• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB trade deadline 2012

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Belt+Hembree+Brown would get it (put Hanley at 3rd, Pablo at 1st), but I don't think I would if I'd do it. If we got the Hanley who finished 2nd in MVP voting 3 years ago, then hell yeah, but I think those days are over.

Tough call. But there are some pieces on that team that could be nice to have.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Sabean is inquiring about Aramis Ramirez. He only has two years left on his contract (after this season), and would allow us to move Pablo to 1st base.

Edit: After doing some research...Ramirez is making only $6 million this year, but if I'm reading the information right, his contract is backloaded. He is due another $30 million over the next two years. Yikes.

Still, imagine this lineup down the stretch:

Blanco
Melk
Posey
Ramirez
Pablo
Pagan
Rye Ontario
Craw

I thought the same thing, he'd be a good fit if his contract wasn't so bad. He'll probably be playing at about a quarter of the $16 million he'll make in 2 years.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Fish are in full on sell mode, they are rumored to be shopping HanRam. What would you give up (if anything) to get him?

Nothing. He has declined considerably, and he is owed a huge amount of money over the next two seasons. Fuck him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many 3rd/1st options. I still think Mark Reynolds/Wilson Betmit would be a good fit. They would come very, very cheap too.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing, he'd be a good fit if his contract wasn't so bad. He'll probably be playing at about a quarter of the $16 million he'll make in 2 years.

Seems to me The Giants can:

1) Trade for a guy like Aramis Ramirez and take a significant hit financially. (fitting Melk into next year's budget would be even more difficult...but man, Aramis would really change the look/likely production of our lineup)

2) Trade a lot of solid prospects away for a Chris Perez-type player (Chase Headly?!).

3) Trade below average/average prospects for a Ross/Pat The Bat-type hitter and/or a Ramon Ramirez-type arm.

I think most of us see #3 as the most likely move(s).

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing. He has declined considerably, and he is owed a huge amount of money over the next two seasons. Fuck him.

+1.

What the hell happened to this guy? He went from being one of the best shortstops in recent memory to being a third baseman whose stats are worse than the Wilson Betimets of the world.

(Cough) "Supplements" (Cough)

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Espn Rumor Central:

The San Francisco Giants, who are not entirely comfortable with Santiago Casilla as the replacement for Brian Wilson, are keeping their eye on Indians closer Chris Perez, reports FoxSports.com.

The report says the Indians could consider moving Perez since they are deep in relievers and because Perez likely will earn about $7 million next season in his second year of arbitration.

Another closer who could be on the market is Heath Bell now that the Marlins are in sell-off mode, says Ken Rosenthal. The Giants couldn't be blamed for trying to acquire Bell at a very deep discount and hope that a change of scenery does wonders for a pitcher who had three 40-save seasons before a disastrous 2012.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since the Fish are in full on sell mode, they are rumored to be shopping HanRam. What would you give up (if anything) to get him? I'm thinking Belt would be in the package.

Second, might Randy Choate be available? Could we use another lefty killer?

Discuss...

That one bolded word makes the entire question a loaded question. Personally I would give up Huff, Crawford and Nate. But that's just because I am not a fan of any of those 3 players. Miami would not make that deal.

As much as I think Hanley Ramirez is a huge upgrade over Crawford, I don't see how the Giants could take on his salary without shedding some first. Since I highly doubt that the Fish want Huff or Zito, I just don't see the Giants' owners allowing Sabean to increase payroll above $140 mil.

For those who say Ramirez has fallen off and isn't a good player any longer, I honestly think he's unhappy playing 3rd base and taking a back seat to Jose Reyes in Miami. Move him back to short and push him atop the Giants' lineup and I believe you'd see a different player than what has been shown thus far in 2012.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Espn Rumor Central:

The San Francisco Giants, who are not entirely comfortable with Santiago Casilla as the replacement for Brian Wilson, are keeping their eye on Indians closer Chris Perez, reports FoxSports.com.

The report says the Indians could consider moving Perez since they are deep in relievers and because Perez likely will earn about $7 million next season in his second year of arbitration.

Another closer who could be on the market is Heath Bell now that the Marlins are in sell-off mode, says Ken Rosenthal. The Giants couldn't be blamed for trying to acquire Bell at a very deep discount and hope that a change of scenery does wonders for a pitcher who had three 40-save seasons before a disastrous 2012.

I would not want Heath Bell on the Giants even if Miami agreed to pay all of his remaining contract. That guy sucks. Santiago Casilla has given us all fits over the past few weeks and I would still run him out there 5 days in a row before I'd allow a refreshed and rested Bell to pitch the 6th inning of a blow-out for the Giants.

If Miami agreed to pay all of Bell's salary, agreed to pay the rest of Freddie Sanchez's salary, took Huff in trade and swapped Zito for Josh Johnson, I'd let Bell wear a Giants uni. But nothing less than that would be acceptable.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My research shows HanRam making 15/15.5/16 2012-2014. Maybe the $6MM figure comes from what he's owed for the rest of this year?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My research shows HanRam making 15/15.5/16 2012-2014. Maybe the $6MM figure comes from what he's owed for the rest of this year?

He was referring to Aramis Ramirez...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one bolded word makes the entire question a loaded question. Personally I would give up Huff, Crawford and Nate. But that's just because I am not a fan of any of those 3 players. Miami would not make that deal.

