• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB trade deadline 2012

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL. Yep. Although, I hope that's just Sabean playing it close to vest.

Me too. There is no Burrell with 18 HR, Uribe with 24, huff with 23, Lights out Wilson, and Good Timmy. This is not the 2010 team that could afford to stand pat at the deadline.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. There is no Burrell with 18 HR, Uribe with 24, huff with 23, Lights out Wilson, and Good Timmy. This is not the 2010 team that could afford to stand pat at the deadline.

I'm going to restrain myself here despite your anti-Semetic comment.

2 years ago the "standing pat" Giants acquired ManRam and LOOGY at the deadline.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

2 years ago the "standing pat" Giants acquired ManRam and LOOGY at the deadline.

Let me rephrase that, standing pat with the BIG BAT. You know, the one we want every year?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I, too, was taken aback by the anti-Semitic comment. Please accept my apologies from the rest of the board.

Moving forward, apparently the Twins have hinted that Willingham is available. Would Nate + a top 5 prospect or two do the trick? He has a favorable contract - $7million/year for 2012-2014.

Great bat (RHH - better for our park), not so good glove.

Josh Willingham Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, too, was taken aback by the anti-Semitic comment. Please accept my apologies from the rest of the board.

Moving forward, apparently the Twins have hinted that Willingham is available. Would Nate + a top 5 prospect or two do the trick? He has a favorable contract - $7million/year for 2012-2014.

Great bat (RHH - better for our park), not so good glove.

Josh Willingham Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Latest deadline dealings -- Marlins, Phillies, Dodgers and more - ESPN

OK, if this article is legit, then Willingham is likely not realistic:

"Josh Willingham -- so expensive, said one exec, "it made me laugh.""

So perhaps Hunter Pence should be the target:

"Then there's Pence. Other clubs say the Phillies continue to listen on Pence. But they're unlikely to move him unless they get multiple young, big league-ready players back who can fill potential holes at third base, the outfield and the bullpen who would enable them to contend next year and beyond. And good luck on that."

But that doesn't sound much better. And Pence's D is little better, if any, than Willingham's.

Hunter Pence Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Corey Hart? Down year offensively, same crappy D, but can play 1B as well as RF.

Corey Hart Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't we also get Jose Guillen and Cody Ross near the deadline in 2010?

Edit: Guillen acquired Aug 13; Ross Aug 21 (mostly to keep him from the Padres - how did THAT work out?)

Shoot - maybe we should get Cody Ross back?

Last edited by a moderator:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparently Sabes has asked about Scott Hairston as well.

"Several teams, including the Atlanta Braves and San Francisco Giants, have inquired about the availability of reserve outfielder Scott Hairston, according to a league official with knowledge of the discussions."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Sabes has asked about Scott Hairston as well.

"Several teams, including the Atlanta Braves and San Francisco Giants, have inquired about the availability of reserve outfielder Scott Hairston, according to a league official with knowledge of the discussions."

JH would definitely be an improvement, he's cheap ($1.1 mill, FA for 2013), and he's realistic. The wild-card for us perhaps is that he can also play 2B, but hasn't done so since 2004.

Scott Hairston Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

He kills LHPs (.958 OPS), but sucks against RHP (.642).

Platoon him with Nate in RF (.862 OPS against RHP)? He also gives us a potent PH against LHP.

I'm liking this move the more I look at it.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an ESPN Insider article with the headline "Giants Eye Pence".

MLB Rumors - MLB Trade Rumors, Free Agency Rumors and More - Rumor Central - ESPN

Anyone have the gist of what it says?

Here it is:

If the Philadelphia Phillies are willing to trade Hunter Pence, the San Francisco Giants are interested, tweets Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com.

Even after acquiring Marco Scutaro from the Colorado Rockies to help their infield, the Giants are looking to add a hitter or two, suggested both by common sense as well as skipper Bruce Bochy, who told ESPN Insider's Jim Bowden the same thing on SiriusXM Radio earlier this month.

