• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers OFFICIALLY DONE until Jim Buss is gone

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Maybe they paid too much for Mozgov but I really don't see there being a real problem with the Lakers not chasing all these over-priced free agents.

Expectations are nice but they can't contradict reality. I think maybe they have accepted the reality that next season they are not contenders so why blow a huge wad of cash on a team you know won't contend.

I think it might be the best for the future of the Lakers to be down for a bit and then rebuild back up. Remember, they were an afterthought in the NBA in the 90s and then the next decade took over again. They sunk to low depths when Shaq left but then came back and won two more titles.

So, keep dumping dirt on the grave of the Lakers but don't be surprised when, one day, they crawl out of that grave and become a Laker Zombie Apocalypse for the rest of the NBA.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Maybe they paid too much for Mozgov but I really don't see there being a real problem with the Lakers not chasing all these over-priced free agents.

Expectations are nice but they can't contradict reality. I think maybe they have accepted the reality that next season they are not contenders so why blow a huge wad of cash on a team you know won't contend.

I think it might be the best for the future of the Lakers to be down for a bit and then rebuild back up. Remember, they were an afterthought in the NBA in the 90s and then the next decade took over again. They sunk to low depths when Shaq left but then came back and won two more titles.

So, keep dumping dirt on the grave of the Lakers but don't be surprised when, one day, they crawl out of that grave and become a Laker Zombie Apocalypse for the rest of the NBA.

Rob, considering all the jack that's being tossed out to ALL o' these guys this FA I ain't gonna hang my head THAT much over the money...

think this is bad, wait'll next season when the cap goes up even more...

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His per 36 minute averages for his career are 13.6ppg, 10rpg and 1.8bpg.

He may not get 36mpg but he'll get 30-33 and come very close to those numbers.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's gonna be a lockout looming with these fucking crazy contracts but the owners have only themselves to blame. The fans are the ones that are hurt by it.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob, considering all the jack that's being tossed out to ALL o' these guys this FA I ain't gonna hang my head THAT much over the money...

think this is bad, wait'll next season when the cap goes up even more...

Having a second to think it over.....

Skip Bayless makes $5M a year so, no, Mozgov isn't overpaid.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a second to think it over.....

Skip Bayless makes $5M a year so, no, Mozgov isn't overpaid.

him AND Stephen A (somehow) get paid to throw out their asinine opinions. maybe they should be restricted to these boards and get paid nothing like the rest of us...:lol:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation: "Lakers haters going along with me, and Lakers fans trying to shed a little light on the subject"

sorry, but i'll say it again. no reason for me to believe this move is a total fail until I see the results on the court. but hey, you're 100% sure Jim'll blow this, right? guess time'll tell...

I'm sure Jim will blow everything he touches.

Lakers FO and fans will be MUCH better off when he's gone. Even you know this.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. There's only 1 true difference maker available who could actually move (Lebron isn't leaving Cleveland) and 2 potential difference makers in Whiteside and Horford...the Lakers weren't getting any of those guys. No point wasting time on guys you're not getting anyway.

Better to sign solid vets like Mozgov/Deng, show improvement and then go big game hunting in the future when they are more attractive to bigger names.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Jim will blow everything he touches.

Lakers FO and fans will be MUCH better off when he's gone. Even you know this.

ok, well if you say so. let's face it, running this kind of a franchise after the death of one of the greatest owners EVER is a tough act to follow. me, i'll give it a little more time. it ain't like I run the franchise...

my only thing is that casting aspersions and going into panic mode certainly won't help...

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this year will be worse than next year- of course im not surprised that you think that- but then again- not a big time critical thinker.

how the hell do you figure...?:pound::pound:

more money, more spending. even a DUMBASS(well, maybe not ALL dumbasses considering you don't see it) can get that one...:lol:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The concept of chasing some of these more expensive free agents this summer doesn't make any sense for the Lakers. Once Whiteside and Durant were off the table, the Lakers needed some vet leadership and depth to bolster the roster, but not to block the development of the young prospects. Deng is an ideal fit. Mozgov a little less so, but the Lakers wanted rim protection and someone to help bring along Zubac. Mozgov fits that bill more than someone like Biyombo would. Pau would've been nice, but not really a rim protector. Noah only wanted the Knicks.

