• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Assuming Manning can play, even if he's lost some zip, he'd still be a major upgrade. He could lose a lot of arm strength and still throw the deep ball as well as Alex. Add that to his knowledge of the game, awareness, accuracy, etc., and he's a CLEAR upgrade. The only way you pass on that - again, assuming he can play at all - is if you think Smith is a 10-year guy.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Alex Smith contract: What's the snag?

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the snag is the length of the deal, and with it the amount of guaranteed money. The 49ers are offering a shorter-term deal, believed to be three years. Smith's agent, Tom Condon, is pushing for a longer deal, believed to be five years.

The 49ers' trump card is the same one they use with all of their pending free agents: If you think you can get that same deal on the open market, by all means try to do so.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm seeing so many articles about how it's wise the 49ers don't try to change their chemistry by picking up Manning.

What chemistry is this? There is not much chemistry on offense to begin with. I think Alex Smith could get a little bit better but he is definitely no Manning, never will be a Manning and Manning at his worst is better than Alex Smith.

Manning would no doubt make that offense better than Smith would ever would and that's the big picture the 49ers organization is not piecing together.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex should improve on his play from last season but I can't see him ever reaching Peyton Manning levels so it's stupid to not at least inquire and get a look at him.

It just makes too much sense to not go for Peyton Manning.

Sign Manning to a contract that is structured in a way they can easily get out of it without penalty and either:

A) He goes back to being Peyton Manning and we become arguably the scariest team in the league and odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl.

B) He sucks or gets injured than we dump him and go with Kaepernick who's the heir apparent anyways.

Either way the reward is by far greater than the risk.

Exactly.

If we sign Manning it can only go three ways:

1- He's the same elite QB and we not only become one of the best teams in the league, but the favorite to win the SB.

2- He's 60-70% of the old Manning, which means he's still a pretty good QB that we can groom Kaepernick behind.

3- He flames out, in which case we cut him or he retires and we start Kaepernick, who's supposed to be the future QB anyways.

If we don't sign Manning it:

1- Alex Smith emerges as a franchise QB and leads to multiple SBs. Highly unlikely.

2- We can the same 195 yard 1 TD per game Smith while we eek our way through wins hoping nobody makes a mistake.

3- Alex Smith regresses and we throw Kaepernick in anyways.

4- Peyton Manning might go to Seattle or Arizona to light us up for the next 3 or 4 years.

It's just ridiculous that we're not even inquiring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross has already flown Peyton to Miami.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is not going to allow Manning to take over his team. It simply cannot happen.

why are you so convinced that Manning will try and take over the team? i havent heard one coach or player from the colts mention that he is that type of player/person. can you back your claims with facts?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Man, Stephen Ross moves fast. RT @willbrinson: Photo proof of Peyton Manning in Miami, via @daverichard & @CBSMiami : yfrog.com/es89rep

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Has Baalke not earned an inch of trust from you guys? Harbaugh?

You guys act like they're blind idiots when they clearly have a plan, a method of operating, and vision that has already helped the Niners make significant progress in a very short time.

I mean....jeez. Let them do their work. It was the same crap last year "They don't know what they're doing", the typical stuff where message board posters think they're smarter and more informed than guys that do this stuff 12 hours a day. You don't know more than they do about Manning or Smith. You don't know what their longterm plans are WRT Kapernick. Just ease up a bit and try to give them some benefit of the doubt.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos will inquire about former QB Peyton Manning's availability and see if he has interest in coming to Denver.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex should improve on his play from last season but I can't see him ever reaching Peyton Manning levels so it's stupid to not at least inquire and get a look at him.

It just makes too much sense to not go for Peyton Manning.

Sign Manning to a contract that is structured in a way they can easily get out of it without penalty and either:

A) He goes back to being Peyton Manning and we become arguably the scariest team in the league and odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl.

B) He sucks or gets injured than we dump him and go with Kaepernick who's the heir apparent anyways.

Either way the reward is by far greater than the risk.

at this point i wouldn't just say kap is the heir apparent. 2nd round picks are usually qb's with physical talents that aren't viewed as 1st rounders. u get the projected first rounders who drop like brees or plummer who become good starters, but 2nd rounders mostly don't amount to anything.

we might end up with tony banks, a complete bust or one of the few diamonds in the rough.

until manning is actually released we won't know who's interested, because it's tampering at this point.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Alex Smith contract: What's the snag?

According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the snag is the length of the deal, and with it the amount of guaranteed money. The 49ers are offering a shorter-term deal, believed to be three years. Smith's agent, Tom Condon, is pushing for a longer deal, believed to be five years.

The 49ers' trump card is the same one they use with all of their pending free agents: If you think you can get that same deal on the open market, by all means try to do so.

Three years is considered a "shorter-term" deal for Alex? I thought a two year deal was too long.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three years is considered a "shorter-term" deal for Alex? I thought a two year deal was too long.

I bet it has at least one year of fluff. Probably another cuttable after every year deal without a lot of guaranteed money. I see the 49ers wanting to be able to start CK when he is ready and reap the salary cap benefits.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys act like they're blind idiots when they clearly have a plan, a method of operating, and vision that has already helped the Niners make significant progress in a very short time.

I mean....jeez. Let them do their work. It was the same crap last year "They don't know what they're doing", the typical stuff where message board posters think they're smarter and more informed than guys that do this stuff 12 hours a day. You don't know more than they do about Manning or Smith. You don't know what their longterm plans are WRT Kapernick. Just ease up a bit and try to give them some benefit of the doubt.

There's no wrong with inquiring and talking to Manning.

What if he says to Baalke that he wants to come here, and for a discount? Do they say no?

Comon.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What do you know about what's wrong and what's not? What kind of insider info. do you have about the locker room, personalities involved, etc.

Do you admit there's a chance they are in a better position to make these decisions than you are?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning - QB - Colts

Free agent Peyton Manning touched down in South Florida on Wednesday en route to his condominium on South Beach.
When CBS Miami's photos of Manning getting off his plane surfaced Wednesday afternoon, Twitter went crazy with speculation that he was meeting with the Dolphins. Instead, Manning was flying to his winter home in Miami. He can expect a flurry of phone calls over the next several hours, and the Seahawks have already reached out. We expect at least a few days before he signs, however.
Related: Dolphins
Source: CBS Miami
Mar 7 - 4:58 PM

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Man, Stephen Ross moves fast. RT @willbrinson: Photo proof of Peyton Manning in Miami, via @daverichard & @CBSMiami : yfrog.com/es89rep

was he with Stephen Ross or on a private jet owned by him? I thought Mannings off season home was in Miami? Wouldnt anyone be seen in Miami if they lived there?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning - QB - Colts
The Seahawks are "already in the process" of contacting free agent Peyton Manning, according to NFL Network's Albert Breer.
It didn't take long, but this report marks the first public news of a team "reaching out" to Manning, just hours after his Colts' press conference. The NFL's waiver wire has now been released, so teams are allowed to contact Manning as they please.
Related: Seahawks

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you know about what's wrong and what's not? What kind of insider info. do you have about the locker room, personalities involved, etc.

Do you admit there's a chance they are in a better position to make these decisions than you are?

You're talking to a guy who's been on Harbaugh's nuts since 2008. I completely trust him.

That said, that doesn't mean I can't question his or Baalke's moves. This is a message board, you don't have to read it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I won't criticize if they don't sign him. I might if they don't even approach him. See what the guy is looking for. Does he want the money, or does he want another shot at the super bowl? If the latter, we're a great bet. If the former, another team will almost certainly get him.