• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine. Then well start Colin Kaepernick, who's slated as our future QB anyways.

I don't see a huge downside.

most 2nd round qb's are nothing more than potential that teams and fans think can be developed into franchise qb's

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most 2nd round qb's are nothing more than potential that teams and fans think can be developed into franchise qb's

What's your point? He's still the likely starter in two or three years if Alex doesn't improve, which doesn't set us back if we sign Manning and he flames out.

If you get your head out of Smith's ass for 1 second you might understand this.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somthing to make you guysd laugh i know i did Die hard Giants Fan comment ....."if the 49ers get peyton manning, im never watching football again.... they would win too many superbowls" ha!

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I might if they don't even approach him. See what the guy is looking for. Does he want the money, or does he want another shot at the super bowl?

Fair enough, absolutely. But these guys are very thoughtful and deliberate......for instance, I wouldn't be surprised if they argued and settled this issue *last* offseason when it was apparent Indy was going another direction. They plan out years in advance when it comes to budgets and salaries and are most likely thinking WAY ahead. And they likely already understand the general parameters of the deal he's looking for......like Steve Young said, Peyton is one of the smartest and most responsible people around, whatever deal he's going to get has probably been in the works for a while, contacts were made a long time ago when the writing was just showing up on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fair enough, absolutely. But these guys are very thoughtful and deliberate......for instance, I wouldn't be surprised if they argued and settled this issue *last* offseason when it was apparent Indy was going another direction. They plan out years in advance when it comes to budgets and salaries and are most likely thinking WAY ahead. And they likely already understand the general parameters of the deal he's looking for......like Steve Young said, Peyton is one of the smartest and most responsible people around, whatever deal he's going to get has probably been in the works for a while, contacts were made a long time ago when the writing was just showing up on the wall.

Wait, what? Who anticipated the Colts ending up with the first pick and going with Luck a year ago at this time? There was every indication the Colts ould hold onto Manning. Then he had two (or three?) more surgeries and the Colts were in line to take Luck. But that didn't crystallize until 10 games into this season.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your point? He's still the likely starter in two or three years if Alex doesn't improve, which doesn't set us back if we sign Manning and he flames out.

If you get your head out of Smith's ass for 1 second you might understand this.

again with smith, this has nothing to do with smith.

manning carries huge risk. worst case scenerio one hit ends his career and kap turns into just another tony banks. we go through 2-3 years hoping he gets better then we waste our current top defense.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who anticipated the Colts ending up with the first pick and going with Luck a year ago at this time?

Not necessarily at *this* time, but it was foreseen well in advance. Heck, we had a thread about it fairly early....once people realized how little talent they had past Manning.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-49ers/44010-colts-could-get-andrew-luck.html

And I can only assume that the people in the front offices are considering various scenarios and possibilities long before we are. But no, can't say with any certainty.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not necessarily at *this* time, but it was foreseen well in advance. Heck, we had a thread about it fairly early....once people realized how little talent they had past Manning.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-49ers/44010-colts-could-get-andrew-luck.html

And I can only assume that the people in the front offices are considering various scenarios and possibilities long before we are. But no, can't say with any certainty.

Ok, fair enough. Wish I'd known about it sooner. I wouldn't have drafted Dallas Clark - and thought he was a total steal - in my fantasy league.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again with smith, this has nothing to do with smith.

manning carries huge risk. worst case scenerio one hit ends his career and kap turns into just another tony banks. we go through 2-3 years hoping he gets better then we waste our current top defense.

and same could happen to alex smith, what's your point? in all honestly, alex smith is wasting the current top defense now. averaging 1 td a game is not a good statistic for a team trying to win the super bowl. sure they got close because he was playing mistake free football but as many have pointed out, it's going to be hard for him to do that again. he just does not have the talent of operating an offense like manning does. this team could seriously be a dynasty with manning, alex smith? not a chance. come on we know this already

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
and same could happen to alex smith, what's your point? in all honestly, alex smith is wasting the current top defense now. averaging 1 td a game is not a good statistic for a team trying to win the super bowl. sure they got close because he was playing mistake free football but as many have pointed out, it's going to be hard for him to do that again. he just does not have the talent of operating an offense like manning does. this team could seriously be a dynasty with manning, alex smith? not a chance. come on we know this already

This is especially true considering we have trips to New Orleans, New England and Green Bay among other things.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe the Manning saga will be like Asomugha last year.

All these teams were trying to swoon Asomugha last year and in the 11th hour the Eagles swooped in on him and nabbed him.

So maybe Manning will visit Miami, Redskins, Seahawks, etc. and then we'll swoop in on him at the end. You never know.

I think the 49ers are saying they are not interested but they are just playing their cards tight, it would be totally foolish for them to really zero percent interested.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Alex Smith contract: What's the snag?

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the snag is the length of the deal, and with it the amount of guaranteed money. The 49ers are offering a shorter-term deal, believed to be three years. Smith's agent, Tom Condon, is pushing for a longer deal, believed to be five years.

The 49ers' trump card is the same one they use with all of their pending free agents: If you think you can get that same deal on the open market, by all means try to do so.

Smith must be crazy if he thinks one good year with one winning season earned him another 5 years. I don't want to rant about the how's or why's the 49ers never had a winning season with Smith until last season, because it doesn't matter. Simply put, one winning season out of so many losing seasons doesn't earn him 5 more years.

