• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins 8 Games In...What should WAS Do?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32 teams. Middle of the league = 16th or 17th. Add Romo and looking at 17th or 18th. OK, I'll buy that. Now of course I said top 20, not 20th. But I'll go with 17th or 18th...

His QB rating is 15th for this season so far, but 17/18th is fair...agreed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 sacks is trending towards 22 to 25 for the year so I agree on OL, but interesting take...you wouldn't spend it.

Team Quarterback Sacked Per Game: 2016 NFL Season

What? Did you actually just imply that the Redskins O line is giving up too many sacks? LOL. Only the Raiders have given up less sacks. Their O line is not a problem rt now & is the most improved part of the team. As for Cousins - we will see but at this pt it is likely that he will get a big long term extension.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can't tag him again. That's too much for a mediocre QB. I think you are right with the Osweiler contract. He's no Ryan Fitzpatrick that's for sure. I hope he can't find work next year. Fuck that guy.

Exactly the same sentiment that most folks on this forum have towards you loser. Social Justice Warrior? LOL - hard to fight that battle from your parent's basement.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His QB rating is 15th for this season so far, but 17/18th is fair...agreed.
While I like that line of thinking, I can't use it as the be all end all. I'm not a person to use stats alone and definitely not over a short time period. However, if it makes everyone on here have to say that Dak is already the 6th best QB in the entire NFL...I'm in...

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
His value is not only what it would cost to sign him but what it would cost the team not to sign him. Where else can they go to get a QB of his caliber? Cutler would probably be available but I would rather have Cousins. This next draft doesn't look to be very deep at QB.
It's probably going to cost them about $4 million a year more to sign him after this season as opposed to after last season.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His value is not only what it would cost to sign him but what it would cost the team not to sign him. Where else can they go to get a QB of his caliber? Cutler would probably be available but I would rather have Cousins. This next draft doesn't look to be very deep at QB.
It's probably going to cost them about $4 million a year more to sign him after this season as opposed to after last season.

NP. They - like most teams - will figure out a way to address the cap. At this pt I can't imagine them finding anyone better especially since Cousins is so used to the offense and the players around him. He just needs to eliminate the killer mistakes he has made in the past. There is no way to determine that until at least the end of this season. I have no doubt that he will be signed to a big extension - it is just that way it has to be in today's NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team Quarterback Sacked Per Game: 2016 NFL Season

What? Did you actually just imply that the Redskins O line is giving up too many sacks? LOL. Only the Raiders have given up less sacks. Their O line is not a problem rt now & is the most improved part of the team. As for Cousins - we will see but at this pt it is likely that he will get a big long term extension.

I'm really focusing on Cousins, did agree with another post that implied that...wrongly implied, and I wrongly agreed. My bad...No doubt Cousins will get a big long term deal...somewhere...so I take it you think in WAS.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I like that line of thinking, I can't use it as the be all end all. I'm not a person to use stats alone and definitely not over a short time period. However, if it makes everyone on here have to say that Dak is already the 6th best QB in the entire NFL...I'm in...

At a certain point stats make sense, but off this season alone, it's hard to really say where he ranks, but just going off the who would you take over him list...he's going to fall in that 15-18 range imo.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really focusing on Cousins, did agree with another post that implied that...wrongly implied, and I wrongly agreed. My bad...No doubt Cousins will get a big long term deal...somewhere...so I take it you think in WAS.

NP - thought that might be the case. As for Cousins & the Redskins - don't really see how either have much of a choice. Cousins will get his best deal in DC & he is comfortable there. The Redskins don't really have any better options & I don't think that they want to risk everything for an unknown rookie especially considering their experience with RG3.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NP - thought that might be the case. As for Cousins & the Redskins - don't really see how either have much of a choice. Cousins will get his best deal in DC & he is comfortable there. The Redskins don't really have any better options & I don't think that they want to risk everything for an unknown rookie especially considering their experience with RG3.

Thru 8 games, he's played well enough to stick in WAS...The only problem I see...these agent use stats to try and build a case for a certain target price....I can see them targeting a Matt Ryan type contract...103m type deal if his stats are comparable and if I were WAS I would balk and counter with something a little more than what Osweiler got...maybe 80-85m....he will have a couple of options imo, but not a ton...his market will be WAS, CLE, NYJ, maybe CHI, SF...CLE is not going to spend that kind of money on a QB, and I think Kelly will go after the draft pick as well.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thru 8 games, he's played well enough to stick in WAS...The only problem I see...these agent use stats to try and build a case for a certain target price....I can see them targeting a Matt Ryan type contract...103m type deal if his stats are comparable and if I were WAS I would balk and counter with something a little more than what Osweiler got...maybe 80-85m....he will have a couple of options imo, but not a ton...his market will be WAS, CLE, NYJ, maybe CHI, SF...CLE is not going to spend that kind of money on a QB, and I think Kelly will go after the draft pick as well.

