• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lamar Jackson???

Should our team be seriously active in pursuing Lamar Jackson?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • 2. No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle should have offered 20. If another team wants to steal him, then so be it.

Daboll is wrong. When you overpay one guy, you lose out on others.

The amount of QBs that can win is large. It reduces dramatically when the QB eats up 20% of the cap.

I think SF proved something very different last season. You can take a smart QB with limited upside to great places…especially if they don’t get hurt.
The question is then how does SEA reproduce 4,000 yards and 30 TDs if Smith walks after being insulted? What options do they have?

There are no sure things in the draft this year. This is the 3rd year with a subpar QB class. Teams are now having to look within the league for solutions at QB. Who will replace Smith? Will Levis? How does Carroll explain to the owner that he wanted to set an example and did not offer Smith market value?

I agree that the QB salaries are outrageous. Unless the owners collude and put their foot down on bloated QB contracts, what else can they do? Its not like they can tell the agents to stop doing their job. If SEA and NYG let Smith and Jones walk...then they become one of the bottom feeders still looking for that golden ticket QB. The worst problem in the NFL is to have no QB. We have been in this pit for years now. We are still trying to figure it out with along 4-5 other teams.

I think the SF example is a corner case for a few reasons. They have the best or 2nd best offensive mind in the game, they have the best defense in the league, they had a superior OLine with a premier LT, they have a top 3 TE, and they have talent all over the place. To your point, they did take a smart QB with limited upside and win...however....they had several items in place to make it happen. Most teams in the league do NOT have all of those components in place to help a smart, limited QB be successful.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Saying we are irrelevant or rarely make the playoffs is not an argument for doing something unless you believe LJ is the cure, not just some other QB may be the cure. With SH, you have no idea what you really have. He is 1-0 after not being given much of a chance. SH may surprise the team and give us competent QB play.

It's a QB-driven league, let's remember that and Lamar Jackson is a top QB in the league whether some choose to believe that or not. If we were to list all of the young QBs in the NFL including the very best of them, there are ONLY two of them that have won the league MVP award. (Mahomes/Jackson) I categorically disagree with any and all assertions that "we don't know what we have in Sam Howell" We absolutely know what we have in him which is a long shot 5th round draft choice that our moderator has repeatedly (correctly so) stated the fact that players coming from this draft position usually end up as backups. What we don't know about Howell is how well he will function in this offense. What too many are banking on is a range somewhere between Heinicke, Cousins, and Brady. I am convinced that being another Brady is out and have very serious doubts about him being another Cousins. Can he be better? Maybe but the odds are against him being what Cousins has become, serviceable.

2- I agree there is an argument for LJ being the highest paid, just like KC was. I find both arguments foolish. Mahommes should be the highest paid. He wins SBs and is the MVP. Daniel Jones and Geno Smith getting 30 million is disgraceful and desperate.

I well remember those debates about what the market dictates during Kirk's time here and, to be honest, was convinced that you were a free-market kind of guy. No??? (if not I stand corrected) I do not disagree with your statement about Mahomes, but don't the contracts of Smith and Jones support the free market argument?

3- Every season is potentially better than last.

While I don't disagree with this in theory, Washington under any team name is one of the safest bets in NFL history with regard to season finishes. Hope being everlasting, every team in the league potentially has a chance to be better in a new season than the previous one but is that our lived reality? In fact, 7-9, 7-9, and 8-8-1 fit in very nicely with where history and predictability say this team will finish any given season. The aberration has been those SB years. I know this because prior to that the seasonal finishes, even with Jurgensen, Mitchell, Taylor, Smith, and Co were almost always last in the division.

Lamar Jackson would instantly make this team better than starting SH. I don’t question that. It would also set the team back years. I saw the silliness earlier talking about how LJ would encourage other FAS to come to DC. It wouldn’t. Money encourages them. Even if a player did encourage others, LJ would not. Like I said, LJ has had a singular season over 3k yards. Why would any WR come here for that and why would we pay the WR we want? Paying LJ would mean losing other players. LJ relies on his legs, that is why you do not sign him and why he will not get a fully guaranteed contract. No franchise can risk a five year set back and I guarantee LJ won’t be healthier as his career continues. Even he knows this, and that is why he abandoned his team.

