• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions hiring BOB QUINN as new GM

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotta love comments like this one from the comment section of this article.

Thought this was a really good pickup until I heard the name Josh Mcdaniels. He single handly ruined the broncos in less than two years. Please don’t dump caldwell for that guy.

Ruined? Or saved? McD was HC in 2009-2010. Two years. Last Denver AFC West title was 2005 at this time. Denver Broncos AFC West Champs 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. Doesn't sound like a team in ruins to me.

No, he didn't have a great two year record trying to win with the previous regimes players. Yes, the Broncos have been AFC West Champs every year since LARGLY in part to players taken in McDs two drafts. They won their first post season game since 2005 with Tebow.

FIRE CALDWELL! Bring McD to the D!

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love comments like this one from the comment section of this article.

Thought this was a really good pickup until I heard the name Josh Mcdaniels. He single handly ruined the broncos in less than two years. Please don’t dump caldwell for that guy.

Ruined? Or saved? McD was HC in 2009-2010. Two years. Last Denver AFC West title was 2005 at this time. Denver Broncos AFC West Champs 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. Doesn't sound like a team in ruins to me.

No, he didn't have a great two year record trying to win with the previous regimes players. Yes, the Broncos have been AFC West Champs every year since LARGLY in part to players taken in McDs two drafts. They won their first post season game since 2005 with Tebow.

FIRE CALDWELL! Bring McD to the D!

Also, Belicheck failed his first run as a head coach as well. People learn from their mistakes.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Previous to the Denver vs Seattle Super Bowl:

McDaniels’ two seasons as the Denver Broncos’ head coach are mostly looked at as a joke, but the New England Patriots’ offensive coordinator helped build this season’s dominant Broncos, who are set to take on the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII, through the draft and free agency.

Six Broncos players remain from McDaniels’ 2009 and 2010 draft classes. Overall, the Broncos have 10 players on their roster whom McDaniels drafted or signed during his limited time in Denver. They aren’t just bit, role players, either.

McDaniels drafted the Broncos’ starting running back, two starting wide receivers and starting left guard, and he signed their starting left tackle and punter. Take a look at the players McDaniels brought in below.

RB Knowshon Moreno (2009, Round 1, Pick 12): 241 rushing attempts, 1,038 yards, 10 touchdowns, 60 catches, 548 yards, three touchdowns DE Robert Ayers (2009, Round 1, Pick 18): 29 tackles, 5.5 sacks, forced fumble FS David Bruton (2009, Round 4, Pick 114): 23 tackles P Britton Colquitt (2009 free agent): 65 punts, 2,893 yards, 44.5 average, 38.8 net average WR Demaryius Thomas (2010, Round 1, Pick 22): 92 catches, 1,430 yards, 14 touchdowns OG Zane Beadles (2010, Round 2, Pick 45): 16 starts at left guard WR Eric Decker (2010, Round 3, Pick 87): 87 catches, 1,288 yards, 11 touchdowns DT Kevin Vickerson (2010, free agent): 22 tackles, sack OT Chris Clark (2010, free agent): 14 starts at left tackle

Read more at: Josh McDaniels Helped Build Super Bowl Denver Broncos Through Draft

Knowshon was a miserable flop, Ayers, Beadles, Decker, and Vickerson are not on the team. Clark played because the talented LT hurt his knee.

McDanials also had a TON of early round picks because he dumped half of his roster from an offense that was already top 5, for draft picks.

He traded a future 1st for a second round pick so he could draft Alphonso Smith, and a year later he traded him to the Lions for a backup FB who was a 7th rounder in that same draft.

As someone who lived in Denver during his cluster fuck embarrassment of a tenure with the Broncos, his being the head coach would be the worst case scenario.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowshon was a miserable flop,

Knowhon when healthy may not have been the greatest runner ever, but he was a great blocker/receiver and was good in short yardage situations. I still want us to give him a look if his knee is healthy enough this coming season. Plus he has passion something most of our guys are lacking.

Knowshon-Moreno-Crying-3.jpg

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowshon was a miserable flop, Ayers, Beadles, Decker, and Vickerson are not on the team. Clark played because the talented LT hurt his knee.

McDanials also had a TON of early round picks because he dumped half of his roster from an offense that was already top 5, for draft picks.

He traded a future 1st for a second round pick so he could draft Alphonso Smith, and a year later he traded him to the Lions for a backup FB who was a 7th rounder in that same draft.

As someone who lived in Denver during his cluster fuck embarrassment of a tenure with the Broncos, his being the head coach would be the worst case scenario.

Worst case scenario? The Bucs have won the north more recently than us. Were already living with the worst case scenario. Nowhere to go but up.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst case scenario? The Bucs have won the north more recently than us. Were already living with the worst case scenario. Nowhere to go but up.

Worst case scenario for the future. Mayhew is gone, I am not going to worry about the past.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The present is the best representation of your past.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a Jeff Seidel freep article:

And there will be no more nonsense on drafting the best available players. “If you have a starting level running back, why would you take a starting running back in the first round?” he said. “You have to establish a mesh of need and best available.”

I don't believe it. This makes too much sense to come out of a Lions' front office.

He also touched on using analytics, 10 or more evaluators for each player, player versatility, and an eyeball test.

I liked Ebron. But he wouldn't have passed the analytics portion of Quinn's evaluation because he drops everything thrown at him. He also can't block so he's not versatile. Ebron only passed the eyeball test because of his size and he made a ton of flashy plays in college. That was a top 10 pick we flushed down the toilet (so far in Ebron's career) because of some youtube highlight reels.