Other hitters who could be of interest to the Giants include Denard Span, Shane Victorino, Bryan LaHair, Alfonso Soriano, B.J. Upton, Justin Morneau and perhaps even Chase Headley, who comes with what appears to be the highest price of them all.

Pence is under club control through 2013, but is pricey in terms of salary after earning more than $10 million this season, a fact that could deter some clubs.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JH would definitely be an improvement, he's cheap ($1.1 mill, FA for 2013), and he's realistic. The wild-card for us perhaps is that he can also play 2B, but hasn't done so since 2004.

Platoon him with Nate in RF (.862 OPS against RHP)? He also gives us a potent PH against LHP.

That's the kind of move that would really improve this team. A platoon of Hairston/Nate would be great. Blanco can be our speedster off the bench.

What would the price tag be if he's even for sale?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the kind of move that would really improve this team. A platoon of Hairston/Nate would be great. Blanco can be our speedster off the bench.

What would the price tag be if he's even for sale?

Probably similar to Scutaro, a ML ready prospect.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno. A Hairston on the Giants would be like matter and anti-matter colliding. Maybe the Mayans were right...

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN in Buyer Beware article:

Hunter Pence, RF, Philadelphia Phillies
When the Phillies traded for Pence a year ago, they were acquiring a player enjoying his best season and who was more than just a rental. Now Pence is expensive, as next year he's due for an arbitration raise from his 2012 salary of $10.4 million, and having his worst season. His .781 OPS is the worst of his career despite playing his home games in Citizens Bank Park, which is more hitter-friendly than Houston's Minute Maid Park. His outfield defense also has fallen off this season. He still has a good arm, which has saved four runs, third best among right fielders this season, but focusing on an outfielder's arm can mask a lot of range issues. According to our plus/minus range metrics, Pence's range has been 10 runs below average.

Alfonso Soriano, LF, Chicago Cubs
It's not an uncommon thought: Player X has had a strong first half of the season, repairing his trade value. Now Player X's team can get something back for him at the July deadline. Soriano fits this description perfectly. He's enjoying a mini-resurgence this season, hitting .274/.324/.503 (BA/OBP/SLG) and playing above-average defense in left field for the Cubs. He has three DRS more than what an average left fielder would provide, including five assists. If it's possible to play your way into some trade value, Soriano probably has done it. But this is still the same 36-year-old who is owed $36 million over the next two years and whose outfield defense was 37 runs below average from 2009 to 2011, including having the most defensive misplays (73) and the most errors (25) of all left fielders during that time frame. Only teams with the steeliest of nerves need apply.

Aramis Ramirez, 3B, Milwaukee Brewers
The 34-year-old could be seen a solid option in a third-base market with lots of buyers and few sellers, but inquiring teams would be wise to be wary. Ramirez is owed $30 million after this season and is in his decline years offensively; his .827 OPS this season is good, but a serious step down from the years when he was consistently above .900. He has long been one of the worst-fielding third basemen in the game and has cost his teams a combined 36 runs on defense since 2010. Only Houston's Chris Johnson has been a worse third baseman in that time frame.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. A Hairston on the Giants would be like matter and anti-matter colliding. Maybe the Mayans were right...

montgomeryscott.jpg

"We'd either get warp 15 or we'd blow ourselves to wee little bits..."

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As soon as I saw the link to Hairston, I thought this exact same thing.

So maybe we should be scouting for the sons of Kevin Elster or some other Giant killer from the past.

On the plus side, it would be on less Hairston to torment us. Unless he turns out to be like the rest of our incompetent hackers, which will just add MORE torment! Ah, the humanity!

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As soon as I saw the link to Hairston, I thought this exact same thing.

So maybe we should be scouting for the sons of Kevin Elster or some other Giant killer from the past.

On the plus side, it would be on less Hairston to torment us. Unless he turns out to be like the rest of our incompetent hackers, which will just add MORE torment! Ah, the humanity!

David Freaking Eckstein. Hate that guy.