As much as I think Hanley Ramirez is a huge upgrade over Crawford, I don't see how the Giants could take on his salary without shedding some first. Since I highly doubt that the Fish want Huff or Zito, I just don't see the Giants' owners allowing Sabean to increase payroll above $140 mil.

For those who say Ramirez has fallen off and isn't a good player any longer, I honestly think he's unhappy playing 3rd base and taking a back seat to Jose Reyes in Miami. Move him back to short and push him atop the Giants' lineup and I believe you'd see a different player than what has been shown thus far in 2012.

I would not want Heath Bell on the Giants even if Miami agreed to pay all of his remaining contract. That guy sucks. Santiago Casilla has given us all fits over the past few weeks and I would still run him out there 5 days in a row before I'd allow a refreshed and rested Bell to pitch the 6th inning of a blow-out for the Giants.

If Miami agreed to pay all of Bell's salary, agreed to pay the rest of Freddie Sanchez's salary, took Huff in trade and swapped Zito for Josh Johnson, I'd let Bell wear a Giants uni. But nothing less than that would be acceptable.

Fully agreed on both. Pity to only rep one.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the time of the year that teams make moves that get them INTO the playoff or try and get them THROUGH the playoff. The NYY moves are almost always the latter. Still, nothing is ever a given. IMHO I think we could make it into the playoffs with our current roster. It would be torture no doubt but I think we would make it. I'm just not sure we have the offense to take us through the playoffs. Our pitching is good but how many games can we win 2-1 and 3-2 against some of the more potent teams. For me this year has had quite a few surprises along with a few disappointments. In the end it all balances. Melky is better than advertised. Buster did return to form and I was worried. Pagan has slowed somewhat but he is still better than I expected. But, my biggest joy has been Theriot! Never expected it. Made me forget Sanchez. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Then there is the other side of the coin. Expected more from Belt, Nate and Huff. Would like more from Crawford but never expected much more than he's actually producing. Been a good year for Zeets and Tron. Balanced by Timmy. Guess we roll the dice and hope for one of those miracle late pick-ups. In 2010 we pulled a player named Cody Ross off of the trash pile and cashed that in for one hell of a profit!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the time of the year that teams make moves that get them INTO the playoff or try and get them THROUGH the playoff. The NYY moves are almost always the latter. Still, nothing is ever a given. IMHO I think we could make it into the playoffs with our current roster. It would be torture no doubt but I think we would make it. I'm just not sure we have the offense to take us through the playoffs. Our pitching is good but how many games can we win 2-1 and 3-2 against some of the more potent teams. For me this year has had quite a few surprises along with a few disappointments. In the end it all balances. Melky is better than advertised. Buster did return to form and I was worried. Pagan has slowed somewhat but he is still better than I expected. But, my biggest joy has been Theriot! Never expected it. Made me forget Sanchez. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Then there is the other side of the coin. Expected more from Belt, Nate and Huff. Would like more from Crawford but never expected much more than he's actually producing. Been a good year for Zeets and Tron. Balanced by Timmy. Guess we roll the dice and hope for one of those miracle late pick-ups. In 2010 we pulled a player named Cody Ross off of the trash pile and cashed that in for one hell of a profit!

Good post, but I'd counter part of it. I don't think there's a lot you can do once your team makes the playoffs to ensure success there. Getting there is what GMs and managers can affect. Once there what happens comes down to good pitching generally containing good hitting (we got that), and some lucky breaks (Brooks Conrad, Renteria, Cody Ross, etc).

We didn't pick up Cody that year thinking potential NLCS MVP. He was a useful piece. He went bananas in that Philly series. Can't predict or plan that.

You get as many good players as you can reasonably get, but once you are in there it's such a small sample it's almost random who wins. That's why I personally give major props to teams that get to the playoffs a lot but don't necessarily win a lot of titles, like the 90s Braves, or the Sabean era Giants. There's nothing Sabean could have done differently in 2002, we had the better team, but in a 7 game sample we didn't get the breaks.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post, but I'd counter part of it. I don't think there's a lot you can do once your team makes the playoffs to ensure success there. Getting there is what GMs and managers can affect. Once there what happens comes down to good pitching generally containing good hitting (we got that), and some lucky breaks (Brooks Conrad, Renteria, Cody Ross, etc).

We didn't pick up Cody that year thinking potential NLCS MVP. He was a useful piece. He went bananas in that Philly series. Can't predict or plan that.

You get as many good players as you can reasonably get, but once you are in there it's such a small sample it's almost random who wins. That's why I personally give major props to teams that get to the playoffs a lot but don't necessarily win a lot of titles, like the 90s Braves, or the Sabean era Giants. There's nothing Sabean could have done differently in 2002, we had the better team, but in a 7 game sample we didn't get the breaks.

Scott Spiezio was the Boss of that Series.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell, Sabean didn't pick up Ross even thinking "Let's get Ross" - the move was a pure blocking move to keep him from the Padres (as Sabean admitted in an interview that summer). The Giants claimed him and then offered *nothing* for him, expecting him to be pulled back off waivers. I don't think he ever expected the Marlins would simply give Ross away just for less than $1M of salary relief. But thank God they did!

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, we also had Douchety Baker, which subtracted a lot from the value of the team on the field.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, we also had Douchety Baker, which subtracted a lot from the value of the team on the field.

Yeah I guess. Scioscia is > Baker but again in a small sample of games you can't really tease out the effect of the manager vs the randomness of it all.

Can we be sure leaving Ortiz in in game 6 would have given us the W? No we can't.