• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Pettine: Russell Wilson is not a top tier QB

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish someone would put together a reel of all of the sacks Wilson has taken this year. I would be willing to bet real money that less than 15% would be on Wilson

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson often holds the ball way to long and is the main reason for so many of the sacks. just because a guy is elusive and can avoid pressure doesn't mean he isn't also the cause for many of the sacks. Marino sure wasn't elusive but he knew how to get rid of the ball...

Wilson doesn't get a pass for his play early in the season. No question he held the ball too long at times, more importantly, he left the pocket too early at times.

But there is also little question that the OL was downright horrible and made him gun shy. In particular, the Drew Nowak experiment was simply a terrible decision by Carroll/Bevell/Cable. The moment they benched him and put Patrick Lewis, who is hardly Mike Webster, the entire offense took off. And there is absolutely no question that the interior line being better has allowed Wilson to step into throws and throw with real zip.

For those of us who watch every game intently, we noticed that Wilson was really firing in passes into tight spots he wasn't earlier in the season.

Perhaps something changed with Wilson, but given that the turnaround happened precisely when Nowak got benched, I'm going to say that was probably the biggest change.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish someone would put together a reel of all of the sacks Wilson has taken this year. I would be willing to bet real money that less than 15% would be on Wilson
I'm certain your calculations would yield those results...

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. Who are taking over Wilson at this point? Brady, Rodgers, Ben.......Maybe Cam or Palmer? :noidea: It could be easily argued that Wilson is top 5 right now.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps something changed with Wilson, but given that the turnaround happened precisely when Nowak got benched, I'm going to say that was probably the biggest change.

I have a theory......

Temptation was too strong for him to continue his vow of celibacy...
He's definitely not playing as tight as he did earlier this season.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Pettine was taking some flak from his comments about Wilson so now he says Wilson is in the top tier of QBs.......along with everyone else. Yup, Pettine says its a 32 way tie for first. I guess he's just tired of trying to explain what he said, and of course he shouldn't have to explain it anyway. I just find it funny that Pettine is clearly exasperated enough to open his press conference today by addressing the Wilson comments first.

Mike Pettine updates his QB rankings: Russell Wilson is now No. 1

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. Who are taking over Wilson at this point? Brady, Rodgers, Ben.......Maybe Cam or Palmer? :noidea: It could be easily argued that Wilson is top 5 right now.

Purguy in a thread on the 9ers board is taking any somewhat promising young QB with a low salary. **if you were starting a team right now scenario**

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you Seahawks act like Pat fans with your insecurity, the way you get so easily offended and the thickness of your homer glasses.

Relax. This is the pacific northwest. We don't define our self worth by how well our sports teams perform. That is a Boston/New York thing. Grab your snowboard or go hike an alpine trail. Breath the clean air. Do that and you will get a more realistic perspective on the team and its players. Stop acting like your life begins and ends with how well the Seahawks play on Sunday.
Wow, a lecture from on high. Couldn't possibly be that some people simply have a different opinion than you, could it?

Seems to me that you're being pretty presumptuous, arrogant, and sensitive yourself. Here's an idea: why not simply manage your own participation rather than trying to manage that of all other Seahawk fans? Or not; I don't really care, because none of us would look to you for validation in any case.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better pass protection? When did that happen? Russell is releasing the ball quicker. The DL does not have titme to get to him when he does that. He isn't looking for 2nd, 3rd or 4th options anymore. As far as we know, the pass protection has not improved at all. When he does still occasionally drop deep and hold the ball for more than three seconds, he is still running for his life.
Whoops, thought we were talking about the Seattle Seahawks. You're clearly watching a different team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing about Russell is you'd think he'd be able to compensate for a bad O-line better than others. Instead, he took a ton of sacks, many that were his fault. So I'm not sure you can just blame 9 weeks of uninspiring QB play on everyone else.

Yeah, if he were only more elusive and could scramble better.... (honestly, could you come up with anything goofier than that??)

MVPalmer refers to the regular season MVP THIS YEAR. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Maybe this is the year 0ferplayoffscareerPalmer gets on the board. Time will tell.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you Seahawks act like Pat fans with your insecurity, the way you get so easily offended and the thickness of your homer glasses.

