• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Length of deal holding up Alex Smith contract

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are we saying sign him for 5 years at $10-12M for this purpose?

No, no, no... and no. I meant from Seattle's perspective, it could help strap some wouldn't-have-spent money - even if it's a compromise at four years, 32 million or whatever. It couldn't hurt Seattle because they'd have a better QB than what they have (assuming they can't get Manning). From Alex's perspective, he'd either have more security or better team. From our perspective, we could balk at it or we could up our offer a little bit (i.e. negotiation, this wasn't their ceiling per se). We wouldn't have to go the whole way and we shouldn't. But it would possibly create more money signed up to a rival, from the Hawk's perspective. Portland Trailblazers did this to the Utah Jazz with Paul Millsap. Offered him too much, Jazz matched it and had less to use. We are a little different because we don't have to match.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is looking for security that he is the guy in San Francisco. That is what this is all about. I don't think the years on the contract is as big a sticking point as the guaranteed money. He wants a contract that will make it harder for the 49ers to just replace him after another season.

The 49ers on the other hand want to leave that door open obviously since they spent a 2nd round pick on Kaep.

I think Smith is an honest guy to where if he is not getting done he would gladly step aside for Kaep, but he doesn't want to have another good year and then suddenly end up being the backup just because the 49ers decided after 2 years it's time to start Kaep.

My sentiments exactly. I get why people don't want to sign him at all or for this long or for this much, etc. But I don't like how people suggest that he should just play along.

For one thing, negotiations are this way - one side offers less than they are willing and one side asks for more than they know they could get. It's just part of negotiation and I don't get why people think Alex's agent should do any different for his client. The Niners are more stickers-with-the-first-offer than most, but this is a two way street. Obviously, Alex is going to look for what he thinks he's worth to the franchise. Doesn't mean he's going to get it.

For another thing, why should Alex play along with the Niners plan to replace him? Why shouldn't he seek some assurances and make it at least a choice if they were to go with Kaepernick? Be upset with us signing him or whatever, but don't act like Alex should just sign the damn deal and be the pawn. He likely is the stopgap, but at this point, before he needs to, why resign to it? Be Kaep's cheerleader. From his perspective, he shouldn't make it easier for someone who hasn't seen the field much and hasn't gone through the struggle. I feel he will try his best to on-the-field block Kaepernick, but here, where he might be able to put some buffer on the switch, is the best time off the field to do this. I actually like this side of Smith because this is some confidence that many said he didn't have when he came back last year or when he restructured his deal.

There is a reality to this; Alex can't ask for the moon and the Niners are going to go with who they think is best, and next year or the next, that might be Kaepernick (heck, even this year), but this is what Alex should do. I hope he plays well next year, so well that Kaep's not needed. That would probably be the best for everyone but Kaep because that'd likely mean a SB with legitimate expectation for more (my definition of Kaep not being needed).

Last edited by a moderator:

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith visits Cardinals facility, expects to re-sign with 49ers

Quarterback Alex Smith made a visit Saturday to the Arizona Cardinals practice facility three days prior to the opening of the free-agent signing period.

So did Steve Young, by the way.

And free-agent Peyton Manning is reportedly meeting with Cardinals officials on Sunday.

Smith and Young took part in the annual "Ultimate Football Experience," a fundraiser for Kurt Warner's First Things First foundation. Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald was in attendance, but no Cardinals coaches were present, reports Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

The Cardinals are clearly in the market for a quarterback. Well, at least they're clearly in the market for a quarterback named Peyton Manning.

And Smith remains in the market for a new contract from the 49ers.

The 49ers currently have an a contract offer on the table for Smith, a source told CSNBayArea.com last week. Smith told Somers he is not disappointed in the 49ers' offer nor is he worried about the uncertainty.

When asked if he is confident the deal with the 49ers will get done soon, Smith told Somers, "I think so. It's just a process. It takes some time. It will get done."

