• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lamar Jackson???

Should our team be seriously active in pursuing Lamar Jackson?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • 2. No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me rephrase, I would rather have Howell on his rookie deal than Geno or Danny on their current deals.

Howell showed me anyone can beat Dallas, literally anyone! :heh:
I understand, rookie QB allows a team to spend resources elsewhere.
It's the NFL, anyone can beat anyone. :tea:

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me rephrase, I would rather have Howell on his rookie deal than Geno or Danny on their current deals.

Howell showed me anyone can beat Dallas, literally anyone! :heh:

I understand, rookie QB allows a team to spend resources elsewhere.
It's the NFL, anyone can beat anyone. :tea:
Well, we sat most of our starters, played a QB with zero experience and said QB looked better than Dallas' franchise well paid QB. Dallas even had something to play for but I get it, we really did not and I put very little weight into that win or the 19 passes of which 1 was picked in the endzone by Howell. Yes, any given Sunday is right pday.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and dammit, that whole winning thing is simply overrated!
seems so,
Hey, if little Dan wants to screw the league, he should sign Lamar slightly higher than Watson's contract, Fully Guaranteed. Cleveland screwed the market, this week supports this much. Motivated Lamar with Washington's current team looks better than both Philly & Dallas.

Danny getting the Redskin Fans another SB as he goes out seems like the least he could do.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems so,
Hey, if little Dan wants to screw the league, he should sign Lamar slightly higher than Watson's contract, Fully Guaranteed. Cleveland screwed the market, this week supports this much. Motivated Lamar with Washington's current team looks better than both Philly & Dallas.

Danny getting the Redskin Fans another SB as he goes out seems like the least he could do.
I agree with you on everything that you've written except the historical observation that it wasn't Cleveland offering the first fully guaranteed contract, it was Minnesota and Kirk Cousins. The amount is by far larger for Watson, but he's exponentially a far better QB than Kirk.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, point by point...

1. "my question should have been more in-depth, is Lamar Jackson the guy who can carry us to Super-bowls. ? now the way his contract is set up is key to signing him. lamar is asking for 230 mil plus guaranteed not the 141 mil that Mahomes has."

We are currently a team that doesn't make the playoffs, that is simply a fact. We are also a team that has little relevance as NFL teams go. Why did the goalposts move to Super-bowl, when at best a Howell-led team is asking the question can he be minimally competent? The Mahomes contract is an outline, the numbers will change for Jackson but it shows what's possible.

2. "now i can't tell you that Lamar isn't pulling a KC and making the price so outlandish because he doesn't want to be a raven much like KC being a Christian couldn't take the sex trafficking of our FO"

Daniel Jones just got 40M+, Geno Smith just got 35M and Lamar is asking for more than either of these guys is pulling a KC? How?? Hell, there's a logical argument that insists that just like KC, Lamar should, if only temporarily, become the highest-paid QB in the league by structure. SN: being a "Christian" is not an argument for or against anything! The world is full of "Christians" who've done both good and evil.

3. "so far I see some potential that Lamar might carry a team to a Superbowl but he hasn't done that yet so the question is do you put all your eggs in this basket?"

7-9, 7-9, and 8-8-1 and we're concerned about potentially reaching a Superbowl? Ask yourself this question... when was the last time that you've personally mentioned having a team much less a QB, who had the potential to do better than what we've become accustomed to here in D.C.?

1- Saying we are irrelevant or rarely make the playoffs is not an argument for doing something unless you believe LJ is the cure, not just some other QB may be the cure. With SH, you have no idea what you really have. He is 1-0 after not being given much of a chance. SH may surprise the team and give us competent QB play.

2- I agree there is an argument for LJ being the highest paid, just like KC was. I find both arguments foolish. Mahommes should be the highest paid. He wins SBs and is the MVP. Daniel Jones and Geno Smith getting 30 million is disgraceful and desperate.

3- Every season is potentially better than last.

Lamar Jackson would instantly make this team better than starting SH. I don’t question that. It would also set the team back years. I saw the silliness earlier talking about how LJ would encourage other FAS to come to DC. It wouldn’t. Money encourages them. Even if a player did encourage others, LJ would not. Like I said, LJ has had a singular season over 3k yards. Why would any WR come here for that and why would we pay the WR we want? Paying LJ would mean losing other players. LJ relies on his legs, that is why you do not sign him and why he will not get a fully guaranteed contract. No franchise can risk a five year set back and I guarantee LJ won’t be healthier as his career continues. Even he knows this, and that is why he abandoned his team.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It depends on what you mean do well. Do I think LJ could do better next year than SH? Yes."

