• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB trade deadline 2012

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were "deep in talks" for Ichiro, and he "liked the idea of playing for the Giants":

New York Notes: Headley, Mets, League, Yankees: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

• Before the Mariners traded Ichiro to the Yankees, they were deep in talks with the Giants and White Sox, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com (via Twitter).
  • The outfielder liked the idea of playing for the Giants, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle adds (via Twitter).

It sure would have been interesting to see a highly motivated Ichiro as our RF, leading off.

I'm sure the price was high, which means we are probably competitive for other corner OF's, if they move at all.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were "deep in talks" for Ichiro, and he "liked the idea of playing for the Giants":

New York Notes: Headley, Mets, League, Yankees: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

• Before the Mariners traded Ichiro to the Yankees, they were deep in talks with the Giants and White Sox, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com (via Twitter).
  • The outfielder liked the idea of playing for the Giants, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle adds (via Twitter).

It sure would have been interesting to see a highly motivated Ichiro as our RF, leading off.

I'm sure the price was high, which means we are probably competitive for other corner OF's, if they move at all.

Yankees gave up 2 relievers who weren't in their top 25 among prospects. Think we could've gotten Ichiro+League, but thats probably where the talks stalled up.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eckstein, Spezio, Hairston.

Same shit, different toilet.

images

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eckstein, Spezio, Hairston.

Same shit, different toilet.

Don't forget Mark Portugal and Woody before they became Giants. I thought the Giants would win at least 2 extra games a year just by not having to face Portugal. Woody had some gems for the Expos against SF, too. I remember him beating them in his major league debut, if I recall correctly.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There appears to be a LOT of talk about Brandon League. What would he cost?

He is 9 for 15 is save situations this year, so he is NOT the answer to the KSeeYa problem. He is also owed about 1.7M for the remainder of '12 and we would get no compensation for him if he walked.

I can not see him costing more than a B(max) prospect. Someone like JC Perez (who has quietly put together a nice season in Richmond), Nate (this would be an over-pay), Adrianza (IF Seattle eats a portion of the $$)...

Thoughts?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still holding out hope for a deal with Cleveland for Choo and Perez. It would be expensive (think 2 of our big-boys; ToJo and Crick with Nate thrown in?), but would kill two birds with one trade.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am still holding out hope for a deal with Cleveland for Choo and Perez. It would be expensive (think 2 of our big-boys; ToJo and Crick with Nate thrown in?), but would kill two birds with one trade.

I think it would take more than that. I'm thinking the Indians would want Belt as a part of that trade, i.e. major leaguer with less than three years of service time.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would take more than that. I'm thinking the Indians would want Belt as a part of that trade, i.e. major leaguer with less than three years of service time.

Is Belt still 'more'?

Sure he could go to a more hittery park and get his confidence and swing back...but is he capable of doing it with us?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There appears to be a LOT of talk about Brandon League. What would he cost?

He is 9 for 15 is save situations this year, so he is NOT the answer to the KSeeYa problem. He is also owed about 1.7M for the remainder of '12 and we would get no compensation for him if he walked.

I can not see him costing more than a B(max) prospect. Someone like JC Perez (who has quietly put together a nice season in Richmond), Nate (this would be an over-pay), Adrianza (IF Seattle eats a portion of the $$)...

Thoughts?

I like pitchers who throw 95mph, but he seems to be just another bullpen arm. Though, I'd give them Nate, who needs a fresh start, if the Giants are adding Pence/Choo/Victorino.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this idea best. Pence would likely cost one of the big boys, too, so why not go for two better cost-controlled options that suit the park, and like you alluded to, fill the two biggest holes currently on the roster?

To answer your other recent post, I think you're spot on with the market, and League would be a RamRam replacement (like you said, not the answer to the Casilla issues - that is Perez). Romo needs some support. If the Giants can end up with Perez, Choo, League and Scutaro after giving up ToJo, Hembree, Culberson, Nate and JC Perez that would be a big win.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This would be best case scenario, imo

Choo is a doubles machine. He would cost a lot in terms of prospects and being a Boras client would cost the Giants down the road but is the 5 tool player that would fit AT&T. He is left handed though and the Giants need RH power.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is Belt still 'more'?