Both sides have repeatedly stated a desire for the Smith-49ers union to enter an eighth season in 2012.

"We're all in lockstep as an organization that Alex Smith is our guy," coach Jim Harbaugh said last month.

Smith visits Cardinals facility, expects to re-sign with 49ers

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My sentiments exactly. I get why people don't want to sign him at all or for this long or for this much, etc. But I don't like how people suggest that he should just play along.

For one thing, negotiations are this way - one side offers less than they are willing and one side asks for more than they know they could get. It's just part of negotiation and I don't get why people think Alex's agent should do any different for his client. The Niners are more stickers-with-the-first-offer than most, but this is a two way street. Obviously, Alex is going to look for what he thinks he's worth to the franchise. Doesn't mean he's going to get it.

For another thing, why should Alex play along with the Niners plan to replace him? Why shouldn't he seek some assurances and make it at least a choice if they were to go with Kaepernick? Be upset with us signing him or whatever, but don't act like Alex should just sign the damn deal and be the pawn. He likely is the stopgap, but at this point, before he needs to, why resign to it? Be Kaep's cheerleader. From his perspective, he shouldn't make it easier for someone who hasn't seen the field much and hasn't gone through the struggle. I feel he will try his best to on-the-field block Kaepernick, but here, where he might be able to put some buffer on the switch, is the best time off the field to do this. I actually like this side of Smith because this is some confidence that many said he didn't have when he came back last year or when he restructured his deal.

There is a reality to this; Alex can't ask for the moon and the Niners are going to go with who they think is best, and next year or the next, that might be Kaepernick (heck, even this year), but this is what Alex should do. I hope he plays well next year, so well that Kaep's not needed. That would probably be the best for everyone but Kaep because that'd likely mean a SB with legitimate expectation for more (my definition of Kaep not being needed).

well said

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex: We are working out the Details

San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Alex Smith told CBS5’s Kim Coyle tonight that reports of his demand for a five-year contract are “completely false,” and that he’s happy with the three year deal offered by the 49ers. Smith said his agent and the 49ers are working out the details and that he expects to sign a new contract with San Francisco.

I don't believe that his agent wasn't asking for 5 years or more guaranteed money. And I think the reasons I stated in the post above are the reasons. But I can see that he might not have been "demanding" years or considering leaving. I could also see this as a PR "don't worry, I'm working in good faith" or a PR "I didn't cave - there's no conflict here (when there really was)". I know SF has the leverage - but if this were a leverage thing, he could have waited to get Seattle to promote some threat. I don't know what to think of this as I clearly felt he was not rolling over and that he shouldn't. I suspect his agent and he privately pushed for more, but publicly he has stepped down - though he's implying that there was nowhere to step down from because there was no issue. Maybe he said "happy with the discussions", and not "happy with the three years", but the five years being completely false is silly. I still wouldn't be surprised if there is some compromise, even fluff for PR, despite him saying he was happy with the initial offer. The Niners might want to correct some of the negative implications of the "snag" but not Sanchez-style fixing.

Those hoping to move on from Smith wouldn't like this because they'd be hoping for a stubborn Smith to hold out, forcing him to test the market and leave or come back for less. Those hoping for Smith to be steadfast in his confidence will either see him back down or it might be true that he was not sticking up for himself after all. Those who want Manning, well, the quicker the signing the lesser the chance of it happening. Yes, even less than before.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex: We are working out the Details

I don't believe that his agent wasn't asking for 5 years or more guaranteed money. And I think the reasons I stated in the post above are the reasons. But I can see that he might not have been "demanding" years or considering leaving. I could also see this as a PR "don't worry, I'm working in good faith" or a PR "I didn't cave - there's no conflict here (when there really was)". I know SF has the leverage - but if this were a leverage thing, he could have waited to get Seattle to promote some threat. I don't know what to think of this as I clearly felt he was not rolling over and that he shouldn't. I suspect his agent and he privately pushed for more, but publicly he has stepped down - though he's implying that there was nowhere to step down from because there was no issue. Maybe he said "happy with the discussions", and not "happy with the three years", but the five years being completely false is silly. I still wouldn't be surprised if there is some compromise, even fluff for PR, despite him saying he was happy with the initial offer. The Niners might want to correct some of the negative implications of the "snag" but not Sanchez-style fixing.

