• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bears Hire Alan Williams as DC - Along With Oline/LB/WR Coaches

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As Colts defensive coordinator the past four seasons, new Bears coach Matt Eberflus worked closely with position coaches Alan Williams (defensive backs/safeties) and Dave Borgonzi (linebackers).

On Wednesday, Eberflus added the two assistants to his staff in Chicago—Williams as defensive coordinator and Borgonzi as linebackers coach.
In all four seasons the trio worked together in Indianapolis, the Colts ranked in the top 10 in the NFL in run defense and takeaways. In addition, Indianapolis finished in the top 10 in points allowed three times and was the least penalized defense in the league in 2019 and 2021.

The Bears on Wednesday hired Chris Morgan as their offensive line coach.

Morgan possesses 13 years of NFL experience, most recently as assistant offensive line coach with the Steelers in 2021. Prior to that, he spent six seasons as offensive line coach with the Falcons from 2015-20, doubling as running game coordinator in 2018.

In 2016, the offensive line helped the Falcons lead the NFL in scoring with 33.8 points per game, set a franchise record with 540 points and reach the Super Bowl. Quarterback Matt Ryan was named NFL MVP after establishing career highs and setting team passing marks with 4,944 yards, 38 touchdowns and a league-leading 117.1 rating.

The Bears are hiring former New York Giants wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert as their new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator.

Tolbert has coached in the NFL since 2003, where he’s served as a wide receivers coach for the Arizona Cardinals (2003), Buffalo Bills (2004-09), Carolina Panthers (2010), Denver Broncos (2011-17) and Giants (2018-21).

Tolbert has helped develop receivers, including Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker in Denver and Sterling Shepard and Darius Slayton with the Giants.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was obvious that Eberflus was gonna bring in some of his guys. That said, Desai was good enough to keep on had Eberflus not had somebody in mind. He'll probably get a DC job elsewhere.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was obvious that Eberflus was gonna bring in some of his guys. That said, Desai was good enough to keep on had Eberflus not had somebody in mind. He'll probably get a DC job elsewhere.

Definitely good enough but runs a scheme much different than Eberflus. Coaches tend to stick to what they know.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely good enough but runs a scheme much different than Eberflus. Coaches tend to stick to what they know.
I'm with you guys in that Desai did an admirable job with his schemes, especially considering that he almost never had a full deck when it came to his top 11 guys being on the field together. In fact, did we once have what would have been our starting 11 played a full game? Not sure we did.

But I also agree that with Eberflus returning the Bears D to the 4-3, he'd want as his DC someone who has experience planning attacks under this alignment. No argument with this whatsoever.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got our QB coach. Poached him from the same position in Minnesota.

Our coordinators and HC may be new to their positions. I like that our positional coaches are all experienced and proven. Perhaps that's why these decisions are being made.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are expected to hire Andrew Janocko as quarterbacks coach. Janocko served in the same role with the Vikings last season.

But Janocko’s experience extends beyond coaching quarterbacks. He’s also coached wide receivers (2020) and offensive line (2017-19) during his time in Minnesota, which gives him a plethora of offensive coaching experience.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you guys in that Desai did an admirable job with his schemes, especially considering that he almost never had a full deck when it came to his top 11 guys being on the field together. In fact, did we once have what would have been our starting 11 played a full game? Not sure we did.

But I also agree that with Eberflus returning the Bears D to the 4-3, he'd want as his DC someone who has experience planning attacks under this alignment. No argument with this whatsoever.
Desai produced the 6th overall ranked D with a pretty banged up unit. I'll give him that. I have to admit, though, I'm not exactly sure what he did to sell us one way or another about him as a long term solution. I mean, injuries or not, the D had some bad games and plenty of flaws. I'm by ZERO means saying it was on him. The D seemingly started out well when healthy. I just feel like it was a lost season and while I think Desai MIGHT be good. It's not like I am upset he's gone.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desai produced the 6th overall ranked D with a pretty banged up unit. I'll give him that. I have to admit, though, I'm not exactly sure what he did to sell us one way or another about him as a long term solution. I mean, injuries or not, the D had some bad games and plenty of flaws. I'm by ZERO means saying it was on him. The D seemingly started out well when healthy. I just feel like it was a lost season and while I think Desai MIGHT be good. It's not like I am upset he's gone.

It's incredibly difficult to get a good gauge on Desai. Not only because of injuries but also because we have some really talented players that can cover up for bullsh*t...as well as it's hard to piece together what they could be if our offense just provided some balance where it's not complete demoralization because it's all on the D every damn game.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's all on the D every damn game.
Yeah, there's a reason why we were the 6th overall D in terms of yardage and 22nd in points allowed. They were constantly backed up in their own territory after turnovers, 3 and outs, etc.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we're on the subject of the defense here's a detailed film breakdown on what Eberflus/Williams unit while look like.
What makes it so efficient is the use of Colts game footage while Matt was coaching Indy's D. Considering they never had any good pass rushers but finished in the top ten of many categories is most impressive. I can only imagine what he'll do with both Mack and Quinn?! I wouldn't be surprised if Khalil has a breakout season returning to his old pro bowl form.