• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
100% agreed. It could be his ego, but maybe Harbaugh believes that Alex can improve from last year's play. I have my doubts, but I'll keep rooting for the Niners. If Manning goes to the Dolphins and leads them to the Super Bowl, then I'll be livid.

I wish Manning all the best. He genuinely seems like a nice guy. I will be pissed if Harbaugh's ego, which is the only explanation for them not being interested in Manning, causes them to lose out to the Cardinals or Seahawks.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agreed. It could be his ego, but maybe Harbaugh believes that Alex can improve from last year's play. I have my doubts, but I'll keep rooting for the Niners. If Manning goes to the Dolphins and leads them to the Super Bowl, then I'll be livid.

As will be Marino.....

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
why are you so convinced that Manning will try and take over the team? i havent heard one coach or player from the colts mention that he is that type of player/person. can you back your claims with facts?

Of course I can. Manning was the de-facto offensive coordinator on the Colts. Just watching the games you can see that he has the freedom to change any play at any time. Harbaugh likes to control every aspect of the offense, even talking into Smith's headset up to the very point where the transmitter is cut off.

No way Manning would put up with that. The whole offensive philosophy would have to change with Manning in there and Manning, not Harbaugh, would run it. That is what I mean about him "taking over the team". Without allowing Manning that freedom ou don't really get the true Peyton Manning.

Lastly, there is no other reasonable explanation that a team that is only a great QB away from being a Super Bowl favorite would not even entertain the idea of signing him. The fit and the timing are absolutely perfect. Its got to be Harbaugh who is shooting it down.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He is a control freak as you say but I think it is the ego that won't allow someone else to run the offense.

Wow...he's the head coach...coaches call the plays...Manning is one of how many true "signal callers"...open your F'ing you absolutely suffer from "Football Myopia"....

Address the rest...how many other teams have this same "ego" problem...and I'd really love to hear your explanation as to why this is all about Harbaugh's ego?

How much do want the 49ers to pay for him and how long?

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1st off please stop saying "his ego" thats just dumb this is a business and he is not the GM Trent calls the personnel shots not jim all he can give is a opinion. if he called the shots his tittle would be GM/coach and its not!

Make no mistake about it, if Harbaugh does not want a guy, the 49ers are not going to sign him. To think otherwise is foolish.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly.

If we sign Manning it can only go three ways:

1- He's the same elite QB and we not only become one of the best teams in the league, but the favorite to win the SB.

2- He's 60-70% of the old Manning, which means he's still a pretty good QB that we can groom Kaepernick behind.

3- He flames out, in which case we cut him or he retires and we start Kaepernick, who's supposed to be the future QB anyways.

If we don't sign Manning it:

1- Alex Smith emerges as a franchise QB and leads to multiple SBs. Highly unlikely.

2- We can the same 195 yard 1 TD per game Smith while we eek our way through wins hoping nobody makes a mistake.

3- Alex Smith regresses and we throw Kaepernick in anyways.

4- Peyton Manning might go to Seattle or Arizona to light us up for the next 3 or 4 years.

It's just ridiculous that we're not even inquiring.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco confirms that the 49ers have an "offer on the table" to free agent Alex Smith and are not interested in Peyton Manning.

This is just moronic. They're being idealistic and dumb. They think they have a good shot at winning a SB with Alex. That's stupid.

Yeah...that's just stupid...after coming what 3 points short of the big dance (lets not talk about you know who)...in a rookie NFL coach season...yeah...we have NO hope...good gravy Sickness, you channeling Cazic?

You remind me of Bill Paxton in "Aliens"...

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow...he's the head coach...coaches call the plays...Manning is one of how many true "signal callers"...open your F'ing you absolutely suffer from "Football Myopia"....

Address the rest...how many other teams have this same "ego" problem...and I'd really love to hear your explanation as to why this is all about Harbaugh's ego?
How much do want the 49ers to pay for him and how long?

See post #183.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah...that's just stupid...after coming what 3 points short of the big dance (lets not talk about you know who)...in a rookie NFL coach season...yeah...we have NO hope...good gravy Sickness, you channeling Cazic?

You remind me of Bill Paxton in "Aliens"...[/QUOTE]

Remember that joke Paxton told in that movie about the guy who goes to the doctor and is asked for stool, semen and urine sample? That was funny as hell.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
[/B]

Of course I can. Manning was the de-facto offensive coordinator on the Colts. Just watching the games you can see that he has the freedom to change any play at any time. Harbaugh likes to control every aspect of the offense, even talking into Smith's headset up to the very point where the transmitter is cut off.

No way Manning would put up with that. The whole offensive philosophy would have to change with Manning in there and Manning, not Harbaugh, would run it. That is what I mean about him "taking over the team". Without allowing Manning that freedom ou don't really get the true Peyton Manning.

Lastly, there is no other reasonable explanation that a team that is only a great QB away from being a Super Bowl favorite would not even entertain the idea of signing him. The fit and the timing are absolutely perfect. Its got to be Harbaugh who is shooting it down.