Those hoping to move on from Smith wouldn't like this because they'd be hoping for a stubborn Smith to hold out, forcing him to test the market and leave or come back for less. Those hoping for Smith to be steadfast in his confidence will either see him back down or it might be true that he was not sticking up for himself after all. Those who want Manning, well, the quicker the signing the lesser the chance of it happening. Yes, even less than before.

Darn, editing time.

... Sanchez-style fixing. They certainly don't need to because 1) Alex is not in the position to demand and 2) he basically said right here there was nothing for the Niners to make up for.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Alex Smith told CBS5’s Kim Coyle tonight that reports of his demand for a five-year contract are “completely false,” and that he’s happy with the three year deal offered by the 49ers. Smith said his agent and the 49ers are working out the details and that he expects to sign a new contract with San Francisco.

Well, that is certainly good news. At least we aren't being forced into a 5 year deal.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that is certainly good news. At least we aren't being forced into a 5 year deal.

I'm ok with this as long as we do something like sign Randy Moss to a 1 year cheap deal and get Wallace with a multi year.

Now that Alex Smith is nearly signed this team better ***** do something about recievers. I really think Wallace is the guy to go after because of him being good friends with Crabtree and I think he can spark Crabtree possibly to start getting the ball rolling. Not to mention Wallace is fast as hell and would make this offense finally fun to watch.

And for God sake please get rid of Kyle Williams so there is NO chance he screws this winning team over again :boxing:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with this as long as we do something like sign Randy Moss to a 1 year cheap deal and get Wallace with a multi year.

Now that Alex Smith is nearly signed this team better ***** do something about recievers. I really think Wallace is the guy to go after because of him being good friends with Crabtree and I think he can spark Crabtree possibly to start getting the ball rolling. Not to mention Wallace is fast as hell and would make this offense finally fun to watch.

And for God sake please get rid of Kyle Williams so there is NO chance he screws this winning team over again :boxing:

With Ginn going to market it is a distinct possibility Williams be called upon to handle return duties

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith's deal all but done?
11:18 AM ET
Alex Smith | 49ers

The lack of a signed contract between the San Francisco 49ers and QB Alex Smith led to some speculation last week that the Niners were in the mix for Peyton Manning. While it's still not impossible that the Niners land the former Colts QB, a new report indicates that Smith is on the cusp of renewing his deal with Jim Harbaugh's team.

Smith has told Kim Coyle of CBS 5 (San Francisco) that he's happy with the term of the contract offered by the club (three years), and that working out the final details is all that remains. The free agency period begins on Tuesday afternoon at 4 p.m. EST, after which point Smith can market his services to other interested teams.

In the event that Smith leaves -- however unlikely that may be -- it is not believed that the Niners will turn their attention to Matt Flynn, but rather Josh Johnson, who was Harbaugh's QB back in his University of San Diego days.

- Tim Kavanagh

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Report: Smith happy with three-year deal 49ers have offered

So it comes down to money. Hopefully we are lowballing him especially since I don't see another team meeting his demands. We need cap space for the rest of the team.

The Niners were said to offer 8-11 million (prior to the Saints game) so that would work out to 24-33 million. So I wonder if Alex would take the 24 if they could guarantee closer to 20 vs. 33 and quaranteeing closer to 10. The numbers are for illustrative purposes only. I thought the reason he was asking for longer and higher guaranteed was to make it harder to switch to Kaep. Now that he's not asking for longer, the guaranteed has to go up? Or is he happy with the whole thing? What are the 'details'? His locker being at least three spots away from Crabtree? ;) Parking space next to Harbaugh so he can shine his car before he leaves?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, enough of the Josh Johnson talks lol...

