• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie to Boston rumors heating up. Deal nearly complete

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, though... everyone knew that IT was nursing an injury... one that is fairly significant, too.

Now... if IT is injured much worse than originally reported... that's one thing. (There is no evidence that this is the case, though)

But if he is hurt to the extent that has been reported... the Cav's are being d!cks. A deal was agreed to in good faith, playing games after that is a sh!tty move.

As much as I hate to stick up for the Cavs, I disagree. This appears to be a difference of opinion between the Cavs doctors and the Celtics doctors. Best guess would be that it's a difference in how soon he'll be 100% and ready to go. The Celtics docs are probably saying by the start of the season and the Cavs docs are probably saying a month or 2 into the season. Assuming that's the case, I see no reason why the Cavs shouldn't at least try to get a little more. Just seems like smart business.

Now, if it turns out that the Cavs pressured their doctors into saying it will take longer than it should...that would be a dick move and probably something the league office would get involved in.

Also, unless the Cavs docs have determined that it's degenerative (which we'd probably already know if that were the case) and the Cavs back out entirely because the Celtics refused to sweeten the pot, that would also be a dick move.

End of the day, it's business. The Cavs are trying to get a little more, as they should and so far, the Celtics seem to be rejecting that, as they also should.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to stick up for the Cavs, I disagree. This appears to be a difference of opinion between the Cavs doctors and the Celtics doctors. Best guess would be that it's a difference in how soon he'll be 100% and ready to go. The Celtics docs are probably saying by the start of the season and the Cavs docs are probably saying a month or 2 into the season. Assuming that's the case, I see no reason why the Cavs shouldn't at least try to get a little more. Just seems like smart business.

Now, if it turns out that the Cavs pressured their doctors into saying it will take longer than it should...that would be a dick move and probably something the league office would get involved in.

Also, unless the Cavs docs have determined that it's degenerative (which we'd probably already know if that were the case) and the Cavs back out entirely because the Celtics refused to sweeten the pot, that would also be a dick move.

End of the day, it's business. The Cavs are trying to get a little more, as they should and so far, the Celtics seem to be rejecting that, as they also should.
Fair enough.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the worst case is that he is ready in January, Cavs are making a big mistake pushing this. Ainge's next offer will be less appealing. Cleveland won't get anywhere close to this.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"As much as I hate to stick up for the Cavs"

:wtf2:

Are you feeling okay today?:D

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, that is just it though.

The Celtics don't have assets to burn.

Unless their ultimate goal is to be East champs and make a couple Finals appearances. Those assets need to be fully maximized if they ever want to compete with GS.

So, it looks like IT is damaged goods. Celtics will literally get pennies on the dollar for him now. Which means, they can't deal him now. They must wait.

Maybe he proves healthy prior to the trade deadline and the Celtics can get a solid return. Maybe he doesn't. Still isn't worth trading him while his value is in the toilet.

Kind of agree, but not completely (if that makes sense). lol

Unless I missed something, the Celtics are/were sitting on some good picks, especially the Nets #1 and the Lakers pick is likely to be solid as well since they are unlikely to make the playoffs this year.

I agree that, if this trade for Kyrie unravels, they likely have to wait until IT shows he's healthy, but even if he's not, they can put together a package of picks and a young asset or 2 to improve their roster. They would need to make sure they got a young player or 2 for those assets, so that player will still be young enough to be part of the team in 2-3 years when they can compete with the Warriors.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of agree, but not completely (if that makes sense). lol

Unless I missed something, the Celtics are/were sitting on some good picks, especially the Nets #1 and the Lakers pick is likely to be solid as well since they are unlikely to make the playoffs this year.

I agree that, if this trade for Kyrie unravels, they likely have to wait until IT shows he's healthy, but even if he's not, they can put together a package of picks and a young asset or 2 to improve their roster. They would need to make sure they got a young player or 2 for those assets, so that player will still be young enough to be part of the team in 2-3 years when they can compete with the Warriors.

That is just it though.

If they don't squeeze every last ounce of value from those assets, they won't be competing with the Warriors in 2-3 years. They will be getting run off the court by them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the worst case is that he is ready in January, Cavs are making a big mistake pushing this. Ainge's next offer will be less appealing. Cleveland won't get anywhere close to this.

Oh, I agree that it's a bit of risk on the Cavs part. I think it's much more important to the Cavs to move Kyrie than for the Celtics to move IT. Any hard feelings that IT may have could probably be smoothed over, but the only thing that will make Kyrie happy at this point is getting the hell out of Cleveland and it's doubtful that anyone else is giving up anything close to what the Celtics are.

If the Cavs push too hard for more assets, Ainge could decide to tell them to go fuck themselves and pick up his ball and go home.

Basically, based on the current info, the Cavs should try to get another asset (nothing crazy), the Celtics should say no, and both teams should move forward with the trade.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just it though.