Yep. However - I don't see Cousins as the type who values $$ over everything else. I don't think that he will go after big money to play for a struggling team and have to move to a new area and learn a completely different offense. I think that in the end they meet somewhere in the middle.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. However - I don't see Cousins as the type who values $$ over everything else. I don't think that he will go after big money to play for a struggling team and have to move to a new area and learn a completely different offense. I think that in the end they meet somewhere in the middle.

Maybe so...seems like a good guy, but he will want market rate and I don't blame him for that...as long as he doesn't go all in with the agent's number, it should get done.

He's not out of the woods yet, needs to finish off this season strong, but if WAS can keep him for a reasonable price, and keep building around him...WAS can get out of the viscous QB cycle that I fear PIT will go into again when Ben is done.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of weapons? Crowder, Reed, Jackson, Garcon, & Doctson...I know Jackson and Garcon are going north of 30 next yr, and the Doctson hasn't shown much yet, but that's not terrible. So I kind of disagree there.

11 sacks is trending towards 22 to 25 for the year so I agree on OL, but interesting take...you wouldn't spend it.

I was tracking WAS to a 9-7 type season at the outset, and they could still do that...but you would let Cousins go and look towards the draft or a lower level FA it sounds like.

We are talking about resigning Kirk, right? Garcon and Jackson are both UFA next year. Sure he has Crowder and Reed, but what else is known for the future? You bringing back both of those under-performing and aging WR's? At what cost?

My point is that he isn't worth the price he will command based on his ability, his age, and what the team needs right now.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Next year isn't the issue. It is signing him to big money in years 2-4.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about resigning Kirk, right? Garcon and Jackson are both UFA next year. Sure he has Crowder and Reed, but what else is known for the future? You bringing back both of those under-performing and aging WR's? At what cost?

My point is that he isn't worth the price he will command based on his ability, his age, and what the team needs right now.

Except for a few games Jackson has not done much this season & only has 1 TD. Reed missed a few games & the offense still did well. The constant through all of this has been Cousins and very good pass protection. They should do fine even w/o Garcon and Jackson (but will likely keep one). Doctson will still likely contribute next season & they can find another WR in the draft (both Reed and Crowder were mid round picks).

Again - he performs well - his weakness is his tendency to make mistakes. If the team feels he can overcome this he is well worth the big contract. If they don't extend him what is the alternative? I don't think that they want to go through another 2-3 year period working in another QB. I think that this is pretty much a done deal.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya.

I still think they have enough around Cousins (28) for a 5 yr run...I agree you don't bring back both Garcon and Jax, maybe neither depending on the cost...if they want a WR1, go after Alshon Jeffery, or complement guy that has WR1 skills...like a Terrell Pryor.

If he commands a lot more than Osweiler money, the market will be pretty thin...maybe the Jets.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for a few games Jackson has not done much this season & only has 1 TD. Reed missed a few games & the offense still did well. The constant through all of this has been Cousins and very good pass protection. They should do fine even w/o Garcon and Jackson (but will likely keep one). Doctson will still likely contribute next season & they can find another WR in the draft (both Reed and Crowder were mid round picks).

Again - he performs well - his weakness is his tendency to make mistakes. If the team feels he can overcome this he is well worth the big contract. If they don't extend him what is the alternative? I don't think that they want to go through another 2-3 year period working in another QB. I think that this is pretty much a done deal.

Agreed

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lack of weapons? Crowder, Reed, Jackson, Garcon, & Doctson...I know Jackson and Garcon are going north of 30 next yr, and the Doctson hasn't shown much yet, but that's not terrible. So I kind of disagree there.

I was tracking WAS to a 9-7 type season at the outset, and they could still do that...but you would let Cousins go and look towards the draft or a lower level FA it sounds like.

Jackson is a one trick pony speed guy that's aging and won't get any better
Garcon is just another guy. He'll never be a top 20 WR but he's serviceable
Reed is a good TE but their backup has been just as good this season
Doc is a rookie and not proven anything so far

The Redskins are a complete team as they're good at everything but great at nothing which means a 9-7 or 8-8 finish for them.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly on the money part...idk what type of measurement you want to use, but he's probably closer to the middle of the league than 20th.

WAS...that part in bold is what Cousin's agent wants to hear...they have some options...but to keep continuity with Gruden and the progress they've made as an OFC, I think he makes the most sense if the money can be worked out.
He looks like the greatest QB ever when he takes apart the Eagles Defense every year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is a one trick pony speed guy that's aging and won't get any better
Garcon is just another guy. He'll never be a top 20 WR but he's serviceable
Reed is a good TE but their backup has been just as good this season
Doc is a rookie and not proven anything so far

The Redskins are a complete team as they're good at everything but great at nothing which means a 9-7 or 8-8 finish for them.

I hear ya, but you digress...your thoughts on Cousins?