If we don't resign Alex, fine. Bring up Optimus and rollout!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
3 year deal is ok with me, but the thing that is a bit odd about it is Kaepernick also has 3 years left.

So both guys' contracts will be up at the same time. Might make it hard to decide what to do 3 years from now? Do you let Smith walk, and hand it over to CK without ever seeing CK on the field?

Can CK win the job by his third year which would then make Alex Smith a real expensive backup, in which case do you cut Alex?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 year deal is ok with me, but the thing that is a bit odd about it is Kaepernick also has 3 years left.

So both guys' contracts will be up at the same time. Might make it hard to decide what to do 3 years from now? Do you let Smith walk, and hand it over to CK without ever seeing CK on the field?

Can CK win the job by his third year which would then make Alex Smith a real expensive backup, in which case do you cut Alex?

Most people will see the three year deal and say, "they are going with Kaepernick in two-three years." But what this deal says to me is that they are keeping their options open. Two would have been worse obviously for Smith.

They would presumably want someone signed beyond 2015. So if Alex improves sufficiently, the Niners might extend after a year or two, before the last contract year. That might mean the end of the Kaepernick for starter status. If Alex regresses this year, Kaep will get his turn in 2013 with Alex as the backup for one year before being cut in 2014-15. After 2013, if Kaep succeeds they will extend before the last contract year begins. One of these two situations will likely occur with the smaller chance that everyone underwhelms and we have no starter heading into 2015 offseason. There's a chance that Smith plays well enough to keep the starter job through three years but Kaep is just better, in which that'll be the time to make an offer to Kaep (I view this differently than an extension). I don't see them extending Kaep (unless it's for bench money) while Alex is starting well enough to start. If Kaep is to be extended, they might as well put him in. You're paying both either way if it gets to that last year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I imagine year 3 for Alex would be cuttable fluff making it a two year deal with a team option third year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine year 3 for Alex would be cuttable fluff making it a two year deal with a team opting third year.

Which is why I was sure he was going for four years by asking for five. I didn't get it initially (because I thought Kaep was signed for four more). But knowing that Kaep's deal is 3 more, not four, it makes a little more sense. It isn't Alex per se resigning to Kaep taking over. If Kaep had four more, I'd be shaking my head at Alex (even though a cuttable three is virtually the same thing). You need to have the cuttable year match the current CK deal to make sense from Alex's perspective (even though every year technically is cuttable). Then, there's that pesky thing about outplaying Kaep. (Steve Martin on stand-up performances: "I worried about the sound system, ambient noise, hecklers, drunks, lighting, sudden clangs, latecomers, and loud talkers, not to mention the nagging concern 'Is this funny?'")

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nice to see nobody is worried about the contract and everything will come together soon.

I really don't agree with people saying Smith has no leverage, and shouldn't be able to negotiate from any position of strength. Obviously he wouldn't be in huge demand, maybe even behind Flynn on wishlists, but he would *easily* find a job. We see all the teams still in the market for QB with this Manning chase, most will end up disappointed, and a few of those teams will end up with nothing. Smith would find nicely-paid work if he wanted to test the waters.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see nobody is worried about the contract and everything will come together soon.

I really don't agree with people saying Smith has no leverage, and shouldn't be able to negotiate from any position of strength. Obviously he wouldn't be in huge demand, maybe even behind Flynn on wishlists, but he would *easily* find a job. We see all the teams still in the market for QB with this Manning chase, most will end up disappointed, and a few of those teams will end up with nothing. Smith would find nicely-paid work if he wanted to test the waters.

If a team out there is willing to pay Smith more than the $8-11 we have on the table then they can have him. Get Manning on a plane.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If a team out there is willing to pay Smith more than the $8-11 we have on the table then they can have him. Get Manning on a plane.

I hope the Dolphins are willing to pay Alex $15M/year. :-)