How does a team get better and gets set back years at the same time?

A well-functioning organization that pays attracts players. There are a limited number of jobs in the league and that alone guarantees employees. Having a top-of-the-line QB doesn't hurt your chances of making playoff runs either and beyond money players want to WIN!

Lamar has never been given the same supporting cast as Burrows, Herbert, Tua, Stafford, Any current SF QB, Mahomes, Dak, Hurts, and Allen, among many others. Washington has a really nice running game, and two real nice WRs in McLaurin and the budding #1 Jahan Dotson, add Samuel and a pass-catching TE to the mix, and for the first time in his career, he'll get close to the luxury that these others enjoy.

Yards are yards they all add up to the same thing and are MORE meaningful if the defense has to account for them from another source.

He won't get a guaranteed contract for one reason and one reason alone... the league is drawing a line at not making them typical.

Finally, no team could ever be set back 5 years if they know what they're doing and understand how best to deal with setbacks. He never abandoned his team, they failed him and it seems that they want what a lot of our posters want, all of the reward and none of the risk.

It is a QB driven league but that doesn’t make the Redskins’ history relevant. Either decisions are good or they are bad.

Yes, Mahommes and LJ are two that have won the MVP. Cases can be made that other players in each of those years were more deserving. What can’t be argued is that in the three seasons since LJ won the MVP is that he has been close to that player.

As for SH, draft position is overrated. The likes of Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, and Brock Purdee have proven this. You don’t know what a player is until they have been given a shot.

Those were great discussions about KC. I remember talking about the 19 million and was on both sides of the fence at different points during the debate. Hindsight screams we should have paid him 19 million per season when we had the chance. The market was completely different for KC bc he was franchised twice. That is an entirely different market. That is the wonderful thing about the non-exclusive tag…you get to see the actual market value of a player. I really don’t see the contracts of Smith/Jones being the idea of the market but rather of desperation. No other team would have offered either player those contracts, granted the details may be a little different.

A team gets better because the QB is currently a safer bet during that season. Day one in Washington, LJ would be better than SH. Come week 3, LJ’s season has a higher chance at being over than almost every QB in the league. The moment LJ gets hurt again, which is an inevitability, SH immediately becomes a better bet. If, no when, LJ gets hurt, his long term prospects immediately go downhill. LJ would be nothing without his legs…just ask RG3.

If you give a 50 million dollar QB all those surrounding players, he will immediately lose those supporting players. Just ask Tyreek Hill who he would rather have growing the ball. Why would a team spend that much on a supporting cast of pass catchers when LJ grows less than almost every other QB?

Yards aren’t all the same when you speak of longevity in a QB…ask the RBs.

If you give a QB 50 mil/year, all guaranteed, then yes you are screwing your organization for years to come. Hell yes he did. When you are in the playoffs and you decide not to show up, that is abandonment. You even said players should play through pain.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Fluke season???" yeah ok, here are the facts...

1. His Wrs were Miles Boykin, Marquise Brown, Chris Moore, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott, Willie Snead, and De'Anthony Thomas, heard of any of them in conversation related to reliable targets? His best receiver was TE Mark Andrews and once defenses began to take him away all he had left were his legs. This same situation hasn't changed to this day!

2. There is not one QB or player in the game who is not one injury away from not being available for his team, you know this!
I've already addressed SH who is also a runner.

3. Our team is one that features defense in a league that is constructed to be a passing one. An early and easy prediction for the 2023 season as currently constructed, is somewhere between 7, 8, and 9 wins.

4. FEAR is based on emotion and danger, and on this subject "reasonable reality" is the perception of both.
Other than TM, we don’t have a reliable WR either. Dotson has proven nothing…but I do like him.

Yes, any player can get hurt, but there is a greater statistical opportunity from somebody who gets tackled more.

Well, SF features a pretty good defense. Had SF not lost three QBs, perhaps Mahommes would have lost.

Basing things on likelihood and long term results is not fear. I have no emotion in this…but it sounds like you do.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is then how does SEA reproduce 4,000 yards and 30 TDs if Smith walks after being insulted? What options do they have?