BUT, I'm glad he's crazy, because that gives me time to dream that Manning could be a 49er next season.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt Manning would sign for 10 million when some other team is going to offer him closer to 20.

Any way we go, and as "good" as Alex Smith played last year... we need better QB play. You can't get much better in terms of ints, but we need to move the chains and score TD's. The NFC is already loaded with talented QBs and there are some teams on the rise. In our own division. Seattle has a good young defense, and Arizona has a pretty good defense too.

I'm pretty confident we will get that this year from Alex Smith. I see the entire offseason, second year in the playbook, potential WR upgrades, and other players improving based upon knowledge and time with the coaches as being reasons why we'll see more moving of the chains and touchdowns this year. Plus, I think Alex will have a longer leash, more confidence, and knows he needs to take some more risks. With a contract and coach confidence, he'll be able to take some more.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith must be crazy if he thinks one good year with one winning season earned him another 5 years. I don't want to rant about the how's or why's the 49ers never had a winning season with Smith until last season, because it doesn't matter. Simply put, one winning season out of so many losing seasons doesn't earn him 5 more years.

BUT, I'm glad he's crazy, because that gives me time to dream that Manning could be a 49er next season.

Brilliant. Exactly how I feel

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't criticize if they don't sign him. I might if they don't even approach him. See what the guy is looking for. Does he want the money, or does he want another shot at the super bowl? If the latter, we're a great bet. If the former, another team will almost certainly get him.

So far, I don't see what there is to gain from talking about it to the media. It might not do as much harm as some people think re: Smith, but I can't see it being worthwhile. Talking to Manning's agent - that's different. Everytime we've heard about the Niners not being interested in Manning, it's mostly been reporters opining or pre-release (tampering).

As for putting an offer on the table, apparently it's too short for Alex, so therefore they didn't put anything prohibitive - as in one he would immediately sign before Manning became available. My point? I think people can be critical once a sufficient time has passed after the release, not before the release occurred. As far as I know, there haven't been any quotes post-release from Baalke or Harbaugh and I don't expect them to talk to the media.

Is there a rule against mentioning it discretely (i.e. away from other team's knowledge)? What I mean is, it wouldn't be good negotiation-wise re: Alex, but what stops them from inquiring Condone after a negotiation round (telephone)? The media isn't everywhere. I'm pretty sure Condone is going to be everywhere promoting Manning, not in SF working on Alex's deal. I suppose we'll have to call him, which gets publicized pretty quickly. Couldn't we say the call was about Alex? (Not hiding it from Condone, but the media rather - just hope Condone doesn't blab.)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Manning saga will be like Asomugha last year.

All these teams were trying to swoon Asomugha last year and in the 11th hour the Eagles swooped in on him and nabbed him.

So maybe Manning will visit Miami, Redskins, Seahawks, etc. and then we'll swoop in on him at the end. You never know.

I think the 49ers are saying they are not interested but they are just playing their cards tight, it would be totally foolish for them to really zero percent interested.

But what if Alex goes and signs the offered contract tomorrow? Do you still think that would be a possisibility?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He probably wants four so he's asking for five, but in response to your post, they are negotiating over what is anticipated in the future, not in the past. I don't think Alex is negotiating, like Peyton Manning would, on how his past was great. I think they'll be focusing on 2011 and an anticipated growth from everyone. Obviously if Alex's past had been great he'd could ask for even more, but I think the reasons why he's asking for more time isn't based on what he thinks he's been. These contracts are cuttable so it isn't that he thinks he has earned five years, it's that he thinks he's earned that chance by what he showed last year (with anticipated improvement), where if he fails prior, he's cut. BTW, when I say anticipated improvement, I'm talking about his projections, not yours, the Niners, or anyone else's.

If Manning and the Niners are interested, even a SB last year wouldn't have earned the right to turn Manning away.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever signs him better put a clause in his contract that he can't do anymore of those stupid Oreo doublestuff commercials.....

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Kawakami makes a decent case here for why the Niners probably really aren't pursuing Manning.

5 reasons the 49ers won’t focus on Peyton Manning (and probably vice-versa) | Talking Points

I'd add......is this a situation where its really so important to show interest, or put feelers out, if they don't have a huge interest in him? Its not like you're going to get him on the sly or cheap......there will be 4 or 5 teams that pursue him with all their energy and capspace. Sure its worth checking in on any player available, but the intense interest there will be in Manning makes half-hearted pursuits kind of pointless.

Five reasons the 49ers won't pursue Manning:
1. Harbaugh
2. Harbaugh
3. Harbaugh
4. Harbaugh
5. Harbaugh

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: Alex Smith contract: What's the snag?

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the snag is the length of the deal, and with it the amount of guaranteed money. The 49ers are offering a shorter-term deal, believed to be three years. Smith's agent, Tom Condon, is pushing for a longer deal, believed to be five years.

The 49ers' trump card is the same one they use with all of their pending free agents: If you think you can get that same deal on the open market, by all means try to do so.

I like that approach for the most part, but especially with Smith because he's not gonna get any good offers. I don't like it so much with Rogers though who will be much sought after. If Smith comes back, I'm fine with that, if not, we'll move on.