• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So there are five unknown teams out of the 12. I got 6 teams in bold who could be possibilities. The Texans and Niners are both not supposed to be interested. Only other team I might see asking about him is Minnesota.

Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Bills, Patriots, Raiders, Chargers, Rams, Niners, Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Bucs, Texans, Jags, Titans

The Jags aren't interested? Raiders? You already mentioned the Vikes. I'd agree on the rest.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For the record, I do agree that it would make a ton of sense for us to be one of those teams, and I'm hoping it's true - that we're at least considering it. But all it takes is one or two surprising teams (TB, Philly, Cincy) and we're off the list.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm sick and tired of people throwing everybody else on offense under the bus to prop up Alex Smith. I've never seen such ridiculous and demented loyalty to a QB that has consistently underperformed. It's beyond lunacy at this point.

Yeah, this is rational. Guy had a good year last year. Unwillingness to give credit where its due is pretty pathetic.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You guys realize there's more to this than "who can throw the best passes", right? There are 100 factors, maybe 25 of them involve on-field considerations.

And past that, the whole imagery being painted where Manning is an infallible, golden ticket to the Super Bowl......his last season his QB rating was 91.9. Smith was 90.8 last year. Manning is 10 years older, and has lots of question marks. He has obviously been a better QB over the past decade, but don't let that determine SO much of your outlook.....he's an old man. Look at what Montana did in KC for perspective. I can go either way on this one, but all this stuff about Peyton being a God who will bestow wins is a bit of "hazy memories".

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of those 12 teams, sources tell ESPN that the Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and New York Jets have actually been in contact with Manning's representatives.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"3 years 26 mil is the offer smith has on the table
3 years 35 mil is as high as the niners will go for manning "

Wow, Smith turned down that? Thats a pretty fair deal.

3 years 35 is good for Manning too, right along the lines of the 2 year 24 million deal that the Vikings gave Favre. Pretty fair market deal for a 14 year vet.

Plus, it leaves the team plenty of room to bring in Wayne too.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, this is rational. Guy had a good year last year. Unwillingness to give credit where its due is pretty pathetic.

He does deserve some credit. But to hear Iguana tell it, everyone from the other offensive players to the coaching staff to the trainers was grossly incompetent, and only Smith was keeping the team afloat. That's not even close to accurate.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Smith turned down that? Thats a pretty fair deal.

3 years 35 is good for Manning too, right along the lines of the 2 year 24 million deal that the Vikings gave Favre. Pretty fair market deal for a 14 year vet.

Plus, it leaves the team plenty of room to bring in Wayne too.

No that is an estimate made up by a blogger.
5th: San Francisco 49ers (Odds of landing Manning: 8 percent)
The Niners currently have an enormous hole at quarterback, and while everyone expects them to eventually re-sign Alex Smith, what if a team like the Dolphins suddenly decided to outbid them for the once-embattled first overall pick? Or what if Jim Harbaugh and company decided that they wanted to go for a title in 2012 without having to build a conservative offense around hiding Smith's weaknesses? Unlike the Ravens, the Niners have the cap room to pursue Manning while retaining their key free agents on defense; it just might cost them some flexibility in re-signing key contributors like Michael Crabtree and NaVorro Bowman in future years. Is paying Peyton Manning $35 million over three years really that much worse than giving Alex Smith a three-year deal for $26 million? The Niners have denied all interest in Manning up to this point, though that may have something to do with the tampering penalties they accrued in 2008.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fantastic line from Bayareasportsguy:

"This isn’t celebrity football, or even fantasy football. It’s about a team where each chess piece has nearly equal value, and adding a King like Manning would change the game. While Manning’s talents are undeniable, Manning-less teams have won the Super Bowl in 13 of the past 14 years."

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You guys realize there's more to this than "who can throw the best passes", right? There are 100 factors, maybe 25 of them involve on-field considerations.

And past that, the whole imagery being painted where Manning is an infallible, golden ticket to the Super Bowl......his last season his QB rating was 91.9. Smith was 90.8 last year. Manning is 10 years older, and has lots of question marks. He has obviously been a better QB over the past decade, but don't let that determine SO much of your outlook.....he's an old man. Look at what Montana did in KC for perspective. I can go either way on this one, but all this stuff about Peyton being a God who will bestow wins is a bit of "hazy memories".