There are no sure things in the draft this year. This is the 3rd year with a subpar QB class. Teams are now having to look within the league for solutions at QB. Who will replace Smith? Will Levis? How does Carroll explain to the owner that he wanted to set an example and did not offer Smith market value?

I agree that the QB salaries are outrageous. Unless the owners collude and put their foot down on bloated QB contracts, what else can they do? Its not like they can tell the agents to stop doing their job. If SEA and NYG let Smith and Jones walk...then they become one of the bottom feeders still looking for that golden ticket QB. The worst problem in the NFL is to have no QB. We have been in this pit for years now. We are still trying to figure it out with along 4-5 other teams.

I think the SF example is a corner case for a few reasons. They have the best or 2nd best offensive mind in the game, they have the best defense in the league, they had a superior OLine with a premier LT, they have a top 3 TE, and they have talent all over the place. To your point, they did take a smart QB with limited upside and win...however....they had several items in place to make it happen. Most teams in the league do NOT have all of those components in place to help a smart, limited QB be successful.

Next man up. SF did it this last season and that has always been the NE monicker.

There is never a sure thing…still think Trevor Lawrence is not going to live up to the hype. Absolutely Levis or another rookie. Carroll justifies not signing Geno by stating the fact that Geno is simply not worth the price...and is that the actual market for a career backup who fell into the starting job?

Jones and Smith were both bottom feeders and Wentz was not. How did that work out? Maybe we should have signed Smith for his bargain price last season. Do you think Smith or Jones will perform to the same level next season?

Great OL and great defense…Kittle is overrated but still may not change your opinion of third. Third string QB…all I am saying. And he was drafted far after SH who was thought of as a first round pick the prior year.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a QB driven league but that doesn’t make the Redskins’ history relevant. Either decisions are good or they are bad.

Yes, Mahommes and LJ are two that have won the MVP. Cases can be made that other players in each of those years were more deserving. What can’t be argued is that in the three seasons since LJ won the MVP is that he has been close to that player.

As for SH, draft position is overrated. The likes of Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, and Brock Purdee have proven this. You don’t know what a player is until they have been given a shot.

Those were great discussions about KC. I remember talking about the 19 million and was on both sides of the fence at different points during the debate. Hindsight screams we should have paid him 19 million per season when we had the chance. The market was completely different for KC bc he was franchised twice. That is an entirely different market. That is the wonderful thing about the non-exclusive tag…you get to see the actual market value of a player. I really don’t see the contracts of Smith/Jones being the idea of the market but rather of desperation. No other team would have offered either player those contracts, granted the details may be a little different.

A team gets better because the QB is currently a safer bet during that season. Day one in Washington, LJ would be better than SH. Come week 3, LJ’s season has a higher chance at being over than almost every QB in the league. The moment LJ gets hurt again, which is an inevitability, SH immediately becomes a better bet. If, no when, LJ gets hurt, his long term prospects immediately go downhill. LJ would be nothing without his legs…just ask RG3.

If you give a 50 million dollar QB all those surrounding players, he will immediately lose those supporting players. Just ask Tyreek Hill who he would rather have growing the ball. Why would a team spend that much on a supporting cast of pass catchers when LJ grows less than almost every other QB?

Yards aren’t all the same when you speak of longevity in a QB…ask the RBs.

If you give a QB 50 mil/year, all guaranteed, then yes you are screwing your organization for years to come. Hell yes he did. When you are in the playoffs and you decide not to show up, that is abandonment. You even said players should play through pain.
Your first two points aren't based on reality... Washington's history is relevant because that is what it was and it remains exactly the same today. What's past is prologue, my friend. As for more deserving recipients, tell me what actually was the outcome of those MVP votes. That's sort of like saying, the parade will be held next week celebrating our SB victory because we were more deserving of that championship than Kansas City.

Brady is the lone exception to the rule, Wilson and Purdy are products of brilliant football minds at work.

I still disagree with paying Cousins because now we have proof of it going nowhere. Stability is a nice thing to have, but if there was a poll taken I'd bet that the vast majority would rather have championships! This is why Minnesota is now debating what to do about their QB position.

Vikings Trade Proposal Flips Cousins For 49ers Trey Lance

What is the timeline for a decision on Kirk Cousins? - Sports ...

