• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe. What Baalke said was said before Manning was a FA so maybe he wanted to avoid tampering.

But I'll be pissed if we don't even inquire about Manning.

What they say publicly and what they do are two different things, they probably had this researched long before any official announcement.

They are not ignorant to how such discussions might affect a fragile and newly resurrected Smith...

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will be catching the ball? Or does Manning hand the ball off better than Smith?

So we can't draft a Wr or sign meachem? And you don't think manning will make theseguys better? Remember when clark went down all the talk about tamme what happened to tamme last year

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
why wouldn't harbaugh want him? if smith doesn't sign what we're offering we need to look at other qb's. there's not really much out there.

I don't know; you tell me. The only thing I can think of is that he does not want to give control of the offense away. His ego makes him want to be the one getting the credit for the offense. It just makes no sense that a team that is a QB away from being the Super Bowl favorite won't entertain the idea of signing one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Could you imagine that defense with a good offense instead of a weak one? They'd be a great team.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manning has made stars out of lesser receivers than Crabtree, Morgan and Davis. He will do wonders for those guys.

So I guess Mannings balls are "stickier" than Smith's particularly when throwing to a guy with Crabs?

Why don't you pull up some stats on Alex's history throwing to Davis, there's no problem there, unless you look at specific sideline throws.

:drink:

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NO...not exactly his post is predicated on getting the right kind of contract that you "can get out of easy"...Manning lied his ass off and said under tears there is no other team he wants to be with...but damn the money got in the way and he obviously made NO attempt to restructure to a reasonable sum...He's crying, not about leaving IND but about the damn money he's gonna make with his next team and all his new endorsements for switching teams...just wait till his new commercials come out.

I've heard some stupid things said on this board; I've said some myself, but the above takes the cake. Congratulations. Wow!

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I guess Mannings balls are "stickier" than Smith's particularly when throwing to a guy with Crabs?

Why don't you pull up some stats on Alex's history throwing to Davis, there's no problem there, unless you look at specific sideline throws.

:drink:

I don't know if his balls are stickier but he is far and away a better QB than Smith is. There is no question about that.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure if this was posted, but ratto sums it up nicely. it's a risk that might actually have 25/75 odds. 36 y/o qb trying to come back from multiple neck procedures.

"And if you think the 49ers didn’t win that game because of Alex Smith, you’re nuts." - Ratto

Reasons Manning to 49ers doesn't work

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
[/B]

I've heard some stupid things said on this board; I've said some myself, but the above takes the cake. Congratulations. Wow!

"Super Bowl champion, Peyton Manning said goodbye to the Indianapolis Colts with a shaky voice and tear-filled eyes, then got ready to find a new place to play quarterback.

At a podium alongside owner Jim Irsay, who cut the injured star Wednesday rather than pay a whopping $28 million bonus due this week, Manning was by turns wistful, nostalgic -- he got choked up while praising the Colts' equipment managers -- and forward-looking."

Nobody loves their job more than I do. Nobody loves playing quarterback more than I do. I still want to play. But there is no other team I wanted to play for,"

Prove it...he wanted the Colts to fork out a total of $51 million to keep both Luck and himself, unless you think Manning is so damn good the Colts should've traded Luck? What should the Colts have done? Yeah...look at the bold part again...his BELOVED Colts were so important to him that he walked to find a bigger better deal.

You've said stupid things? YOU'VE REPLACED CAZIC! :second:

:pound:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think he's said enough stupid things to come close to cazic, he's like 10.5% on the cazic meter

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Super Bowl champion, Peyton Manning said goodbye to the Indianapolis Colts with a shaky voice and tear-filled eyes, then got ready to find a new place to play quarterback.

At a podium alongside owner Jim Irsay, who cut the injured star Wednesday rather than pay a whopping $28 million bonus due this week, Manning was by turns wistful, nostalgic -- he got choked up while praising the Colts' equipment managers -- and forward-looking."

Nobody loves their job more than I do. Nobody loves playing quarterback more than I do. I still want to play. But there is no other team I wanted to play for,"

Prove it...he wanted the Colts to fork out a total of $51 million to keep both Luck and himself, unless you think Manning is so damn good the Colts should've traded Luck? What should the Colts have done? Yeah...look at the bold part again...his BELOVED Colts were so important to him that he walked to find a bigger better deal.

You've said stupid things? YOU'VE REPLACED CAZIC! :second:

:pound:

I think the Colts made the right decision in letting Manning go. But to question Manning's sincerity about loving his time with the Colts when you have absolutely no basis for it is plain silly and the reason why that statement won you the prize for stupidest comment of the month.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is merit to that argument. But can you come up with any other reasonable explanation where a team that is a solid QB away from being the Super Bowl favorite won't even entertain the idea of signing one of the greatest to ever play the game? Especially when the timing is perfect and it is the one area that kept them from being in the Super Bowl last year? An opportunity like this won't come again.

I can only think of a few reasons not to pursue Manning:

1) They believe his health concerns are serious and he will not be able to play a complete season.

