• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Like It or Not..It's the Book on Romo

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm on crack, because I don't think switching the two helps Seattle at all.

You have to be because if you limit Romo's throws to near 400 like Russell Wilson the past two seasons, his efficiency would be sky high and his turnover rate in big games would go down. A legit running game to rely on along with a defense like that? It's silly to think this.

On a team like ours we can't win with Wilson and need a guy like Romo that can put up big numbers, but on a team like Seattle they are way better off with Wilson than Romo IMO.
The last thing they want from a QB is to throw away a game with a late mistake.
On a team like Seattle, Romo would not be constantly put in position to make a late mistake like he is with the Cowboys.

They need a QB to just get them some points and let the defense and running game win the game for them. A guy like Romo or Cutler would be the worst type of QB for them.
Russell Wilson had a higher interception% last year, had a much worse Sack%+, a worse int%+, and also led the NFL in fumbles. Russell Wilson was the more turnover prone QB of the two last season and was more prone to taking sacks yet his team won the SB and the Cowboys missed the playoffs once again. I don't see why Romo would be the worst type of quarterback for them when last year he was less turnover prone than Wilson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A SB would elevate Romo's legacy like no other QB. Since the main knock against him is that he chokes and makes the big mistake when the lights are the brightest, it would allow him to overcome that criticism forever. Unfortunately this team doesn't look like it is a SB contender so he may never get another chance.

Only to Cowboy fans and the most objective observers. Many still refuse to give Emmitt or Aikman their due. A more recent example would be Eli Manning.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The book on Romo to me is that he is criticized way too much for a quarterback that was undrafted, has never been elite, and has only been borderline top 10-15 at his position for his entire career.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has got to be the singularly most ignorant retarded comment I have ever heard on any chat site, ever.

Actually, I don't mind if you come run your mouth over here. I'm not a pussy like you and the rest of the Seattle board that cried like a bunch of bitches to Harold the mod to get me banned over there for simply stating the obvious. Wilson is an average talent playing with a great D and running game. Once Seattle starts paying a 5'10'' QB $20 million a year, they are going straight into the shitter.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm on crack, because I don't think switching the two helps Seattle at all. On a team like ours we can't win with Wilson and need a guy like Romo that can put up big numbers, but on a team like Seattle they are way better off with Wilson than Romo IMO. The last thing they want from a QB is to throw away a game with a late mistake. They need a QB to just get them some points and let the defense and running game win the game for them. A guy like Romo or Cutler would be the worst type of QB for them.

I suggest rehab for you then. Romo had a solid running game with Barber and a solid D and went 13-3. If you don't think Romo could have won a Super Bowl with Lynch and that D(and Coach), you know even less about football than I thought:L

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suggest rehab for you then. Romo had a solid running game with Barber and a solid D and went 13-3. If you don't think Romo could have won a Super Bowl with Lynch and that D(and Coach), you know even less about football than I thought:L

Yeah, And didn't win a playoff game that year. Not sure how that helps your argument when we are talking SB, not regular season success...

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks/Cowboys aside, Wilson is far better than Romo.

I don't think so. Seattle's passing game and offense struggled the last half of the season. Granted, Wilson has had a good couple of years, but the Seahawks defense is the key to the Seahawks at this point, not Wilson.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The book on Romo to me is that he is criticized way too much for a quarterback that was undrafted, has never been elite, and has only been borderline top 10-15 at his position for his entire career.

