• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manning to Part ways tomorrow

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have told Alex to test the market and bring back his best offer like they are doing with Rogers. This process might buy you enough time to see if Manning can get healthy. If Alex comes back with a cheap offer which is most likely then you sign both and let the best man win. If Alex comes back with too high an offer then you tell him to kick rocks, sign Manning, and then CK is your backup. If Alex comes back with a reasonable offer then you match it.

That sounds like a great way to do it.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows if Manning will be the same, but he was more than just a rocket arm QB. The dude can line up and call out to his linemen exactly who will be blitzing, he's great at reading coverages. Those are some pretty sexy Quarterbacking attributes, there might be no one in the league better at that stuff when you think about the 14 years of experience.

I'd really be surprised if you thought Manning's success had more to do with his arm strength than his mental side of the game.

he's smart,,no doubt about that but if his arm isn't right it won't matter how smart he is if he can't make the throws,,,,

to me the bigger question is how well can he take a hit,if he takes a hard helmit to helmit will he be ok,,??????

I wouldn't want him going out a cripple or worse on my team,,,,,,,,,,,,,

good luck how ever it goes

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers make offer to Smith, not interested in Manning

Hopefully our offer isn't an overpayment and we force Alex to let the market set his price if he doesn't like it.

If this is true I think it's ridiculous. I'm not saying go and throw as much cash as possible at Manning, but how are we not even interested? They owe it to the fans to research Manning's situation and, at the very least, inquire about what could be the best QB to ever hit FA.

But we're not shutting the door on Moss? Because Alex will be able to consistently hit him deep, right?

Makes no fuckin sense.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If this is true I think it's ridiculous. I'm not saying go and throw as much cash as possible at Manning, but how are we not even interested? They owe it to the fans to research Manning's situation and, at the very least, inquire about what could be the best QB to ever hit FA.

But we're not shutting the door on Moss? Because Alex will be able to consistently hit him deep, right?

Makes no fuckin sense.

+1

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes no fuckin sense.

I think this is mostly what Maiocco thinks. If you read what Baalke said you could paint a totally different picture.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We haven't had Peyton in here nor are we even talking about those things internally right now. ... Is he going to play? I don't know. That's for the doctors to make the decision on and for him himself."

Read more here: Sacramento Bee -- 49ers Blog and Q&A

Now that he is on the market do they start talking about him? Peyton said today he still wants to play. Alex still hasn't signed. Maybe it is time to let the fellas at Stanford give him a peek?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is mostly what Maiocco thinks. If you read what Baalke said you could paint a totally different picture.

Maybe. What Baalke said was said before Manning was a FA so maybe he wanted to avoid tampering.

But I'll be pissed if we don't even inquire about Manning.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think that every day that goes bye with Alex not signing the offer is a good day.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning - QB - Colts

Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal is "hearing" that roughly 10 NFL teams have already inquired about free agent Peyton Manning.
Mullen provides no specifics, but it's confirmation that pursuit of Manning will be widespread and aggressive, and he should easily end up with plenty of guaranteed money despite the neck surgery risks. On NFL Network Wednesday, reporter Jason La Canfora insisted that "people should be talking about Seattle and Arizona. They're gonna come after Peyton Manning strong."
Related: Cardinals, Seahawks
Source: Liz Mullen on Twitter
Mar 7 - 12:59 PM

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Kawakami makes a decent case here for why the Niners probably really aren't pursuing Manning.

5 reasons the 49ers won’t focus on Peyton Manning (and probably vice-versa) | Talking Points

I'd add......is this a situation where its really so important to show interest, or put feelers out, if they don't have a huge interest in him? Its not like you're going to get him on the sly or cheap......there will be 4 or 5 teams that pursue him with all their energy and capspace. Sure its worth checking in on any player available, but the intense interest there will be in Manning makes half-hearted pursuits kind of pointless.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kawakami makes a decent case here for why the Niners probably really aren't pursuing Manning.

5 reasons the 49ers won’t focus on Peyton Manning (and probably vice-versa) | Talking Points

I'd add......is this a situation where its really so important to show interest, or put feelers out, if they don't have a huge interest in him? Its not like you're going to get him on the sly or cheap......there will be 4 or 5 teams that pursue him with all their energy and capspace. Sure its worth checking in on any player available, but the intense interest there will be in Manning makes half-hearted pursuits kind of pointless.