Why do you believe that LJ could do better than SH? Your question literally answers itself. LJ is a league MVP who got that MVP because he PASSED for more TDs than anyone in the league that season. No shade towards Howell but right now he's a Chrysler(5th round) with that new car smell (untested and unproven) We have yet to find out if he can be a reliable pitchman or a lemon.

Is it possible that LJ gets injured and sets this franchise back the foreseeable future? Yes.

I love the fear element that's being exhibited when it comes to running QBs and now is as good a time to debunk that notion as any. In the NFL you have 300-pound guys running anywhere between 12-15 MPH at a stationary target traditionally. The risk of injury is as great with these targets as it is with one who runs...why... because injuries happen. The game is a violent one and no one escapes without injury, pain, or some form of debilitation. We all want longevity at the QB position but like ordinary life, the league presents us with numerous examples of survivor-of-the-fittest scenarios. Getting a setback because of injury isn't a death knell, but an opportunity to show your mettle, suck it up, and survive.

Is it possible that LJ can lead us to a SB? Yes.

Self-explanatory and the counter-argument to your previous points.

Do I believe it is likely? Very unlikely. I would say 1% and SH is .5% next season. Those odds change as the years go on in favor of SH.

Nonsense... see your point above!

Since that fluke season in 2019, his TDS went down to 26, 16, and 17. The 36 was a fluke when he shocked everybody.

Well I am glad you mention sucking it up and being tough…LJ did not and is not.

I am an odds guy. LJ has been injured each of the last two seasons, relies heavily on his legs, and is not a great passer. The odds say he will continue to get injured, he will slow down, and he will not be as good tomorrow as he is today because he is a runner. The 1% is based on the fact that LJ is capable today but will likely be injured. SH is at .5 because we have a solid team and we have no idea what SH is. I know we had garbage last season and were still .500. Those odds will get better because SH won’t get worse.

My decisions are not based in fear but in a reasonable reality where we have seen the best LJ will ever be, and he won’t return to level.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy who has two sentences, and neither are grammatically correct.
C'mon, guys, the ongoing conversation doesn't need to be ruined with this stuff!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of what you are saying.

They are getting starter money, and I agree that they more than likely do NOT have a shot at winning a SB. Jones is under a coach who puts him in the best spot to succeed and Smith must have found the fountain of youth or finally figured it out.

That being said, what do you expect them to do?
Smith threw 30 TDs in 2022 and led them to the playoffs. Should Seattle let him walk because he had a career year and wants market value? What should they do? Look to a substandard draft class to find the answer? Letting a playoff QB who threw 30 TDs and 4,000 yards walk because he probably won't win a SB is irresponsible. Seattle made the right call here.

Jones had a decent year in Daboll's first year. Jones led them to a playoff win. He now has more playoff wins than WSH does in 17 years. It was his first year in the Daboll offense. Again, what should Giants do? Look to the 2023 draft to find a better option? Daboll clearly believes in him and they paid him. I think he is being overpaid personally. That being said, Daboll likes him and feels he can build around him.

We need to keep in mind, QBs don't grow on trees. SEA and NYG obviously know this and stuck with what they know instead of going on a never-ending quest to find a franchise QB. Especially when both of those QBs produced results. The amount of QBs who can win a SB is very small...maybe 5-8? Would you not agree?

No, I don't think you are defending Rivera, he is terrible and I have said that since he was hired. We are still trying to find our QB of the future and are no closer than when Rivera got here.

I agree, Watson was a mistake. The market is stupid for QBs but that is the reality of the situation right now in today's NFL. It is a QB-driven league and if you are a playoff QB, you will be paid. I don't understand it but that is reality right now.

Seattle should have offered 20. If another team wants to steal him, then so be it.

Daboll is wrong. When you overpay one guy, you lose out on others.

The amount of QBs that can win is large. It reduces dramatically when the QB eats up 20% of the cap.

I think SF proved something very different last season. You can take a smart QB with limited upside to great places…especially if they don’t get hurt.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voted no because my team has that scumbag DW.

But even if my team needed a QB I wouldn't want Jackson. He's exciting to watch. But I've never been a big fan of QB's that run a lot. One massive hit can change everything.
A lesson we should all have learned in 2012.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Saying we are irrelevant or rarely make the playoffs is not an argument for doing something unless you believe LJ is the cure, not just some other QB may be the cure. With SH, you have no idea what you really have. He is 1-0 after not being given much of a chance. SH may surprise the team and give us competent QB play.

2- I agree there is an argument for LJ being the highest paid, just like KC was. I find both arguments foolish. Mahommes should be the highest paid. He wins SBs and is the MVP. Daniel Jones and Geno Smith getting 30 million is disgraceful and desperate.