I don't agree with this. All indications are that he gave Luck quite a bit of leash at Stanford. In fact, from what I know of the situation, Luck had about as much control of that offense as any college QB does.

I think you're reading way too much into Harbaugh's relationship with Smith. Harbaugh did a lot of hand-holding with Smith because Smith needs a lot of hand-holding. Harbaugh could do the thinking for Smith so that Smith could relax and play the game.

If Manning did come in, I'm confident Harbaugh would be willing to hand over the reins. He might not do it to the extent of Dungy or Caldwell, but that's the other extreme. Now, Manning replaced Harbaugh, so it's possible there is some bad blood there from Harbaugh's perspective. But I don't think you're being fair in calling him a control freak given his current QB's history and limitations.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and same could happen to alex smith, what's your point? in all honestly, alex smith is wasting the current top defense now. averaging 1 td a game is not a good statistic for a team trying to win the super bowl. sure they got close because he was playing mistake free football but as many have pointed out, it's going to be hard for him to do that again. he just does not have the talent of operating an offense like manning does. this team could seriously be a dynasty with manning, alex smith? not a chance. come on we know this already

i'm sorry, how many neck procedures has smith had?

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly.

If we sign Manning it can only go three ways:

1- He's the same elite QB and we not only become one of the best teams in the league, but the favorite to win the SB.

2- He's 60-70% of the old Manning, which means he's still a pretty good QB that we can groom Kaepernick behind.

3- He flames out, in which case we cut him or he retires and we start Kaepernick, who's supposed to be the future QB anyways.

If we don't sign Manning it:

1- Alex Smith emerges as a franchise QB and leads to multiple SBs. Highly unlikely.

2- We can the same 195 yard 1 TD per game Smith while we eek our way through wins hoping nobody makes a mistake.

3- Alex Smith regresses and we throw Kaepernick in anyways.

4- Peyton Manning might go to Seattle or Arizona to light us up for the next 3 or 4 years.

It's just ridiculous that we're not even inquiring.

NO...not exactly his post is predicated on getting the right kind of contract that you "can get out of easy"...Manning lied his ass off and said under tears there is no other team he wants to be with...but damn the money got in the way and he obviously made NO attempt to restructure to a reasonable sum...He's crying, not about leaving IND but about the damn money he's gonna make with his next team and all his new endorsements for switching teams...just wait till his new commercials come out.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Make no mistake about it, if Harbaugh does not want a guy, the 49ers are not going to sign him. To think otherwise is foolish.

The same could be said of Baalke. It's tough to say which of them is the lead guy on this, or if they agree.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably wants four so he's asking for five, but in response to your post, they are negotiating over what is anticipated in the future, not in the past. I don't think Alex is negotiating, like Peyton Manning would, on how his past was great. I think they'll be focusing on 2011 and an anticipated growth from everyone. Obviously if Alex's past had been great he'd could ask for even more, but I think the reasons why he's asking for more time isn't based on what he thinks he's been. These contracts are cuttable so it isn't that he thinks he has earned five years, it's that he thinks he's earned that chance by what he showed last year (with anticipated improvement), where if he fails prior, he's cut. BTW, when I say anticipated improvement, I'm talking about his projections, not yours, the Niners, or anyone else's.

If Manning and the Niners are interested, even a SB last year wouldn't have earned the right to turn Manning away.

I agree, and I understand why players would rather have a 5 year deal instead of a 3 year deal. First, everyone likes a sense of job security. Secondly, a longer contract allows for a larger signing bonus and typically more guaranteed money. I get that stuff, and why players want it.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You remind me of Bill Paxton in "Aliens"...[/QUOTE]

Remember that joke Paxton told in that movie about the guy who goes to the doctor and is asked for stool, semen and urine sample? That was funny as hell.

Reminds you of yourself and your Navy career?

I was thinking more along the lines of "Game overman, I don't know if you
ve been keeping up on current events...those fucking things are gonna come in hear and kill us!"

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why wouldn't harbaugh want him? if smith doesn't sign what we're offering we need to look at other qb's. there's not really much out there.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess the one good thing is they say they put a price on everyone so if alex wants more we wont pay it right?

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't agree with this. All indications are that he gave Luck quite a bit of leash at Stanford. In fact, from what I know of the situation, Luck had about as much control of that offense as any college QB does.

I think you're reading way too much into Harbaugh's relationship with Smith. Harbaugh did a lot of hand-holding with Smith because Smith needs a lot of hand-holding. Harbaugh could do the thinking for Smith so that Smith could relax and play the game.

If Manning did come in, I'm confident Harbaugh would be willing to hand over the reins. He might not do it to the extent of Dungy or Caldwell, but that's the other extreme. Now, Manning replaced Harbaugh, so it's possible there is some bad blood there from Harbaugh's perspective. But I don't think you're being fair in calling him a control freak given his current QB's history and limitations.

There is merit to that argument. But can you come up with any other reasonable explanation where a team that is a solid QB away from being the Super Bowl favorite won't even entertain the idea of signing one of the greatest to ever play the game? Especially when the timing is perfect and it is the one area that kept them from being in the Super Bowl last year? An opportunity like this won't come again.