• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins 8 Games In...What should WAS Do?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5! That would seal it for me...bye bye Kirk.

But, I think he will be more reasonable because the FA market for QB is not going to be that strong...really WAS and NYJ are the only teams that are far enough along to invest big money in a QB...I think we'll see Cutler and Cousins on the market....very doubtful Cousins gets top 5 money.

Every team needs something for certain...for starters they need a run stuffing DT/ILB, and maybe an insurance OT now. Jax and Gracon...I don't forsee them spending big on either of their FA WRs, that's 19mil coming off the books...Jeffery will, but Pryor won't cost a ton, becoming a very effective WR.

He's going to command $20M a year putting him in the top 5. He isn't that good.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever they do with Cousins contract it couldn't be any worse than what Dallas has done with Tony Romo's contract. Whether he’s cut or traded, the cap charge will be the same next year — $19.6 million, to sit on the bench or play for someone else.
skin fans remain the very best

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo has $19.6 million remaining of unamortized signing bonus.

Year Prorated Signing Bonus left to pay
2017 10,700,000
2018 5,700,000
2019 3,200,000

Salary cap wise, here's what happens if Tony Romo retires in 2016

From your own link:

There is also a possibility that due to his affinity for the club, Romo could allow the club to release him as what was formerly known as a June 1st cap casualty. If that were the case, then only the 2017 prorated bonus amount ($10.7 million) would hit the cap next year, giving Dallas the savings of Romo’s entire 2017 base salary, $14 million.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to command $20M a year putting him in the top 5. He isn't that good.

If he does, and WAS agrees, I can't see it being any longer than 2 yrs guaranteed with a 3rd yr cheap out. I agree he's not that good.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WAS Redskins and NY Jets both took the cautious "wait a yr and see" approach with their QBs...it's pretty clear NYJ made the right decision and they will be in the QB market again in '17.

But Washington is not so clear so I wanted to throw it out on the big board.

His stat line

8 gms started/ 216 /321 /67% /2390yds/ 7.6 YA / 12 td/7 int/11 sk / 93.1 rating

Record 4-3-1 thru 8 games....two road wins @ BAL and @ NYG

The benchmark contract is probably still Brock Osweiler's deal in HOU...4/$72/$37G

Discuss
What CAN they do? Gotta pay up, no plan B

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What CAN they do? Gotta pay up, no plan B

I'm not sure if they do have a plan B...but if it were me.

Long term deal...my max would be $85mil with a 3rd yr out. That gets him substantially more than Osweiler, but less than more proven 100 mil QBs.

I would not tag him again.

If he signed somewhere else (imo the market is WAS or NYJ)...I would look to the FA market and target Case Keenum as the stop gap QB...and look at the draft...maybe a 2nd rd guy, but I like the ND kid more and more as a pro prospect.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they can keep Romo on the team in 2017 and pay him 14M in salary and 10.7 M in signing bonus toward the cap.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Long term deal...my max would be $85mil with a 3rd yr out. That gets him substantially more than Osweiler, but less than more proven 100 mil QBs.

If he signed somewhere else (imo the market is WAS or NYJ)...I would look to the FA market and target Case Keenum as the stop gap QB...and look at the draft...maybe a 2nd rd guy, but I like the ND kid more and more as a pro prospect.
I think any team that isn't drafting a QB at least every other year is missing the boat. Land a QB that can play, especially an inexpensive one drafted after round one and you're set. Land another and you can sell him for a couple of one's .Just no downside

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Cousins demands a $100m deal...my 1st question is who pays him? CLE, NYJ, SF?...the market is a little thin is my point. He shouldn't have that much leverage.

But let's say somebody does pay it...I would target a guy like Case Keenum for next yr...draft? the ND kid, Kizer Maybe Chad Kelly from Ole MS.
U of M's QB, Wilton Speight...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any team that isn't drafting a QB at least every other year is missing the boat. Land a QB that can play, especially an inexpensive one drafted after round one and you're set. Land another and you can sell him for a couple of one's .Just no downside

Good point, but if you're in a stable QB situation taking a QB in the higher rounds >4 will hurt other positions...in terms of the later rounds, it happens, but finding a Brady or Dak in the later rounds is mostly luck.

The down side if there is one taking a QB so frequently, ST, maybe that late round WR...like the concept, I would say every 3 yrs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally shocked that this thread has almost gone 4 complete pages without one of those Falcons fan blowhards jumping all over your case for calling Matt Ryan a "2nd tier QB"... Has flux2flux taken the week off?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No thanks! Been there - done that. I don't think that the Redskins are planning on another 3-4 yr rebuild & that is essentially what you would be doing w/ your approach. IMO this team is being built with an eye on truly contending next yr and beyond. Cousins is making strides in being comfortable w/ the offense & should have the necessary weapons moving fwd (even if both Jax and Garcon leave).

Why would you want to delay this another several years? Keenum is awful & I don't think that the Redskins need to suffer through a few more subpar seasons to improve. They didn't hire their current GM w/ the intent of improving say in 2020.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks! Been there - done that. I don't think that the Redskins are planning on another 3-4 yr rebuild & that is essentially what you would be doing w/ your approach. IMO this team is being built with an eye on truly contending next yr and beyond. Cousins is making strides in being comfortable w/ the offense & should have the necessary weapons moving fwd (even if both Jax and Garcon leave).