Lamar Jackson would instantly make this team better than starting SH. I don’t question that. It would also set the team back years. I saw the silliness earlier talking about how LJ would encourage other FAS to come to DC. It wouldn’t. Money encourages them. Even if a player did encourage others, LJ would not. Like I said, LJ has had a singular season over 3k yards. Why would any WR come here for that and why would we pay the WR we want? Paying LJ would mean losing other players. LJ relies on his legs, that is why you do not sign him and why he will not get a fully guaranteed contract. No franchise can risk a five year set back and I guarantee LJ won’t be healthier as his career continues. Even he knows this, and that is why he abandoned his team.

It's a QB-driven league, let's remember that and Lamar Jackson is a top QB in the league whether some choose to believe that or not. If we were to list all of the young QBs in the NFL including the very best of them, there are ONLY two of them that have won the league MVP award. (Mahomes/Jackson) I categorically disagree with any and all assertions that "we don't know what we have in Sam Howell" We absolutely know what we have in him which is a long shot 5th round draft choice that our moderator has repeatedly (correctly so) stated the fact that players coming from this draft position usually end up as backups. What we don't know about Howell is how well he will function in this offense. What too many are banking on is a range somewhere between Heinicke, Cousins, and Brady. I am convinced that being another Brady is out and have very serious doubts about him being another Cousins. Can he be better? Maybe but the odds are against him being what Cousins has become, serviceable.

I well remember those debates about what the market dictates during Kirk's time here and, to be honest, was convinced that you were a free-market kind of guy. No??? (if not I stand corrected) I do not disagree with your statement about Mahomes, but don't the contracts of Smith and Jones support the free market argument?

While I don't disagree with this in theory, Washington under any team name is one of the safest bets in NFL history with regard to season finishes. Hope being everlasting, every team in the league potentially has a chance to be better in a new season than the previous one but is that our lived reality? In fact, 7-9, 7-9, and 8-8-1 fit in very nicely with where history and predictability say this team will finish any given season. The aberration has been those SB years. I know this because prior to that the seasonal finishes, even with Jurgensen, Mitchell, Taylor, Smith, and Co were almost always last in the division.

How does a team get better and gets set back years at the same time?

A well-functioning organization that pays attracts players. There are a limited number of jobs in the league and that alone guarantees employees. Having a top-of-the-line QB doesn't hurt your chances of making playoff runs either and beyond money players want to WIN!

Lamar has never been given the same supporting cast as Burrows, Herbert, Tua, Stafford, Any current SF QB, Mahomes, Dak, Hurts, and Allen, among many others. Washington has a really nice running game, and two real nice WRs in McLaurin and the budding #1 Jahan Dotson, add Samuel and a pass-catching TE to the mix, and for the first time in his career, he'll get close to the luxury that these others enjoy.

Yards are yards they all add up to the same thing and are MORE meaningful if the defense has to account for them from another source.

He won't get a guaranteed contract for one reason and one reason alone... the league is drawing a line at not making them typical.

Finally, no team could ever be set back 5 years if they know what they're doing and understand how best to deal with setbacks. He never abandoned his team, they failed him and it seems that they want what a lot of our posters want, all of the reward and none of the risk.

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since that fluke season in 2019, his TDS went down to 26, 16, and 17. The 36 was a fluke when he shocked everybody.

Well I am glad you mention sucking it up and being tough…LJ did not and is not.

I am an odds guy. LJ has been injured each of the last two seasons, relies heavily on his legs, and is not a great passer. The odds say he will continue to get injured, he will slow down, and he will not be as good tomorrow as he is today because he is a runner. The 1% is based on the fact that LJ is capable today but will likely be injured. SH is at .5 because we have a solid team and we have no idea what SH is. I know we had garbage last season and were still .500. Those odds will get better because SH won’t get worse.

My decisions are not based in fear but in a reasonable reality where we have seen the best LJ will ever be, and he won’t return to level.
"Fluke season???" yeah ok, here are the facts...

1. His Wrs were Miles Boykin, Marquise Brown, Chris Moore, Seth Roberts, Jaleel Scott, Willie Snead, and De'Anthony Thomas, heard of any of them in conversation related to reliable targets? His best receiver was TE Mark Andrews and once defenses began to take him away all he had left were his legs. This same situation hasn't changed to this day!

2. There is not one QB or player in the game who is not one injury away from not being available for his team, you know this!
I've already addressed SH who is also a runner.

3. Our team is one that features defense in a league that is constructed to be a passing one. An early and easy prediction for the 2023 season as currently constructed, is somewhere between 7, 8, and 9 wins.

4. FEAR is based on emotion and danger, and on this subject "reasonable reality" is the perception of both.