer they wait, the fewer teams are interested. And trading a pick is a lot easier than trading a player.
agreed....good thing the draft is still nearly 2 months away.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question comes down to Chubb or Teller I think. Chances are they franchise him imo since he doesn't have the option year Ward and Baker has. Then they extend Ward and wait on Baker possibly. Obviously the Goff and Wentz horror stories have them a tad apprehensive
Fascinated also to see what they do with Chubb. The emotional fans will think we must sign him no matter what he wants. and, sure, he embodies their tough, smart, accountable mantra. But I'm looking at the list of the top 10 paid RBs and I'm not sure who helped their team win in 2020. I guess Henry, but his team sure could have used his money better on D (and they went as far or farther in 2019)......I think you might be right they just franchise him to buy an extra year. 8 teams on this list were awful.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I would think the teams would have barbers available to these guys if going to a barber is such a big deal

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a feeling Bryant was not expected to be added, but figured 4th round not a bad time to take the Mackey Award winner if they figured a value pick. Also allows them to dump the salary of Njoku or Hooper before or after this season if they want. Well, one will go for sure after the season, because either Njoku plays well and wants big money, or does not live up to expectations and they just move on.

Not sure if you are somewhere you can listen but Berry has come on a couple stations here for interviews. I could listen to him all day. Love his approach.

I don't think they necessarily viewed Bryant as a TE. He's more of a big WR really; not going to be anything close to a stout blocker against anyone bigger than a safety.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Everyone is pretty much trying to figure out why they're insisting on prolonging the inevitable and pointing out that the longer it drags on, the lower the offers are likely to become.

Maybe they're playing 3D chess and everyone else is playing checkers, but generally speaking, when an unhappy player want outs, it becomes public and the player is refusing to show up...the offers tend to get worse, not better.

I don't think the Texans are playing 3D chess. I think they have zero intention of trading Watson. And I don't think there is a possible trade offer that they would entertain.

QBs are a unique beast. There is no other position that has greater importance in a team sport. Trading a top tier QB will ALWAYS mean trading pennies on the dollar. And if you are the GM that pulls the trigger on that trade, your days are numbered unless you get REALLY lucky. I guess they could trade Watson to the Phish and hope either that Tua could become a great QB or that they hit it big with the pick they get back from them.

Now the Texans do have some work to do to fix the relationship with Watson but ultimately they are going to make it clear to him that trading him is not an option.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they necessarily viewed Bryant as a TE. He's more of a big WR really; not going to be anything close to a stout blocker against anyone bigger than a safety.
They play 2-3 TEs often so guessing he viewed him as a TE. was once thought Njoku could not block and he was an exceptional blocker last season. Doesn't mean Bryant can do the same but my guess is Njoku or Hooper goes by end of next season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Texans are playing 3D chess. I think they have zero intention of trading Watson. And I don't think there is a possible trade offer that they would entertain.

QBs are a unique beast. There is no other position that has greater importance in a team sport. Trading a top tier QB will ALWAYS mean trading pennies on the dollar. And if you are the GM that pulls the trigger on that trade, your days are numbered unless you get REALLY lucky. I guess they could trade Watson to the Phish and hope either that Tua could become a great QB or that they hit it big with the pick they get back from them.

Now the Texans do have some work to do to fix the relationship with Watson but ultimately they are going to make it clear to him that trading him is not an option.
agree other than the pennies on the dollar aspect. Pretty sure Ramsey brought back 2 first rounders so would think a team might offer 3 or more and/or a player with maybe 2-3 first rounders for an established QB.

Just not sure I buy the notion they wont deal him just because they say they wont. Many teams say guys are not going to be traded...until they are. Plenty of time until even the draft let alone the next season. Just because they say they wont deal him does not mean they wont. If anything, sounding so open to it keeps the price down, doesn't it?

doesn't look good for them, no doubt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You may be right. But, last I heard, he won't answer their calls. Imo, part of the problem with trying to speculate is that this is a pretty unique situation. As someone else pointed out...you don't see QB's this good and this young in this situation.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree other than the pennies on the dollar aspect. Pretty sure Ramsey brought back 2 first rounders so would think a team might offer 3 or more and/or a player with maybe 2-3 first rounders for an established QB.

Teams would be willing to give up 4 1st draft picks for him. Plus some other stuff probably. That is STILL pennies on the dollar for an elite QB. First off, those picks are almost certainly going to be mostly back half of the draft picks because you are giving the team an elite QB. Secondly, the odds of being able to draft an elite QB are wayyyy lower than 1 in 4. So the chances of them getting a QB of close to the same level are very slim. And trying to win a Super Bowl without an elite QB is a fool's errand.

Just not sure I buy the notion they wont deal him just because they say they wont. Many teams say guys are not going to be traded...until they are. Plenty of time until even the draft let alone the next season. Just because they say they wont deal him does not mean they wont. If anything, sounding so open to it keeps the price down, doesn't it?

doesn't look good for them, no doubt.

QBs are not like other players. I really can't think of a comparable situation where a top 7 or 8 QB entering their prime would be put on the market.