Why would you want to delay this another several years? Keenum is awful & I don't think that the Redskins need to suffer through a few more subpar seasons to improve. They didn't hire their current GM w/ the intent of improving say in 2020.

I disagree that Case sucks, but agree he's a move backwards from Kirk...Then they are all in on Kirk and they don't have a plan B.

I just would refuse to pay Cousins 100 mil...he's not that guy you can count on home and road to deliver consistently and make avg WRs better. If you do pay him that with the way the money is distributed in WAS ...no way they can go get a Jefferies, or another proven WR, with Williams, Kerrigan and Norman's deals...they MUST hit in the draft....much like PIT is facing with Bell, do they trust Williams to stay off the sticky? He's probably facing 10 gms next time. Maybe they need to invest in another LT?

I agree with you on the time lines, but they really have to be confident in the FO people to keep the talent level where it is on OFC and that won't be easy with a 100 mil QB.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that Case sucks, but agree he's a move backwards from Kirk...Then they are all in on Kirk and they don't have a plan B.

I just would refuse to pay Cousins 100 mil...he's not that guy you can count on home and road to deliver consistently and make avg WRs better. If you do pay him that with the way the money is distributed in WAS ...no way they can go get a Jefferies, or another proven WR, with Williams, Kerrigan and Norman's deals...they MUST hit in the draft....much like PIT is facing with Bell, do they trust Williams to stay off the sticky? He's probably facing 10 gms next time. Maybe they need to invest in another LT?

I agree with you on the time lines, but they really have to be confident in the FO people to keep the talent level where it is on OFC and that won't be easy with a 100 mil QB.

I think that they will be able to meet somewhere in the middle such that his salary doesn't handcuff them. I don't want them to get a player like Jefferies. I would rather stick with the younger talent. Again - they found both Reed and Crowder in the middle rounds & those 2 have been the major weapons for Cousins. If Doctson rebounds they should be fine. I think that they really need to find a better RB rather than a WR & those come relatively cheap.

I keep hearing this argument about Cousins only doing well because of his weapons, but he has done very well at times when his primary targets have been injured or unavailable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they will be able to meet somewhere in the middle such that his salary doesn't handcuff them. I don't want them to get a player like Jefferies. I would rather stick with the younger talent. Again - they found both Reed and Crowder in the middle rounds & those 2 have been the major weapons for Cousins. If Doctson rebounds they should be fine. I think that they really need to find a better RB rather than a WR & those come relatively cheap.

I keep hearing this argument about Cousins only doing well because of his weapons, but he has done very well at times when his primary targets have been injured or unavailable.

I'm not saying he's doing well only because of his weapons, every QB needs playmakers around him, but I don't see him as making average players better like the top level QBs.

Crowder is a player, and agree he's more of a find. Reed was highly touted at FL, you expect your 3rd rounders to contribute...the reason he was still on the board in the 3rd was the knock on him was undersized and blocking if I remember, but he killed UGA & TN seemingly every yr.

If Doctson steps up, I think they still would need a WR1/2 and allow Crowder to play the slot but wouldn't be pressed to draft high at that position.

Ultimately, your 1st sentence is the key here...assuming he stays on this path to close, he's earned a good contract...if they can meet in the middle it will be a win win situation.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WAS Redskins and NY Jets both took the cautious "wait a yr and see" approach with their QBs...it's pretty clear NYJ made the right decision and they will be in the QB market again in '17.

But Washington is not so clear so I wanted to throw it out on the big board.

His stat line

8 gms started/ 216 /321 /67% /2390yds/ 7.6 YA / 12 td/7 int/11 sk / 93.1 rating

Record 4-3-1 thru 8 games....two road wins @ BAL and @ NYG

The benchmark contract is probably still Brock Osweiler's deal in HOU...4/$72/$37G

Discuss

I think this is an easy one, and they need to sign him......I think he has played very well, and trying to find a franchise QB has been holding back franchises for years, in some cases, decades....To think you can move on from a very "Solid" at least QB and just find a viable replacement, is silly in todays' NFL........Not to mention an awful looking QB draft as we sit here today

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is an easy one, and they need to sign him......I think he has played very well, and trying to find a franchise QB has been holding back franchises for years, in some cases, decades....To think you can move on from a very "Solid" at least QB and just find a viable replacement, is silly in todays' NFL........Not to mention an awful looking QB draft as we sit here today

I agree...the big issue is how high do they go? Cousins will and should make a nice chunk of change, but when you look at the 'Skin go forward cap situation paying Cousins a 100mil deal might stifle whatever momentum they have....75 to 85 mil is probably where he needs to be.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...the big issue is how high do they go? Cousins will and should make a nice chunk of change, but when you look at the 'Skin go forward cap situation paying Cousins a 100mil deal might stifle whatever momentum they have....75 to 85 mil is probably where he needs to be.

I agree, I guess you have to draw the line with every player, if its going to be at the expense of the team...The Colts may take years to recover from the Luck deal.......It will be interesting to see, because at this rate, there just may be a team(s) that will go to the $100 mill with Cousins, that's just how desperate so many teams are for a QB.....