• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Pettine: Russell Wilson is not a top tier QB

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Record plays into it obviously, but it's not the only thing. The team record of the Panthers is what is carrying Cam to the MVP title so far this year. If they lost a couple games I think he'd slip behind Brady and Palmer. But I also remember Cortez Kennedy winning DPOY on a 7-9 Seahawks team so voters don't always just look at record.
I agree with all of this and expect it to happen. The injury bug is catching up with Carolina.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you sure do have that NW condescension part down!
More or less guilty as charged. The PNW is an outdoorsman's paradise.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better pass protection? When did that happen? Russell is releasing the ball quicker. The DL does not have titme to get to him when he does that. He isn't looking for 2nd, 3rd or 4th options anymore. As far as we know, the pass protection has not improved at all. When he does still occasionally drop deep and hold the ball for more than three seconds, he is still running for his life.

Just get off the alpine trail for five minutes, fire up the laptop, and peruse one of about 300 articles written by local and national media over the last three weeks about how the line is playing better, picking up blitzers better, just protecting better? With quotes from Pete and Cable and Russ, and actual O-linemen.

So, no - as far as we know, the pass protection HAS improved.

If we couldn't trust our fundamentally flawed, too tired from reading all the stuff on the Hawks eyes in the first place.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm relaxed, and I'm not picking a fight with you. Just pointing out that you shouldn't be surprised about football talk on a football board, or in this case Russell Wilson debate in a thread about Russell Wilson.
The football talk is fine. That's why I'm here. But when I see some of my fellow Seahawks fans acting like the girly, crybaby Pat fans do, I feel that I need to point it out.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better pass protection? When did that happen? Russell is releasing the ball quicker. The DL does not have titme to get to him when he does that. He isn't looking for 2nd, 3rd or 4th options anymore. As far as we know, the pass protection has not improved at all. When he does still occasionally drop deep and hold the ball for more than three seconds, he is still running for his life.

There is absolutely no question that the OL has playing vastly better. PFF rated the OL as the best OL unit of the week last week. The coaches universally have stated that the OL has played demonstrably better since week 8. Just about every analyst that follows the Seahawks are saying the same thing.

This post is factually wrong on just about every level. 4 of Wilson's passing TDs came with him holding the ball for 3 or more seconds. And being completely unmolested.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More or less guilty as charged. The PNW is an outdoorsman's paradise.

I can introduce you to 'outdoorsmen' who are convinced of an international Jewish banking conspiracy and have a poor tattoo to teeth ratio.

So that's not necessarily saying a lot. :)

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The football talk is fine. That's why I'm here. But when I see some of my fellow Seahawks fans acting like the girly, crybaby Pat fans do, I feel that I need to point it out.

Don't let it get to you. People are free to have their opinions. That's what makes these boards fun. If everyone thought the same way this would just be an echo chamber.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let it get to you. People are free to have their opinions. That's what makes these boards fun. If everyone thought the same way this would just be an echo chamber.
Screw you Oiler man.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get off the alpine trail for five minutes, fire up the laptop, and peruse one of about 300 articles written by local and national media over the last three weeks about how the line is playing better, picking up blitzers better, just protecting better? With quotes from Pete and Cable and Russ, and actual O-linemen.

So, no - as far as we know, the pass protection HAS improved.

If we couldn't trust our fundamentally flawed, too tired from reading all the stuff on the Hawks eyes in the first place.
I'll agree that Bevell and Cable (probably way more Cable than Bevell) have discovered the best way to utilize the OL in the passing game. But, again, the reason why the OL is performing better is because only 20% of the passes, rather than the previous 80%, involve deep drops and Wilson going thorough his progressions. And, this philosophical change in the passing game, to make it more efficient, could have and should have been discovered much earlier in the season.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can introduce you to 'outdoorsmen' who are convinced of an international Jewish banking conspiracy and have a poor tattoo to teeth ratio.

So that's not necessarily saying a lot. :)
LOL. True. But, I don't get out to eastern Oregon and northern Idaho much. I by more sporting equipment at Cabela's and Bass, not from the back of a 83 Dodge pickup truck.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree that Bevell and Cable (probably way more Cable than Bevell) have discovered the best way to utilize the OL in the passing game. But, again, the reason why the OL is performing better is because only 20% of the passes, rather than the previous 80%, involve deep drops and Wilson going thorough his progressions. And, this philosophical change in the passing game, to make it more efficient, could have and should have been discovered much earlier in the season.

I suspect you've made up your mind here, and won't be moved off your position. The truth is, of course, in the middle. It's partly the O line playing better, and partly Wilson getting rid of the ball more quickly.

'Should?' Meh. Should's are usually useless.

I think you're engaging in some revisionist history on all this early season pocket throwing.

There's a LOT of trust happening now. Russ trusts his O line more, trusts his receivers to make their breaks (to throw in rhythm) and maybe most importantly, trusts his own ability to diagnose plays as they're happening and make the right decision.

One link in the chain, and that breaks down.

With all the new parts this season up front, that chain was going to take some time to forge.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the games, then report what you have seen.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seemed uncalled for. :suds:Especially since both our Alberta teams suck.
I hope you took it in the spirit in which it was intended, not seriously at all.

And hey, it looks like you might be getting the ship turned around a bit, and McDavid back in January?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. True. But, I don't get out to eastern Oregon and northern Idaho much. I by more sporting equipment at Cabela's and Bass, not from the back of a 83 Dodge pickup truck.

Heh, you're not helping yourself here at all. Let me guess, some kind of Volvo 4 wheel drive?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly you are offended. No reason to be. Russell Wilson is not elite. Period. He is good and at times he is very good, but he is not elite.

And my statement is accurate. Since returning from their bye week, Wilson and his offensive line have figured out how to make the passing game work and the rate of sacks has slowed dramatically. But during that time he has also not faced a dominant defense. He won't be tested by a dominate defense until week 19.

Would you be happier if I had said that week 19 will be when we see how good the offensive line really is? That would also be an accurate statement. However, great QBs learn how to succeed with handicaps. Russell hasn't done that this year. When he has been at his best, he has had a efficient OL and a dominant RB.
Clearly you are incorrect again. Sonny is pretty hip and doesn't seem to take any of this internet stuff too seriously. I saw nothing in his post indicating him being offended.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you took it in the spirit in which it was intended, not seriously at all.

And hey, it looks like you might be getting the ship turned around a bit, and McDavid back in January?

No worries, I knew what you were up to. As for the Oilers? You know, I have them listed as one of my teams under my avatar but I haven't really followed hockey since the last strike. I was a diehard Oiler fan growing up (in a house full of flames fans) but when I started watching the NFL in about 1997 it easily became my fave. Then those two hockey strikes left a sour taste with me too.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries, I knew what you were up to. As for the Oilers? You know, I have them listed as one of my teams under my avatar but I haven't really followed hockey since the last strike. I was a diehard Oiler fan growing up (in a house full of flames fans) but when I started watching the NFL in about 1997 it easily became my fave. Then those two hockey strikes left a sour taste with me too.

To be honest, I'm not much of a hockey fan either. Don't really follow the Raps much either. I've been actively boycotting the NBA since they screwed Seattle out of their franchise. Used to follow the Stamps very closely, as I edited a CFL TV show. But that went away about five years back, when the team decided to handle all their work in house. Don't think the Hoop has CFL logos though anyway.

Had to put something in those second and third slots though.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, you're not helping yourself here at all. Let me guess, some kind of Volvo 4 wheel drive?
Silverado 4x4. 8 foot bed. Extended cab. Very muddy. I don't Euro trash, whether it be automobiles, hockey players of basketball players.