Relax. This is the pacific northwest. We don't define our self worth by how well our sports teams perform. That is a Boston/New York thing. Grab your snowboard or go hike an alpine trail. Breath the clean air. Do that and you will get a more realistic perspective on the team and its players. Stop acting like your life begins and ends with how well the Seahawks play on Sunday.

I'm sorry, but if you don't understand why it bothers people that preconceptions trump actual results, I don't know what to tell you. Everyone who has ever been doubted or underestimated should understand why impressions of Russell Wilson matter to people.

To be perfectly frank, I would not want to live in a world where I could outperform someone consistently for five straight years and still be told it's a fluke because someone looked at the other player and assumed he'd be better. There are very few things in life which make me more depressed than the people who insist Luck is better than Wilson. It's about more than football. It is about whether we are products of merit and challenging preconception or whether we are static, predestined lumps of cells.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his first 9 games this year, he threw more than 1 TD pass in a game ONCE. That's not an elite QB that can put a team on his back like MVPalmer has this entire year, Brady always does, Rodgers usually does, etc. His poor play hurt as they lost to AZ, CAR, CIN, STL, GB, and the Lions in that span. If you judge him by his first 9 games, he is easily in the bottom half of QBs in the NFL.

Past four games, he's probably the best.

Fully body of work...not an elite QB. To say he's been the "best performer" in the NFL this entire year is just laughable.

Do you not understand what an average is? An average isn't saying "let's take the best four games." It considers every pass in every game. So when Russell has better stats over the course of the year, by definition, that is the "full body of work."

I don't know if you are stupid or just stubborn, but either way, your argument is laughable.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but if you don't understand why it bothers people that preconceptions trump actual results, I don't know what to tell you. Everyone who has ever been doubted or underestimated should understand why impressions of Russell Wilson matter to people.

To be perfectly frank, I would not want to live in a world where I could outperform someone consistently for five straight years and still be told it's a fluke because someone looked at the other player and assumed he'd be better. There are very few things in life which make me more depressed than the people who insist Luck is better than Wilson. It's about more than football. It is about whether we are products of merit and challenging preconception or whether we are static, predestined lumps of cells.
Good post. Pretty deep for beer drinking football fans but good none the less.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where? Show everyone where a Seahawks fan is taking this as a slight, as opposed to making it up and pretending like any one of us said as such.

We all agree with Pettine, and can admit that this article was written in a way to drum up false drama.
How about we start with post #2? Stop being so sensitive. :mad2:
Also not ALL Hawk fans post here on the Hoop. I deal with many at work all day.
Now to be honest I am slightly impressed that most Hawk Hoop posters have taken the high road.
Put your big boy pants on, it's starting to get cold out.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not understand what an average is? An average isn't saying "let's take the best four games." It considers every pass in every game. So when Russell has better stats over the course of the year, by definition, that is the "full body of work."

I don't know if you are stupid or just stubborn, but either way, your argument is laughable.

You really don't get it. An average can be quite misleading. Since you don't grasp football, let's try baseball. Which power hitter would you rather have in a 4-week span (6 games per week)? Each has 20 HRs.

Player 1: 5-5-5-5.
Player 2: 0-1-0-19.

Week 4 was against mostly bad teams they would have won most of the games anyways. The choice should be easy.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a good article about Wilson and the OL a week or so ago. When the OL was really struggling, Wilson ALWAYS took responsibility and never threw them under the bus. Several of the linemen commented about how much they respected that and how it pushed them to improve.

That's the kinda story that talks about things fans often don't about.
Of course. He would never throw a guy under the bus. Not his way. That's one of his more admirable qualities.
Wow, a lecture from on high. Couldn't possibly be that some people simply have a different opinion than you, could it?

Seems to me that you're being pretty presumptuous, arrogant, and sensitive yourself. Here's an idea: why not simply manage your own participation rather than trying to manage that of all other Seahawk fans? Or not; I don't really care, because none of us would look to you for validation in any case.
change your tampon, cupcake

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we start with post #2? Stop being so sensitive. :mad2:
Also not ALL Hawk fans post here on the Hoop. I deal with many at work all day.
Now to be honest I am slightly impressed that most Hawk Hoop posters have taken the high road.
Put your big boy pants on, it's starting to get cold out.
I had to reread post #2. I'm not sure how you felt that way from his comment.:noidea: