• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Length of deal holding up Alex Smith contract

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith says he’s happy with 49ers’ offer, close to signing | ProFootballTalk

Despite reports that Alex Smith is unhappy about the 49ers only offering him a three-year contract, Smith says he’s perfectly content and expects to re-sign in San Francisco.

Smith told CBS5’s Kim Coyle that reports he demanded a five-year contract are “completely false.” In fact, Smith said he’s happy with the three-year contract the 49ers offered, and that he’s close to signing it.

Of course, being close to signing isn’t the same thing as being under contract. And with free agency starting on Tuesday afternoon, if Smith doesn’t sign within the next 27 hours he’ll be free to see if any other team is willing to offer him a better deal than the 49ers are willing to offer him.

But the reality is that while Smith is coming off a solid season, there probably isn’t another team planning to offer him a deal. The 49ers say they want Smith and Smith says he wants to be there, and that’s probably enough to get a deal done.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at the offers fitzpatrick and dirty sanchez got? flynn is a big risk and someone will overpay leaving smith sitting there. does a team desperate for a qb who missed out pull the trigger? kc, miami, seattle? i'm expecting cleveland to go tannehil with their pick in the 20s. i could see kc or seattle going for someone like foles in the 2nd round.

if miami doesn't go after flynn does that raise red flags about flynn? heck that could make smith the best of breed for the available qb class.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith says he’s happy with 49ers’ offer, close to signing | ProFootballTalk

Despite reports that Alex Smith is unhappy about the 49ers only offering him a three-year contract, Smith says he’s perfectly content and expects to re-sign in San Francisco.

Smith told CBS5’s Kim Coyle that reports he demanded a five-year contract are “completely false.” In fact, Smith said he’s happy with the three-year contract the 49ers offered, and that he’s close to signing it.

Of course, being close to signing isn’t the same thing as being under contract. And with free agency starting on Tuesday afternoon, if Smith doesn’t sign within the next 27 hours he’ll be free to see if any other team is willing to offer him a better deal than the 49ers are willing to offer him.

But the reality is that while Smith is coming off a solid season, there probably isn’t another team planning to offer him a deal. The 49ers say they want Smith and Smith says he wants to be there, and that’s probably enough to get a deal done.

OK, well there goes my dream of upgrading the QB position with Manning. I guess its time to get behind the 49ers signing two new WRs to help out Alex Smith or CK.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, well there goes my dream of upgrading the QB position with Manning. I guess its time to get behind the 49ers signing two new WRs to help out Alex Smith or CK.

draft dwayne allen, sign john carlson and go with 3 TE sets. heck 4 TE sets with delanie

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at the offers fitzpatrick and dirty sanchez got? flynn is a big risk and someone will overpay leaving smith sitting there. does a team desperate for a qb who missed out pull the trigger? kc, miami, seattle? i'm expecting cleveland to go tannehil with their pick in the 20s. i could see kc or seattle going for someone like foles in the 2nd round.

if miami doesn't go after flynn does that raise red flags about flynn? heck that could make smith the best of breed for the available qb class.

It should raise redflags. If his own Offensive Coordinator doesn't think he can be a starting QB, someone who's coached him his entire NFL Career, then you have to wonder.

Although, maybe the Dolphins were just doing some gamesmanship. Acting like they want Manning to make people ask this exact question, and then they'll have less competition for Flynn and can pick him up quickly tomorrow. For what it matters, ESPN's NFC North blogger said that Flynn had a better camp than Rodgers last season.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flynn is kinda like orton. tends to be streaky. but flynn also only comes with about 1 year of game film from college and he wasn't very impressive as a 5th year senior i believe?

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith said he is happy with the three-year contract being offered by the 49ers and is nearing a deal on the eve of free agency, CBS5 in San Francisco reported Sunday.

2012's notable free agents
Matt Flynn highlights a group of intriguing players waiting to hit the free agent market. Here's a list of some of the more notable ones. More ...
Calling reports of his demand for a five-year contract "completely false," Smith told CBS5 that his agent is finalizing the details of the deal.

“It’s going,” Smith said, via CBS5. “They know I want to be back. I think they want me back. It’s just a matter of working out the details…I’m just waiting for it to get done."

Niners owner and CEO Jed York sounded confident, too.

"Alex is trying to figure out what he wants to do," York said, via the San Jose Mercury News on Monday. "Good conversations going back and forth."

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha matt barrows messing with people

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In related news, Alex Smith says that reports of him signing a one year deal with the Browns is "completely false."