• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB trade deadline 2012

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I guess. Scioscia is > Baker but again in a small sample of games you can't really tease out the effect of the manager vs the randomness of it all.

Can we be sure leaving Ortiz in in game 6 would have given us the W? No we can't.

Are you saying Bochy v Washington in '10 was not a HUGE advantage?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying Bochy v Washington in '10 was not a HUGE advantage?

It was a small advantage, around the same magnitude as Baker vs Scioscia

But not the decisive one. Switch the managers and SF still beats Texas, with their pitching. Or maybe not, still a small sample. If you 're-run' the series 100 times, the Giants maybe win 60 of those.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I hear that right?

Adrianza and Burris are the rumored players in a Bautista deal? Toronto would be INSANE to take that deal...

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the Indians are open to dealing Perez and Choo, who would be down with dealing Belt, Panik, and Hembree? Heck, personally, I would even throw in Pegs or Nate.

That's a lot to give, but you gotta give to get, and Perez has GREAT peripheral numbers. Choo would be like having and Asian Melky in RF - Strong arm, gap to gap hitter, and can go yard.

Just some food for trade thought

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Indians are open to dealing Perez and Choo, who would be down with dealing Belt, Panik, and Hembree? Heck, personally, I would even throw in Pegs or Nate.

That's a lot to give, but you gotta give to get, and Perez has GREAT peripheral numbers. Choo would be like having and Asian Melky in RF - Strong arm, gap to gap hitter, and can go yard.

Isn't Perez on the DL?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is almost the exact deal that I envisioned when I saw that they both are available. It would be nice if Hembree, Nate and Pegs got it done, but your Belt, Panik idea is probably closer to reality. No matter what, I think Hembree would have to be included. Nice plan.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would do Panik, Hembree, Belt and Pegs in a SECOND for Choo and Perez. Panik has dropped to a B/B+ prospect, Pegs is Neal++, Hembree is a potential stud, but has lost some luster, and Belt is a potential bust.

No way Cleveland makes that deal, though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I hear that right?

Adrianza and Burris are the rumored players in a Bautista deal? Toronto would be INSANE to take that deal...

Where'd you read that? That makes no sense from the Jays side...

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is almost the exact deal that I envisioned when I saw that they both are available. It would be nice if Hembree, Nate and Pegs got it done, but your Belt, Panik idea is probably closer to reality. No matter what, I think Hembree would have to be included. Nice plan.

Losing Hembree sucks, but it's not like we don't have other potential closers in the system. Bochy is putting up video game numbers down in AA, and his velocity is identical to Casillas' 93-95 depending on two/four seam. Look at his k/BB ratios, that's Romo territory, minus the brittle frame. He might be Street with a power FB!

At worst, I offer them Pegs and Hembree for Perez if we can't match up on Choo without keeping the untouchable 4 out of discussion.

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It was a small advantage, around the same magnitude as Baker vs Scioscia

But not the decisive one. Switch the managers and SF still beats Texas, with their pitching. Or maybe not, still a small sample. If you 're-run' the series 100 times, the Giants maybe win 60 of those.

I disagree...Bochy not only bent Washington over and had his way with him...but then turned him around and smeared his glasses with it...

Hmm...that was a little graphic...

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I guess. Scioscia is > Baker but again in a small sample of games you can't really tease out the effect of the manager vs the randomness of it all.

Can we be sure leaving Ortiz in in game 6 would have given us the W? No we can't.

Hmmm. effect of the manager. Such as NOT pinch hitting for your pitcher in the 5th WITH THE BASES FUCKING LOADED because "you had to preserve the pen" in a post-season series fucking elimination game? And then taking out that same pitcher with only one out in the next half inning? (Obviously, I'm not talking about 2002.)

I wasn't talking about that particular post-season, just the fact that Baker couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag, that he is a horrible game-day manager, and a fucking baseball moron. I spent 7 years or so SCREAMING at the TV because of his moronic moves. (The first 2-3 years I gave him the benefit of the doubt, especially after his first year.) Yes, he apparently motivates his team - no, he can't manage worth shit. As the Cubs' and Reds' fans have learned.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hmmm. effect of the manager. Such as NOT pinch hitting for your pitcher in the 5th WITH THE BASES FUCKING LOADED because "you had to preserve the pen" in a post-season series fucking elimination game? And then taking out that same pitcher with only one out in the next half inning? (Obviously, I'm not talking about 2002.)

I wasn't talking about that particular post-season, just the fact that Baker couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag, that he is a horrible game-day manager, and a fucking baseball moron. I spent 7 years or so SCREAMING at the TV because of his moronic moves. (The first 2-3 years I gave him the benefit of the doubt, especially after his first year.) Yes, he apparently motivates his team - no, he can't manage worth shit. As the Cubs' and Reds' fans have learned.

Imagine being a Cubs fan and seeing him ruin two once in a generation arms at once....

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I definitely hear ya, he sucks at the x's and o's, very Ozzie Guillen like.

But the dude took 3 different teams to the playoffs, one of the few to do that. Stays a long time each stop. So the question becomes, is managing kind of meaningless, where a shitty one can ride high on 3 different groups of talent, because he's kind of irrelevant? Or is he possibly kind of good at whatever managing is (motivation, tactics, whatever combo)?

I lean more toward the manager doesn't make that much difference.