If they don't squeeze every last ounce of value from those assets, they won't be competing with the Warriors in 2-3 years. They will be getting run off the court by them.

I don't see the situation as being quite as dire as you do.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12, I'm heading to the Steer N Stein on Florida in Hemet at Noon. What's the best route there from Rancho? Can I take the 10 all the way?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree that it's a bit of risk on the Cavs part. I think it's much more important to the Cavs to move Kyrie than for the Celtics to move IT. Any hard feelings that IT may have could probably be smoothed over, but the only thing that will make Kyrie happy at this point is getting the hell out of Cleveland and it's doubtful that anyone else is giving up anything close to what the Celtics are.

If the Cavs push too hard for more assets, Ainge could decide to tell them to go fuck themselves and pick up his ball and go home.

Basically, based on the current info, the Cavs should try to get another asset (nothing crazy), the Celtics should say no, and both teams should move forward with the trade.

yep. we're pretty much looking at a stalemate imo...

quite honestly i doubt the Celtics budge at this point, and who can blame 'em...?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12, I'm heading to the Steer N Stein on Florida in Hemet at Noon. What's the best route there from Rancho? Can I take the 10 all the way?

Yeah, exit at Beaumont Ave. That will take you through Lambs Canyon. If you stay on that road, it will turn into Sanderson when you get into Hemet. Steer n Stein is in a shopping center on your left at the corner of Sanderson and Florida.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, exit at Beaumont Ave. That will take you through Lambs Canyon. If you stay on that road, it will turn into Sanderson when you get into Hemet. Steer n Stein is in a shopping center on your left at the corner of Sanderson and Florida.

Awesome. Thanks......Mapquest is acting weird and I hate Google maps.

TJ for POTUS!!!!

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is way more than Bledosoe and Josh Jackson. And it really isn't close.

Just IT/Brooklyn tops that. And you get Crowder for 3 years as well.
Not if Thomas can't go until March, April, May....

If he only misses a month or two, I agree with you.

LeBron is great. But, he can't overcome the loss of Kyries offense without a suitable replacement.

Rose isn't that considering his injury history.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. we're pretty much looking at a stalemate imo...

quite honestly i doubt the Celtics budge at this point, and who can blame 'em...?

They absolutely shouldn't budge, especially since many see this as a bit of an overpay on their part as it is. One thing that I agree with @tlance about on this is that it really doesn't do anything to make them competitive with the Warriors. He's right that the best thing for the Celtics may be that this trade doesn't happen.

It's far more important for the Cavs to move Kyrie than for the Celtics to move IT.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been to Steer N Stein before. Checked out the menu, looks tasty and price is right.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just it though.

Well... Kyrie is a clear upgrade over IT... a clear step in the right direction. Focusing on what the C's lose:

- Jae Crowder - Loved Jae, but he is easily expendable... C's are loaded at the wing and have to develop their potential there. Arguably, jettisoning Jae is a good move for the future... gives Brown and Tatum more minutes.
- Zizic - This is a loss for the size-starved Celtics... however, Zizic is a speculative prospect with only medium upside... who knows what he'll turn out to be in 3 years.
- The Brooklyn pick - by far the biggest loss for the C's, in what looks to be a great draft. But it's no sure thing... might be #1, #5, #10, or anything in between.

The overall picture is mixed, IMO. The C's are betting on the young talent they already have, a Stevens+Kyrie match that works, and (building off that Stevens/Kyrie match) a good chance to resign Kyrie in 2 years.

I've warmed to the trade, personally. I see the logic in it... and a big part of that logic is that IT is not a championship player and the C's didn't want to have to lock him up for big $$$'s next year.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reportedly the Bucks offered Middleton, Brogdon, and a 1st. If that's true... that's better than the Celtics offer IF Thomas is missing most of the year.

A Bucks first round pick is no better than possibly a mid 20's. Why bother? Is a Celtic team 1st round pick as valuable as the LA or Brooklyn pick? I amazes me how people think.

Again, if Cleveland is holding up the completion, and I were Ainge, I'd walk away. I'd talk to IT and tell him to have surgery. I talk with Crowder and invite him back or tell him I'd try to work a deal to move him if he didn't.

It will NOT be the same after hip surgery and may not be able to come back at all, which is fine. make him a fair offer for a one year next year and tell him he can become a free agent in 2019. If he says no, then see ya later. Who knows, maybe one of the guys on the roster suddenly becomes a very good PG.

I would not give Cleveland another red cent. If I could, I'd give them the single finger salute and walk away.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 people gave this a winner rating, Gordon....but I don't know what I'm talking about?

Sounds legit.

Never said you didn't know what you were talking about. You definitely have the majority opinion as far as this forum goes... so maybe I'm the one that's missing something.

I just don't see the Cavs as having to trade Kyrie before training camp. I didn't see it that way before this trade either. Kyrie has 2 years left on his deal and he won't lose any value over the next few months. And other players may become available during that time, so the Cavs don't need to be in a hurry in my opinion.