• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Super Bowl champion, Peyton Manning said goodbye to the Indianapolis Colts with a shaky voice and tear-filled eyes, then got ready to find a new place to play quarterback.

At a podium alongside owner Jim Irsay, who cut the injured star Wednesday rather than pay a whopping $28 million bonus due this week, Manning was by turns wistful, nostalgic -- he got choked up while praising the Colts' equipment managers -- and forward-looking."

Nobody loves their job more than I do. Nobody loves playing quarterback more than I do. I still want to play. But there is no other team I wanted to play for,"

Prove it...he wanted the Colts to fork out a total of $51 million to keep both Luck and himself, unless you think Manning is so damn good the Colts should've traded Luck? What should the Colts have done? Yeah...look at the bold part again...his BELOVED Colts were so important to him that he walked to find a bigger better deal.

You've said stupid things? YOU'VE REPLACED CAZIC! :second:

:pound:

I see that Manning could have restructured his deal to say for a year-to-three while Luck presented a media storm against him. Just like Smith could have decided to leave the Niners rather than restructuring his deal a few years ago in order to get few if any lowball offers elsewhere. Just like Smith could have gone somewhere to be the backup last year and sit behind the bench, perhaps for longer than a one year deal.

The common factor here? Doing what they did was the best option for them outside of and including money. I don't see the reason to do the alternative nor the reason to say it's all about the money. Manning will make less than 28 million this year either way, as if Manning had said he wanted to stay they would have cut him anyway.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the Colts made the right decision in letting Manning go. But to question Manning's sincerity about loving his time with the Colts when you have absolutely no basis for it is plain silly and the reason why that statement won you the prize for stupidest comment of the month.

I'm still waiting for my prize, but anyway...how is this ANY different than your claims about Harbaughs "ego". Your position is hypocritical.

Peyton Manning is all about money and to be fair most of these guys are...but if he REALLY wanted to be a Colt next season, then there was number and he did not like it. That surprises me, because if you love the game as much as he claims, and love the Colts as much as he claims, and have made enough money for 5 lifetimes to be a multi millionaire...then he could've offered a deal that would keep him a Colt unless they just flat out didn't want him and that is not the case.

I make a damn "sub-fraction" of what he does, yet I have a job that men would pay to, that they dream of as young men and even more when they grow up...perhaps I love my job more than he loves his...but if I felt like he says he does and had his money I'D HAVE FOUND A WAY...if Jim said sorry Peyton, either way can't keep you...fine that is different...

[edit] And personally I am a Manning fan...of the whole family, I know the church where is parents were married and I shop at the store his maternal grandparents own...I'm not saying its wrong, but I think he's being VERY loose with the truth or simply does not understand what loyalty and devotion really is...money doesn't drive the real thing at all...

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting for my prize, but anyway...how is this ANY different than your claims about Harbaughs "ego". Your position is hypocritical.

Peyton Manning is all about money and to be fair most of these guys are...but if he REALLY wanted to be a Colt next season, then there was number and he did not like it. That surprises me, because if you love the game as much as he claims, and love the Colts as much as he claims, and have made enough money for 5 lifetimes to be a multi millionaire...then he could've offered a deal that would keep him a Colt unless they just flat out didn't want him and that is not the case.

I make a damn "sub-fraction" of what he does, yet I have a job that men would pay to, that they dream of as young men and even more when they grow up...perhaps I love my job more than he loves his...but if I felt like he says he does and had his money I'D HAVE FOUND A WAY...if Jim said sorry Peyton, either way can't keep you...fine that is different...

[edit] And personally I am a Manning fan...of the whole family, I know the church where is parents were married and I shop at the store his maternal grandparents own...I'm not saying its wrong, but I think he's being VERY loose with the truth or simply does not understand what loyalty and devotion really is...money doesn't drive the real thing at all...

Honest question for you all. How long do you think Manning could keep Luck on the bench, all things considered, if money and health (beyond age) weren't an issue? The reason I ask is because I think the Colts could have found a financial way of doing it if Manning so wished and his health is looking better. And how much of this Luck factor affected Manning's decision (not the Colts - because that's obvious)? I imagine Manning's competitive but also practical so it's not a straight easy answer for me.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
air it out to who? crabtree and the chipmunks?

Sure. A guy who Smith wouldn't dream of throwing to is wide open to Peyton Manning. With Manning and no legitimate competition for balls, Crabtree puts up 1,200+ yards easy.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. A guy who Smith wouldn't dream of throwing to is wide open to Peyton Manning. With Manning and no legitimate competition for balls, Crabtree puts up 1,200+ yards easy.

