• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Stafford a warrior.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw I'm all for Lenovo Laptops!! China and Taiwan seems to be increasing quality in developing hardware recently, granted IBM was a top notch corporation also..

I must be a good listener since you had to share that with me. Just wondering what that has to do with the price of beans in China.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be a good listener since you had to share that with me. Just wondering what that has to do with the price of beans in China.
Just wanted to mention that since I own one..

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of the play calling I'm fine with. The part I have an issue with is turning Calvin Johnson into Brandon Pettigrew (11 catches and 85 yards or whatever it was). I haven't seen the Lions take a shot downfield at all this year (though they may have in the SD game when I missed about a quarter worth of the game). Why pay Calvin a king's ransom and use him like they have?

Teams are going to do the exact same thing we've seen for the last couple years -- drop the safeties deep, keep everything in front of you and wait for the Lions to shoot themselves in the foot. With no TE that can block right now and an OL struggling to open holes -- no team has to respect our running game.

Never thought I would say this, but I sure wish Scott Linehan was back.

Mike the reason why CJ was paid a kings ransom is on the front office and at the time they were able to stretch the field. With less talented OL. The first two games anything between 15-25 yards might as well been considered a 9 route.
With the lack of being able block this scheme, no way those plays develop at this time. Also as much I want Stafford to be a success. On average Brady is rid of the ball around 2 seconds. Rodgers has the mobility that when the pocket collapses he escapes and creates something with his receivers. So to hear that It's all the OL, I will not agree with. Not when I see other teams have success facing the same amount of time and pressure. The one knock Matt does have from me is mid to poor scramble skills. However when I would scream about the gunslinger shit, he was scrambling and throwing off balance and side arm. Now suddenly that's not working this year.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I can't figure out is what games are some watching that see all these other teams sustain a pocket for over 3 seconds all game. The teams with success are the ones that can move the chains still after these breakdowns. Right now between OL QB and OC that isn't happening.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is a force. He went out with an injury for 1 play, and Jax scored a 47 yard TD. He's affects the whole field, whether PFF stats say so or not.
The Miami D hasn't looked great against 2 shitty teams. And I read Suh is going rogue over there....doesn't really care about the play call.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question:

What's an average % (that's funny) game wise for sacks+hurries+hits/attempts?

Staff was at 30% real late in the game. That doesn't seem out of this world high, to me. Maybe it is. Idk. That's why I asked, cuz Google isn't on tHoop so, I can't ask it.

It wasn't like staff never had time or was forced to scrambled even close to a majority of the time. He moved around in the pocket a few times, QBs do that, it's cool. But he's getting hit hard too much. And I'm thinking theres something to that, other than just the 5 guys in front of him not being "good".
Im not sure what the average is, but I know only 1 QB has gotten hit more this season. That aint good!

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true, because no way was Lucas' whiff blocks part of a plan.
Lucas was horrible but so was Reiff. And let me ask you all this. When an edge rusher comes free and the tackle turns inside....whose fault is it? Is it the players not knowing their assignment(I still don't understand how a guy with his hand down can go unblocked) or the coaches fault for not teaching them or calling the wrong blocking scheme. Its the chicken or the egg question.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Miami D hasn't looked great against 2 shitty teams. And I read Suh is going rogue over there....doesn't really care about the play call.

The Miami D is 5th in the league right now for points against. They're fine.

The Dolphins HC shot down those TMZ rumors btw.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas was horrible but so was Reiff. And let me ask you all this. When an edge rusher comes free and the tackle turns inside....whose fault is it?

Whoever set the protection. Sometimes that's the QB.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas was horrible but so was Reiff. And let me ask you all this. When an edge rusher comes free and the tackle turns inside....whose fault is it? Is it the players not knowing their assignment(I still don't understand how a guy with his hand down can go unblocked) or the coaches fault for not teaching them or calling the wrong blocking scheme. Its the chicken or the egg question.
I'm picturing the play your referencing right now.

Got a hard time accepting the idea RR was willing to leave a down lineman unblocked. But who else would he have thought had responsibility?

I guess maybe I'm overlooking Swanson changing things at the line.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think not h
You didn't call shit. Suh clearly wasn't the reason for our defense playing so well last year (he was a reason, but not the reason), as evidenced by how much Miami's defense is struggling. Everyone sees that, but you're too big of a coward to admit that you were dead wrong. But at least you haven't been a royal douche bag about it all offseason, so nobody here will fell the need to rub it in your face. Oh wait... never mind...
You guys gotta stop inter-changing play-calling and scheme. Two different things.

