• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Length of deal holding up Alex Smith contract

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Length of deal holding up Alex Smith contract | ProFootballTalk

With five days to go before the start of free agency, the 49ers and quarterback Alex Smith still haven’t come to terms on a new contract leaving some to wonder about what is holding things up.

According to a report from Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, the length of the contract is a big snag. The 49ers have an offer on the table for Smith that’s reportedly for three years while Smith and agent Tom Condon are looking for a five-year pact. There’s also a difference in terms of the amount of guaranteed money, although that’s probably not totally exclusive from the length of the deal.

The fact that both sides want to make a long-term commitment to one another will probably wind up building a bridge over the gap between them before the start of free agency. That doesn’t mean it will absolutely happen, of course, but the 49ers have always seemed comfortable sticking with Smith and there’s no question that Smith is comfortable playing in the offense that Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman built around him last season.

Should Smith wind up shopping himself to other teams, Barrows points out that Scot McCloughan, the general manager who originally drafted Smith in San Francisco, is now working for the Seahawks. Seattle’s in the market for a quarterback and it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they might find a way to let Condon know that if Peyton Manning, who is also repped by Condon, doesn’t want to play for them that they’d be interested in making a play for Smith.

There’s still plenty of time for things to play out, but now we have some idea of what’s keeping Smith and the 49ers from reaffirming to one another.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Length of deal holding up Alex Smith contract | ProFootballTalk

With five days to go before the start of free agency, the 49ers and quarterback Alex Smith still haven’t come to terms on a new contract leaving some to wonder about what is holding things up.

According to a report from Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, the length of the contract is a big snag. The 49ers have an offer on the table for Smith that’s reportedly for three years while Smith and agent Tom Condon are looking for a five-year pact. There’s also a difference in terms of the amount of guaranteed money, although that’s probably not totally exclusive from the length of the deal.

The fact that both sides want to make a long-term commitment to one another will probably wind up building a bridge over the gap between them before the start of free agency. That doesn’t mean it will absolutely happen, of course, but the 49ers have always seemed comfortable sticking with Smith and there’s no question that Smith is comfortable playing in the offense that Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman built around him last season.

Should Smith wind up shopping himself to other teams, Barrows points out that Scot McCloughan, the general manager who originally drafted Smith in San Francisco, is now working for the Seahawks. Seattle’s in the market for a quarterback and it’s not out of the realm of possibility that they might find a way to let Condon know that if Peyton Manning, who is also repped by Condon, doesn’t want to play for them that they’d be interested in making a play for Smith.

There’s still plenty of time for things to play out, but now we have some idea of what’s keeping Smith and the 49ers from reaffirming to one another.

If the 49ers have a 3-year deal on the table for between 7.5 & 9 per year, Condon would be a fool to not advise Smith to sign. If we lose Smith to a bigger deal than that then it is addition by subtraction, IMO.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see him getting a long term deal within the next few days if this is the case. They should just split the difference and give him a 4 year deal. Although I expect a back loaded 5 year deal though.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe Alex's play warranted a 5 year "commitment", or even 4 years for that matter.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe Alex's play warranted a 5 year "commitment", or even 4 years for that matter.

Even though I am astonished that the 49ers are not making a play for Manning I'm kind of looking forward to seeing if Alex Smith continues to improve next year. He's grown on me a little.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I am astonished that the 49ers are not making a play for Manning I'm kind of looking forward to seeing if Alex Smith continues to improve next year. He's grown on me a little.

I hope so. :squeeze:

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way ill get over alex being back and not manning coming to sf is if mike Wallace is here. Hell even then ill be pissed they didn't make a run for manning

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only way ill get over alex being back and not manning coming to sf is if mike Wallace is here. Hell even then ill be pissed they didn't make a run for manning

It doesn't matter who they bring in. The bottom line is that the 49ers would be a much better team with Manning at Qb instead of Smith. Being this close to a Super Bowl team, it is inexcusable that the don't attempt to get him.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter who they bring in. The bottom line is that the 49ers would be a much better team with Manning at Qb instead of Smith. Being this close to a Super Bowl team, it is inexcusable that the don't attempt to get him.

I agree 100% but Wallace would help me get over it

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree 100% but Wallace would help me get over it

Do you think though that Wallace is the type of receiver that would excel in the 49ers' system? I'm not so sure. I'd prefer the Vincent Jackson type receiver. I'm just a little leery of Jackson's attitude and how it might not play with Harbaugh.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think though that Wallace is the type of receiver that would excel in the 49ers' system? I'm not so sure. I'd prefer the Vincent Jackson type receiver. I'm just a little leery of Jackson's attitude and how it might not play with Harbaugh.

I've watched alot if steelers since I got married wifes a fan. I can say Wallace is not just a guy who will run straight down field I've seen him run alot of routes across the middle as well. I've also seen ben chuck alot of passes down field just to be bailed out by wallace. I really think he could help this offense out tremendously.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've watched alot if steelers since I got married wifes a fan. I can say Wallace is not just a guy who will run straight down field I've seen him run alot of routes across the middle as well. I've also seen ben chuck alot of passes down field just to be bailed out by wallace. I really think he could help this offense out tremendously.

That's the type of receiver I thought he was and he would require a big strong-armed QB like Roethlisberger to get the ball downfield to him. Since you've watched him a lot, I'll bow to your judgement.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem with this scenario is that Alex Smith won't throw the ball in those situations. He'll either throw the ball away, or take the sack.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah agree. We the the absolute perfect team and position for Manning. Its amazing how close we got to the Superbowl with Alex Smith.

Its pretty disappointing every thing I'm hearing from our team how they arent really having interest in Manning and for some reason love Alex Smith.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah agree. We the the absolute perfect team and position for Manning. Its amazing how close we got to the Superbowl with Alex Smith.

Its pretty disappointing every thing I'm hearing from our team how they arent really having interest in Manning and for some reason love Alex Smith.

Smoke and mirrors, my friend. Smoke and mirrors.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

All this talk about Manning and so little about Alex... it does make me think that Alex is perhaps getting a little undervalued/underrated and Peyton is a little overrated.

There is also an assumption that a team will get Peyton in his prime but you are getting a 36 year old Peyton.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't necessarily disagree, but if we're talking 3 years of guaranteed money followed by 2 years of mostly non-guaranteed money I wouldn't call that a 5 year commitment at all. I'd call it a 3 year commitment with a 2 year option. I hope if it is a 5 year deal that's what is on the table.