• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Luka Garza (Iowa) or Obi Toppin (Dayton)

Who should be Naismith POY?

• Total voters

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess i dont understand the criteria for Player of the Year.

I was under the impression it was the guy who had the best year.

Apparently thats not it as Garza didnt win

Its also not the great player from the team who had the best season as Azubuike didnt win

And its also not the most clutch great player as Pritchard didnt win

Honestly im not sure if theres a single criteria i can think of based on this season where Toppin should win

But it is what it is

There are some advanced metrics that had Toppin being the more valuable player. The raw stats would suggest Garza, but Garza also had a higher usage rate, and took 4.5 shots more per game. Toppin was also better defensively. Honestly, I would have voted for Toppin, but can understand why someone would vote for Garza as well. He was a beast.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some advanced metrics that had Toppin being the more valuable player. The raw stats would suggest Garza, but Garza also had a higher usage rate, and took 4.5 shots more per game. Toppin was also better defensively. Honestly, I would have voted for Toppin, but can understand why someone would vote for Garza as well. He was a beast.
I like advanced stats but the issue when comping players is they dont take opposition into account. I love Toppin but even if his numbers werent worse he still did it vs a far weaker schedule. Now add in that the numbers are worse and i guess i dont get it.

Who you play should matter and there may not have been a better position group in all CBB than B10 centers yet Garza straight dominated them ( outscored opposing Cs in B10 play by 16ppg and outrebounded them by 4 rpg )

Thats insane when you look at who else plays C in the B10

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like advanced stats but the issue when comping players is they dont take opposition into account. I love Toppin but even if his numbers werent worse he still did it vs a far weaker schedule. Now add in that the numbers are worse and i guess i dont get it.

Who you play should matter and there may not have been a better position group in all CBB than B10 centers yet Garza straight dominated them ( outscored opposing Cs in B10 play by 16ppg and outrebounded them by 4 rpg )

Thats insane when you look at who else plays C in the B10

That's a good point about the competition, I was merely bringing it up because Garza took so many more shots/game and had a much higher usage rate. I think that's part of the reason he averaged more than Toppin did. Toppin had better shooting percentages across the board as well. Plus Dayton was a much better team this year as well. Getting them on the 1 line is as mightily impressive. I said it was a close call, both players are great, I just slightly lean Toppin.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess i dont understand the criteria for Player of the Year.

I was under the impression it was the guy who had the best year.

Apparently thats not it as Garza didnt win

Its also not the great player from the team who had the best season as Azubuike didnt win

And its also not the most clutch great player as Pritchard didnt win

Honestly im not sure if theres a single criteria i can think of based on this season where Toppin should win

But it is what it is

you forgot to add that Garza is a lot more handsome than Toppin

that fact alone should have vaulted Garza to the Naismith Trophy

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you forgot to add that Garza is a lot more handsome than Toppin

that fact alone should have vaulted Garza to the Naismith Trophy
Garza looks like a caveman