Coming from a guy who said many times that Romo will never win anything and we need to get rid of him your comments lately are confusing. I totally agree Romo is a top 10-15 QB. So why are we having a discussion as if he is elite and that it would be silly to compare him to a guy that just won SB and has yet to hit is prime? Top 15 is average when there are 32 starters. I think he is better than average and put him more in the top 10 range personally, but he has had more big game clunkers (not talking team, talking him) than he has had great games and that is what many Cowboy fans make excuses for. That is also the only type of QB that Seattle wouldn't want with their dominant defense and running game. They need a guy that is steady and won't make the big mistake even if it means he is only an average QB. But, you guys can't be objective and you only take that as a comparison of talent instead of style which is what any objective person would have read in the comments.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo all day

Assuming we are talking about going forward and not a one year or "right now" comparison...Taking everything into account, There is no way you can make a convincing case that taking a $100M, 34 year old QB coming off his second back surgery is better than Wilson. I think Romo is a better QB than Wilson right now, but he's almost done and the other guy has his whole career ahead of him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In many people's eyes you are correct. In my eyes he'd still be a very good QB with flaws.

I totally agree with you. I meant more how the broader perception of him would change. I'll say something else, IMO if he wins a SB he becomes an instant lock for the HOF which to me proves how good his career has been. Unfortunately for Cowboy fans it isnt likely that he wins a SB, but that's not really the point.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo from the start of the season to the end of November is usually a great QB with stats towards the top of the list. Being an undrafted rookie to becoming a starter is a successful story but for whatever reason he lacks the mental toughness in December and January. I don't know if it's fixable but maybe a different coaching staff with different ideas could help Romo out of that late season funk.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo from the start of the season to the end of November is usually a great QB with stats towards the top of the list. Being an undrafted rookie to becoming a starter is a successful story but for whatever reason he lacks the mental toughness in December and January. I don't know if it's fixable but maybe a different coaching staff with different ideas could help Romo out of that late season funk.

I really don't blame Romo for most of the losses he takes the blame for. I blame our coaches. Doesn't mean he hasn't blown a game all by himself (like every NFL QB) but he gets way more blame than he should.
Only reason we are even in some of those games is because of Romo. Romo carries the team. You have never been able to say that about Wilson. Your comparing apples to oranges. Wilson would be less successful on the cowboys team than Romo is. IMO. Romo can still succeed on a bad team, we may never know if Wilson can.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decisions made can't be overlooked and one assume the same decisions would be made by another QB. Not for an entire game and certainly not for an entire season

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is a difference between mental toughness and making bad choices in a game.

Romo's mental toughness was on display his last game in December.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The decisions made can't be overlooked and one assume the same decisions would be made by another QB. Not for an entire game and certainly not for an entire season

this is why I would never consider Romo elite.
but he gets put in these situation hell sometimes 3 times in a game because of coaching. Like the Coaches just assume he will pull it out of his ass. But when people compare Romo's failures to some other QBs. These other Qbs might find themselves in that situation 3 times in a year. Not just about every week like Romo does. So I don't see the comparisons as all that realistic. Who knows how these other QBs react if they are faced with the situation more times or if they know after (if they score) that the defense is just gonna give up a TD. I am pretty sure all these other QBs would force more trying to score a TD not a FG if they were forced with that mindset.

Just some of the comparisons are BS to me.

Him not winning a playoff game is because he plays for a shitty team not because he cant lead a team. Teams win playoff games not the QB. if a lot of these QBs he is being compared to played for our team they don't make the playoffs either.
Trust me I am not on the Romo is great bandwagon. He just eat a lot more crap than he deserves. the fact is we would have lost even more games if we had some of these QBs that get mentioned.
We would have flat out had horrible seasons not mediocre if we had eli on our team, with the team we have given romo.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least I now know how little football I know. Hopefully you can enlighten me and I can learn something. I'll be looking foward to you teaching me something and when you make a comment like that be ready to be called out over and over

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And please point out where I said Romo couldn't have won a SB with Seattle.

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is like a lot of QBs, gets more credit for the good and bad than he deserves. It's a team sport, and the team from the GM on down just isn't very good. They catch lighting in a bottle from time to time, but can't put it all together for a complete season.

I wish it was as simple as changing the QB, but this team needs a complete overhaul.

I do believe that Romo, on a good team with a good coach could be an elite player. When the team is playing well, he's fun to watch.