I think Lombardi's play-calling (which has taken a ton of heat) has been fine, but it's the o-line execution that is killing said plays. I think that's caused by a blocking scheme that is a poor fit for our personnel. We have a power-blocking group of linemen who are being forced to run a stretch scheme.

Here's where I'm at to avoid any future confusion:

Lombardi's play calling- I'm good with it so far this season
Lombardi's blocking scheme- I don't think it fits our personnel
Cornelius Lucas- Really bad at RT so far this season
Now I'm confused. First of all I see man on man pass pro and individuals getting flat out beat. That's player execution, but that being said...if you know your o-line can't pass pro and you are still calling slow developing 5 and 7 step drops then that is playcalling.
Secondly, when did we run stretch plays? I don't recall seeing many, or any for that matter. Looked like man on man to me inside the tackles getting blown up. No traps, no draws, no deception to the play calling, then just totally abandon the run. Lombardi sucks balls. Im sticking to that.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever set the protection. Sometimes that's the QB.
Ahh so it was Stafford who called the wrong scheme and then was too dumb to realize that he didn't tell Lucas to block Melvin Ingram. Now everything makes sense. Fucking Stafford that idiot.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm picturing the play your referencing right now.

Got a hard time accepting the idea RR was willing to leave a down lineman unblocked. But who else would he have thought had responsibility?

I guess maybe I'm overlooking Swanson changing things at the line.
The back would be picking up the end if that were the case.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh so it was Stafford who called the wrong scheme and then was too dumb to realize that he didn't tell Lucas to block Melvin Ingram. Now everything makes sense. Fucking Stafford that idiot.

No idea. He's responsible for changing up protections. Since we can't blame him, let's blame Lombardi.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The back would be picking up the end if that were the case.
That way we protect Stafford by having one of our h backs block a D-end...preferably Ameer, that way he gets injured.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea. He's responsible for changing up protections. Since we can't blame him, let's blame Lombardi.
Well, im a coach... and if my guys are doing fucked up shit...its my fault. In my opinion. I'm either not teaching them correctly, or I have the wrong guys in there. Plain and simple. I think its unlikely that Stafford is fucking up the protection...but that's just my opinion based on the fact that he's a veteran QB who had a weak line protecting him pretty decently in the past(enough where the soccer brits rated them one of the best o-lines). But that under Linehan's coaching and play calling that many complained threw too many quick passes to the backs(that I always defended as necessary).

All this being said, Warford will improve with more practice(I think he was just rusty), and Waddle should be an upgrade when he comes back. I'd like to see Manny move to RT for the time being and Laken start at guard. It cant be worse...can it?

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions offensive line ranked seventh in NFL by PFF

So when the Lions the 7th best oline in 2012, and the 4th best pass blocking unit...was it personel, coaching or Stafford? Lets look at personnel, Gosder rated the best at +26. Gosder has been cut how many times now? Peterhead had a negative rating that year. And of course Raolila and Backus were on that team and Rob Sims I think.
Here's my take on that personnel, those guys sucked balls. Linehan schemed to help those guys(100 quick passes to the backs).

And I don't think Staff just suddenly forgot what the fuck he was doing.

So that leaves..........

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions offensive line ranked seventh in NFL by PFF

So when the Lions the 7th best oline in 2012, and the 4th best pass blocking unit...was it personel, coaching or Stafford? Lets look at personnel, Gosder rated the best at +26. Gosder has been cut how many times now? Peterhead had a negative rating that year. And of course Raolila and Backus were on that team and Rob Sims I think.
Here's my take on that personnel, those guys sucked balls. Linehan schemed to help those guys(100 quick passes to the backs).

And I don't think Staff just suddenly forgot what the fuck he was doing.

So that leaves..........

PFF isn't a credible source. Remember , they once tried to tell us Ravioli was the best C in the league,

I grabbed my Miami data from the official NFL stat tracker.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That way we protect Stafford by having one of our h backs block a D-end...preferably Ameer, that way he gets injured.
Yeah, I'd kind of like him to catch passes and run the ball rather than block and return kicks too.