5 reasons why the Vikings should consider trading Kirk Cousins in …

OK, so beyond Lamar check out this incomplete list...

SF using Jimmy G, Trey Lance, and Brock Purdy all had season/playoff-ending injuries. Stafford had a season-ending injury, and the Colts' Nick Foles was carted off of the field after a blind-side hit. Teddy Bridgewater broke his finger and was lost for the rest of the season, Jalen Hurts sprained his shoulder and missed games, Ryan Tannehill injured his ankle and didn't return, Kyler Murray's season ended with an injury, Matt Ryan lost time because of a shoulder injury, Wince fractured a finger and never returned to awful (he got worse), Daniel jones high ankle sprain caused him to miss time, Mac Jones was out 4-6 weeks with an injury, Justin Herbert fractured ribs and lost time, Dak Prescott fractured a thumb and missed time, and there were several QBs who missed time because of concussions.

This sort of fear reminds me of the mom who wrapped her child in bubble wrap because he was going outside to play!

When the organization SAYS that it supports a player and wants him to remain on their team, especially one who epitomizes what Baltimore is, then refuses to pay him what he's worth as determined by the market they have lied and abandoned him. The NFL is a pay-to-play league, that is a fact! Playing through pain is one thing, but playing at the risk of your career without proper compensation is an entirely different animal. Negotiations with Baltimore isn't something new, they have been "trying" to reach a new deal with him for well over a year now!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next man up. SF did it this last season and that has always been the NE monicker.

There is never a sure thing…still think Trevor Lawrence is not going to live up to the hype. Absolutely Levis or another rookie. Carroll justifies not signing Geno by stating the fact that Geno is simply not worth the price...and is that the actual market for a career backup who fell into the starting job?

Jones and Smith were both bottom feeders and Wentz was not. How did that work out? Maybe we should have signed Smith for his bargain price last season. Do you think Smith or Jones will perform to the same level next season?

Great OL and great defense…Kittle is overrated but still may not change your opinion of third. Third string QB…all I am saying. And he was drafted far after SH who was thought of as a first round pick the prior year.
I agree with the next-man-up mentality and think it is much easier for elite teams to abide by that doctrine more than others.

I will even go as far to say I agree with that on most every position except...QB. QB is the most important position in any sport. You have to have an established QB to do anything in this league the vast majority of the time.

Again, I think the Brock Purdy's in the world are fairly rare.

Smith was a career backup, but he is clearly now a starter...especially on that team. SEA came to the decision that it was NOT worth trying to gamble in the draft or find someone on the open market. I trust Pete Caroll on this one.

As discussed, Daboll is a QB whisperer and turned Jones around. These teams are comfortable with these QBs (Jones and Smith) and want them to continue leading their offense. I think Jones will improve with additional talent around him...especially at the WR spot. Who knows with Smith. He looked awesome in that offense last year.

I hear what you are saying but teams in the NFL believe that it is easier to stick with what you know instead of gambling on a QB in the draft. The one thing that separates the good teams from the bad teams in the NFL is QB.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than TM, we don’t have a reliable WR either. Dotson has proven nothing…but I do like him.

Yes, any player can get hurt, but there is a greater statistical opportunity from somebody who gets tackled more.

Well, SF features a pretty good defense. Had SF not lost three QBs, perhaps Mahommes would have lost.

Basing things on likelihood and long term results is not fear. I have no emotion in this…but it sounds like you do.
Here are the top 10 most sacked QBs of the 2022 season,

1 Russell Wilson 55 times
2. Justin Fields 55 times
3. Kirk Cousins 46 times
4. Geno Smith 46 times
5. Daniel Jones 44 times
6. Joe Burrow 41 times
7. Jalen Hurts 38 times
8. Justin Herbert 38 times
9. Matt Ryan 38 times
10. Baker Mayfield 36 times

There are no single statistical categories available for hits on scrambling. or out-of-pocket QBs however there's this...

Mobile Quarterbacks and Injury Rates | Fantasy Points

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Stati...=edge..69i57j0.43548j0j9&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531#

AND THIS...