Now if the Lakers can add some more shooting with the balance of their cap space (about $20M), it will be a reasonably successful offseason. Nothing they did outside of handing the team off to Lebron and Durant was going to instantly create a contender, but at least they are building consistently. Adding more youth to an already young team defeats the purpose somewhat; extremely young teams are often very erratic.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His per 36 minute averages for his career are 13.6ppg, 10rpg and 1.8bpg.

He may not get 36mpg but he'll get 30-33 and come very close to those numbers.

He might get those numbers, but it does not mean he is helping the team. When he posted 15 and 9 in the finals last year, he was also a big part of why the Cavs lost. Mozgov could not guard anybody when the Warriors went small and his defensive inadaquacy in the role he was given hurt more than his offensive/rebounding contributions helped.

The NBA is moving away from players like Mozgov. If he is getting more than 15 minutes a night, it probably isn't a good thing regardless of what his stat line may say.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mozgov had to be a Jim Buss decision not a spread offense player or defender Bad knees. And worst of all signs immediately. Atlanta was desperate to move Milsap His plus minus stats are glaring. Maybe Jim wants out

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mozgov had to be a Jim Buss decision not a spread offense player or defender Bad knees. And worst of all signs immediately. Atlanta was desperate to move Milsap His plus minus stats are glaring. Maybe Jim wants out

Nope. Walton wanted him and his talk with Mozgov was key in getting the deal done. Shaw liked him from his time in Denver as well. You know Buss wanted bigger names with more flash.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Walton wanted him and his talk with Mozgov was key in getting the deal done. Shaw liked him from his time in Denver as well. You know Buss wanted bigger names with more flash.

Golden State was interested in Mozgov too. He isn't terrible, it is just that the Lakers appear to be expecting a bit much from him based on the contract.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i agree....

Lakers are going about it the right way...keep rebuilding slowly....give these kids some time. Ill tell ya right now- from watching the Cavs own rebuilding- every one of those young guys is gonna have some great games- but everyone is also going to have some games where you wonder what the fuck the GM was thinking when they drafted them----- and the simple fact is that very very rarely do all the guys work out...pretty much never.

The Cavs high lotto picks- Irving, Thompson, Waiters, Bennett....only 2 of them turned out- and only one of them is a high level all star....

the Sixers- Noel, Embiid, Okafor...now Simmons...Saric at some point.....out of those guys - its just a fact of the NBA that maybe half of them work out- and out of that half maybe 1 or 2 are really freaking great....

Even in Minnesota....Dunn, LaVine, Towns, Wiggins, Dieng, etc.....ya just never know.

Out of Russell, Randle, Ingram, Nance Jr. , Clarkson, etc....maybe 2-3 guys work out, and maybe 1 or 2 really become something special.....ya never know....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State was interested in Mozgov too. He isn't terrible, it is just that the Lakers appear to be expecting a bit much from him based on the contract.
yah...the expectations from a few fans are kinda ludicrous but i think a lot of them have realstic expectations...Mozgov will help Randle and protect him and the perimeter guys big time. Mozgov is not afraid to mix it up physically and he just got some really great experience winning a title and learning from LeBron too.

and i think Mozgov will help and is a pretty good player and in a vacuum its not a bad deal- i just dont like the 4 years because i think in about 2 years the Lakers could very well be in position to get elite free agents and having Deng at 33 and Mozgov at 32 comprosing 34 million- or about 30% of your cap seems like an opportunity cost thats very risky.

Darth_Tom

a.k.a. theseeker88
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been over for the Lakers since Jerry Buss croaked.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.......maybe jim wants out? are you suggesting he tried to get himself fired by giving Timo Mozgov 65 million dollars?

dude...Celtics just got Horford....be happy....dont troll the Lakers fans out there like that right now...too soon.