I'm not sure anyone believes that. This team was one or two plays from the super bowl with perhaps the biggest question marks on the team at the QB position. At worst, QB was second to WR, if we're counting OL as a unit rather than, say, RG. We don't need Peyton Manning the God. We need Peyton Manning the very good, very smart QB who can make tough throws and march his team down the field with regularity.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No that is an estimate made up by a blogger.
5th: San Francisco 49ers (Odds of landing Manning: 8 percent)
The Niners currently have an enormous hole at quarterback, and while everyone expects them to eventually re-sign Alex Smith, what if a team like the Dolphins suddenly decided to outbid them for the once-embattled first overall pick? Or what if Jim Harbaugh and company decided that they wanted to go for a title in 2012 without having to build a conservative offense around hiding Smith's weaknesses? Unlike the Ravens, the Niners have the cap room to pursue Manning while retaining their key free agents on defense; it just might cost them some flexibility in re-signing key contributors like Michael Crabtree and NaVorro Bowman in future years. Is paying Peyton Manning $35 million over three years really that much worse than giving Alex Smith a three-year deal for $26 million? The Niners have denied all interest in Manning up to this point, though that may have something to do with the tampering penalties they accrued in 2008.

Oh, freakin bloggers.:thumbsdown:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fantastic line from Bayareasportsguy:

"This isn’t celebrity football, or even fantasy football. It’s about a team where each chess piece has nearly equal value, and adding a King like Manning would change the game. While Manning’s talents are undeniable, Manning-less teams have won the Super Bowl in 13 of the past 14 years."

How many teams with Alex Smith at QB have won the super bowl in the last seven years? Hell, how many teams without a great QB have won it? In the last 14 years, I count five generously: Ravens in '01, Pats in '02, Bucs in '03, Steelers in '06, and Giants in '08. Given that three of those five have QBs who are now great, but weren't at the time, we're talking about two teams in that span with middle-of-the-road QBs (or worse, to be fair) winning the super bowl.

It's not just about Manning. I'd take Brady, Brees, or Rodgers without hesitation. Hell, I'd take any of them before Manning. Manning is the guy who's available. And if you want to be perennially competitive in the NFL, you'd damn well better have a "King."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree's numbers probably would go down with Manning at the helm.

Good to see you over here, btw. I've been waiting for an update on how much better Bradford was that Smith at the beginning of the season.

Your claim that Crabtree's #'s "probably would" go down with Manning at the helm is quite the stretch, IMO; but, I suppose you could be right.

I believe his numbers would likely go up, but with a healthy lineup of WR's & TE's I think he doesn't reach the "1200+ [yards] easy" you earlier claimed he would reach.

I also think, given the same lineup of healthy receivers combined with a lack of improvement on Crabtree's part it is not out of the realm of possibility that his numbers could go down as well.

I'm not sure what you mean with your "I've been waiting for an update..." comment. Perhaps we have talked before, but for the record, I think Bradford is a better QB than Smith, whether it is at the beginning, middle or the end of a season.

You seem to be a big fan of Crabtree's talent. Would I be incorrect to assume based on your claim that Crabtree would reach "1200+ yards easy" that 1500+ yards would be within reach?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many teams with Alex Smith at QB have won the super bowl in the last seven years? Hell, how many teams without a great QB have won it? In the last 14 years, I count five generously: Ravens in '01, Pats in '02, Bucs in '03, Steelers in '06, and Giants in '08. Given that three of those five have QBs who are now great, but weren't at the time, we're talking about two teams in that span with middle-of-the-road QBs (or worse, to be fair) winning the super bowl.

It's not just about Manning. I'd take Brady, Brees, or Rodgers without hesitation. Hell, I'd take any of them before Manning. Manning is the guy who's available. And if you want to be perennially competitive in the NFL, you'd damn well better have a "King."

And how many teams did Manning play for that had this defense? Peyton alone would have made it more than once in the last 14 with this D.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the player. If it's an established WR, no, the QB probably isn't making that guy "better" per se. He's making him more productive. If it's a young receiver, though, I think a guy like Manning absolutely makes him a better QB. Manning is a teacher. If Garcon had gone to most other teams, I think he's an afterthought. On the Colts, he blossoms in his first two seasons, and then builds on that even without Manning. I absolutely believe Manning had a big hand in his development, if only because guys will feel compelled to rise to Manning's level of commitment.

Now, that's not to knock Smith's commitment at all. But Peyton Manning commands a hell of a lot more respect.

I'm not sure Garcon serves as a good example of supporting evidence, especially based on the absence of any contrast and the fact his production improved with Painter, a QB perhaps half as good as Manning.

Claiming
"Garcon would have been an afterthought had he gone to most other teams" is on one hand hearsay and on the other, obvious. Thus it doesn't make for a very convincing argument.

Furthermore, you would then need confirming evidence on the other side of the equation as well. The point here is simply this, it is difficult to say how well a player will perform in another system.

That said, however, I do agree with the notion that Manning's instruction for any of our WR's would likely bring a positive outcome, and I would not disagree with the notion part of that positive outcome could be the result of improved technique, at least technique improved to compliment Manning's style of QB play; especially if Manning could reinstate and our receivers could execute sight adjustments.