Quinn may turn out to be the worst decision maker of all time, but his broad methods will likely put a higher percentage of good players in front of him when the time comes to make a pick.

Quinn has been a talent evaluator for his entire adult life. He is young enough to not shoot from the hip but trust the data. Millen had a giant ego from playing and TV but never evaluated anything professionally prior to being GM. Quinn has no background in the spotlight so he should have a healthy, small ego that comes from being promoted again and again by the Patriots. If Quinn develops a big ego here it will be from winning.

The fact that other Patriots personnel left the mother-ship and failed shouldn't be a knock against Quinn. It just means Pioli, McDaniels, and others weren't so important in New England.

I always initially rally behind the decisions the Lions make so maybe I'm blind.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Bucs hired their new GM from the Patriots too.

The Titans have begun informing GM candidates that they won't get the job.

The search is over, and the belief is the Titans will tab Bucs personnel director Jon Robinson for the gig. Robinson originates from the Patriots' tree and moved to Tampa along with fellow ex-New England exec Jason Licht. Robinson served as the Patriots' director of college scouting from 2009 through 2013.

Wonder how this affects their HC search? Up until now it's been assumed that interim Mike Mularkey would het the job. Now the a Titans and Lions are in very similar situations.

I also heard Schwartz wants to be the DC for TN.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BQ brought Williams to NE. Big difference between the Patriot way and the JC way.

Williams makes most of fresh start after Lions trade

In the past five months, Williams has gone from being buried on the Lions depth chartto being a key member of the AFC’s top-scoring offense. And as the Patriots prepare for Saturday’s divisional playoff game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Williams is two wins away from the Super Bowl.

Williams can’t explain his lack of use in Detroit, but safe to say his career has changed course for the better since he arrived in New England.

Here's hoping the careers of ALL Lions now change for the better under BQ.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Titans hired their new GM from the Patriots too.

The Titans have begun informing GM candidates that they won't get the job.

The search is over, and the belief is the Titans will tab Bucs personnel director Jon Robinson for the gig. Robinson originates from the Patriots' tree and moved to Tampa along with fellow ex-New England exec Jason Licht. Robinson served as the Patriots' director of college scouting from 2009 through 2013.

Wonder how this affects their HC search? Up until now it's been assumed that interim Mike Mularkey would het the job. Now the a Titans and Lions are in very similar situations.

I also heard Schwartz wants to be the DC for TN.

Yahoo! Sports' Shalise Manza Young reports Patriots OC Josh McDaniels will be the top head coaching candidate for Jon Robinson once he is named Titans general manager.

Robinson is expected to be announced Thursday. Robinson is currently the Bucs director of player personnel, but he spent 12 seasons with the Patriots. He will have to fight off Lions GM Bob Quinn, who is himself a former Patriot, for McDaniels' services, but Tennessee might offer a better situation than Detroit. The Titans have Marcus Mariota, have some foundational talent on defense and have the benefit of the No. 1 overall pick in next year's draft. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported early in January the Titans "would be particularly appealing" to McDaniels.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HammerDown any thoughts about a Titans vs Lions tug-o-war for McDaniels? How you feeling about your new GM coming from New England?

Exciting times, fans.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoo! Sports' Shalise Manza Young reports Patriots OC Josh McDaniels will be the top head coaching candidate for Jon Robinson once he is named Titans general manager.

Robinson is expected to be announced Thursday. Robinson is currently the Bucs director of player personnel, but he spent 12 seasons with the Patriots. He will have to fight off Lions GM Bob Quinn, who is himself a former Patriot, for McDaniels' services, but Tennessee might offer a better situation than Detroit. The Titans have Marcus Mariota, have some foundational talent on defense and have the benefit of the No. 1 overall pick in next year's draft. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported early in January the Titans "would be particularly appealing" to McDaniels.

Please God let the Titans win those sweepstakes. This is like when the Broncos had McDaniels and the Chiefs had Pioli, and they got into a biding war for Matt Cassel. Only I would prefer Cassel.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please God let the Titans win those sweepstakes. This is like when the Broncos had McDaniels and the Chiefs had Pioli, and they got into a biding war for Matt Cassel. Only I would prefer Cassel.

Tebow was such a winner in college, it would have been fun to see him get a fair chance in the NFL without the Jesusphobe media going all Westboro church on him and his career, but I digress.

How do you feel about Patricia?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow was such a winner in college, it would have been fun to see him get a fair chance in the NFL without the Jesusphobe media going all Westboro church on him and his career, but I digress.

How do you feel about Patricia?

I never had an issue with Tebow, slow release was a concern, but he has won more playoff games than Stafford. Although the beginning of the end for him was already on the way, Lions showed how to do it. When they just put Tulloch in a QB spy all game and removed the threat of his scrambling everything fell apart.

Patricia seems fine, Brady gets a lot of credit, but the Patriots always have a very good defense too. I did not always dislike McDaniels, I thought Denver was lucky to get him as the HC way back when, but he could not get out of his own way, he could not just coach, but it had to be with players where everyone would say it was his system that did it. His ego stood out, even in a league filled with ego's.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually they just reported that Robinson got the GM job because he favors keeping Mullarky.

Unless they are all full of mullarky

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HammerDown any thoughts about a Titans vs Lions tug-o-war for McDaniels? How you feeling about your new GM coming from New England?

Exciting times, fans.

I'm not a Titans fan.