Attachments

• 1678331142486.jpeg
    1678331142486.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 0

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your first two points aren't based on reality... Washington's history is relevant because that is what it was and it remains exactly the same today. What's past is prologue, my friend. As for more deserving recipients, tell me what actually was the outcome of those MVP votes. That's sort of like saying, the parade will be held next week celebrating our SB victory because we were more deserving of that championship than Kansas City.

Brady is the lone exception to the rule, Wilson and Purdy are products of brilliant football minds at work.

I still disagree with paying Cousins because now we have proof of it going nowhere. Stability is a nice thing to have, but if there was a poll taken I'd bet that the vast majority would rather have championships! This is why Minnesota is now debating what to do about their QB position.

Vikings Trade Proposal Flips Cousins For 49ers Trey Lance

What is the timeline for a decision on Kirk Cousins? - Sports ...

5 reasons why the Vikings should consider trading Kirk Cousins in …

OK, so beyond Lamar check out this incomplete list...

SF using Jimmy G, Trey Lance, and Brock Purdy all had season/playoff-ending injuries. Stafford had a season-ending injury, and the Colts' Nick Foles was carted off of the field after a blind-side hit. Teddy Bridgewater broke his finger and was lost for the rest of the season, Jalen Hurts sprained his shoulder and missed games, Ryan Tannehill injured his ankle and didn't return, Kyler Murray's season ended with an injury, Matt Ryan lost time because of a shoulder injury, Wince fractured a finger and never returned to awful (he got worse), Daniel jones high ankle sprain caused him to miss time, Mac Jones was out 4-6 weeks with an injury, Justin Herbert fractured ribs and lost time, Dak Prescott fractured a thumb and missed time, and there were several QBs who missed time because of concussions.

This sort of fear reminds me of the mom who wrapped her child in bubble wrap because he was going outside to play!

When the organization SAYS that it supports a player and wants him to remain on their team, especially one who epitomizes what Baltimore is, then refuses to pay him what he's worth as determined by the market they have lied and abandoned him. The NFL is a pay-to-play league, that is a fact! Playing through pain is one thing, but playing at the risk of your career without proper compensation is an entirely different animal. Negotiations with Baltimore isn't something new, they have been "trying" to reach a new deal with him for well over a year now!

The point in who was second in the MVP is simply there are other great QBs.

Yep and those guys are less likely to be injured than LJ who should never see a fully guaranteed contract.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Cowboys fan, I would love to see Washington spend two #1's to pay a guy $200M fully guaranteed while he is playing around the same number of games per season as Tyron Smith. Go for it!

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that true of every QB and player in the league? (one massive hit)

Yes. But the changes are greatly increased for a running/scrambling QB like Lamar.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the next-man-up mentality and think it is much easier for elite teams to abide by that doctrine more than others.

I will even go as far to say I agree with that on most every position except...QB. QB is the most important position in any sport. You have to have an established QB to do anything in this league the vast majority of the time.

Again, I think the Brock Purdy's in the world are fairly rare.

Smith was a career backup, but he is clearly now a starter...especially on that team. SEA came to the decision that it was NOT worth trying to gamble in the draft or find someone on the open market. I trust Pete Caroll on this one.

As discussed, Daboll is a QB whisperer and turned Jones around. These teams are comfortable with these QBs (Jones and Smith) and want them to continue leading their offense. I think Jones will improve with additional talent around him...especially at the WR spot. Who knows with Smith. He looked awesome in that offense last year.

I hear what you are saying but teams in the NFL believe that it is easier to stick with what you know instead of gambling on a QB in the draft. The one thing that separates the good teams from the bad teams in the NFL is QB.

Is Smith clearly a starter? Seattle finished 3-5. Didn’t Nick Foles have a singular amazing season? Feel free to trust Carroll…I will trust history.

As for Jones. I would be closer to trusting him but still no. Neither are worth 30 million and I do t think any other team would have paid close to that.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the top 10 most sacked QBs of the 2022 season,

1 Russell Wilson 55 times
2. Justin Fields 55 times
3. Kirk Cousins 46 times
4. Geno Smith 46 times
5. Daniel Jones 44 times
6. Joe Burrow 41 times
7. Jalen Hurts 38 times
8. Justin Herbert 38 times
9. Matt Ryan 38 times
10. Baker Mayfield 36 times

There are no single statistical categories available for hits on scrambling. or out-of-pocket QBs however there's this...

