• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron will opt out and sign with the Clippers

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I could see that. It is better for the league to have Lebron on the east coast.

I have a feeling this will be the main reason why he doesn't go to the west :lol:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know LBJ said that money would not be an issue no matter where he signs but LAC would have to go into the red quite a bit or lose some of their power...

They could possibly restructure deals however, not sure exactly how buy outs work but probably not like that.

I know OP was trolling but the LAC have a lot of draw for LBJ.

PROS:

-Awesome young Center defensive oriented.
-Awesome young PF, could learn a ton from LBJ
-LBJ would be plug and play over Matt Barnes.
-They are healthier (and younger) over GSW
-1 of his best buddies is CP3
-CP3 and LBJ could run some sick pick and roll crap and kick to any shooter or each other
-LA got that media and hollywood shit LBJ has shown an interest in
-Stick it to Kobe by winning ring in LA
-Despite BOS, Doc and LBJ have a good, professional relationship
-Overlapping skill sets would not matter because the team would be so amazingly balanced

CONS:
-CP3 and LBJ both like the ball
-You would basically have the best PG and 2nd best PG on the same team, so a lot of overlapping strengths, not unlike MIA

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to add as awesome as MIA and Riley is, LBJ knows that the power of the GM is limited, especially when the player (LBJ) is willing to take less money to win.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ballmer laying down a cool $2 billion, he may be hard pressed to come up with the kind of money it would take to lure in Lebron.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know LBJ said that money would not be an issue no matter where he signs but LAC would have to go into the red quite a bit or lose some of their power...

They could possibly restructure deals however, not sure exactly how buy outs work but probably not like that.

I know OP was trolling but the LAC have a lot of draw for LBJ.

PROS:

-Awesome young Center defensive oriented.
-Awesome young PF, could learn a ton from LBJ
-LBJ would be plug and play over Matt Barnes.
-They are healthier (and younger) over GSW
-1 of his best buddies is CP3
-CP3 and LBJ could run some sick pick and roll crap and kick to any shooter or each other
-LA got that media and hollywood shit LBJ has shown an interest in
-Stick it to Kobe by winning ring in LA
-Despite BOS, Doc and LBJ have a good, professional relationship
-Overlapping skill sets would not matter because the team would be so amazingly balanced

CONS:
-CP3 and LBJ both like the ball
-You would basically have the best PG and 2nd best PG on the same team, so a lot of overlapping strengths, not unlike MIA

I would add that CP3 is a better compliment to LBJ than Wade. CP3 is good 3 point shooter, something Wade is NOT. Having CP3's 3 point shooting prowess would spread the floor for Wade even more. And like I said before, Wade needs the ball just as much as CP3 so I don't see any real adjustment for James there.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Ballmer laying down a cool $2 billion, he may be hard pressed to come up with the kind of money it would take to lure in Lebron.

I'm sure Ballmer would give him the max which he could easily afford. Of course, the bargaining agreement allows Miami to offer more, I think. Florida also has no state tax if recollect correctly, so miami has that advantage too. However, most of that would probably offset with the added endorsement he would most likely receive being in a huge market like LA

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't rest on your laurels forever, things will have to change in Miami sooner or later. The fact that your team went to 4 straight finals doesn't mean that Wade isn't still breaking down and the Bosh isn't soft. It's like driving around on bald tires and saying I never got into an accident for the last year so I shouldn't have to change my tires out.

Miami isn't resting on their laurels. They just made a 4th straight finals. They are still establishing the laurels they may rest on later.

Now that they've made the finals for the 4th straight season, win or lose, I think Lebron comes back. If they win, he'll want to come back and see if they can get 4 straight. If they lose, he'll want to come back to redeem himself and his team.

About the only way I see him moving on is if the Heat get swept and lose every game by 20+ or if Riley and D-Wade retire.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, however, I think Riley is actually a poor GM and really hasn't made great decision, he only has looked good because Lebron is on the Heat and has a decent supporting cast for once in his life.

:L You realize that Riley is the one that put that supporting cast together, right?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think having the best player on the plant and loads of money usually equates to greatness. None of those teams you mention have the MVP of the world on their team.

Having the best player in the world doesn't mean much if you don't have the pieces to put around them. Lebron was the best player in the world for a few of his years in Cleveland, but didn't win anything because Cleveland's ownership couldn't figure out how to put a decent roster around him.

During 3 of the years that Kobe was the best player in the world, the Lakers missed the playoffs once and had 2 first round exits.

MJ was the best player in the world for at least 2-3 years before the Bulls got their first title.