Arguing that manning can make these wr'S better to some of these people is pointless

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ya...lol

no seperation = defenders get their hand on it

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1200+ yards EASY???...Unfortunately, I think Baalke & Harbaugh are planning to give Crabtree plenty of legitimate competition for balls so I doubt he would get anywhere near 1200 yards let alone 1200+ easy.

Arguing that manning can make these wr'S better to some of these people is pointless

Manning will not make Crabtree or any of our WR's better, however I would expect he would make them more productive. Or, less productive in Crabtree's case if Crabtree didn't improve his reliability - Manning likes WR's who he can catch the ball.

So, while Manning can hit tight windows Crabtree is rather weak at catching passes in tight windows. A few dropped passes, a couple tips for INT's and Crabtree would be lucky to reach 800 yards with Manning at the helm.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honest question for you all. How long do you think Manning could keep Luck on the bench, all things considered, if money and health (beyond age) weren't an issue? The reason I ask is because I think the Colts could have found a financial way of doing it if Manning so wished and his health is looking better. And how much of this Luck factor affected Manning's decision (not the Colts - because that's obvious)? I imagine Manning's competitive but also practical so it's not a straight easy answer for me.

I think Manning could have held his spot for 2-3 years. And I agree, if Manning wished it, he could've found a way the Colts too.

I don't think Luck influenced Peyton's decision...he know's he's one of the best to play the position and Luck has yet to strap on an NFL jock...Competitive is not even the word for him...he's OCD to a level few people perform in any profession...I know a thing or two about that.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

He's got to catch the ball first...he has a problem with that.

Peyton is a DAMN good QB, but he's not a magician or an alchemist...you cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and we have a lot of pigs in the WR pen.

He would absolutely find passes Smith would not make...last season...but he would also throw more INTs and with our WRs I'm not sold he would get more out of it when you sum everything up.

Crabtree really should be a setter for a volleyball team and Peyton would be ripping his face off on the sidelines if he pulled that crap with him.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Peyton's presser. All I can say is wow. What a guy. The integrity and passion are just off the charts. As long as it's not Seattle and Arizona, I'll be rooting as hard as I ever rooted for a non-49er to succeed. There's no doubt in my mind he can still play.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning made guys like Austin Colie and Blair White notable WRs. The notion that he wouldn't make much more talented guys like Crabtree and Morgan better is absolutely ludicrous.

I'm sick and tired of people throwing everybody else on offense under the bus to prop up Alex Smith. I've never seen such ridiculous and demented loyalty to a QB that has consistently underperformed. It's beyond lunacy at this point.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just saw Peyton's presser. All I can say is wow. What a guy. The integrity and passion are just off the charts. As long as it's not Seattle and Arizona, I'll be rooting as hard as I ever rooted for a non-49er to succeed. There's no doubt in my mind he can still play.

If you are talking about money, yes absolutely, integrity...uhhh that's relative with him and how he views devotion to the Colts, I really would like to know what his minimum was to stay on.

With his drive I think he's easily got 4 years in the tank if he stays healthy.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the unlikely event we do get manning and assuming it's a 10/yr deal. i'd be hoping we go after lloyd, wayne and royal. then trade up for konz using our 2nd rounder to get ahead of the texans

the numbers should work if manning and wayne take huge discounts. lloyd and royal should cost about what it would to bring in a bigger name wr

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking about money, yes absolutely, integrity...uhhh that's relative with him and how he views devotion to the Colts, I really would like to know what his minimum was to stay on.

With his drive I think he's easily got 4 years in the tank if he stays healthy.

Wasn't there a report that he'd take an all incentive contract? Obviously that was never substantiated, but still.

He would've stayed in Indy if they gave him a semi-decent contract and promised to trade the Andrew Luck pick to bring him more talent.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wasn't there a report that he'd take an all incentive contract? Obviously that was never substantiated, but still.

He would've stayed in Indy if they gave him a semi-decent contract and promised to trade the Andrew Luck pick to bring him more talent.

I doubt we'll ever hear what was on the table. As for staying in Indy...I think the comments speak to to his lack of integrity with regards to him wanting to stay.

I'm not sure what semi-decent means; with the money he's made and what he's accomplished, if I have that financial security - I'm "made" both professionally and personally - I will take the janitors salary to play a game I love with the team I am "bonded to"...can't expect Indy to give up the next Manning or Unitas... which will last more than 4 years that Manning MIGHT be able to give them.