Mobile Quarterbacks and Injury Rates | Fantasy Points

Statistical hits on scrambling or out of pocket NFL QBs 2022 - Bing

AND THIS...

this is what 250 million will get with Lamar Jackson. Lamar Jackson is not a QB if he doesn’t have his legs…just like RG3.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Smith clearly a starter? Seattle finished 3-5. Didn’t Nick Foles have a singular amazing season? Feel free to trust Carroll…I will trust history.

As for Jones. I would be closer to trusting him but still no. Neither are worth 30 million and I do t think any other team would have paid close to that.
Smith is currently clearly an NFL starter. Why?

1. He led the entire NFL in completion % for a starting QB (69.8)
2. He led the NFC in touchdown passes (30)
3. He is Seattle's all-time single-season passing yards leader(he broke Wilson's record)

Trusting Carroll is the same as trusting history to a certain extent. Carroll has 1 losing season in the last 10 years. So yeah...he knows more about this than you and I do.

He could be a one-year wonder, but they are going to gamble that it wasn't a fluke and they are more comfortable with Smith that drafting and developing a rookie. With the incoming QB class not being viewed as a primer class, re-signing Smith makes sense to me.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is currently clearly an NFL starter. Why?

1. He led the entire NFL in completion % for a starting QB (69.8)
2. He led the NFC in touchdown passes (30)
3. He is Seattle's all-time single-season passing yards leader(he broke Wilson's record)

Trusting Carroll is the same as trusting history to a certain extent. Carroll has 1 losing season in the last 10 years. So yeah...he knows more about this than you and I do.

He could be a one-year wonder, but they are going to gamble that it wasn't a fluke and they are more comfortable with Smith that drafting and developing a rookie. With the incoming QB class not being viewed as a primer class, re-signing Smith makes sense to me.

Yeah and in 2013, Nick Foles threw for 3000 yards, 27 TDS and 2 picks.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and in 2013, Nick Foles threw for 3000 yards, 27 TDS and 2 picks.
I understand that.

Smith is now the 16th highest paid qb with an estimated annual average salary of 25 million. The contract does have up to 30 million incentives. That seems about right to me given his age.

You said to offer 20 million a year, but he agreed to 25 million a year.

Basically, we have the following contracts signed recently by average annual salary:

Daniel jones: 40 million a year
Derek carr: 37.5 million a year
Geno smith: 25 million a year

Given this information, I believe Smith got a fair contract when compared to the market in general. Again, I find it hard to believe that carroll would tell the owner that smith's performance is a fluke and should be allowed to leave. When asked for hard evidence, carroll gives the example of nick foles. Seems like taking counsel of your fears to me. Apparently, carroll and his scouts do not see a rookie they are comfortable with. Also, they must have not felt the free agency class had any upgrades over Smith as well.

Smith's annual salary accounts for 11% of the 2023 salary cap if Seattle reaches the salary cap max threshold. Seems reasonable to me but that is my opinion.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that.

Smith is now the 16th highest paid qb with an estimated annual average salary of 25 million. The contract does have up to 30 million incentives. That seems about right to me given his age.

You said to offer 20 million a year, but he agreed to 25 million a year.

Basically, we have the following contracts signed recently by average annual salary:

Daniel jones: 40 million a year
Derek carr: 37.5 million a year
Geno smith: 25 million a year

Given this information, I believe Smith got a fair contract when compared to the market in general. Again, I find it hard to believe that carroll would tell the owner that smith's performance is a fluke and should be allowed to leave. When asked for hard evidence, carroll gives the example of nick foles. Seems like taking counsel of your fears to me. Apparently, carroll and his scouts do not see a rookie they are comfortable with. Also, they must have not felt the free agency class had any upgrades over Smith as well.

Smith's annual salary accounts for 11% of the 2023 salary cap if Seattle reaches the salary cap max threshold. Seems reasonable to me but that is my opinion.
These yearly avg‘s aren’t true . Bonuses make things easier but these contracts can be gotten out of quickly

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is key