I think it's worth showing interest. Not because I want the 49ers to throw truck loads of cash at him, but because at this stage in his career I believe Manning wants to win more than he wants the biggest contract. He can get that with the 49ers more than any other team that's reportedly interested.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You said terrible season so I took his season with the Bow into account when stating that. Eddie Royal is more a slot/YAC guy though whereas Thomas and Decker are deep threats. Lloyd was traded mid season. But your point is that Royal is not as good as the contract handed to him and that may very well be the case of me believing him to be MY Brandon Jones....only hoping for a better outcome.

I've got to agree with this. Tebow's game is basically to run around the backfield frantically and then launch balls deep. It's an approach that can work with deep ball receivers. That's not Royal's game, and Tebow lacks the accuracy to make use of him. There's no doubt Royal fell off pretty hard after an incredible rookie season, but I'd think we'd bring him in to be our 3rd or 4th guy and returner (granted, for that role, the salary Dre proposed in another thread is high). In that role, I think he'd be a decent fit.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's worth showing interest. Not because I want the 49ers to throw truck loads of cash at him, but because at this stage in his career I believe Manning wants to win more than he wants the biggest contract. He can get that with the 49ers more than any other team that's reportedly interested.

I agree with this. We don't have to go crazy, but we could mention something to Condon. Trouble is, he's also Smith's agent, so there's no way to be discrete about it. But we do offer a legit chance to make it back to the Super Bowl in the next two years if that's Manning's priority.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning - QB - Colts

Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal is "hearing" that roughly 10 NFL teams have already inquired about free agent Peyton Manning.
Mullen provides no specifics, but it's confirmation that pursuit of Manning will be widespread and aggressive, and he should easily end up with plenty of guaranteed money despite the neck surgery risks. On NFL Network Wednesday, reporter Jason La Canfora insisted that "people should be talking about Seattle and Arizona. They're gonna come after Peyton Manning strong."
Related: Cardinals, Seahawks
Source: Liz Mullen on Twitter
Mar 7 - 12:59 PM

If I had to guess the 4 teams that are gonna pursue Manning the strongest are Seattle, Arizona, Miami, and Washington.

At Miami he'll have to play Brady twice a year. In Washington he'd have to play Eli twice a year. He might not want that drama.

At this point I don't care if he comes here or not, just don't come to the NFCW.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is pretty good irony that for all the talk the Niners should get Kolb last year or two........12 months later Kolb has been exposed, is on the brink of being replaced and cut, and we're on to the next amazing upgrade we need to get.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, how lucky is Reggie Wayne? His value probably doubled now that Peyton is a FA. I heard Jeff Saturday might also follow Peyton.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dungy: Manning would land on his feet with 49ers

Peyton Manning now walks unto alien territory, a man without a football team, but his former coach, Tony Dungy, believes it won't be long before he joins a contender.

"It's a very, very difficult day," Dungy told NFL Network on Wednesday, just minutes before Manning's teary farewell to the city of Indianapolis. The difficult nature of this breakup now gives way to Manning's highly anticipated next chapter, and Dungy believes that could take place in San Francisco.

"I can't speak for Peyton. There's a number of teams out there," Dungy said. "San Francisco, I look at what they did and whether they've made that commitment to Alex Smith yet, I don't know. I don't know where they stand, but that's a team that's got great defense, it has some young receivers, a very good tight end and a good back, that, you put Peyton Manning in that offense and people are going to be scared to play them."

This flies in the face of a report by NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora, who says the 49ers are focused on re-signing Smith and won't chase Manning, according to a team source. 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh also voiced steady support for Smith at last month's NFL combine.

Wherever he lands, Manning is motivated to return to the field better than ever, according to Dungy, who coached the Colts from 2002 to 2008. Dungy said Manning has the ability to lift players around him the same way Joe Montana did for the Chiefs in 1993 and 1994.

"(Peyton) definitely feels like his arm strength is back," Dungy said, "and in terms of physically throwing the ball, he feels like he's good there, and he definitely wants to play. And the last conversation I had with him, he feels like doctors have given him the total OK to move forward, that he's not going to be in any health risk, and he really wants to get back out on the field.

"So, I think you are going to see the old Peyton Manning. I think you're going to see a guy who's really driven and he is going to be a benefit to someone."

NFL.com news: Dungy: Manning would land on his feet with 49ers

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
"I can't speak for Peyton. There's a number of teams out there," Dungy said. "San Francisco, I look at what they did and whether they've made that commitment to Alex Smith yet, I don't know. I don't know where they stand, but that's a team that's got great defense, it has some young receivers, a very good tight end and a good back, that, you put Peyton Manning in that offense and people are going to be scared to play them." -Tony Dungy

Hell to the yes!