2) They believe Smith is the answer and a 10-year starter in the league.

3) They think they would have to blow up portions of the roster to get Manning, including shedding young and talented players on D.

I can't think 2) is the answer, or we would be offering Smith a longer contract. 1) or 3) are possible, but either way you've GOT to at least ask Manning what he's looking for. I do think the agent thing makes this difficult. Condon won't want to lose a starting salary for Smith. That said, Manning has more than enough pull to make Condon do what he wants him to.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if smith hasn't signed, they should ask about manning just so they know the niners are serious about looking elsewhere. it could work in our favor

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know; you tell me. The only thing I can think of is that he does not want to give control of the offense away. His ego makes him want to be the one getting the credit for the offense. It just makes no sense that a team that is a QB away from being the Super Bowl favorite won't entertain the idea of signing one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Could you imagine that defense with a good offense instead of a weak one? They'd be a great team.

Really gotta stop you here. He wants credit for the 29th passing offense? I think Harbaugh wants to win games, and playing conservatively was the best way to do that this year. He didn't want to push Alex too hard. But if he has a great QB, we'll still see a fair bit of running, but we'll air it out a lot more.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and I understand why players would rather have a 5 year deal instead of a 3 year deal. First, everyone likes a sense of job security. Secondly, a longer contract allows for a larger signing bonus and typically more guaranteed money. I get that stuff, and why players want it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be explaining to you the contract basics. Re-reading it, I can see I did exactly that. No insult intended. I guess what I meant was I think four was the goal. When the initial word was 2-3 year deal, I bet they set their sights on four plus, not five. I guess that isn't much of a point except that I think trying to get four years is reasonable and for some reason, five seems too long for what you said was one good year following two years of 82 QBR seasons on a losing team. I don't think the years prior to Harbaugh are going to have that much weight, but it will be a factor. Four sounds right and that's what I think it'll ultimately end up being.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will be catching the ball? Or does Manning hand the ball off better than Smith?

It's sad to say, but he probably does. He seems to be a perfectionist and I wouldn't be surprised if he's put time in figuring out where to place the ball for different runners and how to sell the pass better, opening it up for the runningbacks. And his shit smells better. ;)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really gotta stop you here. He wants credit for the 29th passing offense? I think Harbaugh wants to win games, and playing conservatively was the best way to do that this year. He didn't want to push Alex too hard. But if he has a great QB, we'll still see a fair bit of running, but we'll air it out a lot more.

air it out to who? crabtree and the chipmunks?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And next year will probably be somewhere between Smith of 2011 and Manning of 2010, either way. I believe Smith will be better than last year, opening up the offense a bit more, longer leash. If we were to get Manning, I bet he'd be a little less effective than he was in 2010. Smith played a part in our offensive woes but he wasn't the only problem. Manning made the Colts look better than they were, but in 2010 they had some positives, too.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can only think of a few reasons not to pursue Manning:

1) They believe his health concerns are serious and he will not be able to play a complete season.

2) They believe Smith is the answer and a 10-year starter in the league.

3) They think they would have to blow up portions of the roster to get Manning, including shedding young and talented players on D.

I can't think 2) is the answer, or we would be offering Smith a longer contract. 1) or 3) are possible, but either way you've GOT to at least ask Manning what he's looking for. I do think the agent thing makes this difficult. Condon won't want to lose a starting salary for Smith. That said, Manning has more than enough pull to make Condon do what he wants him to.

See what I mean? It's a head-scratcher. Could be just me, but I smell Harbaugh. I'm pretty sure that any contract Manning signs at this point is going to heavily incentive laden.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So if he shows that little confidence in Smith that he played it ridiculously conservative at times, and we stipulate that all he wants to do is win, why would he not want a superb QB like Manning?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I didn't mean to be explaining to you the contract basics. Re-reading it, I can see I did exactly that. No insult intended. I guess what I meant was I think four was the goal. When the initial word was 2-3 year deal, I bet they set their sights on four plus, not five. I guess that isn't much of a point except that I think trying to get four years is reasonable and for some reason, five seems too long for what you said was one good year following two years of 82 QBR seasons on a losing team. I don't think the years prior to Harbaugh are going to have that much weight, but it will be a factor. Four sounds right and that's what I think it'll ultimately end up being.

Apology accepted

Seriously though I didn't feel insulted, I get what you're saying.. and I agree that these guys obviously don't blame Smith for his past failures and the team's failures, otherwise he would have been gone a year ago. Although I think in the sense of a good GM, Baalke still wants to see more before he makes the complete long-term commitment. Even with a clean slate, Smith has only had one good year and it was still pretty pedestrian compared to Rodgers, Brees, Brady and Stafford.

I'd imagine that they just want Smith to sign the 3 year deal, and if he improves like both sides expect him to, immediately get started on making it a longer deal worthy of a starting QB who has put together back to back good seasons that helped the team get to the playoffs in consecutive years.

Last edited by a moderator: