• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyrie to Boston rumors heating up. Deal nearly complete

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, who cares.

The regular season means very little to a team like Cleveland. Heck, LeBron has basically flat out said as much.

LeBron doesn't care about regular season record, sure. But it's about more than wins. When one of your best player misses significant time you open yourself up to issues with chemistry, the health of others players, and a lot of things.

Cleveland would much prefer IT to play the whole season and to suggest that they just shouldn't care about it, when they might have been undersold on the extent of his injury isn't fair, imo.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree with you here... even IF Thomas misses half the season or something like that. The playoffs is what matters for a team like Cleveland, anyways.

That aside: the Brooklyn pick alone makes the C's offer better than that Bucks offer.
Agree 100%.

Only deal that tops the Celtics would be Bledsoe and Booker or Bledsoe and Josh Jackson.

The first deal would neeeeeeeeeeever happen. So, no point in debating it.

The second?

I'd rather have Jackson because we have no idea where that Brooklyn pick will be.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I see your point.

I wouldnt increase my offer.

But, not having him for most of the Season makes the haul you got make perfect sense.

If someone offered you something worth $100 for $50... Then after completing the deal you found out the thing was actually worth $60.... You'd be upset.

You might ultimately choose to stick with the deal cause it's still a good deal... But you're still gonna feel swindled to some degree and not be happy about it.

( This is hypothetical of course, we don't know what the Celtics told the Cavs or what the truth of his injury is)

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone offered you something worth $100 for $50... Then after completing the deal you found out the thing was actually worth $60.... You'd be upset.

You might ultimately choose to stick with the deal cause it's worth it... But you're still gonna feel swindled to some degree and not be happy about it.
Agree.

* See Jrue Holiday trade

I thought the Celtics overpayed for Kyrie.

Now I see why they gave up what they did.

Fair offer imo...

But, I understand that the Cavs may have been unaware.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron doesn't care about regular season record, sure. But it's about more than wins. When one of your best player misses significant time you open yourself up to issues with chemistry, the health of others players, and a lot of things.
IT should be back with a lot of time to go in the regular season... if that isn't the case, it would be news.
gt said:
Cleveland would much prefer IT to play the whole season and to suggest that they just shouldn't care about it, when they might have been undersold on the extent of his injury isn't fair, imo.
Sure, if they had their druthers... any team would prefer to have their guys healthy all the time.

That's beside the point of it not being a big deal in the grand scheme of things if (worst case scenario, based on what we know now) IT misses half the season or something like that.

As for Cleveland being possibly lied or fibbed to... that's speculation which I highly doubt, I'll stand by my reasoning earlier in the thread on that front.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol so you got nothing.

LeBron had mentioned Kyrie once in a tweet this summer and it was thanking him and praising him.
The media made a big deal out of that Curry dance video.

Oustide forces stirring the pot.

But, there is no way you can bring Kyrie back...imo

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You might ultimately choose to stick with the deal cause it's still a good deal... But you're still gonna feel swindled to some degree and not be happy about it.

( This is hypothetical of course, we don't know what the Celtics told the Cavs or what the truth of his injury is)
Absolutely agree.

And still, if I'm the Celtics, it's take it or leave it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely agree.

And still, if I'm the Celtics, it's take it or leave it.
Yeah....

When the deal first happened, many of us said it was a straight heist UNLESS ISIAH WASN'T HEALTHY.

He's not.

So, fair deal...imo

But, I totally understand Gordon's point.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%.

Only deal that tops the Celtics would be Bledsoe and Booker or Bledsoe and Josh Jackson.

The second?

I'd rather have Jackson because we have no idea where that Brooklyn pick will be.
I've heard that Phoenix is in love with Jackson... I doubt they trade him as part of a "2 year rental on Kyrie" package.

They are all about the distant future, anyways... (or, at least, they should be)

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....

When the deal first happened, many of us said it was a straight heist UNLESS ISIAH WASN'T HEALTHY.

He's not.

So, fair deal...imo

But, I totally understand Gordon's point.
This shit is so messed up I'm not even sure how I feel about it anymore. I just know I refuse to shed a tear for the Cavs just because they fleeced us a little less than they thought they did.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media made a big deal out of that Curry dance video.

Oustide forces stirring the pot.

But, there is no way you can bring Kyrie back...imo

Sure the Cavs could bring Mr. Flat Earth back. Never underestimate the overall stupidity of Dan Gilbert. Although if Irving has to play this season in Cleveland the organization should teach him a lesson & make him come off the bench instead of starting for the 1st half of the season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible that the Celtics purposefully misled the Cavs.

Possible that the Cavs had no surprises with the physical and are just trying to squeeze assets.

Both of those are unlikely to me though. Likely, the Celtics doctors and Cavs doctors have a difference of opinion, in which case both sides are justified in being upset with the other.

I still think the Cavs can walk away easier. Irvings trade value is fine and cavs can wait for the deadline if needed. Who cares if they can't get a better deal than the imaginary one where IT is healthy. It's imaginary and funny how the Celtics fans are suddenly back to over valuing that pick.

IT's trade value just went from a 1 year rental to a 2 month rental. And Celtics have no point guard for awhile if this doesn't get done.

Agree except for the bold. Every NBA team knows that Kyrie wants out and the Cavs don't want to be going into the regular season with Kyrie disgruntled and not wanting to play with Lebron. Because of that, Kyrie's trade value isn't fine.

I'd be shocked if they get anything very close at all to what the Celtics were offering.

The reason the Celtics trade worked and wasn't quite the "overpay" that some have suggested is because the Celtics had the assets to burn so to speak. They could give darn close to Kyrie's fair market value without weakening the rest of their roster. I don't think there are too many teams right now that have that same situation. Maybe the Sixers, but that's about it that I can think of.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't start the season with Irving on the roster, no fucking way. James and Irving have been clowning
each other all summer.

5 people gave this a winner rating, Gordon....but I don't know what I'm talking about?

Sounds legit.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with you here... although, frankly, I think there may be a small possibility that Cleveland is playing extortion games, too.

Yeah, agree it's more likely the rookie GM is being stupid than Ainge.

The Cavs probably are playing extortion games and it's not necessarily stupid on the part of the Cavs GM to play those games.

The Cavs are essentially getting damaged goods. The question is, how damaged? If you're the Cavs and can use that as leverage to get the Celtics to sweeten the pot a little, I don't see the problem.

What would be stupid, imo, is if the Cavs used that as a reason to back out of the trade (unless they are thinking that IT's hip is degenerative thing like Bynum's knees turned out to be) because I don't think they're getting what the Celtics were giving from anyone else.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%.

The second?

This is way more than Bledosoe and Josh Jackson. And it really isn't close.

Just IT/Brooklyn tops that. And you get Crowder for 3 years as well.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs probably are playing extortion games and it's not necessarily stupid on the part of the Cavs GM to play those games.

The Cavs are essentially getting damaged goods. The question is, how damaged? If you're the Cavs and can use that as leverage to get the Celtics to sweeten the pot a little, I don't see the problem.
The thing is, though... everyone knew that IT was nursing an injury... one that is fairly significant, too.

Now... if IT is injured much worse than originally reported... that's one thing. (There is no evidence that this is the case, though)

But if he is hurt to the extent that has been reported... the Cav's are being d!cks. A deal was agreed to in good faith, playing games after that is a sh!tty move.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree except for the bold. Every NBA team knows that Kyrie wants out and the Cavs don't want to be going into the regular season with Kyrie disgruntled and not wanting to play with Lebron. Because of that, Kyrie's trade value isn't fine.

I'd be shocked if they get anything very close at all to what the Celtics were offering.

The reason the Celtics trade worked and wasn't quite the "overpay" that some have suggested is because the Celtics had the assets to burn so to speak. They could give darn close to Kyrie's fair market value without weakening the rest of their roster. I don't think there are too many teams right now that have that same situation. Maybe the Sixers, but that's about it that I can think of.

See, that is just it though.

The Celtics don't have assets to burn.

Unless their ultimate goal is to be East champs and make a couple Finals appearances. Those assets need to be fully maximized if they ever want to compete with GS.

So, it looks like IT is damaged goods. Celtics will literally get pennies on the dollar for him now. Which means, they can't deal him now. They must wait.

Maybe he proves healthy prior to the trade deadline and the Celtics can get a solid return. Maybe he doesn't. Still isn't worth trading him while his value is in the toilet.