• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't exactly blow me away in year one tbh. He had some injuries there also but even on field he was mediocre.

I think they have to look to corner either in draft or FA
not sure what you hear or read but rumblings they are after Gilmore or Lattimore. Then again, hard to ever believe rumors as seems the deals that are made are ones no one knew about.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really not that much different from where Harden was at the start of this season. Harden had no leverage signed for multiple years.

If Watson so chooses, he can make life really miserable for his teammates and the organization. I am not saying that he should do that, but if the Texans continue to ignore him, at some point he is almost incentivized to behave badly and force his way out.

That is why Houston can’t afford to let it get there.
agree....but the way some talk it's like they've already let it get there....and they haven't. Because they have not yet traded him gives us no inclination that they wont. But at this point there's no hurry unless someone makes an offer they cannot refuse.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant took Kyrie first? Jesus H.

It was a brilliant move.

I mean, the team he drafted absolutely sucks compared to LeBron’s.

But KD is looking ahead to the playoffs and he knows he needs to play to Kyrie’s ego.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. There are something like 15 teams in the NFL that need a QB or will in the next season or 2. There are not 15 franchise level QB's available.

So, maybe they figure that, as some of the few franchise or potential franchise QB's get picked up, teams that need a QB will get desperate?

That seems like a risky strategy. If it works, then maybe they get that historic haul you mentioned. But if it doesn't, they could be paying for that mistake for years to come.
NFL owners don’t swarm like Piranas when a team has a player issue like they do in some leagues, though I’m not mentioning any.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a brilliant move.

I mean, the team he drafted absolutely sucks compared to LeBron’s.

But KD is looking ahead to the playoffs and he knows he needs to play to Kyrie’s ego.

I think it's telling he would need to do that for kyrie

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's telling he would need to do that for kyrie

I think it would be more telling if he didn’t pick Kyrie.

Who wins the all star game doesn’t matter. If KD can improve his relationship with his teammate by picking him first, he should do it every time.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be more telling if he didn’t pick Kyrie.

Who wins the all star game doesn’t matter. If KD can improve his relationship with his teammate by picking him first, he should do it every time.
And to me that right there is why this format sucks. But all all star games suck so whatever.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. At this point, it's time to move on. If for no other reason than to save the rest of the team. How is it going to be for the rest of the roster playing all season long with focus being placed on the feud between the franchise QB and the FO?

Maybe you play hard ball if the issue is the size/length of his next contract...but when a guy has come out and said "I will never wear that uniform again"...nothing good comes from forcing him to stay.
Nothing good comes from panicking and making a move because your hand is forced either. We are still 4-5 months away from training camp, let alone an actual game that matters.

when you feel like the best offer you will get is made then move him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. There are something like 15 teams in the NFL that need a QB or will in the next season or 2. There are not 15 franchise level QB's available.

So, maybe they figure that, as some of the few franchise or potential franchise QB's get picked up, teams that need a QB will get desperate?

That seems like a risky strategy. If it works, then maybe they get that historic haul you mentioned. But if it doesn't, they could be paying for that mistake for years to come.
OK.....but if Watson is so good (and he is) is it likely a team will pull their offer if you wait a little longer and come back and say "still want him?"

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing good comes from panicking and making a move because your hand is forced either. We are still 4-5 months away from training camp, let alone an actual game that matters.

when you feel like the best offer you will get is made then move him.

Problem is, unless something has changed, they haven't listened to any offers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK.....but if Watson is so good (and he is) is it likely a team will pull their offer if you wait a little longer and come back and say "still want him?"

Depends on how long the Texans want to play hard ball. I expect there will come a point for all teams where they will decide that they've waited long enough and will grab the best available franchise QB so that they can start working with him and getting him up to speed on scheme, the playbook, working out with his receivers, etc.

As for when that is...I'd expect that would be different for each team based on how long they feel they can wait and what they think of the QB's that are available.

Maybe their intent is to wait until all of the available franchise level QB's are gone? It would limit the number of teams teams they can deal with, but depending on what teams are left...it could really drive his price up.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure what you hear or read but rumblings they are after Gilmore or Lattimore. Then again, hard to ever believe rumors as seems the deals that are made are ones no one knew about.
I have hard time believing they would give up a 1st for one of those guys + pay them big...I think process is still to build through draft and get a couple big steals in FA. The fact the cap is lower they can benefit teams with money and they can get some discounts...we will see. I do love Lattimore and his extension (if they did extend him) wouldn’t kick in till next year but a lot of guys to pay long-term still too

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, unless something has changed, they haven't listened to any offers.
what makes you think that? I mean, what do you think they do, cover their ears and scream "la, la, la, la, la" when someone talks trade with them?

I did see a story about them "reportedly" refusing to listen but in the article saying they wont listen, it mentions they listen....they don't respond. I mean, if KC sends a text and says we'll give you Mahomes for Watson and a 3rd rounder you really believe Veach does not get a reply?

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have hard time believing they would give up a 1st for one of those guys + pay them big...I think process is still to build through draft and get a couple big steals in FA. The fact the cap is lower they can benefit teams with money and they can get some discounts...we will see. I do love Lattimore and his extension (if they did extend him) wouldn’t kick in till next year but a lot of guys to pay long-term still too
I doubt you'd need to give up a first for either. Not sure Lattimore had the best year and Gilmore not exactly young, I don't think (too lazy to look).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on how long the Texans want to play hard ball. I expect there will come a point for all teams where they will decide that they've waited long enough and will grab the best available franchise QB so that they can start working with him and getting him up to speed on scheme, the playbook, working out with his receivers, etc.

As for when that is...I'd expect that would be different for each team based on how long they feel they can wait and what they think of the QB's that are available.

Maybe their intent is to wait until all of the available franchise level QB's are gone? It would limit the number of teams teams they can deal with, but depending on what teams are left...it could really drive his price up.
Maybe, but seems like some are acting like the draft is right around the corner and it's still close to 2 months away.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what makes you think that? I mean, what do you think they do, cover their ears and scream "la, la, la, la, la" when someone talks trade with them?

Them saying they aren't trading him for one. And while covering their ears and screaming "la, la, la, la" would be more entertaining. I'm sure a simple "Not interested" would be more professional.
I did see a story about them "reportedly" refusing to listen but in the article saying they wont listen, it mentions they listen....they don't respond.

It may well be that publicly, they aren't listening while privately they are. But the only thing we know for certain is that they say they aren't trading him and aren't listening to offers.

I mean, if KC sends a text and says we'll give you Mahomes for Watson and a 3rd rounder you really believe Veach does not get a reply?

C'mon, I'll bet if you really applied yourself, you could come up with an even more far fetched and dumber hypothetical.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but seems like some are acting like the draft is right around the corner and it's still close to 2 months away.

Not really. Everyone is pretty much trying to figure out why they're insisting on prolonging the inevitable and pointing out that the longer it drags on, the lower the offers are likely to become.

Maybe they're playing 3D chess and everyone else is playing checkers, but generally speaking, when an unhappy player want outs, it becomes public and the player is refusing to show up...the offers tend to get worse, not better.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Everyone is pretty much trying to figure out why they're insisting on prolonging the inevitable and pointing out that the longer it drags on, the lower the offers are likely to become.

Maybe they're playing 3D chess and everyone else is playing checkers, but generally speaking, when an unhappy player want outs, it becomes public and the player is refusing to show up...the offers tend to get worse, not better.
fabulous....but he's not required to show up anywhere for a few more months. So there's that.

and if more than 1 team want him, offers get better. Not worse.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A 25 year old top 5 qb in the league isn't your normal trade bait fare