You are basing your prediction on who the Clippers have now. They would have to lose a good chunk of what makes them good now to fit Lebron under the cap. If they don't replace them with the right players, having Lebron won't get the Clips much, if any, farther than they got the last 2 years.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Ballmer would give him the max which he could easily afford. Of course, the bargaining agreement allows Miami to offer more, I think. Florida also has no state tax if recollect correctly, so miami has that advantage too. However, most of that would probably offset with the added endorsement he would most likely receive being in a huge market like LA

I think the media draw, sponsorship/endorsement deals would be huge for Lebron in L.A. I'm sure that Ballmer also has some pretty big guns he can bring in to try and lure Lebron to L.A. It will be a very interesting off season for sure.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ballmer paid 2 Billion for the team, so it seems he is willing to spend. Do you think cheap Sterling would pay that much for a team?

Of course, you are right that it doesn't automatically make you a winner by spending money but it is a large part of the equation.
By him spending 2 billion, just wait till the next CBA is due. Players will be pointing at the amount spent for the Clipps, 550mil for the Bucks and will be saying "we deserve / want more money!!!"

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Trojan stated, to make it work, the Clippers would have to give up a lot.

Then factor in how much tougher the West is, just to reach the Finals.

Not happening.

Why would the Clippers have to give up anything? If LeBron ops out, he is as FA. No trade needed.

One thing the Heat need to do is get another scorer. Wade will miss more games next year. You can't run LeBron into the ground all season. He needs rest. The Heat (LeBron & Wade) have played as shit load of basketball the last 4 years. Which includes Team USA. I'm hoping they see the big picture with all of them taking a big pay cut. Say $10M per. They realize they need guys around them.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Clippers have to give up anything? If LeBron ops out, he is as FA. No trade needed.

A little thing called the salary cap. The Clippers currently have 12 players under contract (3 with player options) for $76mil. Even if those three opt out, their payroll is over $70mil. Lebron would have to take a severe paycut to sign as a FA.

I'm not sure a sign and trade can work given the payroll situation of both teams. I'm pretty sure with the current CBA, one of the teams participating in a sign and trade has to be below the salary cap.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By him spending 2 billion, just wait till the next CBA is due. Players will be pointing at the amount spent for the Clipps, 550mil for the Bucks and will be saying "we deserve / want more money!!!"

It will certainly be a lot harder to convince the players that a lot of teams are losing money after what these two teams sold for.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing the Heat need to do is get another scorer. Wade will miss more games next year. You can't run LeBron into the ground all season. He needs rest. The Heat (LeBron & Wade) have played as shit load of basketball the last 4 years. Which includes Team USA. I'm hoping they see the big picture with all of them taking a big pay cut. Say $10M per. They realize they need guys around them.

Clips are over the cap. They would have to dump salary to add Lebron. Lebron will sign for less to win rings, but he's not signing for some mid-level exception or vets minimum which is about all the Clips could offer him.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L You realize that Riley is the one that put that supporting cast together, right?

pffft....that supporting cast is marginal at best. The heat have been winning in spite of that weak supporting cast.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having the best player in the world doesn't mean much if you don't have the pieces to put around them. Lebron was the best player in the world for a few of his years in Cleveland, but didn't win anything because Cleveland's ownership couldn't figure out how to put a decent roster around him.

During 3 of the years that Kobe was the best player in the world, the Lakers missed the playoffs once and had 2 first round exits.

MJ was the best player in the world for at least 2-3 years before the Bulls got their first title.

You are basing your prediction on who the Clippers have now. They would have to lose a good chunk of what makes them good now to fit Lebron under the cap. If they don't replace them with the right players, having Lebron won't get the Clips much, if any, farther than they got the last 2 years.

Lebron never had a legit #2 star next to him in Cleveland. In LA he would have 2. Stop comparing the Cavs to LA, it is very laughable.

Kobe was never the best player in the world.

What makes the Clips good is Blake and CP3, the rest are very replaceable role players.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the media draw, sponsorship/endorsement deals would be huge for Lebron in L.A. I'm sure that Ballmer also has some pretty big guns he can bring in to try and lure Lebron to L.A. It will be a very interesting off season for sure.

Yup, Ballmer will make a very enticing offer to Lebron which he will have a tough time refusing.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little thing called the salary cap. The Clippers currently have 12 players under contract (3 with player options) for $76mil. Even if those three opt out, their payroll is over $70mil. Lebron would have to take a severe paycut to sign as a FA.

I'm not sure a sign and trade can work given the payroll situation of both teams. I'm pretty sure with the current CBA, one of the teams participating in a sign and trade has to be below the salary cap.

They can trade Deandre to a team with cap room, that will shed roughly 11 Million