Sure he could go to a more hittery park and get his confidence and swing back...but is he capable of doing it with us?

Belt's not damaged goods yet. Sure he's struggled, but his OPS+ is still 106 - that's fourth best on the team. The only reason I mention Belt, is because the Indians wanted a major leaguer with less than three years service time as part of a Choo trade. And who on the Giants roster fits that description? Hector Sanchez is the only other player I can think of, but I don't know the catching situation in Cleveland.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this idea best. Pence would likely cost one of the big boys, too, so why not go for two better cost-controlled options that suit the park, and like you alluded to, fill the two biggest holes currently on the roster?

To answer your other recent post, I think you're spot on with the market, and League would be a RamRam replacement (like you said, not the answer to the Casilla issues - that is Perez). Romo needs some support. If the Giants can end up with Perez, Choo, League and Scutaro after giving up ToJo, Hembree, Culberson, Nate and JC Perez that would be a big win.

I tend to agree with GP that it would cost more for Choo+Perez. Also, right now, I think Hembree is un-tradable. Until he gets back on the bump, a "strained tendon" screams TJ. ManBur has more trade value than Hembree at this moment.

I think ToJo/Crick/Belt/Nate is a STRONG offer for Choo/Perez, and I think that BOTH FOs would have to seriously think about it.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This would be best case scenario, imo

Choo is a doubles machine. He would cost a lot in terms of prospects and being a Boras client would cost the Giants down the road but is the 5 tool player that would fit AT&T. He is left handed though and the Giants need RH power.

Might as well go all in and get Pence too.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I tend to agree with GP that it would cost more for Choo+Perez. Also, right now, I think Hembree is un-tradable. Until he gets back on the bump, a "strained tendon" screams TJ. ManBur has more trade value than Hembree at this moment.

I think ToJo/Crick/Belt/Nate is a STRONG offer for Choo/Perez, and I think that BOTH FOs would have to seriously think about it.

I think Cleveland would do that - I might even throw in kontos..

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cleveland would do that - I might even throw in kontos..

I am not sure it is not TOO much, but throwing in a nice potential arm under team control for 5 years as a throw in?

yikes

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well go all in and get Pence too.

So let's go with the assumption that we do ToJo/Crick/Belt/Nate for Shoo/Perez. Who do we have left to go after Pence?

Brown/Adrianza for Pence? No thanks. I like Brown EVEN MORE after his HUGE turn around in AA. He is near-untouchable, in my mind.

Blackburn/Adrianza? Sure. I like Blackburn, but he is SUPER young and anything could happen. Would Philly take that deal? Unlikely. Blackburn is too young and does not have the pedigree to be the center of a serious package.

Edit: After re-reading your post in a different eye, I wonder if you meant Pence INSTEAD of Shoo/Perez. I like the Shoo/Perez combo better than Pence, so MY "all-in" play is with Cleveland, not Philly...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So let's go with the assumption that we do ToJo/Crick/Belt/Nate for Shoo/Perez. Who do we have left to go after Pence?

Brown/Adrianza for Pence? No thanks. I like Brown EVEN MORE after his HUGE turn around in AA. He is near-untouchable, in my mind.

Blackburn/Adrianza? Sure. I like Blackburn, but he is SUPER young and anything could happen. Would Philly take that deal? Unlikely. Blackburn is too young and does not have the pedigree to be the center of a serious package.

Edit: After re-reading your post in a different eye, I wonder if you meant Pence INSTEAD of Shoo/Perez. I like the Shoo/Perez combo better than Pence, so MY "all-in" play is with Cleveland, not Philly...

I meant Pence and Choo w/Perez. Although the Pence comment was done with tongue in cheek. But, thinking about it, that does take care of 2013 as well as this year.

BTW, I'm still not that high on Brown. I love that he made some adjustments and is now destroying AA, but I think he'll still struggle with the inside fastball when he reaches the majors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's what it takes to get the deal done.

Your point about Choo being a lefty has been eating at me as well...

I am not sure that emptying our farm for a year+ of a STUD that does not PERFECTLY fill a major hole for us is completely wise...

On top of this, I have not heard about the Giants being in talks with Cleveland at all for over a week or so now...